Scoop

“I can bet $10k she cooks, cleans, feeds her husband & is the average African woman at home” – Dencia says about Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

BellaNaija.com

You aren't a feminist - Dencia wades into the Chimamanda Trending Topic | BellaNaija

Dencia

Singer Dencia on Twitter has waded into the trending topic of Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie‘s question to Hillary Clinton.

Chimamanda had asked Hillary if it was her choice to identify first as a wife, according to her Twitter bio, and why, if she did choose to.

Social media users had kicked up a storm, criticising her for the question.

Dencia, on her part, has said Chimamanda is not a feminist. She wrote:

Dear chimanda, u aren’t a feminist if u are telling a female what to do.Weirdest thing is,chimanda’s followers I know don’t know she’s married with a kid.I can bet $10k she cooks, cleans, feeds her husband & is the average african woman at home.Let women live how they want.

Whatever her name is, the feminist lady who thinks like a backword clock

U’ll be surprised what most women think being a feminist is.let people just live their lives as humans cuz all these extra tags are getting y’all confused.Just be a decent human & live ur life how u please cuz ur faves are doing it the way it works or doesn’t work 4 them.

1. Olu

April 24, 2018 at 11:48 am

..but being a ‘firebrand’ feminist puts money in her account.
    ..all for the money.

2. Ec

April 24, 2018 at 11:56 am

What’s wrong with cooking and cleaning for your husband and still being a feminist?

• Lilo

April 24, 2018 at 12:54 pm

I think Dencia (I’m not her fan by the way) is betting that Chichi is a wife first to despite her flat attempt to imply otherwise by calling out Hilary

• CrazyWorld

April 24, 2018 at 1:42 pm

By Chimamanda’s standards it is wrong.

3. Bade

April 24, 2018 at 12:58 pm

I cannot believe I am saying this, but I side with Dencia on this one.

4. bubu

April 24, 2018 at 1:06 pm

pls what does feminism mean first. so we can know the basis for both dencia and chiamandas aurguments

5. Jummy

April 24, 2018 at 1:13 pm

This feels like an ad hominem attack and I’m not a fan of those. She could have tackled the issues without attacking CNA person. I agree with her on one thing though. Carrying the name tag feminist is a lot of burden because feminism has lost its essential meaning and has been thoroughly diluted.

Plus personally, it just kinda gives me a victim mentality and I’m so over those. I know that my gender will/may be an obstacle in certain areas of my life,but I choose not to focus on that. I’m gonna see that as about just any obstacle and scale through regardless.

6. Engoz

April 24, 2018 at 1:33 pm

Inferior thinker. I can just imagine if Chimamanda was not married how inferior thinkers will rationalize that it’s because she’s single and no man wants her, she’s feminist. Since they can’t latch on to that silliness, it is to attack the dynamics of her marriage. Grow up and stop making logical fallacies because you don’t agree with a person. You don’t have to agree with her, but to be taken seriously you will need to stop making slippery slope arguments and exhibiting the intellect of an insect as depicted in your foolish garb.

• To engoz

April 24, 2018 at 1:46 pm

Madam go and cook and take care of your poor long-suffering husband and stop yarning dust online. EVerything is not competition.

NIGERIA Don suffer – Tribalism ,religion now it is millitant feminism.

• Engoz

April 24, 2018 at 2:14 pm

Inferior thinker alert!
      With the rate you are following me around, you had better slow your roll. I don’t want to be responsible for your inevitable suicide. This is just a forum and you are acting like this. If e come be real life na im be say you go put tire for my neck. Abeg o! Oga or Madam, you have nothing to fear. Majority Nigerian women are not feminist. So you can relax. But if you come for feminism on this board, you will be disgracefully dealt with. It is as simple as that. You guys were on a high insulting Chimamanda and feminism yesterday, when you got a taste of your own medicine, you begin dey tear pant. Come on gerrarahere with your hypocritical self!

• Smh

April 24, 2018 at 7:19 pm

Engoz God bless you! We dey your back! Rip them to shreds !!!!! Coming here to flaunt their stupidity and lack of critical thinking skills. Lazy goats. Since she is married their only attack is “she cooks for hubby”. I am so confused as to how Dencia added mouth here seeing as with all her “wifey skills” she remains unmarried. Chimamanda will be at Harvards commencement speaking next month. Dencia the self hating bleachite is convulsing over what Chimamanda does or doesn’t do with her husband. Perhaps Dencia is hoping this will attract attention from men ? When you find yourself on the same side of an argument with people like Dencia and Nigerian men, surely you know it’s the wrong side.

• tunmi

April 25, 2018 at 4:16 pm

they would have tore her to shreds. Look up any facebook post about her, and that question is sure to come up.

