Features

The Mr. Perfect Series by Evi Idoghor: Church Crush

Read the previous episodes of the Mr. Perfect Series here.

****

I called my cousin upset on the phone. This was the first time I told her about Mr. Almost-Perfect. The story started off on a high, then ended low.

He dey crase, no mind am. Maybe his real babe has come back into the picture that is why he no longer calls you. Sorry, my dear.” My cousin comforted me with those words.

I had built castles in the air, and when Mr. Almost-Perfect suddenly didn’t want to move in, I was disappointed. How could you let yourself go there? Why did you go around telling people how great he was when you were not so sure? Our almost-relationship was very short-lived. It lasted about two months. Like a baby who was just learning how to walk, I had to teach myself how to do life by myself again. With no one to share my days with and talk about movies together. I definitely was no longer looking out for Mr. Perfect.

Then one bright Sunday morning, I made it to church. While I was walking in, there was a lady in front of me, and behind, a guy. When we got to our seats, she went to go sit at the row behind where we were directed toward. I wanted to join her, since I wasn’t too thrilled about where I was asked to sit. But I changed my mind at the last minute. I didn’t want to be a rebel in the house of the Lord. Because she went to the back, I sat down by Church Crush.

Not thinking anything of him, because, remember, I’d sworn off men, I carried on with my worship in church. Before we sat, the pastor asked that we say hi to our neighbour, that was when I noticed Church Crush properly. He was good-looking, dressed well, had a nice smile, and was well put together. Still, I wasn’t still thinking about anything. As the service carried on, the pastor kept on asking us to turn to our ‘neighbor’ and say one thing or the other. Oohhh Pastor, which kind wahala be this na? Gosh! I was so shy. I could tell he was too. I remembered another church service where the pastor did the same thing, and the guy I sat next to did not even bat an eyelid. It was as if his village people had told him that if he turned and said hi to the girl next to him, she would steal his destiny. Guy did not even acknowledge me for one second.

Anyway, back to church crush. I checked out his watch, his striped socks, his brown shoes, thinking to myself: Not bad at all (my usual line). After service was over, I was about to turn and leave when he reached out his hands to give me a handshake, saying, “Sorry, what is your name?”

Here we go again! My name is Evi. Eve? No Evi, Ebi? No. Never mind. I didn’t ask him for his name. Not because I wasn’t interested (I know I said I was done, but he was good looking na), but because I usually forget to ask people for their name when they approach me.

Anyway, he said it was nice meeting me, and he just had to say hi. Ok, great! And I ran off to go meet up with someone. Then I made my way to my car. While driving off, I saw church crush walking toward my car, and I smiled at him, with him reciprocating the gesture. Then I heard a tap on my window and wound down. He asked what community group I was a part of in church, and I said none. He asked where I lived, and I told him. He expressed that it was far from where his community group held their meeting, and said “Bye.” That left me thinking: he came back to try and carry on a conversation with me. Could he be the one? But no exchange was made, so how and when was I going to meet church crush again? My church was massive. Well, I decided to take Mr. Not-So-Perfect’s advice — Que sera sera (whatever would be would be). But guys, don’t you think our love story would make for a great one?

Interviewer: How did you meet?

Evi: In church! Funny thing is, I was so upset about a possible relationship not working out that I told myself I was done with men. Then fast forward a week later, I sat down by this fine-looking man in church. And our pastor did not let us rest that day. He kept on insisting we talked to our neighbor. The heavens must have been smiling at me that day. I remember when I looked up to them, muttering, “Baba God, be a boo provider,” God finally answered.

Church Crush: Everything she said.

The reason why I was excited about the possibilities of what could be with Church Crush was that we mayhave been on the same page spiritually. Unlike Mr. Not-So-Perfect, who is an atheist, or Mr. Almost-Perfect, who had questions about Christianity that I honestly couldn’t answer.

Well, all of this was just in my head oh. That he was in church and belonged to a community group meant absolutely nothing. By their fruits, you shall know them. Days turned into weeks, weeks into months and I didn’t lay my eyes on church crush. Maybe joining a small group or serving in church would have increased my chances of meeting him again, who knows? He could have been the one.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

Evi Idoghor is a Christian, writer, content creator, & contributor. Consumed by her love for writing and desire to effect change, she launched her online platform Let's Talk Nation (letstalknationblog.com), to tap into her creativity and start meaningful conversations that would make a difference around the world. When she is not writing, spends her time talking, reading and binge watching her favorite shows.

