Music

“I find nothing wrong with” spanking my kids – Kelly Clarkson

"I find nothing wrong with" spanking my kids - Kelly Clarkson

American singer Kelly Clarkson has revealed that she finds nothing wrong in spanking her children when they misbehave.

The mother-of-two revealed this in an interview with New York’s 88.9 The Buzz radio station. The American Idol star explained that her parents did same with her and she turned out just fine. She said;

I don’t mean hitting her hard, I just mean a little spanking. My parents spanked me and I did fine in life. I feel fine about it, and I do that as well.

She also noted that disciplining a child in the public can be somewhat tricky;

That’s a tricky thing, when you’re out in public, because then people are like–they think that’s wrong or something, but I find nothing wrong with a spanking.

Kelly also reveals that she warns her eldest child, 3-year old River Rose before the spanking;

I warn her. I’m like, ‘Hi, I’m going to spank you on your bottom if you don’t stop right now, this is ridiculous,’ and honestly it’s really helped. She doesn’t do that kind of stuff as often.

Listen below:

1. Temi Tope

January 11, 2018 at 8:31 pm

THIS WOMAN IS A TRUE MUM AND SHE IS GENUINE

2. Ottawa Queen

January 11, 2018 at 9:05 pm

Yes my sister, even God finds nothing wrong in spanking a child.

3. Dr.N

January 11, 2018 at 9:26 pm

And she is Caucasian
    So African parents should not be intimated about child discipline
    Whatever method you choose just make sure your child knows bad behaviour has consequences

4. Lailatu

January 11, 2018 at 9:31 pm

I’ve always liked Kelly Clarkson, she’s so down to earth.

5. Damilola

January 11, 2018 at 10:11 pm

There’s a reason I’ve always admired Kelly Clarkson. She’s very authentic. And open about her struggles

6. Très chic

January 12, 2018 at 1:32 am

In the US it is okay to spank kids as long as the parent uses open palm and not objects, and they don’t leave bruises or marks. Using objects or leaving marks treads on child abuse.

Some African parents usually beat the living daylight out of their kids ??. There’s a difference

• mz_titilitious

January 12, 2018 at 9:59 am

lmao

• Loki

January 12, 2018 at 10:16 am

I agree. There is a world of difference between spanking and the brutalisation African parents call discipline.
      Why do you think Nigerians are just generally angry people looking for a fight? We were weaned on violence. I think it’s lazy parenting- beat the kid like an animal and you don’t actually have to teach your kid anything, let alone why certain things are right or wrong. What is the justification for belting a kid to bleeding because they broke a plate? I will never understand our reasoning.
      And no, it doesn’t necessarily help our behaviour- all it does is harden us and make us unsympathetic to others’ suffering. My generation was one of the last to endure “pure African parenting” and we globalised hoerism, runsism and yahooboyism. Clearly the slaps and blows didn’t have the desired effect.

7. omomo

January 12, 2018 at 10:16 am

yes i occasionally spank mine ..after 3 strikes though ..that means after several warnings

8. Anonymous

January 12, 2018 at 12:32 pm

@Loki I agree and disagree with you. There’s a lot of violence and abuse in the Western world. And there are angry people all over the world. The bottom line is train up your child………
    I am always amazed when we try to convince ourselves negative behaviour exists in Nigeria alone.

• Loki

January 12, 2018 at 2:44 pm

But we aren’t talking about elsewhere are we? Plus research has PROVEN that people exposed to violence when they are young have a tendency to be violent themselves. This isn’t about sentiment or National pride. Violence begets violence. Shikena. You’ll see a child of 2 years old threatening people “I’ll beat you!”. Where did the kid learn it?
      It’s the way we say that the West’s style of parenting produces spoiled kids who have almost zero coping skills. It doesn’t mean spoiled kids don’t exist here. My point is that our upbringing just hardens us and doesn’t necessarily make us better people. It doesn’t mean there are no hardened people elsewhere. That is fallacious reasoning.