Scoop

Winning! Mo Abudu included in The Hollywood Reporter’s 25 Most Powerful Women in Global Television List

BellaNaija.com

Winning! Mo Abudu included in Hollywood Reporter's 25 Most Powerful Women in Global Television - BellaNaijaMedia Mogul Mo Abudu has been included in the list of the 25 Most Powerful Women in Global Television by Hollywood Reporter.

She revealed the news on her Instagram, writing:

Yipee ?????????? It’s such an honor and privilege to be included in The Hollywood Reporter’s review of the TOP 25 WOMEN IN GLOBAL TV. The Hollywood Reporter is one of the most respected show business magazines in the world. It’s an honor to continue to fly the flag for Nigeria and the continent. I continue to give God all the glory. ????. Thank you Lord and a big thank you to the EbonyLife team, my family and friends and partners and sponsors who give me so much support. God bless and keep you all ????????
Click on the link in my bio to read the full article!

The Hollywood Reporter, in their citation for Abudu, wrote:

Abudu has been at the forefront of media innovation on the continent since transitioning from a career in human resources at oil giant Exxon Mobil to hosting a talk show to, in 2006, (starting) her own global network, EbonyLife TV (the largest pan-African network is available in about 50 countries). Her media empire now extends to movies — in 2016, EbonyLife’s film division co-produced Nollywood rom-com The Wedding Party, which smashed local box-office records, taking in more than $1.3 million at the Nigerian box office. Her goal for the coming year: “To successfully produce Africa’s first sci-fi TV series.”

See the full list HERE.

See her post below:

View this post on Instagram

Yipee 💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽💃🏽🎺🎷 It's such an honor and privilege to be included in The Hollywood Reporter's review of the TOP 25 WOMEN IN GLOBAL TV. The Hollywood Reporter is one of the most respected show business magazines in the world. It's an honor to continue to fly the flag for Nigeria and the continent. I continue to give God all the glory. 🙏🏾🙏🏾. Thank you Lord and a big thank you to the EbonyLife team, my family and friends and partners and sponsors who give me so much support. God bless and keep you all 🙏🏾🙏🏾💝💕💕💕 Click on the link in my bio to read the full article! . . @TedAbudu @Kojo_london @bffshoesng @prideandjoylagos @patfaniran @debbieoghene @ruth.osime @stephbusari @kennethokoli @deyemitheactor @octhegreatukeje @ajokesilva @racheloniga @lalaakindoju @iamtonnitones @ishayabako @tedabudu @heidiwena @randpbr @kenilola @dstvng @cameronpbailey @niyi_akinmolayan @bankywellington @emmaohmagod @mofedamijo @solasobowale @official_ikechukwu @iretidoyle @adesuaetomi @beverlynaya @somkele_1 @a_yinna @inkblotspresents.thearbitration @iamfvo @donomope @aycomedian @topeoshinfilm @kalanne_fubara @kemiadetiba @dakoreea @omonioboli @zainabbalogun @ifeomawilliams @biolaalabi @obiasika @euniceomole @michaelwilliams1007 @ebonylifetv @ebonylifefilms

A post shared by Mo Abudu (@moabudu) on

1. Bolaji

October 11, 2017 at 8:22 pm

On what basis do these people make these assessments? Did they audit her books or just wanted to include Africans so they are not called racists? Please at times i is best to leave Africans out of the list if you are not going to include one with integrity. They are busy calling out Weinstein and demanding standards for their people abroad but in Africa, hailing crooks???? Please! And what sup with tagging people you famously fell out with or did not pay etc? Or is she just trying to shade them???????????? But then they will all probably start resharing to stay relevant instead of standing up to appalling behaviour. Una try!!!!!!

• Jide

October 11, 2017 at 8:55 pm

What do her books have to do with anything? She’s behind (or attached to) two of the highest grossing films in Nigerian history. She runs a TV network that creates a tremendous amount of content. I mean if you have issues with her personally that’s a different story which I’d love to hear (especially the gossip about the people she fell out with) but even if she’s a terrible person, she’s done a lot of work that’s deserving of recognition.

