BN Exclusive: Tuface & R Kelly Duet on ‘Flex’

Posted on Friday, December 19th, 2008 at 11:00 PM

By BellaNaija.com

2Face Idibia‘s new album, ‘The Unstoppable’ hit the shelves today and the track that everyone has been yearning to hear featuring international superstar R Kelly is one of the 19 tracks on the album. The release of this album along with the collaboration with R Kelly caps off a great year for TuFace. 2008 saw him win a World Music Award and perform at various international shows.

According to TuFace via PM News, “My fans should expect versatility, a whole lot of different flavours, fields and genres. They should expect something scintillating,” Asked why he chose the title, Tuface explained: “There were so many titles that came up. But the basic idea is, I am going nowhere. Come rain or shine, I am still going to be here by the grace of God. That therefore makes me unstoppable.”

This will be all over the radio and internet in a few hours but you heard it here FIRST.

The song samples Mad Cobra’s ‘Flex’ which was also recently covered by upcoming artiste Riz.

I have loads of respect for 2Face, he is uber talented (he wrote/cowrote all the tracks on the album) and wish him continued success but I cant lie, I was expecting much more from the track. I’ve just had one listen but the rest of the album is hot though!

Enjoy!

***Can someone help me – is it 2Face or TuFace…its getting so confusing these days!***

Thoughts?

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 69 Comments on “BN Exclusive: Tuface & R Kelly Duet on ‘Flex’”

Comments
    • notjustok December 19, 2008 at 11:16 PM

Heavy Track!!! Just the fact that he got Kellz on the track is big…

• notjustok December 19, 2008 at 11:34 PM

after listening to this track… I conclude that Rkelly could have done a better hook for the song, he half stepped… 2face and Natz did their thing though!

• silver December 19, 2008 at 11:57 PM

good work 2baba!…

• Drex December 20, 2008 at 12:06 AM

is that it?

• mi December 20, 2008 at 12:21 AM
    • Kp December 20, 2008 at 12:23 AM

Ok I’m kinda confused here, cos R Kelly has a song ft Shaggy called “flex” which is basically the same except that R Kelly actually had some verses and it seemed like it was his own song

• H2O December 20, 2008 at 12:53 AM

Nice track, since R.Kelly produced this song, and it is pretty much the same beats on the song with same title with Shaggy, I’ll assume Kels is double dealing which is just wrong…wat was he thinking, that is grounds for lawsuits depending on their contract agreement. Bad Bad R. Kelly…

• mi December 20, 2008 at 1:22 AM

lool..bels i think its 2face sha..happy holidays :)

• rocky December 20, 2008 at 2:18 AM

Damn kels y? He also just released d one he did wiv shaggy… That aint right…..y not publicise d one wiv tu instead u double-cross. I wonder wat d contract agreement was…… hot track tho..

• ooo December 20, 2008 at 2:44 AM

R.kelly did tuface string thing o!!!!this is the same song he did for shaggy now!na wa o!!didnt tufae sef do his own research?abi bcos it was R kelly he didnt care so far he had an internation star on his album?meanwhile Rkelly is a nobody again..after his peadohile wahala

• Temi December 20, 2008 at 4:35 AM

hmm…r kelly still carries weight when he releases o. he doesnt disappoint. but yeah…the whole court case dulled his career

• Temi December 20, 2008 at 5:23 AM

I really don’t c d big deal! Any one rem lil Wayne and Amillie ? Everyone includin JayZ have their version (s)
      I think it’s all abt context n wat u bring 2 d table!

• invisible December 20, 2008 at 6:28 AM

This song is 9ice, i luv 2face voice, omo he can never disappoint us .
      Kelly could have done better

• Olicious December 20, 2008 at 7:35 AM

Umm also dont you guys know RIZ..he has an exact song!!!!..its also called FLEX..and i think it sounds better!!! youtube it!

• Jaja December 20, 2008 at 7:36 AM

No where near as good as the original. If you can’t make a song better, why remix? Granted 2face is not very experienced internationly, but R Kelly is dissappointing, he should have done better. Definitely not worth the hype!

