Scoop

Final Year Student expelled from Redeemer’s University just before Graduation for Posting “certain messages on social media platforms”

The story of Debo Adedayo, aka Mr. Macaroni, has been trending on social media after the actor and TV host who was also recently a final year student at Redeemer’s University revealed that he had been expelled from the university because of some posts he put up on social media.

He shared the expulsion letter from the school which read that they were expelling him because he “recently posted certain messages on some social media platforms which are offensive and portrayed the Redeemer’s University and some of its officials in bad light”.

See the expulsion letter below.

Explaining what led to the expulsion, Mr. Macaroni wrote on his Instagram page:

PLEASE READ:
Most of you would observe that I have been silent about Redeemer’s University lately. For those of you who know about my University life, most of you called me and sent me series of text messages 2 weeks ago asking why I didn’t go for my convocation.. this and that… as it was quite clear that I should have graduated in flying colors.

Well, the management of Redeemer’s University denied me of my joy that day. I had waited so long for that day, and while waiting, I served Redeemer’s University with all my life. First as Social Director in my 300Level and then as President of both the student association and the graduating class. I ask anyone reading this to call anyone he or she knows in Redeemer’s University including the management that dislikes me so much and ask who Debo Adedayo (Mr Macaroni) is.

If they will speak the truth with the fear of God, they will tell you that I served the University with all my life and heart. I can’t plunge into the achievements of my administration in Redeemer’s University because you will get tired. I used everything that God blessed me with to promote Redeemer’s University. I left Redeemer’s University a debtor. All my life savings was used in paying school fees for other students and making sure students were at least comfortable in the most possible way. Please just ask around.

For me, leadership was and still is service, selflessness and sacrifice through discipline, integrity and accountability to those we as leaders claim to be of service to and by God’s grace in whose name I swear, this was what I stood for. I wrote my final exams, defended my project and was awaiting convocation when I was summoned by the management of the University saying I posted certain things that put the University in bad light. Excuse me? In all my posts, I never mentioned the name of the University nor the name of any of her official.

Yet on the 12th of this month, I received a letter of Expulsion for this supposed reason. I have been patient enough with the management of the University. That I wasn’t given the joy to graduate on that day I waited patiently for broke my heart.

Yet, I was willing to let that go out of love for my University. Now look what I have been greeted with. I am trying to understand the reasons behind this action by the mgt of the University.

Could it be because for the first time in history, my administration refused to give the Vice-Chancellor and Director of Student affairs awards on our students appreciation day as we reached the conclusion that they didn’t deserve it? Or could it be because my administration fought passionately for students rights; food, water, light scarcity? Could it be because I stood for the rights of students when they were falsely accused of defrauding the University….. the list is endless as I am still trying to help the University find a reason for her action.

I can go on and on, but I would simply rest my case for now as my parents have decided to take legal action against the management of the University. I am bringing this to your attention because of the concern you have all shown and also so that everyone I have advertised Redeemer’s University to can see how exactly I am being paid back for my dedication. You haven’t heard the last of this. Thank you. P.S: all comments or opinions shared on my page in no way represent my position about the University or anyone in it. Please be advised.

See the original post he shared on social media leading to his expulsion below.

He captioned “This is the reason why I have been expelled from Redeemer’s University after years of passionate service and sacrifice to the University. I didn’t lead a riot as president of the Students Association, I didn’t steal, I didn’t fight, I didn’t break any rules and regulation. I posted this after a meeting with Prof Wande Abimbola. The school mgt invited me for an ‘interaction’ and right there, I was told that the school mgt feels that this post is about them. I repeated times without number that the post is simply an expression on issues of life and has nothing to do with Reedemer’s University. They however wanted me to admit by all means necessary that I was referring to the mgt of Redeemer’s University which I refused to. I was asked to Go and weeks later I was denied the joy of attending my own Convocation. Now, I am greeted with a letter of expulsion for this post that I insist wasn’t for Reedemer’s University or anyone in it.”

Photo Credit: Instagram.com/mrmacaroni1

1. stone

October 13, 2017 at 3:45 am

Go straight to court. What nonsense. Daddy ko Daddy ni.

2. Meee

October 13, 2017 at 4:06 am

Wow, just wow. I don’t even know what to say.

3. Temi

October 13, 2017 at 4:21 am

Legal action no stories. If you need funding let us know…imagine this is bullying.

4. kkay

October 13, 2017 at 4:53 am

SUE THEM!
    Some hide under Christianity to perpetrate wickedness. What type of a vindictive Christian University adminstration is this?!
    I am a Christian but the action of this University panel is not Christ-like. HYPOCRITES!!

• TEE

October 13, 2017 at 9:04 am

Too many pretentious christians in naija, they will claim to be ‘God fearing’ , but deep down perpetuate deceit and destroy lives, i will never send my children to these sort of instituions.

5. Funmilola

October 13, 2017 at 7:02 am

Recovery of destiny program..what’s that????

• Bensala

October 14, 2017 at 2:01 am

Ehn, don’t mind those “awon oloriburuku” jati jati. Why don’t they send their children and grandchildren to “Recovery of Destiny” program inside a Lagoon.

6. Dame

October 13, 2017 at 8:12 am

Devils. SUE THEIR ASS. IF YOU NEED TO RAISE A GO-FUND ME TO RAISE FUNDS OR THE NECESSARY INTERNATIONAL ATTENTION THIS CASE NEEDS PLEASE COUNT ME IN.

RUBBISH

NIGERIANS AND RESPECT.
    POCKET IT
    RADARADA

• Poster

October 13, 2017 at 10:04 am

I do please how do I contact you

7. LemmeRant

October 13, 2017 at 8:43 am

Lol. They’ll go back on Sunday now and start preaching forgiveness.

