Pick Your Fave

Posted on Monday, November 1st, 2010 at 1:52 PM

By BellaNaija.com

BN Pick Your Fave is beginning to occupy a special place in our hearts as one of our favourite BellaNaija.com Style features.
We are especially filled with glee when it is a Nigerian designer’s piece being rocked by the beautiful stylistas.
Today, the ‘Pick Your Fave’ piece is the Ituen Basi Iro ati Buba‘. The piece was first presented during Ituen’s show at the 2010 Africa Fashion Week which took place in Johannesburg earlier this year. It was also featured as part of the Ituen Basi ‘Independence’ Collection. Since then, we have spotted so many women wearing this in lots of different prints and colours.

Folake Kuye-Huntoon of WeWe Clothing and StylePantry.com, rocked 2 iterations of this look. For her first look, She paired the yellow print buba with the purple print iro. She totally made the look ‘her own’ but folding up the sleeves of the buba and shortening the iro. Folake also added interesting accessories to add even more spice to the look. Multiple bangles on her wrist, chandelier earrings and a bold necklace. She paired it with ankle boots and socks to round off this groovy retro look. Beautiful.

Filmmaker/Music Video Director/TV Presenter, Kemi Adetiba has always supported Nigerian designers! From her days as an MNet Studio 53 presenter to her stint on the TV game show, Temptation Nigeria, Kemi has always proudly worn pieces by African designers. So it was no surprise when Kemi wore lots of Ituen Basi pieces on this season of the Maltina Dance All TV Show which she hosted. Kemi wore the green and pink print iro and buba. She accessorized with an Ituen Basi necklace and bangles. Totally love the unexpected pairing with Leopard print shoes! Fierce.

Ituen Basi’s inhouse model and muse, Chantelle is pretty much always in Ituen Basi and she wears it very well! At the Ituen Basi/Aimas event, she looked cute in the red and yellow buba paired with the white and yellow iro. Accessories including earrings and bangles were by Ituen Basi as well. Her ankara sandals? We don’t need to tell you where they came from.

Once again, Folake does this Ituen Basi look justice! The LA-based designer paired the green and pink iro ati buba with brown knee high Celine boots and standout jewellery. Her curly mane completes the look.

So…Pick Your Fave

Also, check out the festive Ituen Basi iro ati buba shoot for the Independence Collection.

Photo Credit: Style Pantry | Kola Oshalusi | K’Alpha | BellaNaija.com

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags:

• Custom Search
  • 41 Comments on “Pick Your Fave”

Comments
    • BC November 1, 2010 at 1:58 PM

#2 and #3. Actually, they all look hot

• Amour November 1, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Numbe three all the way mehn!!! Loving her sandals. I wonder if I can pull this looks off though…

• BC November 2, 2010 at 8:36 PM

I wish more of our actors would rock Ankara like this. Now, the sandals i am not feeling too much. Some suede shoes would complete the look and send it from casual to elegant chic. Maybe one of Rita Dominic’s suede shoes? ):

• me November 1, 2010 at 2:06 PM

indifferent

• lustre November 1, 2010 at 2:16 PM

me too but worse case scenario, i go for 2 et 3

• nrgirl November 1, 2010 at 2:12 PM

Kemi hands down!

• Ene November 1, 2010 at 2:27 PM

In my opinion, Chantelle rocked it best…followed closely by Kemi Adetiba. The boots in the first and last pics ruin the look for me!

• DUDU November 1, 2010 at 2:29 PM

Like seriously, where are pple supposed to wear this outfit to? Weddings, cocktails, fashion shows, church because I have no clue.

• Bukky November 1, 2010 at 9:34 PM

fashion shows and artsy events i am guessing!I love it

• Glossy November 2, 2010 at 10:30 AM

Sharrap jo! You should not be on Bella Naija if you dont get it. I am tired of these people who lack creativity coming on here to leave stupid messages. Go and read another blog that is more suited to your nature and character and stop spoiling it for those of us who enjoy this stuff

• DUDU November 3, 2010 at 12:00 PM

Thanks Bukky.
          Glossy, i can’t help but shake my head at you. Why do I get the feeling that it’s Ituen Basi replying this.

• Lha March 3, 2011 at 11:38 PM

@ DUDU, you obviously do not know her. thats why you would think that.

• WaleAdeniji November 1, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Back to the old times style of dressing.

• Lol November 1, 2010 at 4:14 PM

Yes o…

• WaleAdeniji November 1, 2010 at 2:32 PM

Will like to add that they all look good and acceptable.