• omom December 20, 2008 at 8:11 AM

omo, bella the song is tight oh…i haven’t heard the shaggy/r kelly song but this is most def. dope

• Bolaji December 20, 2008 at 2:14 PM

HEY GUYS TUFACE IS D ONE SCAMMING YOU! THAT SONG WAS D SAME SONG WITH SHAGGY, JUST COMPUTER WORK TO TAKE SHAGGY’S PART AND INCLUDE HIS (TU-FACE) LISTEN TO THE THE SHAGGY REMIX AND U’LL REALIZE THAT ITS THE SAME TONE LEVEL. RKELLY DEFINITELY WILL NOT BE ON A TRACK AND JUST SING THE HOOK (CHORUS). I’M DISSAPOINTED AT TUFACE FOR THIS BALANT LIE!

• rocky December 20, 2008 at 3:05 PM

Bolaji pls that song just came out.. about the same time tuface album came out… notice the date added. Y didnt he put it on any other song and remember the album covers and cd have been printed for a while.. 2face album came out on the 14th the one wiv shaggy came out on the 12th or 13th how fast could they be to do that and printout album covers…plssss Y didnt he claim another artist… lets wait and see before we pass judgement.

• Bolaji December 20, 2008 at 4:00 PM

ok, if u look it up online, the song actually features shaggy, R.kelly ft Shaggy, so its not in shaggy’s album, and R.kelly is definitely not releasing any album soon, else we woulda heard about it. So something is fishy, and like u say, lets wait and see!

• Kaycee 1 December 20, 2008 at 4:46 PM

I m disappointed at all those castigating Tu. U all should be proud the album is finally out. Great soud Tu baba.

• jo December 20, 2008 at 4:47 PM

OMG! I just listened to the Shaggy version(youtube search Shaggy Flex) – its exactly the same – there most be a good reason though – different markets perhaps? all the same its an aiight song -hmm

• ucheboy December 20, 2008 at 5:19 PM

II agree with you.There was alot of computer works & i believe as the first time of singing with an african Mc,a nigerian in particular R.Kelly could have taken the first verse,second or third.2FACE, YOU FALL OUR HAND.

• Dosh December 20, 2008 at 11:05 PM

can y’all let d general public hear d song first? or wait, maybe i’ll just listen to d shaggy version n pretend its tuface, i tire o!

• Dosh December 21, 2008 at 12:21 AM

The flex song don try abeg. How many remixes will it have? haba, even sauce kid get it own version.

• Naughty Eyes December 21, 2008 at 5:05 AM

The verdict is in. Tuface just probably got permission to do a cover of the same R. Kelly / Shaggy track only this time with his voice sampled in place of Shaggy’s. It’s no big deal and definitely no “duet” like as if they did an original studio copy together. Using my PC, Fruity Loop 5 and a good mic, anyone (and I mean anyone) can feature with R. Kelly on this track – even Bella Naija.
      Afterall, kini big deal?

• Naija Rude-Bwoy! December 21, 2008 at 6:48 AM

Ok, it was just a market strategy to make people buy the album as soon as it comes out before they realize that it’s actually an already done musiq. No one needs permission from Kells for that cos the Kells song itself is a remake of d original song. I’m just mad cos they made people believe the song was like an in-studio recorded song with Kells.

• Lentini December 21, 2008 at 7:41 AM

na wa o! i have lost count of how many remixed many of Bob Marley’s sond or probably did a computer work to make it seem as if it was a duet bt we all know dat Bod Marley is dead. Lagbaja even did it with fela on 3 songs. please lest just give him kudos for the album coming out and he is doing his thing. 9ja folks and their criticizing mentality. JUST FREAKING APPRECIATE HIS GOOD WORK COS HE MEANT NO HARM!!!!!!!!!!!

• Naija Rude-Bwoy! December 21, 2008 at 8:16 AM

This is where people get a misconception, no one is criticizing the music or tuface, just saying that they made it seem like it was a IN-STUDIO written and composed song which is isn’t, Don’t take offense when people criticize, it doesnt mean they are haters.

