News

Journalist Ahmad Salkida shares details on Missing Chibok Girls

Journalist Ahmad Salkida who regularly reports on the Boko Haram insurgents has shared more details on the Chibok Girls, 4 years after their abduction.

Writing on his Twitter, Salkida said the details are a result of 3 months of investigation.

He shared how the Goodluck Jonathan administration botched an opportunity to rescue the girls just at the last minute.

4 of 5 processes he was involved in to see to the rescue of the girls, he said, a swap deal was almost done, but the government always failed to move forward.

Speaking on the 113 girls still in captivity, Salkida said just 15 are alive today.

It will be difficult for the 15 to be rescued, he said, because they have been indoctrinated and married off, and Shekau now has no power over them.

See the Twitter thread below:

Journalist Ahmad Salkida shares details on Missing Chibok Girls - BellaNaija

1. Californiabawlar

April 14, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Omg! I was so excited that the journalist is Nigerian and that he would report the story appropriately with no prejudice. But mba! Nigerians will be Nigerians, the entire thing was self-aggrandizing, it was 75% about HIM! All these children dead and irredeemably missing but it’s all about you? When will we get it together professionally in this country?
    If our media can’t even put their pride aside and serve the people selflessly, where is the hope?

• nwa nna

April 14, 2018 at 8:27 pm

@Californiabawlar
      Hold up, hold up.. I don’t think he is making this about him. You need to read between thelines because it sounds like to me that he is very much frustrated with the FGN, both GEJ and PMB because of the way they have gone about handling both situations.
      I dare to say, he’s trying to set the records straight because the groups within the FGN orchestrating and benefiting financially & politically from the mayhem are after him as well because of how much he knows, hence the need to put the info out on a public forum.
      I am sure he has names within both the past and current admin that are saboteurs and beneficiaries of both the chibok and Dapchi abductions
      I knew, like many other Nigerians that something didn’t smell right with the whole Dapchi abduction and release, the Nigerian government stinks to the high heavens and is rotten to its very core playing games with peoples lives.

• Californiabawlar

April 14, 2018 at 9:06 pm

@Nwa: I feel you and completely agree with most points you’ve raised. But discussing both issues in the same breath messed with his credibility.
      Maybe I’m exaggerating? But my initial comment was my gut feeling and I trust it.

• Dayo

April 15, 2018 at 8:40 pm

@Californiabawler, I completely agree with you. The entire undertone of these tweets was that if the government had stuck with him or done it his way, this would have long been over. It was disgustingly mostly “ME! ME! ME!”!!

BTW, I do not believe that a local mid-level commander purportedly simply looking for “food and supplies” took enough trucks with him to transport almost 300 girls.

2. Mrs chidukane

April 14, 2018 at 7:52 pm

Wait, just 15 are alive out of 113? Is he sure? Who gave him these numbers? This is irresponsible of him especially if this information is not verifiable. How does he think relatives of the girls will feel if they read this?

• bababeejay

April 15, 2018 at 9:07 am

maybe you will enter sambisa forest and carry out your own investigative journalism. oloshi

3. Lailatu

April 14, 2018 at 8:53 pm

If it’s true, then this is really heart breaking. His claim should be investigated so that the families can get some kind of closure. I really can’t wait for this Boko Haram to be completely obliterated.

• Lol

April 15, 2018 at 12:10 am

And with it, their political sponsors. They have a lot of money…they should bring those perpetuating this mess called Boko Haram to book…but I suspect many are implicated in this hydra they’ve lost control of.

4. Zhe

April 15, 2018 at 7:02 am

For the parents sake I hope it’s not true that only 15 girls are alive. This is heart breaking.

5. gbaskelebo bitter

April 15, 2018 at 5:54 pm

Total crap… 1. You decided to come and tell us what happened 4yrs later and few months to Election, you are a big joke!. 2. As usual you had to squarely put the blame on GEJ for botched negotiations ( you can as well blame him for your inability to pee or fart like I care!) newsflash he is not contesting in the forthcoming election!!! 3, We know you are presenting an “escape position” to tell the parents indirectly to forget about their daughters that this government can’t do anything about their release, that inability to secure their release was caused by GEJ, You are pathetic! 4. You should go back to those paying you that made your amnesia go and gave you courage to come out now, that we have seen their best, that the very statement they rode to power on they could not achieve it! You AHMAD SALKIDA should be ashamed of yourself.