There is some legitimate criticism here and some homework for us to do as Africans, but no…let’s not look inward

7. I'mJustSayn'

April 24, 2018 at 1:49 pm

LOL! Why can’t everybody just face their front na? Woz all dis?

8. kkay

April 24, 2018 at 2:11 pm

Everyone has an opinion. Some latch on opinion of others to be heard.
    When people do not understand something, they attack it.
    Get wisdom, get understanding.

9. sasha

April 24, 2018 at 2:15 pm

I agree with Dencia.people are really confused as to what it means,I read a comment once and the person Thought feminist are lesbians,women just do what works for you.

10. Amaka

April 24, 2018 at 4:05 pm

I have tried to understand what the raucous is, about the interview of Chimamanda Adichie to Hilary Clinton? All I hear are people attacking Chimamanda. Guys, it was and will remain an interview. She asked her a question, and she did not ask her to go and change who she is or her profile, for goodness sake. My goodness people. Please think. If you do not understand something, you have the right to ask question, and that was what Chimamanda did. Bless you all hearts

• Aijay.....

April 25, 2018 at 12:38 pm

Thank you for this. I also do not understand what the issue is.

11. tunmi

April 24, 2018 at 4:20 pm

this is bad.
    examine the context with which you make your choices is not the same as telling you what to do

12. bee

April 24, 2018 at 6:23 pm

I love CNA. I have also told most ppl I know the same thing. That regardless of everything, I believe CNA cooks, cleans and does the “traditional” wifely duties regardless of what she tells us.
    I am a woman btw.

• Smh

April 24, 2018 at 7:28 pm

Okay so let’s go along with this deluded fantasy you have because it makes no sense to chose to believe something about someone’s life with 0 evidence. So you’re saying she’s a liar/fraud who pretends for fame and you love her for it ? Or you love the idea of who she is but because internalized misogyny is so ingrained in your being the only way for you to reconcile your love for her is to create a fantasy that regardless of what she says she still does the “traditional wifey” duties which makes her acceptable in your eyes ?
      If you are truly a fan of CNA, I challenge you to deeply question your thought process and motivations behind your choices, you may be shocked at what you discover.

13. Adamazi

April 24, 2018 at 6:55 pm

Most Nigerians lack comprehension. CNA asked a question and HRC answered. CNA did not order or direct HRC to change anything. I am happy with CNA’s boldness in asking her question and I am happy that HRC responded. My people free your mind from mental slavery. You know you have questions but you hold back and talk trash behind folks and that is bad. Open your mouth and ask your question rather than making up assumptions about people.

• bey

April 24, 2018 at 8:12 pm

it was an “attack” my dear and not just a question.
      Hilary Clinton is in her 6th decade in life,she must be doing smthn right and it must be working for her. Let her write her bio the way it suits her.
      If she decides to just put wife/mother even,it is her goddam business. Doesn’t take away her accomplishment. And who told chidinma being a wife/mother isn’t some women’s calling in life. It is their choice.
      Chidinma can write her own bio the way she deems fit.
      I’m a married woman with a kid and also a banker. But guess what being a mother/wife is my greatest accomplishment and I’m not ashamed to say it. A banker is the least of my accomplishments and that is my own choice.

• lol

April 24, 2018 at 8:16 pm

Adamazi and Smh, You both know exactly what CNA does in her home right? lol

• Mz Socially Awkward....

April 25, 2018 at 1:47 pm

The problem isn’t that we lack comprehension skills (or actually, I shouldn’t say that because we actually do lack those… but that’s not the real issue here).

Our underlying issue in this matter is that Nigerians don’t question anything. We’re not inquisitive about why things are the way they are and therefore, we don’t question our elected leaders, we don’t question our parents, we don’t question our religious shepherds… we just aren’t used to speaking out to ask a figure in authority “why?”.

And we haven’t really had that culture. Chimamanda was interviewing Hilary. It wasn’t as though she sat on Twitter and started posting barbed tweets – she had the opportunity to sit with the woman whose profile she’s always wondered about and she raised the question.

If na we dey do interview with a high profile political figure who also happens to be a woman, we’ll probably be asking the sort of questions we ask people like the Alakija lady – i.e. whether she still submits to her husband at home, in spite of her elevated public role. Nothing new, nothing revelatory, just the same old recycled interviews.

What was asked to Hilary was a question that the interviewer sought clarity on and for certain reasons. All the attacks of “She should know her place”, “Who does she think she is to ask?” just seem to be deliberately ignoring the context in which the question was asked.

14. Todencia

April 24, 2018 at 7:29 pm

She only asked a question, Hilary responded. Their fans are happy.

Na wa, this one too has an opinion, and was too lazy to copy and paste her name C h i m a m a n d a if she cannot spell?