• Bolaji

October 11, 2017 at 10:29 pm

@Jide / Mo/ One of Mo’s minions, good evening. The books have everything to do with it. If you run a tv station and you want t be on a list as credible, then do it credibly. Start with paying people proper rates, respecting their IP, paying royalties. That is basic TV, Until you do that you are not running a TV station or a ‘film studio.’ You are running a sweat shop. I can assure you that if creatives in Nigeria collate ll the emails and whatsapp messages from so called executives on this and and go to the international press with it, Mo and her caboodle will be out of favor. Do you think Variety or Hollywood Reporter wants to know that they are supporting shady enterprises and therefore aiding the exploitation of Africans. You can create content without exploiting people. But then there are people like you, quick to defend and uphold nonsense. mtchew!

• tunmi

October 12, 2017 at 2:40 pm

Prove it. Until you do, these are baseless..

It is not that hard to send your proof to any blog or even have it distributed via social media. PROVE IT!

2. Ottawa Queen

October 11, 2017 at 8:44 pm

Oh Wow! Great achievement Mo, keep the flag flying and the fire burning.

• Funmilola

October 11, 2017 at 10:58 pm

Which fire?
      Let’s call a spade what it is, a SPADE!

3. Anon

October 11, 2017 at 8:50 pm

I continue to give God all the glory. Yada yada yada. This God has suffered.
    Swaying to the Americans with “honor!” RME.

4. Mikael

October 11, 2017 at 9:25 pm

Foril they need to start auditing all these peoples books! Heard she is the shadiest of the bunch. On what basis? Thank you Bolaji. Integrity is everything and its high time we as a people choose to only celebrate those truly worthy in every way. And if its her company that they are basing it on, have they carried out a survey? Interviewed the workers? Past and present? Whats the culture like? Is there fair treatment? Are things done properly without cutting corners? All hype and no substance. But one day though, one day. Everyday for the thief, one day for the owner.

5. Lucy

October 11, 2017 at 9:49 pm

But at the end of the day Shaa. Our Hype Mama and Box Office Queen – MOabudu loves public validation Shaa. This one na just newspaper mention/Shout Out! I wonder what will happen the day one group/association like that hands her a medal… Social Media-Nigeria won’t hear word that month !!!

6. Letty

October 11, 2017 at 9:56 pm

Throwing little nuggets out to the dark continent. Mo does not belong on this list. The west does not do any homework with anything pertaining to Africa. They really look down on us with immense disdain.

7. Tsk

October 11, 2017 at 10:09 pm

I met this woman and I must say it’s all hype. NOTHING inspiring about her. With her makeup laden face. #Notinspiring. GOH

• True Talk

October 12, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Met her too. She comes across as a big black bully.

8. Ms B

October 11, 2017 at 11:32 pm

The beefers are out! 1st omotola, now mo. Don’t worry guys y’all wee be alright…. one day you will be recognised for doing…. exactly… nothing! ()

• Belema

October 11, 2017 at 11:49 pm

How old are you? I’m so sick of ignoramus calling everything hate. So because Mo Abudu’s work ethics and loyalty are being critized; it must be hate? Try to be just a little logical. The workers she’s owing salaries are also beefing? Some of you reason like toddlers.

• Bolaji

October 12, 2017 at 7:46 am

Not everyone is a media whore looking for ‘recognition.’ And frankly you should be concerned about what you are getting recognized for!

• Bolaji

October 12, 2017 at 7:48 am

Ms B. Not everyone is a media desperado looking for ‘recognition.’ And frankly you should be concerned about what you are getting recognized for! Bella has started moderating. Our own Weinstein has probably called to threaten.