1. Evi

December 10, 2018 at 3:57 pm

Guys pls help me find church crush!!

2. CASINO

December 10, 2018 at 4:36 pm

Babe…….you raised our hope! I was almost certain you had fast forwarded the series to “living happily ever after” when I got to the interviewer part.

This boo search has always been a roller coaster of emotions. You just reminded me of how I used to assess guys in those days. Like can he be? maybe he is and how we usually have that low when they are not.

I recall I had met a guy in the plane then. Abuja to Lagos precisely. I was the last person to enter the plane and they had advised me the plane was going to lock its doors soon so I ran with my bag towards the plane. He got fascinated as he watched me according to him and incidentally I was to seat beside him. We got talking and he was in the same profession. I liked everything about him and was hopeful…..

We exchanged numbers and he came visiting (as he promised over our many calls thereafter) but somehow at the gate I asked him if he was married……my dear he was and that was an absolute no no for me so we could not enter the house,

We just took a drive and I told him he can’t cheat with me…..but I felt bad for many reasons.
    We are still friends though and I respect him a lot, maybe still have a soft spot for him because he was kind. He offered me trips abroad but I could not take them because I did not want to be conflicted.

Thankfully though, Mr. Perfect was worth the wait and sacrifice

• Evi

December 10, 2018 at 10:58 pm

Lol!! The story isn’t over yet now! 2 more parts to go. Ah he was married! Thank God you didn’t go down that road with him. I’m glad you found your Mr. Perfect.

3. Fave

December 10, 2018 at 5:59 pm

Loved this story! I can relate. No matter how great he is, if we are not on the same page spiritually, I can’t shout. You both might have been good together. Met one recently but sadly, he is younger than I am so no way.

• Evi

December 10, 2018 at 11:00 pm

Thanks. Ah how young was he ni? Pls if the guy is matured and has everything you want, I don’t mind 2 or 3 years younger. So don’t dull oh lol. Maybe it’s the American in me sha, my pastor’s wife is 4 years older than him. And they fit perfectly.

• Flygirl

December 11, 2018 at 7:41 am

It’s not just in America. It’s happening life in Nigeria too. Matter of fact I found out it’s being happening in Nigeria since but our grandparents and parents never used to talk about it. A colleague just last week told me of his grandfather marrying his older grandmother. Also personally, I have friends who are 1 to 4years older than their husbands. I almost got into it myself. My first boyfriend was a year younger but somehow started feeling like his big sister after I entered uni despite him being a good guy. If I have my way I will date him again. Fast forward to many years later I met another 4years younger guy and he was very serious to marry me but I did not find him mature enough so I didn’t go with him. My point is, age should not be a barrier if all other things are equal and if you like don’t tell no body about it until you are comfortable to share it. That’s what my sister in law did. They only started talking about it after like 10years of marriage.

• Evi

December 11, 2018 at 10:56 am

I guess people are mute about it in Nigeria that is why we don’t really hear much about it. But at 30, I can’t do 4 years younger and below. I’m sorry lol.

• Pink

December 11, 2018 at 5:59 pm

I used to be the girl who wouldn’t give a younger guy a second thought but now i think differently. An aunt in her 50s told me not to dismiss a guy just because he is younger than me. Men can date women 20 years younger!!!! Let us not limit ourselves as women. It’s hard enough to meet a good man. That being said, a guy who is 2 years younger than me is my limit. Maybe i will meet someone who will change my mind,lol.

4. two cents

December 12, 2018 at 10:39 am

Comparing is not a good thing, please do stop or reduce it. it will cause you more trouble than good. No one is perfect we all have flaws, Use the 80/20 rule get someone who you like 80% of them and the rest 20 % should be allowed for flaws and God’s correction. Finally if you have a problem finding Mr Right, take the guy from the Left and drag him (Prayerfully) to the Right that way He becomes Mr Right.

5. BN?

December 12, 2018 at 12:54 pm

BN why in God’s name is this great article still here?
    why is it not in relationship section yet to give it prominence.
    A lot of articles come into features and this will most likely get drowned in it despite its crowd puling potentials

Uche I know Instagram has made it hard for blogging but dont give it up without some effort..