Dencia I get it, C h i m a m a n d a confuses you.

I can relate, Who confuses me? Beyonce confuses me.

Sings ‘irreplaceable’, ‘Independent’ ‘Girls run the world’ yet stays with a man who helped her career along after she left ‘destinys child’ so much for’ independent’

Her very handsome in finance man cheated on her so much, her younger sis couldnt even pretend for camera
    ‘single ladies’ was about marriage abi? But she had no ‘ring on it’ for years on end, at a point Rihanna almost ‘won the prize’ of Jay Z’s magic stick till he (as an aggressive businessman) at last saw he would make more money from Beyonce’s brand than Rihanna’s and bought his investment a ring. He put a ‘ring on his investment’ indeed

He still, unapologetically cheats on her with kids springing up everywhere but she is gritting her teeth the Victoria Beckham way and having more children with the cheat.

At least the aforementioned Victoria Beckham dropped the ‘girl power’ nonsense she was peddling. Beyonce is still telling people she is a strong independent woman who runs the world and sucks lemonade because becky had good hair and dunked Jay Z,.

Proud Strong ‘black woman’ but bleaches,
    Implicitly doesnt want ‘hair’defined as good or bad yet wears expensive ‘good’ hair.
    Beyonce confuses me indeed. Her talk and walk do not relate. Oh what a tangled …you know the rest..or do you?. Deception and Pretence for the cameras.Beyonce should be a Nigerian wallahi!!

Chimamanda is a crtically acclaimed, award winning author. A very intelligent woman who walks what she talks and is very clear as to her agenda; Her version of feminism leans towards equality between the genders in all areas. Let me spell it out in a way that wont hurt insecure Naija men and the women who eagerly use ‘weluvPatriachy’ to ultimately take advantage of these men, leaving them poor, bitter and broken.. (Obligatory not all men, just insecure men who get riled up by the word feminism, inspite of the fact that the movement relates positively to their mother, sisters and daughters)

as an aside, pls misogynist when you send your children to school, do you pay less for your daughters studying the same course as your sons?

Back to my spelling out Ms Adichie’s version in very basic terms;
    If a Queen/ Africa’s wealthiest spinster decides to marry her driver/the poor truck pusher on the street.. They are equal in the marriage.
    Her income and Her husband income are THEIR income. Not this his money is my money and my money is my money that naija version of feminism says.
    Cook Clean, Nurse, Baby sit/ Shopping, and Feed household should be done by man and womanyes equal
    DIY/Vehicle maintenance/Drive/ other financial overheads(usually men assigned jobs) should be done by man and woman.
    things should not be gender specific and the woman should not face consequences ( wewont vote for you) because she didnt start with ‘wife’.
    If you want to cheat, well let us go open marriage then (if she so desires) and so on.

Ultimately if her agenda succeeds there will be not much of a need to box people into she/ he roles, as it wont matter,

She only asked a question, Hilary responded. Their fans are happy.

Dencia go and face your acid and hydroquinone and lye and whatever the heck and keep destroying peoples skins for rewards Na your destiny to sell bleaching cream, Fela has dealt with this topic so nothing legendary.
    C h i m a m a n d a on the other hand is busy being a living legend!!

PS: I have pesticides for any beehives

15. bee

April 24, 2018 at 8:30 pm

Yall know exactly what CNA does at home? lol
    Regardless of this interview, I’m just saying what she says on a regularly basis.
    Shes a GREAT writer and storyteller. And I also believe shes a GREAT home maker.

• bee

April 24, 2018 at 8:32 pm

** regular

16. I agree with Dencia!

April 24, 2018 at 8:31 pm

I agree with Dencia!

17. Toks

April 24, 2018 at 8:39 pm

It’s funny how people have wittled feminism down to the argument of who cooks, washes etc at home, lolll. People really need to pick up a book and understand what feminism really is about instead of just going off what they hear or see online, maybe you will understand it bit better then?

18. Hmm

April 24, 2018 at 9:29 pm

What is Hilary’s thoughts on all the online melee concerning her status as a wife?

When did freedom of speech become an assault on CNA’s person?

Feminism is becoming a new tag for trolls

19. nnenne

April 24, 2018 at 10:39 pm

I really do not understand African women!!!
    Okay, go on with your bondage.
    All I know is ,if I have to come back to this world again, am coming as a typical African man. Some of them are even more important than God!
    At least God, plays an important role of listening and answering prayers! They have no role, except wear the crown. To think their stupid wives suffer and enjoy it? Don’t even ask questions? Enjoy it.

I am asking questions. Life changes. Roles changes. Culture must be tweaked to match those changes. #say no to statue quo .
    Thank God for the people in my life!

20. nnenne