Scoop

#DayOfTheGirl Child: “At age 15, I started struggling to help my widowed mother” – Omotola opens up on Beginnings

That 12-year-old Iyana-Ipaja girl did take care of her widowed mum - Omotola opens up on Beginnings in Celebration of Girl Child Day - BellaNaija

Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde

Veteran Nollywood actress Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde has opened up on her beginnings in an affecting Instagram post, in celebration of the International Day of the Girl Child.

Omotola wrote about losing her father at age 12, trying to support her mother, being burdened with rumours and fears of slander and a lack of freedom her male counterparts did not have.

But she triumphed, supporting her mother until she passed, she wrote. “Don’t you dare underestimate the possibilities of a girl child.”

See the text and the post below:

On today’s girl child day I’ll do an unusual post true to me.

As a child I lost my father age 12. Sponsored by a great community of Ondo men, the #Ekimogun club, so I could continue my education.

At age 15, started struggling to help my widowed mother. I started working in the Entertainment Industry. While going to school, and working, faced many challenges as a female child… talks of being loose, perhaps being a prostitute, lack of freedom to mingle like male counterparts, rumours and fear of slander, sexual harassments…

But one of my early dreams was to be great at whatever I chose and be side by side the best in the World. I’m Not totally there yet, … but..

That 12 year old iyanaipaja little girl did take care of her widowed mum till she died, took care of her younger brothers… they are in marriage stages now, taking care of herself and their own family, taking care of a few people she is privileged to be able to.

She has worked, spoken on, been awarded on World stages , and has been compared to the people she admired when growing up , from other parts of the World… She’s still a work in progress but…

Dont You dare Underestimate the possibilities of a girl Child.
#Educationiskey#Educationbreedsconfidence #Ressilience#deligience #Girlchild#internationaldayofgirlchild#impossibleisNothing

View this post on Instagram

On today's girl child day I'll do an unusual post true to me. As a child I lost my father age 12. Sponsored by a great community of Ondo men, the #Ekimogun club, so i could continue my education. At age 15, started struggling to help my widowed mother. I started working in the Entertainment Industry. While going to school, and working, faced many challenges as a female child… talks of being loose, perhaps being a prostitute,lack of freedom to mingle like male counterparts, rumours and fear of slander, sexual harassments… but one of my early dreams was to be great at whatever I chose and be side by side the best in the World. I'm Not totally there yet, … but.. That 12 years old iyanaipaja little girl did take care of her widowed mum till she died, took care of her younger brothers… they are in marriage stages now, taking care of herself and her own family, taking care of a few people she is privileged to be able to. She has worked, spoken on, been awarded on World stages , and has been compared to the people she admired when growing up , from other parts of the World… She's still a work in progress but… Dont You dare Underestimate the possibilities of a girl Child. #Educationiskey #Educationbreedsconfidence #Ressilience #deligience #Girlchild #internationaldayofgirlchild #impossibleisNothing

A post shared by Omotola Jalade-Ekeinde (@realomosexy) on

1. U wish

October 11, 2017 at 7:12 pm

Angelina Jolie kor Annie Idibia ni. And this our story just had to come now that Genny news be trending for her role in the British drama… #TheSkyIsBigEnough.

• IYAWO KEKERE

October 11, 2017 at 10:00 pm

Stoooooopet. Wetin, today is the International day of the girl child. Why must she hide her lamp just becos Genny is trending. Take your own advise, the sky is big enough for everyone to shine.

2. Hotchick

October 11, 2017 at 7:55 pm

@ U Wish. “The sky is big enough.”

3. Awesome

October 11, 2017 at 9:06 pm

Really, Omotala is a case study! Is that what the crave for relevancy has turned her into. What’s the relationship between the story she shared and the picture she posted. Wetin concerned Girl Power and what an American Cinematography had to say about her several years ago.
    She should be there shooting movie in Ibandan and dwelling in old glory of an old Nigerian movie when her mates has stepped up !

4. Letty

October 11, 2017 at 10:00 pm

How on earth is omotola angelina jolie. The most highly overrated actress in nigeria. It sure took her a long time to pen this. Always looking for adulation and validation. Some Nigerians such as omotola sure take themselves way way more highly than they ought..

5. Lilo

October 11, 2017 at 10:08 pm

[email protected] omotola. She has got to be the most calculating and overrated actress in nollywood.

• Sunshiney

October 12, 2017 at 12:58 pm

Nah, there are some real horrible actors in Nollywood these days… Biola Ige… need I say more. She wasn’t bad but wasn’t great either, she’s a good actress, I actually miss seeing her.

6. Awesome

October 12, 2017 at 12:07 am

But this Omotala get major issues ooo. What’s the relationship between International Girls Child Day and what an American Cinematographer said about her years ago…? Her mates are busy with big stuffs and while she is busy shooting Shadow abi Pity Party in Ibandan. The crave for relevancy is now the new trend,!

7. Honestina

October 12, 2017 at 12:48 am

Angelina Jolie of Nigeria according to cinematographer vrs Julia Roberts of Africa according to Oprah. Pick your Fave people

8. Oj

October 12, 2017 at 8:20 am

Deep down in your heart u wish ur favorite star was lyk Omotola trust u me.U r so bitter dat her long reign n relevance pisses u off n bcos of dat u can’t even really see de connection between her pic n post.But of course decerning n objective minds can understand ur lack of understanding after all Omotola was speaking to decerning but not shallow minded people who r full of hate.Keep on inspiring Queen sexy with brains OmoT.People who understand star quality know ur worth,status n influence.

• iquo

October 12, 2017 at 8:34 am

@Oj My goodness! What is this drivel you just typed out?

Learn to spell, and then after that learn to punctuate.

• skydweller

October 12, 2017 at 8:45 am

I believe your comment is for bobrisky’s fans. Shim has started acting and yes, I do hope shim becomes a star like your favourite Omo.

9. bukola

October 12, 2017 at 12:55 pm

She and Uche Jumbo are both overrated …..

10. tunmi

October 12, 2017 at 2:55 pm

Awwww I’m glad she persevered.

11. BEAUTIFUL

October 12, 2017 at 5:57 pm

Oh so people have observed this also, something I have noticed long ago .. anytime there is good news about Genevieve, this Omotola doesn’t sleep she must cook up something to show her face .. how do people put themselves under this kind of pressure and what kind of complex is that .. madam Omotola take it easy .. you are forever competing with Genny but I think it’s really unnecessary if you are actually sure of your own skills.. and that’s what I love about Genny she is a silent achiever doing her own thing and that’s actually a real and original superstar!!!

12. Sherri

October 12, 2017 at 6:50 pm

Abeg o,
    Let her toot her own horn o
    she is being her own biggest fan and she should not be shamed for it!