BN TV

Should Men be Paid Higher than Women for the Same Job? WATCH this BattaBox Vox Pop on BN TV

BN TV

In a new edition of Battabox‘s Street Gist with Odunayo Oti, individuals share their thoughts on whether men should earn more than women in the same job.

WATCH:

1. Engoz

May 18, 2017 at 6:10 pm

In Nigeria, yes. The Nigerian society expects men to be the providers in the general scheme of things, so they should be paid more. Only people who don’t believe in the separation of roles, should argue otherwise. Nigerian women want to be taken care of by men. I believe companies investing equal pay in this group is a rip off. There is no economic benefit in a group that argues your money is her money, but her money is hers. The group is not advanced enough to begin to advocate for equal pay.

• LemmeRant

May 18, 2017 at 8:06 pm

Thank you very much, exactly what I’ve been saying on this issue.

I was all for “pay according to work done irrespective of gender” till I started hearing sh*t like: my husband’s money is our money, my money(wife) is only my money.

I remember it was on this same blog that I read the story of a man who was earning less than 50k/month and the wife earning 150+k/month, but the wife wouldn’t contribute anything and still expect the man to take care of all the financial obligations in the house including hers.
      Like how does that fly?

Maybe when Nigerian women stop seeing men as an atm…

• Adunnie

May 19, 2017 at 10:16 am

Engoz I don’t agree with you this time and I always feel your comment. So for those of us who are not waiting around to be “taken care of” by a man why should we be held to the same fate? What of widows and single mothers who are working tirelessly to feed their children? This is a very wrong mentality. Women should be paid the same amount a man is being paid for the same service. That whole men are providers should not be used as an excuse. A lot of women who don’t even earn as much as their husbands are contributing seriously to their home. I know someone who works as a civil servant and her husband is a banker(top position) for this man to bring out money in the house na war. He is seriously stingy jeez. And if you see him always looking good in expensive suits. A stingy person is a stingy person. All the women that say their money is theirs and his is ours are stingy. Not every woman belongs to that stupid school of thought and not all of us care for any man’s silly money. So people should be paid equally according to service rendered irrespective of gender. I can’t be putting in the same number of hours and days or even more than my male colleagues and at the end of the month I get paid less because I’m a woman. Did I ask to come into this world as a female? Why should I be suffering because I’m female? What rubbish is that?

• Nito

May 19, 2017 at 7:43 pm

Forget society expectation. if a woman does the same job as a man, they should be paid same. Regardless of what rules that happens in the home. I am all for equality and can carry placard on this matter besides not everyone is married.

2. Vera

May 18, 2017 at 6:37 pm

Equal pay would cause anarchy in Nigeria. There’s no point to it in Nigeria where a woman who earns as much or even more than her partner still expects him to foot all the bills and give her pocket money. It would cause chaos in Nigeria where women are given money in exchange for sex and this applies to those who are in a committed relationship and those who are have casual sex. It would deeply upset the balance of things. It’s not Nigerians turn to talk about equal pay because even the educated people in that country have not fully grasped the economic and social responsibilities that comes with equal pay. Let’s for now focus on fighting poverty,FGM, lack of education and the likes. At least for these ones there is a conscensus on the need to move forward.

3. funmilola

May 18, 2017 at 7:43 pm

What sort of mumu question is this?
    Pay according to work input, not gender!

• word

May 18, 2017 at 9:29 pm

Ah its not a mumu question, my sister. It is happening for real. For those oga them up there talking thrash about men earning more cos of responsibilities, abeg dont even flatter yourselves. You will assume you need better pay than your female counterpart only because your woman or the one you imagine to have is the instagram pepper-dem gang kinda girls. Work in the corporate world with okay earnings and you will be amazed at the percentage of your female colleagues that are breadwinners. As a banker of a good number of years, seeing the jaw-dropping number of married women who either bear their families’ bills or a greater portion of it, makes me wonder.

4. nnenne

May 19, 2017 at 1:37 am

Who is suggesting that Nigerian women don’t have enough financial responsibilities?
    Is it because our culture forbids women from working from the front row, in order not to rattle the fragile egos our men?
    If you all know how many families, elderly parents, extended families that are dependent on their wives, mother, daughter. Not even the professionals in offices but those in the market!
    How about our widows and women who have no man to support them?

If salaries are to be negotiated according to people’s needs, then some men need to earn even more than others. Polygamous men should earn more than monogamous men. People with more kids, should earn more.
    Ridiculous! !!!