BN TV

Dolapo Oni shares her Experience as a Working New Mum in New Vlog | Watch on BN TV

BellaNaija.com

Dolapo Oni is back with a new episode of her vlog and in this episode, she’s sharing her experience as a working mum.
She says “I talk about my experiences as a new mum and the challenges I faced when I went back to work.”

Watch below.

1. Seriously

August 14, 2018 at 7:30 pm

Sorry, nigerian workforce is not challenging at all. It’s way too flexible and lenient. My cousin works at a law firm in Abuja and this lady takes vacation whenever, and barely goes to work. But she still gets paid. Then she had a long maternity leave. In addition, she has a lot of help from family and house helps.
    In the U.S thats where the real struggle and challenge come in. My heart goes out to working mothers in the U.S, it’s brutal.

• Babym

August 14, 2018 at 8:49 pm

Huh?? So u have come to this conclusion of the Nigerian workforce by just one woman’s (your cousin) experience???? Laughable

• seriously

August 15, 2018 at 3:13 am

Tell me about it. The Nigerian workforce is laughable.
      My cousin, is a reflection of several other “working” Nigerian women and men and the incompetent system. Clearly, I can’t name all of my examples in this particular comment. But I have been around so called “working” Nigerian men and women and I’m baffled. Is it not showing up to work or being super late or sleeping at work constantly. Their boss is on vacation, therefore they are also on vacation. ai mean, I don’t want to go on and on.
      The truth is, Nigerian workforce is not challenging at all, it’s nothing compared to the U.S. Some European countries are actually more accomodating for new mothers than the U.S.
      It makes sense why Nigeria is the way it is anyway.

• Temitops

August 15, 2018 at 5:05 am

@seriously, u can’t use your cousin’s experience to judge the Nigerian workforce. I worked in the banking sector for almost 9 years and rose through the different cadre. I must tell u that it’s a lot of work for a working mom. Nobody cares if u have a baby at home or not, the overall objective is to get the work done! You get to resume at 7.30am and close at 8pm, or even later than that. If you work such hours in the US, u are probably doing 2 jobs or working overtime for which u ‘re paid. so it’s a choice. In naija, it’s not a choice oh. I couldn’t even afford to put my kids in day care because of closing time constraints, so I had to employ an elderly nanny to care for the kids and a house maid to take of the home cleaning etc. So it’s not beans to be a working mom in Nigeria.

• seriously

August 15, 2018 at 4:15 pm

I see folks are all up in their feelings which confirms my point. I emphasize once again, Nigerian workforce is doomed. Y’all can bang your heads on the wall all you want. Only idiots will think my statement applies to every individual in Nigeria. There might be time constraint, but it depends on what work was during that time. When I did research/internship in Abuja, I was told to resume work at 8 and leave at 5pm. I arrived, at 7:45am. The boss didnt arrive at work until 10am. Then other distractions occured. The judge showed up at 12.pm. The social worker arrived early but unfortunately he had to wait before he couldn’t work on his case due to other problems. We sometimes left late around 9pm, other days very early. But I wouldn’t say it was challenging based on the work done bcos we didnt do much. It was due to disorganization, poor work ethic etc In the U.S, when you work from 8am to 6pm, best believe you are occupied, doing actual work. And when you stay overtime, it’s for a legitimate reason.

Nigerian workforce overrall, in general is not challenging as much. Other factors, lack of electricity, bad roads, lack of basic necessities is another story. The work done in the work environment is not challenging enough. There’s not enough productivity and efficiency as a result. I’m talking about quality not quantity.
      When senators don’t show up to their jobs, there are always so many empty seats.
      When in courts, judges are bribed right there, they encourage defendants to forget about the case and go settle it outside. These are criminal cases not civil cases.
      When such mentality exists, the workforce is inevitable dysfunctional and not challenging.

• seriously

August 16, 2018 at 12:33 am

At least, you are able to hire help. To have that luxury to do that here is challenging. Be ready, for all your paychecks to go into such expenses added to other bills. which is the reason many go into nursing bcos it’s more flexible compared to other professions. Here you leave your young baby with complete strangers at a daycare.
      Banking and financial sector is tough everywhere. It’s one of the least flexible fields. From what you are describing it’s either your area is understaffed, nepotism, lack of important material, not enough qualified people working and doing the right thing. And if not enough qualified people, it means certain people will feel the burn more .
      But in general Nigerian workforce is mentally lazy which translate into physical laziness

• Dee

August 15, 2018 at 7:05 am

This is just way too simplistic. If you really believe that your cousin and the other people you have “been around” represent the entire Nigerian workforce, well….