9. tolu

October 11, 2017 at 11:56 pm

the largest pan-African network is available in about 50 countries???? , so untrue, Africa Magic Yoruba and Epic are sure way bigger than EL

Mo Abudu, an epic predator who thrives on the weak, use the vulnerable, package lies and sell the facade. If you want to understand this woman, go and read 48 laws of Power, you will see how she wins. But…………..

10. Bibi

October 12, 2017 at 7:11 am

Well Paid PR

11. Felinda

October 12, 2017 at 10:05 am

The only African women TV and media moguls I love and respect are
    1) Connie Ferguson (dynamic) Ferguson Films
    2) Basetsana Kumalo (top billing, etc)
    3) Carol Bouwer
    4)Khanyi Dhlomo (print)
    These are the ones I respect and inspired by. Hollywood reporter I doubt you did your research.

Here in Nigeria unfortunately no one inspires me yet, too much noise no content, no substance example Mo and all her superficial Bla b o bla. I’m still waiting to be wowed. I slept watching Fifty Series and Wedding party was enjoyable but not excellent. As for EbonyLife TV let me not start on that one. The fakeness just exudes through my TV screen

• Jay

October 12, 2017 at 1:20 pm

I totally disagree with you about no Nigerian women in TV and Media inspire you.

Many in Nigeria inspire me but who I’ve picked just one person, due to ethics, loyalty and professionalism. Biola Alabi!

Of course, Mo Abudu and Bella Naija do not inspire me. Good luck to them though.

• Felinda

October 13, 2017 at 9:19 am

Jay we can agree to disagree because thank God we don’t have the same taste or likes.

I don’t know the folks u mentioned maybe if they did some memorable quality stuff their names and titles of their workwill resonate, but they don’t, so for now my statement still stands, here in Nigeria, no one inspires ME

12. True Talk

October 12, 2017 at 1:25 pm

The fakeness of Ebonylive TV no be for here. How many Nigerians watch the show sorry TV channel.
    Once you are fake and schooled in the abroad, Mo will love you. hahahaha. Reppin Naija indeed

• mael

October 12, 2017 at 5:40 pm

hohohoho. And once you tell her you are from abroad or acted abroad or schooled in one so-called fancy school in d obodo oyinbo, she will love you even if you are an air-head. fake channel.

13. Olanma

October 12, 2017 at 1:31 pm

This woman is petty af. Stopped talking to Dolapo and totally hates her because babe decided to leave Ebony Life TV and work on her own projects; this information = from some people who worked at Ebony Life. You’re even lucky Dolapo worked with you in the 1st place cause for the life of me, I couldn’t understand why she left MNet for Ebony Life; I was sad as though I’m her sister or something. It’s not about having horrible makeup by Banke Meshida Lawal or renting all brand names for events (which looks hideous on you by the way); there’s more to life than that. Mo Abudu is all hype, nothing else. Your Channel = zero originality and content. “Africa to the world” yet its only aired in Nigeria, some African countries and a few in the U.K. can access on TV. You still have a lot of work to do. The only reason I used to watch your chanel was cause of Dolapo, Oreka and Bolanle; I’ve long stopped. Like zero content Even some actresses can’t stand her. She opresses people like crazy. Not even surprised, the kind of “shameful” women you have as friends and the people you roll with says a lot. After some dimwits will say it’s hate or beef. I find Biola Alabi, and even Agatha Amata more inspiring than Mo Abudu.

• mael

October 12, 2017 at 1:59 pm

Not surprised. She hates when people leave her. Maybe if she worked on her personality and processes at ebonylife more, things will be a lot different. Word on on the streets is that she runs the place like a slave house. Probably one of the companies with the highest turnover rates in Nigeria. Very petty woman paying her nigerian workers peanuts and overusing and abusing them. I love me some Biola Alabi also and Agatha is another favourite. All you have to do is speak to Agatha’s current and even previous employees to know.

14. tunmi

October 12, 2017 at 2:43 pm

PROVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    seriously, please prove it. Bring out your proof otherwise you’re spreading rumors. Baseless ones at that. We live in the world of the internet and you can anonymously report it but please have something of substance out there instead of your opinions.