• Qed December 21, 2008 at 9:27 PM

2face is a wonderful artist, his international success has inspired nigerian musicians and has cultivated the love of african music amongst millions. in that sense he a leader not just of african music but to a generation, (my point) am hoping his new song is a realisation of his responsibilty towards others in a year where he has had now many babies from different ladies within months.
      i dont question his morality as a person but as someone others look up to, companies call it corpoorate/social responsibilty or watever. its just rule of law that if you are in a position of influence you should been seen to conduct yourself in a respectable manner that may ‘copy’; I mean with levels of AIDs increasing rather than reduce amongst the young, i just find it sad.

once more i think is a great artist with alot more to give in music…but his image needs abit of polishing

ok quick joke: when he said we were his african queens, i didnt think he meant it literally…lol

• Zeeyna December 21, 2008 at 9:38 PM

people.I think we shud giv 2 face some credit.He is one of our own and he is talented.Dats enuf for us to encourage him.And the song Does sound nice doesnt it.Lets start holdin our people up, not pullin dem down………..gosh.

• mister mister December 21, 2008 at 11:14 PM

i think anybody dat thinks u can use another artists vocals wivout his conscent…especially whn u an artist like 2face wiv growin international status. dat track is a very dope track…u either like it or u dont. stop complaining abt him sampling rkelly’s vocals. matter of fact the if u listen to kells and shaggy….the hook is slightly different …slightly.
      free tu baba jo…abi una no like good thing ni?

• Paul December 22, 2008 at 5:24 AM

My problem is, there is a version that is almost completely identical that has Shaggy on the track instead of TuFace.
      Same instrumentals.
      I was slightly (largely) let down, that’s all. The way he kept on screaming that it would feature R Kelly, you would have thought that Kells would have flown to Naija to record with him in person you know.
      Otherwise, it sounds nice. But I’m still not impressed.

• Cynthia December 22, 2008 at 12:25 PM

Absotlutely loving this track! Well done to him!

• mamanino~ December 22, 2008 at 12:30 PM

this is not the way to encourage someone who’s trying to do us proud in the music market(internationally)
      its not a computer work like some said..its actually an IN-STUDIO record…y’all shld note
      tubaba did record the song with R.kelly and the video would be out soon too.abeg! give it up for him jo…he’s definitely unstoppable n i’m proud of his TALENT.

• Dotun! December 22, 2008 at 12:52 PM

The fact that an identical song is released not long before creates CONTROVERSY and don’t blame people when they become skeptical about how the song was recorded. I dont know where u got the story dat that song was actually In Studio recorded cos i could tell it isn’t. And let’s see if he actually records a video for it.

• Ruff Dogg December 22, 2008 at 3:50 PM

Make una free this guy na… the guy is selling and making money, una dey here they kill una sef. Again, he is only trying to put his music as well as Nigeria on the map. We the Naija People should be appreciative of that fact.
      Some say he made us believe he was going into the studio with the ‘R’ in ‘R & B’ and yet he didn’t; yes, that is marketing strategy, not genocide or terrorism – so let the brother be.
      I for one love the 2Face and his music, and this particular song – Flex, is simply amazing to me. I love it.
      Keep Big It Up 2Baba; Boom!

• kp December 22, 2008 at 4:53 PM

this guy has been on the same track with wyclef, beenie man, chakademus & pliers, not to talk of sharing the same stage with many high profile artists, so this is a natural progression. I hope they come out with a video and shame some ppl here cos some ppl are acting like he just carried out a crime against humanity. u guys chill, the song is hot!!! that should be enough for now

• Babajide MalcolmX December 22, 2008 at 6:07 PM

7 gun-salute to 2baba-pikinz for this unstoppable album of his,at least sharing the mic with Pied-Piper;Robert Kelly And Chakademus&Pliers is indeed awesome which will also open doors to other artiste.You know Tu’s debut with the award winning African Queen track can be affirmed to be what has benchmark our now lucrative music industry.However, Innocent should up the ante of his video productions with this new work.I will like to give him free creative production assistance if he can call me on 08027722596.Na Spoil we spoil,we no dey tief!

