IDOLS WEST AFRICA

Posted on Tuesday, February 20th, 2007 at 5:19 PM

By BellaNaija.com

Hey Everyone,
How was your weekend? Hope y’all had fun!
What did I do? Hmmm…slept, hung out, went to see a movie, got my hair ‘did’…That’s basically it! Not that exciting right really…
So I’m going to London tomorrow…just for a couple of days though. Jeeez, I miss real holidays. You know those 3-month holidays! The type u get in uni…I miss that soooo much! I’ll take my laptop with me and try my very best to blog.
Idols West Africa started on Sunday! That show is sooo funny. Did anyone get a chance to watch it. Anyway, I’ll fill you in on the 411 below. ENJOY.

Idols West Africa is a brand new reality show. Basically, American Idol for Nigeria, Ghana and the other West African nations.
The judges are Dan Foster (Cool FM Presenter), Abrewa Nana (Ghanian Musiciain) and Fela Kuti protégé Dede Mabiaku. To read more about the judges, go HERE
The presenter of the show is Mike Majic. A young Nigerian radio DJ.
Auditions were held in Lagos, Abuja, Calabar and Accra and thousands of people turned up for their chance to be a STAR~

Anyways, here are some pictures from the West African Idol auditions

Here are pics of some the contestants who have gone through to the next round

Axie Okwuosa – Somto Akunyili

Riel Uzamere

Check out some video promos of the auditions – TOO FUNNY
Lagos
Calabar
Abuja
Accra

Check out some full auditions:

The Good
Casiana
Confidence
Nana

The Bad
Cylas – LMAO!
Vanessa - I’m Speechless

The ummm…Special!
Tony
Juliano

To follow all the West African Idol magic – Stay locked to their website – HERE
You can also catch all the latest Idol episodes on MNet’s Channel 37
The show is good so far – Dede is like the ‘Simon Cowell’, Nana is like the Paula (although she makes much more sense than Paula), Dan is sooo like the ‘Randy Jackson’ of the show. I expected him to be harsh but he’s very nice to the contestants.

Anyway, please let us know what u think! Would you audition for a show like Idols West Africa? Do you think these reality shows are good for Nigeria, Ghana etc.. or a waste of valuable resources? Let us know!

Ciao

Be Sociable, Share!
  • Custom Search
  • 46 Comments on “IDOLS WEST AFRICA”

Comments
    • Nanya February 20, 2007 at 6:16 PM

Very Cool. Went to HS with Somto. Hope to catch this show.

• Nilla February 20, 2007 at 6:27 PM

Can’t I ever be first on this blog?….lol

2nd is good enough, I’m going to read :-)

• Nilla February 20, 2007 at 6:31 PM

Thanx for the idol links…will check them out.

• bhookey84 February 20, 2007 at 6:37 PM

Im 4th yippeeeeee , okay lemme go read

• Omosewa February 20, 2007 at 6:41 PM

Thanks a lot!

Tony had me rolling, LMAO.

• chicka February 20, 2007 at 6:51 PM

LMAO!!!!!!!!!!!!

• damsel February 20, 2007 at 7:17 PM

Boy, would I love to watch this… just got addicted to the American version this season…

• Ehi February 20, 2007 at 7:18 PM

Lmao. I went to High school with someone on this show but she can sing sha…so will see how far she goes.
      This should be fun to watch…Pls Bella is the show going to be streaming online like they did with Big Brother Nigeria? I would love to watch this show.
      Keep me posted Bella and thx for the gist…lol.

• Anonymous February 20, 2007 at 7:26 PM

I am proud to tears. Nigeria is making big waves in entertainment, fashion, and enterpreneurship. When will politics and the other sectors of the economy catch up?

• Anonymous February 20, 2007 at 7:31 PM

Bella delivers once again. Thanks a lot…very entertaining.

• mystoriesmytestimonies February 20, 2007 at 7:38 PM

enjoy ur week

• Blessed Child February 20, 2007 at 7:46 PM

Thanx so much for this Bella.Very interesting.Man!!Some of these people can sing!!Mike,the host,was 2 years my senior in Sec.School.Keep up the good work girl.

• Nkechi February 20, 2007 at 8:21 PM

thankssss for the hook up.im missin naij
      =(
      and the music….i just added the site to my favourites…

• milomo February 20, 2007 at 8:23 PM

LOL.. LOL.. wow wow wow… I am soooo tripping right now. I am a HUGE fan of Am. Idol and to see Idol WA is VERY COOL!! wow okay. This is a very good thing. There is so much talent out there without the means or exposure. I wld def watch if I was able to. Thanks for the info Bella.

