Features

Worji Martul: Do You Really Need That Much Lip Liner?

I love seeing women beautify themselves. Getting ready is an entrancing process and is sometimes actually more exciting than the actual reason/place/person we are getting ready for (I enjoy getting ready for weddings, I hate weddings themselves. Shout out if you are in the same category).

The getting ready process: body scrubs, warms showers, beautifully scented and lush body creams, the sensuality of rubbing all that into smooth chocolatey skin, the warmth, the smoothness, the delicious scents. All a daily ritual which is an intensely sensual experience.

Then moving on to the vanity table to continue the primping, the change from basic normal to pepperdemgang fabulous. It is really amazing; the flattering colours, choosing what features to highlight and which to conceal depending on our mood, and how we feel and what God has blessed us with, looks wise. Sometimes, or most times depending on our choice, make up can speak volumes and send out messages that don’t need to be vocalised. Bright red: fearless go get them woman. You understand what I mean.

Now, there are some make up trends I have been trying to understand without any success. I will need your help to understand them as it is possible that I am just old or feeling left behind.

What is the interest in wearing make up that changes our soft feminine and beautiful features and makes us look like hard faced trannies? Could someone tell me the appeal in highlighting and contouring to the point of looking grey faced and nothing like yourself? I don’t understand the appeal, but I won’t dwell on this as “every Mallam has his own kettle”.

My bone of contention today (please don’t crucify me) is women of African descent and Africans, who over line their lips. I will be really grateful, if someone can take the time to explain the point to me.

Over lining lips is a technique thin-lipped women use to achieve the look of fullness that we are already over abundantly blessed with to give them an illusion of plumpness, so why are we, who are blessed with full and plump well defined mouths. over lining? Sometimes the crime of rounding out the cupids bow (sorry I don’t know how else to describe it) just makes the person look like a caricature of themselves.

It makes zero sense to just copy a trend without understanding the HOWs and the WHYs, and paste it on a sister’s face making her look clownish, rather than glamorous/gorgeous.

The next time you think about over lining your lips, please ask yourself, what point exactly you are trying to make? It unfortunately makes you look, in the most diplomatic terms, less than smart.

I beg do not crucify me, I needed to share and probably understand some things that are  probably over my head.
I promise the next thing I write will be positive and motivating. I am not a hater, just a sister who cares.

Photo Credit: DiversityStudio1 | Dreamstime.com

Worji is currently earning her living as a Recruiter for a HR firm while dreaming about her ideal life and self. Unfortunately the dreams are long on ideals and very very short on workable plans

1. Vee

May 28, 2017 at 3:13 pm

Photos would have made this article easier to understand

2. Ekwu

May 28, 2017 at 3:39 pm

Photos would’ve been helpful really

3. TheTruth

May 28, 2017 at 3:48 pm

Exactly, photos would have been helpful. Seems like your using this platform as a way to ‘hate’ smh, very pointless.

4. Preggy and lovin' it

May 28, 2017 at 5:29 pm

I even feel like she’s directing this post to someone in particular.Otherwise, this post makes no sense without visuals and just a calculated attempt to hate.

5. king Bey

May 28, 2017 at 6:27 pm

Lol is it your lining

• Mohammad

May 28, 2017 at 7:33 pm

Helep me axe am o! Is it your lining? Or your lips for that matter? By the way, if you haven’t haven’t gotten the memo, the word “trannies” is a slur. Your point might have been better made with more sensitive language, or considered humour.

6. Tri.

May 28, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Another trend I don’t get is black women wearing blush. I’m like ‘ we don’t blush or get flushed ‘! It’s an European – white thing so why would a black women, specifically African with a dark skin complexion apply blusher? Am I missing something hear?

• Mz Socially Awkward....

May 28, 2017 at 10:36 pm

I’m an African woman, born of African parents and I also happen to be light skinned.

When I’m embarrassed, harassed or angry, heat rises to my face and I flush. This means my ears start to burn and as I feel my heart beating faster and the blood rising to my face.

You can’t make that assumption for all of us black women.

• Tri

May 29, 2017 at 7:56 pm

Mz Socially Awkward, I specifically mentioned African women with dark skin. Like duh!

• Mz Socially Awkward....

May 30, 2017 at 12:11 am

No, you said, “we don’t blush or get flushed ‘! It’s an European – white thing….”, before you said anything else more specific.

If you hadn’t started with your generalisation, I wouldn’t have taken any real notice of your comment. However, now that I have, something else you seemingly need to learn is that everyone blushes. Being dark-skinned or African (since you maintain it must be a “European thing”) does not make you immune to it. The only real differentiator is that some skin types reveal the reaction much more clearly than some others.

Your assumption is just as incorrect as the long held claim that Africans don’t get sunburnt (& therefore, don’t need sunscreen).

So before you jump back in with your “like, duh” rejoinders (are you a 4 year old? Even teenagers have stopped sounding this incoherent….. They’ve quickly realised that if you talk like a child, you get treated like a child), try and gain informed understanding of the subject you’re attempting to argue about.

• Tri.

May 30, 2017 at 2:31 am

Clap for yourself Mz Socially Awkward, hope you feel much better about yourself after the long lecture. Now back to the basic- wearing blusher. I am yet to encounter a dark skinned person of African descent who turns physically pink or red in the face when they blush like a Caucasian, have you? Exactly my point! Hence my incredulity on the need for blusher on a dark skin.
      P.S Last I looked, ‘ like duh’ is an expression of sarcasm not limited to the vocabulary of a toddler. Now run along.

7. oniqer

May 28, 2017 at 10:35 pm

every mallam to its kettle and you still went ahead to write anarticle on overlining.

8. Uberhaute looks

May 28, 2017 at 11:25 pm

I love this article. I’m a makeup artist and I hope for the day my people would embrace skin.
    Over lining can also be done by Africans who have thin lips but to me, if it’s not for editorial, it comes off as ridiculous.
    As far as our method of application is concerned, I’ll say ‘he who pays the piper dictates the tune’ @Worji

@Tri, I love blush and I use it both personally and professionally. You have to know where and what colour to apply. Makeup is fun and there are no rule but there are still basic rules that will help your no rule.
    #peace

• Tri

May 29, 2017 at 7:59 pm

It just looks weird to me seeing a dark skinned person with pink blush on- it doesn’t make logical sense.

9. Pamela

May 29, 2017 at 6:39 am

Who’s this one? Aunty get your facts right! It’s full-lipped women that should line their lips to make them look smaller. The small-lipped people don’t even need to line their lips. Is it the cost of buying good make up products that’s paining you? Confess let’s help your life and stop hating!

10. Shaday

May 29, 2017 at 9:56 am

Lol… Smh
    Now let me school you… Lipliner is for every lip type, thin or full. You can use it based on the type of look you want to achieve. Eg. If you have fuller lips but want to achieve thinner looker ones, you can line just within the corners of your lipline to give an illusion of thinner lips. If you have thinner lips but want fuller ones, then line outside the corners of your lip line to give the illusion of fuller lips. One other trick I also use is softly bite and suck on my lips for sometime before applying lip color, to give that sultry pout, since there’s no bae to do that for me. Lol! So, tadah! Lipliner for president.

11. Zedzed

May 30, 2017 at 4:32 pm

Reading this just brings to mind Ronke Raji’s make up pictures. Captures exactly how I see her over lined lips!!

• MadamYe...

May 30, 2017 at 7:44 pm

I think this ‘rant’ should we call it was in/directly aimed at her….Because….Well where is the lie?