These Universities like to play God over peoples lives. So what is Reedemers University trying to teach us now, don’t express yourself? Keep your opinions to yourself?

The last one was in Unilag where a babe was rusticated for 2 years for twerking on a statue. Where does this nonsense stop?

Let’s say na better University now, where the degree they’re giving you actually has value now, E for better.
    This is Church built with congregation. Money o.

8. Mama

October 13, 2017 at 10:35 am

Ermm, i beg to differ (a little). For the record, i agree that the punishment is harsh and should be recinded but the poster truly cannot claim to be completely innocent going by that his post. Obviously, it is targeted at someon and vc is mentinoned. .But which of you studying outside Nigeria can write about your school’s president et al. on social media in such a manner? Where I studied, at the beginning of every school you take an ICT test, part of which has to do with your online conduct. Basically, you are told to
    watch your online language and you click ‘agree’. We know schools like Redeemers probably have such rules, and he may even have signed one or two papers in agreement. Anyways, better to be humble if you have indeed broken a school rule than to enter into a long drawn out legal battle you may not win.

• Jay

October 13, 2017 at 11:02 am

Hi Mama, saying that his comment was directed at the Management of Redeemer’s University is ‘speculative’ at best, hence the management’s attempt at forcing him to admit that he was referring to them or a particular person in his post. I think he has a case, even if he had earlier consented to not posting anything derogatory about the University. No names were mentioned here, so he is home free.

In my opinion what the management may have done was let him off with a strong warning and probably compel him to attend a course/seminar on the long term effects leaving negative foot prints on social media has on your career and probably your life as a whole.
      His 4 years cannot go to waste and the school should not be on the driver’s seat on this one…my two cents.

• alloy

October 13, 2017 at 11:19 am

unnecessary sycophancy of authority has gotten Nigeria where it is today. Schools, adults, pastors, politicians, men in marriages, etc. Everyone just playing god. A mean and vindictive god. Why do people genuinely become afraid when others want to challenge authority. Anyway, dont even know why schools like Covenant and Redeemers exist. Controlling adults as if that’s what Christianity is about

October 13, 2017 at 11:21 am

your comment deserves a dislike button!

• Mama

October 13, 2017 at 12:08 pm

@No…Or you can just express your dislike right here while waiting for BN to heed your request for a special button.

• Mrs M

October 16, 2017 at 5:46 pm

Aunty Mama please show me where he mentioned the University’s name
      Even if he did,haven’t they just justified the posts with their actions
      Nonsense
      Pls where are the lawyers and human right activists in the house
      Help this young man
      That’s how Coventry ruined my friends life by rusticating him in Year 3 and na their children they do worse
      One person speaks up against injustice and everyone loses sleep
      Rubbish and nonsense!!!

9. Mama

October 13, 2017 at 11:17 am

@Jay…I guess that*s another way to look at it. Indeed, I agree that corrective rather than punitive measures should have been the management*s course of action. Four years of hard work should not be allowed to waste; It does both parties (and society) no good.

10. Smoking Joe

October 13, 2017 at 12:08 pm

Redeemers Varsity, GIVE THE MAN his certificate. Dont get worried by the antics of excited or easily excitable youths

11. Papermoon

October 13, 2017 at 12:52 pm

LAWYER UP!!!!!!#

12. I_I

October 13, 2017 at 1:31 pm

Hmmm. I was on this Dude’s side until I read his comment. I kinda side with the university on this: his comment shows he isn’t fit and proper in conduct to graduate from the university. If there is a genuine issue with the university, and you address those issues, its a different thing from just throwing insults online. You could hide behind “not mentioning names”, but that also implies that you own whatever connotations are reached from your online post.

• Papermoon

October 13, 2017 at 5:26 pm

“I kinda side with the university on this: his comment shows he isn’t fit and proper in conduct to graduate from the university. ”

Really why, is it that he did not make the grades, or he committed a crime?
      What makes him unfit

• bb

October 18, 2017 at 1:03 pm

in rochas voice you are verrrrry stupid

13. COOL

October 13, 2017 at 1:56 pm

Mr I_I, u must be running mad, how dare support a notion to expel someone bcos they throw a proper and well deserved insults to those that deserved it. DOnt destroyed Christianity by bullying those under you.

14. josdaily

October 13, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Get yourself a lawyer and sue. Include emotional;l and financial damages too

15. Opinion

October 14, 2017 at 12:58 am

Whilst I agree that the punishment is too harsh, I believe he deserves some type of punishment maybe a suspension because there is a certain level of decorum that anyone passing through a higher institution should have.

Graduating isn’t only about fulfilling academic requirements….there is also a code of conduct that has to be fulfilled….No one is immune to this authority, not even student union leaders.

There are ways to address grievances without resorting to cowardly disrespect or acts of insubordination.

I don’t believe in sycophancy either….that’s another extreme….and being respectful doesn’t make you a sycophant….different dictionary meanings too…

In the real world, you have to master the art of communicating in a respectful manner even when you’re fighting for your rights….moreso in a public forum….it’s called manners….I wish him well.

• Sha

October 14, 2017 at 2:38 am

You hit the nail on the head. There were so many other private universities and he chose Redeemers. Which service was he referring to. .. the one done in bitterness abi? He better goes back and beg.. Suing the varsity is not the answer; I imagine he had signed an agreement which nailed him and he didn’t remember that before writing rubbish. Obviously he passed through the university but the university did not pass through him.

16. Similoluwa

October 14, 2017 at 11:08 am

You can sign the petition to recall Debo here – https://www.change.org/p/vc-run-edu-ng-the-recall-of-debo-adebayo