But come o, where are the top picks going to perform? I mean when the voting starts? I sure hope its in Lagos, so if it gets featured on Am. Idol, we will get shots of gidi, including the obligatory 1004 flats shot. hmm… wait, thats right, 1G4 doesnt exist no more… damn shame

• Icy February 20, 2007 at 8:59 PM

Hmm Bell don did it again lol! YOU always bring it babz.. Rawk on! I’m going to go and watch the vids

• Anonymous February 20, 2007 at 9:17 PM

heeey, see me see WA IDOL oh. it srily cool 2 see it sha, i luv d auditions specially d funny 1s. bt then its gd 2 see gd talents 2. thnks bella for d info oh, u neva dissapoint. mo sa e o, lol. so i guess i’l start lookin out for them videos and all now, so its WA IDOL now baby. its goin ddooowwnn, yeeaahh!!!

• Chameleon February 20, 2007 at 11:36 PM

bella ur blog is just amazing.
      i was laughing so hard i almost cried when Tony was singing, esp when the judge behind went ‘ah ah’.

• Bee February 20, 2007 at 11:45 PM

LMAO….TOOOOOO FUNNY!. I love it already. Girl u’r the best :-)

• BGT February 21, 2007 at 12:19 AM

Dude/Judge on the far right hand talks to damn much. Its like “Shut up so we can hear folks sing…”

Anyways, this is great…Bella remember when we talked about Idols Nigeria…well here we have it…

I am so proud of my people.

• Omolabake February 21, 2007 at 1:26 AM

I’m excited abt this WA Idol thingy…..BUT….Dede Mabiaku is so annoying….che na by force for him to act mean?…..Common try and be ur self….besides, he’s not even giving the rest of the judges the opportunity to talk.
      No eloquency…whatsoever!!!
      Dede sings Fela’s song most of the time….NO ORIGINALITY!!!
      Someone like Kenny Ogungbe should have been used…

• Jaycee February 21, 2007 at 1:29 AM

I trust them…see the way they started with “the biggest show on the PLANETTTT right here in LAGOS…” LOLLLLL….Africans and superlatives! They make my day! (that was good, thanks for the entertainment info…didn’t even know the show was on down there…)

lolll…the videos were HILARIOUS…(abeg lemme go and read my book, I can’t contest!)

• In my head and around me February 21, 2007 at 1:59 AM

My girl was in this competition. I think she has an awesome voice but she did not make it. It’s really tough to be a star “init”?

Meanwhile, EVERYONE is tuning in to watch this show. Was in a few places on sunday and everyone was talking about it.

• damsel February 21, 2007 at 2:56 AM

I’m not really liking Dede Mabiaku on this show… he is overdoing his shakara and it will get cold too quickly

• Icy February 21, 2007 at 3:11 AM

Bella u’re the shiznit lol I mean damn gurl lol.. err sup with host wanna be simon.. not feeling it a lol too meloframatic I mean ki lo de!

• Dammie February 21, 2007 at 3:28 AM

Ohhh American Idol is on nowwwww.

This should be very entertaining, can’t wait to see it.

XxSafe journey my dearestxX

• Nanya February 21, 2007 at 5:17 AM

Have a great trip!

• Overwhelmed Naija Babe February 21, 2007 at 5:52 AM

fantastic concept and i’m proud of my Africa but dang that ‘simon cowell’ dude is annoying as hell.. he just loves to hear himself talk and drags on conversations for no reason… he’s not mean, sarcastic, funny… i’m drawing a serious blank with him!!! the american sounding dude rocks and abrewa nana i’ve loved from ghana times… abrewa nana.. men tu miiii!!!chale the babe has improved oh! and her brofoun di e.. no ez(lol… ghana terms.. just showing off)

• Miss Pearse February 21, 2007 at 7:24 AM

Usher Raymond (Tony) dancing brother….hahahahahahahohohohohohhehehehehehe…OMgoodness. My sides hurt…
      Ok, Bros Dede needs a chill pill…Be original, there can only be one Simon Cowell.
      And that Madam Ghana…’U need some Weerk’… is a hater ooo!! How about the Nana babe has a beautiful voice and she dint vote for her…Chei…Beef is bad, cos homegirl is foine.

• Anonymous February 21, 2007 at 7:54 AM

I went to High school with some of these contestants. Wish them goodluck. I cant stand Nana- her accent is annoying!

