BN TV

“Why are Yoruba Men demons?” – Watch Episode 2 of Funmi Iyanda’s New Vlog

BN TV

Veteran media star Funmi Iyanda has officially launched her “Ask Funmi” vlog series on her YouTube channel and we can’t wait to keep up with the several tips and videos she’ll be sharing as the vlogs will be focusing on everything from relationships to politics and more.

In this 3 part episode, Funmi answers the following questions:

1. The question has always been why do men cheat? Why do men cheat?

2. Why are Yoruba men demons?

3. Hello, Ms Funmi, I am 19 and I came to the U.S. at 13. As you may know, kids are horrible and being different, I was a target of their bullying. It left me with low self-esteem and anxiety that I still suffer from today. I returned to Nigeria about a year ago and stayed for five months. I noticed my self-esteem increased and my anxiety calmed, maybe it has to do with the Nigerian spirit and just being around my people. I didn’t feel the need to question myself.
I’ve since returned and noticed my self-esteem issues and anxiety are back.
I’m not sure what to do Ms Funmi. I’ve tried therapy by the way if that was your recommendation.

Are there things that you’ve practised that I can implement in my life? Thank you!

Watch!

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

1. bitumen

May 2, 2017 at 8:24 pm

I know,because why has a long tail and two branches. Next

2. step77

May 3, 2017 at 7:04 am

I spy
    1. Nose job
    2. Filllers? Botox?
    3. Looking fly!

3. Damilola

May 3, 2017 at 9:40 am

This is one of most honest, intelligent things I have watched on the internet! This is absolutely amazing! Thumbs up Ms Iyanda!

4. funmi

May 3, 2017 at 12:42 pm

Nobody cares Elder Funmi! Irrelavant ! Next!

5. Concerned_Boyfriend

May 3, 2017 at 7:37 pm

Ms Iyanda’s psycho-analysis of the concept of marriage and sexual relationships within the Yoruba culture were grossly flawed. While I applaud her bravery delving into such a complex discourse, her narratives on the concept of ownership, sex and entrepreneurship of Yoruba women were grossly misinformed. First of all, ownership is bedrock of Yoruba culture and it is very stringent. The concept of marriage in Yoruba culture is total dominance of the woman hence the Bride Price, betrothing the wife to the husband family after his death just to mention a few. One important thing she said that really resonated with me was that the Yoruba male has been culturally conditioned that it is ok to have multiple sexual partners. I think that is the fundamental truth and the rationale behind the “Demon” moniker. Human behaviors are directly influenced by what we see around us. We all are products of our environments.

• Manny

May 18, 2017 at 9:27 pm

total dominance of the woman???? NOPE. Look beyond the surface. What you see now is very much influenced by Judeo-Christian values. The role and status of Yoruba women have evolved, I would say negatively, since precolonial times.
      In Yorubaland, women are greater than men. Even the most powerful man in any village has to make obeisance to women. If you are interested, you can read the wikipedia entry on Iyami Osoronga/Iyami Aje. We are a culture that has had great women leaders. Women are chiefs in their own rights. Women were members of the Oyo Mesi. Who had ownership over Bilikisu Sungbo? From oral history, we know of Efunsetan, who was married several times (not widowed) and reigned as Iyalode of Ibadan for several years.
      There are so many stories about how our mothers were ill-treated but you know what, talk to your grandmothers and they had different experiences in their relationships with men. My grandmother once said that no man in her village would dare beat a woman because he didn’t know if his wife was a witch/had a bird. As Christianity came and people stopped engaging in non-christian practices, refusing to follow their mothers to shrines etc, the men became emboldened. Christianity preached submission, which the men ran with.
      You talk about betrothing a widow to her brother-in-law from a western point of view, not stopping to think that it might have been the widow’s choice. It’s the same way people equate the muslim headscarf with subjugation. I know 3 older relatives that were “shu lo po” and they were given a choice. As a matter of fact, my paternal grandmother declined to marry my grandfather’s brother. She was quite industrious and didn’t need the security of a man. A less industrious woman might have readily agreed.
      Efunsetan married several times because she couldn’t have a child. She did what Yoruba women have always done according to the Yoruba belief that some couples are not destined to have children together. If after several years, a woman doesn’t have children, she is advised to try her luck with another man. Ebenezer Obey’s mom couldn’t have children with her first husband, for more than 20 years. Everybody moved and within a year of being married to another man, she was pregnant.
      Where is this ownership you talk of?

6. aunty

May 3, 2017 at 11:53 pm

after those rubbish posts she made about Tboss, she lost her credibility before me. shes a fraud