• mama

August 15, 2018 at 2:47 pm

really? you have come to such conclusion because you have a cousin who works for herself or the government? C’mon Shut up!

• abby

August 15, 2018 at 3:35 pm

ode buruku..your cousin? your cousin is the whole Nigerian Workforce..Bless your heart

• Californiabawlar

August 15, 2018 at 8:24 pm

One way I can agree with you is that in oil and gas (subsurface) there is definitely zero intellectual challenge. I’m like why bother going to school sef?! A company offered me a job recently and I turned it down saying “I don’t think the location and team woud be a good technical fit for the direction I’m taking my career….”
      Translation: I can’t go and be using my certificate to be eating akara and dundun in Lekki.

– you should consider streamlining your statements to where you have experience. Bankers work their butts off!

2. justme

August 15, 2018 at 6:16 pm

@Seriously, you are so wrong, I have worked in the banking industry for over a decade and its really not easy. I had my 4 kids whilst working and it was really really dificult. Three months maternity leave is all you,ve got, even when policy says nursing Mothers should close 1 hour earlier than resumption time, you still cannot close before 7pm . Just like @Temitops i have had to hire an elderly nanny , a housekeeper and a lesson Teacher to tend to my kids while i,m at work. I have had to look for schools with school bus to take my kids to and fro school.
    Even when my baby was sick and on admission, i was told i wasnt the one on admission and so cannot be given sick leave, i had to beg a collegue on vacation to come and relief me to enable me tend to my sick baby. There was a time my nanny had to be with the baby during the days and i take over at night and go to work from the hospital in the morning.
    I cannot attend PTA meetings or any school function for that matter. I have had to travel long distance for a meeting when i was 7 months pregnant . Thank God for an understanding and surportive hubby who does his best trys to fill in the gap cos his work schedule was a little bit more flexible. If i were in US i would probarbly have a choice not to work such long hours. Nobody send you for Naija o. If u cant cope, Quit!

3. Ajala & Foodie

August 16, 2018 at 3:51 am

Everyone that has commented using the Banking sector in Nigeria, I am afraid just made seriously point. First just me, in most US company to get any maternity leave you have to apply for FMLA, i.e it is unpaid, FMLA only protects your job i.e they cannot fire you. Most companies that do pay only pay for 6 weeks, so yea 3 months is a luxury.

Secondly, once you are exempt i.e salaried in the US, you are expected to work overtime and for no overtime pay (which is what exempt means i.e exempted from overtime pay) . Many “career” jobs/positions are exempt. You are expected to also work from home on weekends and holidays, which is why they give you laptops and cellphones.

Lastly, hiring a Nanny is a luxury. For example, I am having to look for a new job since having my LO, daycare closes at 5-6pm, but many companies expect me to work overtime, weekends, be available to take calls. I would sometimes be gone for days stretch on jobs site with my past job (sleeping in trucks and cars). No overtime at all. Even when I worked a more “office” role, I would always resume at 6:30 and there were days I would not get home till 8-9pm and still be expected to work from home. Yet, you still need to do the usual office bonding events.

Hiring a nanny will only make sense if I had 3-4 kids because of pay and abeg I am still trying to build my financial portfolio.

So yea, I see where seriously is coming from and why some may consider the work environment lax in Nigeria especially in comparison with the work environment in the US. I will not lie, my spouse and I will not mind moving back to Nigeria and mainly for more holidays.

4. OA

August 18, 2018 at 3:30 am

U.S. go use you so tey. I’m really contemplating quitting but I can’t because e get the thing wey I wan take money do. Plus hmm, I don’t think I cannot not have spending money. I wouldn’t want to put the entire financial burden on my husband. Maybe once I succeed in doing what I want to do sha, I can finally take a break. We have one winch for an oga and I’ve been working for free in the last few days as in staying beyond 8 hours and not being paid for it.