News

Renowned Physicist Stephen Hawking dies at 76

BellaNaija.com

World renowned physicist Stephen Hawking has passed away at the age of 76.

According to several reports, he passed away on Wednesday morning (March 14) in his home in Cambridge, England.

His family has confirmed the demise with a statement released to the public:

“We are deeply saddened that our beloved father passed away today. He was a great scientist and an extraordinary man whose work and legacy will live on for many years. His courage and persistence with his brilliance and humour inspired people across the world. He once said, ‘It would not be much of a universe if it wasn’t home to the people you love.’ We will miss him forever.”

Stephen Hawking, who was battling Lou Gehrig’s Disease since being diagnosed at 21, was expected to live only for a few more years after 21 but he defied the odds and lived for several decades.

Our thoughts are with his family at this time.

1. BlueEyed

March 14, 2018 at 7:29 am

Wow this is one death I am pretty sad for, this man beat the odds, this man was an exceptional physicist and his theories changed the game, R.I.P. sir, you were my icon

• Jummy

March 14, 2018 at 10:08 am

Wait. So because he’s dead he’s no longer your icon? Lol

2. bruno

March 14, 2018 at 7:42 am

omg what a loss. his legacy will continue to live on

Stephen hawkings thank u for proving countless times that there is no god.

• MSW

March 14, 2018 at 9:13 am

LOL bruno. No God indeed. He is there. One day you will get to know him. I’m reminded of Saul who became Paul. Totally agnostic. Then he met our Lord. And then spread the word. Your time is coming. Will put you and others like you in my prayers. God loves you.

• kulikuli

March 14, 2018 at 11:06 am

Hawking proved countless times that there is no God? Any published work of Hawking out there to support this misguided claim of yours?

3. Gemonyi

March 14, 2018 at 9:08 am

Stephen hawking: My advice to other disabled people would be, concentrate on things your disability doesn’t prevent you doing well, and don’t regret the things it interferes with. Don’t be disabled in spirit as well as physically.

RIP

4. Papermoon

March 14, 2018 at 11:01 am

MSW, Paul was NOT agnostic. He was a staunch believer in the laws Moses gave to the Jews which is the basis for what is Judaism which only spoke of GOD ALMIGHTY as the only God. He believed in God almighty, he did not believe in Jesus Christ until he met him.

5. Han

March 14, 2018 at 1:48 pm

Bruno why……??!!! May your soul rest in peace Stephen Hawking

6. Oby

March 14, 2018 at 3:47 pm

I remember bumping into him as I was entering a restaurant in Cambridge and he was leaving. This was in 2008. RIP

7. frollo

March 14, 2018 at 9:12 pm

One of the few living legends gone

Like Mandela, Fela Kuti, M.J and a few others that I thought I had time to meet in my life time, now he is gone.

Muhammed Ali seems not exactly 100%,,,,well Sha Wole Soyinka, Whoopi Goldberg, M.J’s dad, Stephen King, GRRM, Quincy Jones Oprah, Madonna and the Queen of England who actually replies letters should all better hang in there o. God should keep us all so I can meet you all and ask just 1 question each

Back to Stephen, I watched his wiFe’s account in a movie, The theory of Everything (2014) he was an atheist but respected Christianity for her sake. When his ALS started, He was given a short life span but his wife (now ex) said lai lai you will live longer, well he lived long enough to father more than one child and give more lectures and win more accolades.,change wife sef, be a granddad. and lived as full a life as he could….some may call that a miracle..

May his soul RIP or whatever atheist says .