Help us with the integrity you speak of

• Susan

October 12, 2017 at 11:21 pm

I’m sure Bella Naija won’t let them “prove” it. I don’t know her but this isn’t the first time I’m hearing such about her.

15. BEAUTIFUL

October 12, 2017 at 4:10 pm

Wow that’s why I like BN commenters.. they have dissected this woman .. I knew there’s something fake about her .. even her smiles seem so fake .. the hype especially on Instagram is out of this world.. many sycophants praising , oouing and awwing her

• bolaji

October 12, 2017 at 4:30 pm

She is not the only one. It is a thing here then when they are called Instagram stars, they get offended. Blow your trumpet no matter what level you work at. But there is something about bold exploitation that gets rewarded and put on a pedestal. You know what will happen. People will read that article. Take her seriously. Come to Nigeria to do business. Get duped, then walk away thinking that is the way all Nigerians are.

16. bolaji

October 12, 2017 at 4:26 pm

Tunmi, I have replied but Bella is moderating…. Just so you do not think your ‘prove it, prove it’ scared us away! 🙂

17. bolaji

October 12, 2017 at 4:27 pm

Hello Tunmi/Mo/Or Yet another Mo minion, you sound sad and desperate with your ‘prove it’ screams.

If you think it is a lie, why not validate with actual facts other childish screams! Give us her turnover in sales and the growth rate. The staff retention rate. The booming production sector as a direct result of her influence. The happy creatives who have worked with her. Residual cheques. Tax returns.

In the meantime, I will take you up on the challenge. Everybody, There are free apps to record phone calls. Download! And then please call Ebony Life and other questionable operations in Nollywood to follow up on whatever ‘outstanding matter’ you have with them. Tape the abuse. In the meantime, collate screen shots of text/whatsapp messages and emails.

In fact, I have set up a central email account to which evidence can be mailed. [email protected]. I am happy to author the article myself!

Just goes to show. When you are used to threatening and screaming at people and getting your way so you think you can do it here. Okay

Interested parties, email me at [email protected]

• tunmi

October 12, 2017 at 10:27 pm

gtfoh with that bs. I’m tired of people who only complain. So yes I really do hope people send some info your way.

please have a website ready with [email protected]. also have an instagram account that mimics your website. My goodness I miss instablog9ja. Please do it and please get on twitter and facebook as well.

Let’s try to get that integrity! I’ll be following.

18. bolaji

October 12, 2017 at 4:32 pm

In the meantime, email me at naijamediaexpose [at] gmail.com with your evidence so we can collect for Tunmi. If my post is never approved, I will send you a copy by email too. Jokers!

• Osa

October 12, 2017 at 8:46 pm

Bolaji una get time o.
      Mo abudu has achieved a lot from having a zero background in media and entertainment to becoming the first female in africa to own a tv station. That in every right deserves massive recognition
      Guys get over her poshness and your hate for it. She has made a name for herself. She is still moving forward. Like tumi said, let the so called aggrieved workers speak out or forever hold their peace! Most of you are spilling out ‘hear say’.

19. Jobe JobesTina

October 13, 2017 at 12:07 am

That one should sit there with her superficial nonsense everyday with her TV shows and movies while newbies like Biodun Stephen’s continue to shock us everyday one movie after movie and CONTINUOUSLY THINKING OUT OF THE BOX, Biodun is raising the bar so high.. . All her movies I’ve seen thus far are excellent and considering she’s so new

So yes MO kontinu

20. Bolaji

October 13, 2017 at 8:34 pm

@osa, aim higher. Please. Are you sure that she is the first female in Africa to own a TV station? And if she is, would it not be more admirable if it is run with integrity? Yet again, list the impact other than ‘make a name for herself she has a tv station, she is black, she is female……’ We hate her for poshness…. Really????????????