Career

Nigerian Photographer The Alfe Presents ‘Tropical Dreams’ on BN Style

BellaNaija Style

Nigerian Photographer The Alfe Presents Tropical Dreams on Bn Beauty

Femi Alabede aka The Alfe is an alumus of Covenant University, though he studied Chemistry, his creative side seems to be taking dominance as he loves to paint portraits but photography remains his first love. He is based in the metropolitan city of Lagos and he specialises in fashion and beauty photography. He draws inspiration from Kelechi Amadi-Obi, Mario Testino and Leonardo DaVinci.

Tropical Dreams by The Alfe.

Tropical dreams are my delicate attempt of interpreting my enthrallment with a beautiful Japanese culture. It all started with a bunch of bamboos lying idly at a construction site, its tropical feel reminded me of my fascination with Japan. So with a fabulous tailor, gracious model, terrific makeup artist and my precious bamboo, I brought life to my dream through the lens of my camera.

The bamboo is very symbolic in Japan, it represents not only prosperity but purity and innocence, the kimono is representative of the culture and heritage and worn at important occasions. It was an amazing experience starting this new series and I invite you to join me on this wonderful journey

See the shoot

Credits
Photography/Set Design/Styling: Femi Alabede | @the.alfe
Model: Vivian Atueyi @vivian.a.anna | @zaharamodels
Make up: Eniola Lawal | @aphroditebeautyhub
Other Contributors: Jaiyeola Adesubomi @jadevisuals | Falade Lukmon @falade_Lukmon | Constance Ajayi-Igunbor @stanajayi

1. TEMI

May 20, 2017 at 3:45 am

Too Asian…stay in your culture…. Africa is so big with strong culture

2. Bennie

May 20, 2017 at 8:16 am

I agree with Temi, pls do something we can relate to though this is equally nice

3. Nina

May 20, 2017 at 10:40 am

Because if it does not depict african or nigerian culture, you can not relate?. Maybe broaden your world view instead of asking him to narrow his work. some people sha.

• Tee

May 20, 2017 at 3:33 pm

This is not about broadening one’s world view, it is about labeling, this is clearly misrepresentation, am appalled when a so called graduate does this sort of thing, its the photographer cum artist who should broaden his world view. What is presented here is clearly an attempt to copy oriental art and fashion. for your information :-
      The tropics are the region of the Earth near to the equator and between the Tropic of Cancer in the northern hemisphere and the Tropic of Capricorn in the southern hemisphere.
      Please check the world map, china is clearly not tropical. This issue goes deeper; as younger people can easily be confused since many have no opportunity to experience other cultures and places.
      Please let’s call a spade a spade !

4. fancynancy

May 20, 2017 at 11:23 am

I am not understanding

5. MadamYe...

May 20, 2017 at 1:33 pm

Tropical or Oriental? I am not understanding???

6. Maryam

May 20, 2017 at 10:48 pm

Too all these people saying stay in your culture Sharap! When big designers in the abroad portray African cultures in their designs don’t we dance and sing and proclaim them fashion heroes showcasing Africa to the world. The young man said he is fascinated with Japanese culture and he tried to depict that in his work. Ahan! Appreciate they young blood! Please Mr Alabede continue your hustle, you are quite talented. @Madam the bamboos give it a tropical feel… I think