News

Malian Immigrant Granted French Citizenship after climbing 4 Floors to rescue dangling Child from Balcony | WATCH

Immigrant granted French Citizenship after climbing 4 Floors to rescue dangling Child from Balcony | BellaNaija

22-year-old Mamoudou Gassama will be made a French citizen after he climbed the facade of a building 4 floors up to save a child from falling, CNN reports.

A video shows a little child hanging down a balcony, while neighbors tried to pull him up to safety.

Gassama, an immigrant from Mali, had been in the neighborhood to watch football, when he saw the child.

He quickly climbed up the facade of the building and pulled the child to safety.

Watch the video below:

Speaking to the French president Emmanuel Macron who invited him thereafter, he said: “I didn’t think about it, I climbed up and God helped me.”

Speaking to CNN-affiliate BFM TV after the rescue, he said:

I like children, I would have hated to see him getting hurt in front of me. I ran and I looked for solutions to save him and thank God I scaled the front of the building to the balcony.

Gassama will not only be made a citizen but has also been offered a job by the Paris fire brigade.

Photo Credit: emmanuelmacron

1. marlee

May 28, 2018 at 12:26 pm

God is wonderful. be humble and God will elevate you. there is good in every situation.

• Tayo

May 28, 2018 at 5:57 pm

Wao. He remembered to say God helped him. I am so happy for you dear.

2. Miss Smart

May 28, 2018 at 12:37 pm

Fantastic!! This brought tears to my eyes. Humanity wins! I’m so glad Macron did a noble deed and didn’t just give him fish, but taught him how to fish. A good job will ensure sustainability for himself and his family.

I implore you all to do a good deed today, you never know who God wants to use to bless you. Stories can change in an instant. I’m so happy for this young man and grateful for the beauty called adrenaline, responsible for the swift action without thinking of the risk to his life.

We have strong black men in our continent, ready and willing to work. Opportunity is all they ask for.

3. BB

May 28, 2018 at 12:40 pm

So so warms my heart….congrats dude!

4. Ephi

May 28, 2018 at 12:44 pm

It was so heartwarming reading this story. Humanity still has some good in it. At just 2#, he demonstrated courage & care for another human, and now see how he’s gone from being an illegal migrant to a French citizen + paid employment. I rejoice with him.

• Ephi

May 28, 2018 at 12:56 pm

*22
      Plus, see how he acknowledged it was God who helped him.

5. Cindy

May 28, 2018 at 12:44 pm

Indeed our God works in mysterious ways!!! Amazing testimony

6. chi-nke-oma

May 28, 2018 at 12:53 pm

GOOD

7. olaitan

May 28, 2018 at 12:54 pm

same here..i almost cried…the guy wanted a green pasture..and it was just handed to him on a platter og gold…he never new his chance was so near.. JESUS U ARE TOO GOOD.

8. olaitan

May 28, 2018 at 1:01 pm

WOW

9. Cocoa

May 28, 2018 at 1:03 pm

Literally tears in my eyes. Who said God doesnt have a plan for you? Stay faithful.

10. Iou

May 28, 2018 at 1:10 pm

What a child of destiny

11. Lilo

May 28, 2018 at 1:19 pm

At the end of the day good and bad has no race, ethnicity or color.

12. Baybie

May 28, 2018 at 1:58 pm

And this a great example that doing good or bad is a CHOICE! Its not about what you look like or personal beliefs. You are a good man Mr Gassama, keep it up, May God bless all the people doing GOOD without being asked to do so

• Mz Socially Awkward....

May 29, 2018 at 11:03 pm

You make a very significant point and it’s also not about what you feel. This young man, being illegal, may likely have had quite despondent and hopeless days (football was likely a good way to find cheer) but thank God he had the presence of mind to look outside himself at that time…. because trust me, there could have been very negative voices in his head saying things like, “look at me who can’t help myself, how am I expected to help these people?”.

Thank you, I needed to hear this message you’ve preached. And thank God for the life that was saved and for always bringing us these examples of those who do good, regardless of contrary negativity in their own circumstance.

13. Pat

May 28, 2018 at 2:04 pm

Amazing thank God. What were those two other people beside the child doing ?thank God this guy was there at the right time

14. Joan

May 28, 2018 at 2:16 pm

I was so happy when I saw him on CNN this morning.

15. olajumoke

May 28, 2018 at 2:22 pm

Dear Nigerians, this is one of the things we should be known for.. saving lives, helping people..not dealing in credit card fraud, cocaine carrying etc.. instead of the rubbish we get to see on CNN everytime., will this act of goodness not bring fame to our land? ..

16. olajumoke

May 28, 2018 at 2:23 pm

But there were two other people with him, was it difficult to pull him up? Just asking though..

• DayoI

May 28, 2018 at 2:34 pm

I wondered the same too.

Not taking anything away from Mamadou, because what he did took incredible strength and determination. His efforts are commendable regardless of any questions we may have.

• Fleur

May 28, 2018 at 2:58 pm

They appeared when he was about to make it to that last balcony. they were either too scared to rescue the child or they wanted the child to drop and had to look like they did something about it. God uses the most odd of situations to meet our needs sometimes. Thanks, nation of france for embracing this good deed. Men, I want to have this guy’s arm strength and agility

17. kayjee

May 28, 2018 at 4:04 pm

For those questioning the other people on the balcony it pays to do reseach. When the guy started climbing those people were not on the balcony. Secondly in another angle you will see that there is a wall between them and the child. And lastly, from another angle you can see the man on the balcony already reaching out and holding the child’ss hand and him trying to pull the child up

18. @theindulgenceplace(black soap)

May 28, 2018 at 4:13 pm

Watch Nigerian men pull this same stunts and ‘save lives’.

• John

May 28, 2018 at 7:07 pm

They will end up in Sars cell..bcos climbing is a criminal offence. .It is used for stealing….they will have to explain where they learn to climb without fear.

19. NeverSayDie

May 28, 2018 at 7:13 pm

Quick question: If this happened in U.S, do you think Donald trump will give this guy citizenship. There are leaders and there are presidents

• Kkay

June 2, 2018 at 10:40 pm

What a noble young man! Brave heart!! Superman ain’t got nothing on you!!!
      Wakanda for real. Lol
      God you are awesome.
      Truly, goodness has no race or colour.
      Notwithstanding what this young man must have been through to get to France, he didn’t lose that godly value for human life.
      Nigerians learning point. Stop obsessing over money and vanity. Stop crime and corruption.
      President Macron thank you for rewarding this Mamoud Gassama appropriately and promptly.
      In my country, it would’ve been a mere political statement in the media followed by set-up of a seven-man committee with endless bureaucracyto advise the president on the reward..

20. Tink tink

May 28, 2018 at 10:29 pm

See my God!

21. Akpeno

May 30, 2018 at 9:35 pm

Basically a black man has to perform at superhero levels just to attain what mediocre whites have…

22. Kkay

June 2, 2018 at 10:36 pm

What a noble young man! Brave heart!! Superman ain’t got nothing on you!!!
    Wakanda for real. Lol
    God you are awesome.
    Truly, goodness has no race or colour.