• ego November 1, 2010 at 2:58 PM

hmmm… inneresting, but… i hate the outfits. there something very contrived about it, notcreative at all, just made to look kool!

• Tres Belle November 1, 2010 at 3:00 PM

2 n 3 DEF!!!! Love thee iuen basi sandals and shoes. FAB!!!!!

• no unwholesome talk November 1, 2010 at 3:10 PM

#3 then 2

• Gorgeous November 1, 2010 at 3:14 PM

Folake’s was the most beautiful of the bunch. The color’s go well with her beautiful skin, and she’s a beautiful girl. I have always loved this style, “Iro ati buba”. Funny how our parents used to wear mini clothes, but will raise hell when we do. Always remind my mother of the days of this style when she goes into a fit. Do as i say people.lol.

• Gorgeous November 1, 2010 at 3:18 PM

and i think these style’s are totally wearable to any event in the right color’s, and if the designer’s make the buba a little more fitted. Especially around the sides and the arms. Its truly beautiful and i would def. wear proudly.

• Miss ATL November 1, 2010 at 3:44 PM

I wouldn’t wear them to a dressy event like a wedding. Casual events – concerts, parties, fashion shows, sure.

• sola November 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM

mixed prints…luv it!!! And they all rocked it well

• Yuds November 1, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I need those tie-up sandals in my life ASAP! CUTE!

• Ms. Jayee November 1, 2010 at 4:18 PM

Brilliant! but i’ll fly with Chantelle’s combo best. The models in the other pictures are bunzzzz ooo!

• Justme November 1, 2010 at 4:19 PM

Luv them all, cant even pick fav….

• haaa November 1, 2010 at 4:37 PM

these are lovely, its like giving a new twist to traditional wear.
      ill definitely wear this to go out to casual affairs but not to a formal occasions though

• Kemi November 1, 2010 at 6:31 PM

Love it!!

• Joohls November 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM

where is anyone supposed to wear these pieces of fabric too? they are neither stylish nor novel. abeg let us step up our game. it’s not by cutting two mismatched ankara and putting them together.

• Bukky November 1, 2010 at 9:33 PM

i love Ituen Basi, i love how she turned the regular iro and buba into something fun & colourful.I am impressed

• Passerby November 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM

Any idea who the photographer was for Ituen Basi’s collection? Responses would be greatly appreciated, tanks

• from-me-to-you November 2, 2010 at 12:35 AM

purely for photoshoot sake …so i give it to chantel…can’t imagine anyone showing up at my wedding, shower, birthday (you name it) looking like moladun kenke-lewu. number 3 still rocked it sha

• Karimah November 2, 2010 at 1:48 PM

had sum1 wear it 2 church and i almost went wtf… apparently d chic next 2 me had d same expression…

• funtizzy November 2, 2010 at 1:30 AM

lovely outfits

• Sims November 2, 2010 at 2:16 AM

Outfit No 1 and 4 absolute fav, Love the contradicting vibes it gives… She’s wearing the outfit not the other way round – style NOT fashion!!

• fokasibe November 2, 2010 at 10:53 AM

No 3….mos def.

• Misola November 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM

#1 and 4… For obvious reasons. :)

• bob-ij November 2, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I love Chantelle’s . I’d rock it to a barbecue as is…Not that there’s any “barbecueing” for me, for a while. I love this “iro ati buba” idea by ituen basi…Afro-modernity at its best!

• Misskhadiva November 3, 2010 at 7:25 AM

#1 and #4…folake nailed it! very stylish. i love the way she dressed it up with boots and fun accessories. #2 is boring, and #3 is just ok…all i can really see is her pretty face.

• olamide November 3, 2010 at 10:02 AM

I am a huge fan of this designer BUT It is so soo sooo,maybe the third one at most BUT to where precisely.

• charitymaria November 4, 2010 at 5:42 PM

i am a fan of this designer i love it so much,and may be d first one at d most but to where percisely.

• amber rose November 8, 2010 at 3:39 AM

ituen basi totally rocks. i see myself wearing it to artsy events like concerts, galleries, lit events…berbecues, trad wedding, shopping etc. it rocks!!!! tie a turban around ur head for d added zing. ppl, if u dnt get it, stop reading bellanaija, live ur BORING lives instead. we must not all b fashionable. for all the old women who ‘eye’ my short dresses, look at wat y’all wore in the good old days. Chantelle rocked it best.