Scoop

Ashley Graham Opens Up about Being Fat-Shamed by her Dad & Overcoming It in New Memoir

BellaNaija.com

29-year-old plus sized model and body activist Ashley Graham stepped out to promote her new memoir “A New Model: What Confidence, Beauty and Power Really Look Like.” which is coming out today.

A few weeks back the model revealed that she was molested at age 10 by a family friend and how she grew up with a verbally abusive father. In her book, she opens up some more about the criticism and fat-shaming she endured by her father when she was growing up.

She says; “Constant criticism – that was my dad through and through, My father was a master of the cutting insult. His nickname for me was, ‘Duh,’ because he didn’t think I was very smart. The worst I ever felt in my entire career was when, a few years into my career, my dad agreed with my new agent, who said I needed to ‘tighten up.’ … I was sobbing because my dad thought I should lose weight.”

Despite her setbacks, Ashley has gone on to be the first curvy model featured in the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue, landed on the cover of Vogue, judged America’s Next Top Model and continues to be an outspoken body positive advocate.

Photo Credit: GettyImages|Andrew Toth

1. charm

May 10, 2017 at 9:08 pm

while m here bn slim shamed

• Tatafo!

May 11, 2017 at 4:18 am

Don’t live your life for the comments of others. I was slim shamed too but it builds up your sensitivity muscle and helps you grow a thick skin. You cannot please everyone and people that love you will do so despite your size.

Find clothes that work well for you and be happy! Build up your self confidence, life is hard enough as it is

2. No fat please

May 10, 2017 at 9:53 pm

Fat people constantly reminding us how people ‘fat Shame’ them okay madam but we know say fat women so maybe your dad was helping you indirectly for you to tighten up.

• Adunnie

May 12, 2017 at 1:21 am

Your comment is silly and distasteful. It’s not compulsory to drop a comment

3. Roman God

May 10, 2017 at 11:33 pm

Hot vanilla! I want!!

4. Miss_Flygerian

May 11, 2017 at 12:41 am

Her shape is amazing though.