• olujay December 22, 2008 at 7:38 PM

2face is the best thing to have happened to nigeria music industry. he has opened doors for many other artists. his new album is the bomb. 2face has never dissapointed me and he will not

olujay

• esob~ December 23, 2008 at 11:58 AM

its called facts my dear…it was recorded last year and the video shot was slated for early this year before the whole R.kel court case.
      pls stop hatting my bros achievement.
      tubaba is an achiever…y’all hater

• benaldinho December 23, 2008 at 1:42 PM

wel i appreciate the album is nice but they could be some improvement most especoally on ur love songs.peace

• ziga baba December 23, 2008 at 11:22 PM

2baba,u be the man,enemies ku danu,the album is the tightest from the sores of africa.
      bob marly lucky dube majek fasek 2 baba……………………tht how it is.
      my 3 greatest passion.God Arsenal 2 baba

• Uche December 24, 2008 at 7:38 PM

Trust me TuFace,you delight me.You know how good a song is, on how it is appreciated on a dance floor. Flex rocks……..

• olaeli December 25, 2008 at 9:26 AM

I dont think this track needs any changes……he’s got a bit of wyclef swagger which i’m diggin’

• Famo December 25, 2008 at 10:40 AM

Dis is not a hate or no hate issue. Dis duet with R.Kelly is not working 4 me at all.I expectd much than dis, haba.I am begining to believe wot one of Tu Baba’s media friends told me dat R.Kelly only laid his voice.I learnt both musicians didn’t really record d work in d same studio!For me, R.Kelly or no R.Kelly, Tu Face is okay all by himself.The guy is good on his own n Nigerian artistes can hold their own any weher in the world.I can say this again!Infact I dey vex!

• ibe nwapapa December 26, 2008 at 3:12 AM

1: We claim 2 love music but a great %age are just stuck with some sorta what they consider club worthy track for it 2 be a hit. (blab huh?)
      1b: That particular sound has become the yardstick 2 judge sounds now.

2: 2face is an artist…a good 1 for that matter. he’s so instrumental in turning the wheels of 9ja muzik. Check him out since late 90′s. He’s 1 of the new school cats that has helped put our sound on the map so he has the RIGHTS to branch out (call it EXPERIMENT if u like).
      Dude has dropped FACE2FACE and it did its work then, then dropped GRASS2GRACE – a more mature album but the 9ja club freaks failed to broaden their minds 2 accept.
      Now UNSTOPPABLE has dropped with some cool new feel. Unfortunately, we (supposed 2face fans) seem to limit him within 9ja..infact withing Lagos meanwhile Dude has some mad ass talent 2 rock the world. This album is for the world not just Lagos. Until we all understand his strat the we’ll APPRECIATE(besides lissen 2 dat track again and again)
      HOW MANY OF US HAVE SEEN HIM WHISTLE????????????????????????????

3: Haters, just lissen attentively 2 the sounds that’ll follow and see how Wannabes would increase madly.(even some of our so called known stars)

4: All dem critix, what song have they put out? They just sit and voice out dem fantasies n frustration…If 2face aint good why would there be so much eyez and attention on him?

5: Unannounced, no album lisening party or session or posters all around and STILL it’s so obvious how wide UNSTOPPABLE has gone already. Who has the floss or that followership 2 pull such stunt?

6: He wants 2 be FREE….un wax ur ears and play the 6th track.
      It’s a pity they get 2 catch up how the JUNGLE DON MATURE when im 4th album go soon drop.

7: Give dis dude room 2 FLY cuz if he’d decided not 2 SING at first and just became a banker or woteva none of y’all woulda known him. 2baba is so muzikal and has some content. DUDE IS HOT so SHINE UR EYE MAKE U NO BE D GUY WEY IM GO USE KOBOKO HUMBLE!

• Yuyu December 27, 2008 at 12:49 AM

I agree 100%. Tuface does great work on his own, this duet sounds half-baked, boring and just not cool. Plus I can’t stand R Kelly! LOL Seriously, the duet ‘is not werking for me’. I love Tuface sha – the guy is mega-talented.