• Ehi February 21, 2007 at 9:04 AM

Emm please excuse me for what I am abt to say o…but I just found out that Lara from Kush entered for this show and I am sorry but why would they let her? I thought the whole concept of “idols” was to showcase nobodies with talent??Why must Naija always have some sort of K leg? She has had the opportunity of stardom why not give way for those who haven’t??

• Naija Vixen February 21, 2007 at 11:28 AM

cool pics…nd the “bad” vids were funny…safe journey to our town oh;-)

• The Life of a Stranger called me February 21, 2007 at 6:54 PM

thanks for informing the likes of me that would want to watch but is unbale to. Ive checked them out and they are tooooooooooo funy.

• Anonymous February 21, 2007 at 8:58 PM

dede needs to put a lid on it! Other than that the good, the bad and the horrible just like the original idol shows…but dede needs to stop acting like a simon cowell wannabe tx 4 posting

• Mona February 21, 2007 at 9:19 PM

sh*t men u beat me to this hehe anyways i wdnt hav covered it as well..with the pics….im back anyways hehe xx

• Mona February 21, 2007 at 9:20 PM

Somto was in my set in qc actually :o)

• iROCKORiGiNALiTY February 22, 2007 at 3:13 AM

What about those who dont live in Nigeria what are we suppouse to do? Oh dang! Were missing out big time, I really wanna watch this show..

• 9ja Opeke February 22, 2007 at 4:51 AM

This is the link to Vanessa‘s video, under [The Bad] category…just in case some of you were unable to view it.

~*~Thanks so much Bella…I have save it in my favorites.~*~

• Anonymous February 22, 2007 at 3:31 PM

LMAO.. this is too funny.. thanks bella for posting the links:)

• Anonymous February 25, 2007 at 7:16 PM

Horrible.

Many singers out there already so whats the point of this?

• david March 2, 2007 at 1:42 AM

na wa o. So na the ummm special be all that nonsense singing? I thot i was going to be blasted away by some wonder voices. A friend of mine would have swept them away singing in the shower! As for the bad…. God dey, my neighbours cat can do better. lol

• truth March 13, 2007 at 1:58 AM

Pretty back-dated but I just took the time to listen to these video clips that with some of ‘em almost sending me off my chair in laughter. If not for Bella, as at now, I definitely wouldn’t have any idea this is going on. Keep the clips coming.I’ll love to see one of Lara. I can’t open the ones on the actual Idol site.

• Anonymous March 15, 2007 at 11:48 AM

can someone please tell me why jarry is not amongst the top 10? Does ones looks have anything to do with talent? is that why is not amongst the top 10 candidates…… cos man THAT GUY CAN SING!!!!!!!!!!! Bella please say or do something.

• Anonymous March 28, 2007 at 10:31 PM

really and truely, d show is not dat bad, at least sum pple there can sing better than d ones we in yankee are watching presently. they are all so boring.. its not bad sha.

• Anonymous April 23, 2007 at 8:04 AM

“Dan rounds off the comments stating that West African performers do well internationally because, “African rhythms and African traditions are deep; they are passionately connected and West African singers express this in unique ways.” – quote from one of the judges from the Idol Website.

Yet I observe that ALL the contestants were singing songs in English. I think something is terribly skewed here…aren’t there beautiful African songs that can showcase a singer’s talent???. And every single contestant on the website cited NOT one African Artist as their “Favourite Artistes” – Sad really. Some really good potential though, and I think it is ripe for Africa to have a show like this, with the immense artistic talents that abound…hopefully this will transcend Africa to an international audience. I find all the judges generally boorish. Dede (Simon wannabe) is particularly annoying. Hope they can find better judges or at least replace Dede if nothing else as the other 2 are passable I guess. All in all, I think it’s a good start. Bella, thanks for the links.

• Anonymous May 9, 2007 at 8:48 AM

Honestly Temitayo is not doing it at all, even though I liked Gloria Estefan song she did, but her voice is not up to scratch she likes screaming and not raising her voice like a singer ooh! Africa please lets vote for the right reasons, Jodie is supposed to be in this not Temitayo my goodness! Someone told me that she will continue to get most votes because she’s from Lagos and this West African Idols is happening there I am beginning to believe it even the way her supporters like screaming her name, Unbelievable!!!

• Solomon July 2, 2009 at 5:28 PM

Very nice one. I enjoyed it from the inception to the end. The judges were wonderful especially Dede. He was very objective and fair. Kudos