Features

Twitter User shares how Erstwhile State-of-the-Art Library in Abiriba, Abia State has been Neglected

BellaNaija.com

A Twitter user @UbaSocrates has shared a story about a library in his hometown in Abiriba, Abia State which was opened in 1979.

The Akanu Age Grade Divisional Library, Abiriba, was commissioned by the then Military Administrator of Imo State, Colonel Sunday Ajibade Adenihun in 1979.

Uba, telling the story, said his mother remembered studying at the library in 1982, and was state of the art in its heyday.

The library, like a lot of things in the country, have suffered from obsolescence and poor maintenance. And although it is still functioning, with a maximum of 5 or 6 visitors a day, the library, in Uba’s words, “looks like it’s suffered a hurricane.”

To renovate the library, bring back some of its former glory, Uba has launched a GoFundMe campaign.

See the story of the Akanu Age Grade Divisional Library, Abiriba, below:

The thread can be viewed here:

Photo Credit: @UbaSocrates

1. Van

January 2, 2018 at 1:36 am

Nigerians need to start caring about public/commuity institutions.

• Van

January 2, 2018 at 1:37 am

*community

2. Yrmmue

January 2, 2018 at 3:24 am

Wao. What a rich history! Documentation of traditional rulers from 1270-2010 is very impressive. Wao. I hope your efforts help the people to protect that important document for generations to come.

3. Mrs chidukane

January 2, 2018 at 8:40 am

Wow, didn’t know my village had a library. Great initiative.

4. Aarefarmland

January 2, 2018 at 8:56 am

Great effort. But I will advice to consider digitizing the newspapers.

5. ceetoo

January 2, 2018 at 1:22 pm

Wow Great great initiative… I am impressed.
    Abriba is actually next to my hometown, it is called the small London of Abia State. I think the town’s people alone can as a community effort fix that library… just one age grade can take it up as a project… not every time drinking and eating and throwing big parties and building big houses nobody lives in.

However welldone to you, i will drop my widow’s mite.

6. tunmi

January 2, 2018 at 2:44 pm

Yay for community development

7. chime

January 2, 2018 at 5:52 pm

I hope the attention of Govt and school authority will come to this.

8. Colette Emole Ukaku Dede

February 9, 2019 at 8:57 pm

I am originaly from Congo, but now married to a Nigerian from Abiriba, I am also in an Akanu Age grade, and I am trying to convince my brothers and sisters to take on this big project.