• Baby December 28, 2008 at 2:46 AM

LOL, DID U SERIOUSLY WRITE ALL DAT JAGONZ BELOW?

• China December 29, 2008 at 10:23 PM

Hi Bella. Whichever one 2face or TuFace, that’s is his name. But i think he uses ’2face’ nore nowadays… the other one was when he was still in his group. Btw, i love ur site!

• Ben December 30, 2008 at 8:39 PM

2face na my man but my can do better if only he is himself……….. i mean real. . i beg try to something great just like african queen…

• cee cee December 31, 2008 at 6:01 PM

Loving the MOSHOOD shirt on the cover!!!

• Mito January 3, 2009 at 4:42 AM

I think this version pales in comparison to Riz & Sauce Kid’s version of FLEX. Just take a listen to it and judge for yourself. To be quite frank, Tuface can do much better than this. This song was such an iconic jam that if you remake it, you have to top it or don’t try at all. This version definitely falls short of the original.

• chelsea number 1 January 3, 2009 at 10:55 AM

dis is shit mehn….im not impressed
      lyrically rubbish
      kai…………..

• michael January 3, 2009 at 1:04 PM

i don’t know why some pple are so dumb, or should i say they hate gud music or what else do u want from a multiple award winner.

• michael January 3, 2009 at 1:07 PM

if u aint impressed it’s ur problem, but mind u tuface is the bomb

• pam January 6, 2009 at 1:34 PM

even whitney houston and mariah never entered the same studio for Believe… this is the digital age, no one has to duet together in the same space anymore. very few do.

• Kenny January 7, 2009 at 1:19 AM

Na so!!! 2baba”s album is simply classy but D banjs entertainer remains my album of the year…

• Magnetic January 9, 2009 at 2:00 PM

i agree

• Magnetic January 9, 2009 at 2:02 PM

the album, is just a trailer load of rubbish.

• AKP January 9, 2009 at 2:11 PM

your papa.Make you dey here dey speak plenty english.Go studio amke we hear your duet.Witch people.

• mimi January 11, 2009 at 10:54 PM

the flex track’s not that great. something not v original about the album cover photo as well. i think r kelly had one like that a while ago.

• Bem January 12, 2009 at 4:00 PM

I don’t get why people are falling over themselves to criticise this song. There are soooo many remixes out there so whats wrong with 2face joining in on the fun. It’s got to be a credit to whoever wrote the original that so many people are clamouring to do a cover of his song.

I actually really like this song and I’m no die-hard 2face fan. To be honest, his last album had to grow on me but this I instantly liked. From what I know, most people instantly liked Grass2Grace so that just goes to show that this might later grow on some of you guys.

Give d guy a break and just enjoy the song, haba!!!

• [...] promo for his new album ‘The Unstoppable’. As soon as the album was released, his song ‘Flex’ feat R Kelly created hysteria on the internet and now he’s finally released a video for the song [...]

• Z January 19, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Parental Advisory!….the hell? two sex junkies on 1 track…thats just great.

• Tuface January 28, 2009 at 11:51 PM

Bella his facebook page says Tuface; so I guess that’s the operative spelling

• ejike nwanna February 1, 2009 at 9:19 PM

hey i’m ffrom nigeria living n cape verde island, i feel so proud when ever i hear nigeria music espercially tuface music and this last album unstoppable is very great and awsome, infact tuface u have gone high and God will continue to lift u more higher for making nigerians proud. thank’s

• abbys February 15, 2009 at 10:01 PM

whether u talk or u no talk 2face don collect his money so no nid 2 argue 2face is gud nd hot no doubt abt dat

• austine September 24, 2009 at 5:53 AM

2face is simply the best i dont know why people critisize him. 2baba carry go we dey feel you

• kennycee October 10, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Thanks a lot 2face for your hard work, please keep it up and i pray that God will guide and i protect you always. You are the best and many people need your present here in Paris. Big up my Brother