Aliko Dangote

Forbes Magazine has released its annual “Forbes  Billionaires List”. The 2012 list of billionaires from all around the world is a record setting one! 1,226 people made the list, this is the all-time highest number of billionaires ever. This time around, 18 Africans made it to the list with Saudi billionaire, Sheikh Mohammed Al-Amoudi, moving Aliko Dangote off the number one position as the richest black person in the world.

The Ethiopian-born Mohammed Al-Amoudi who is worth an estimated $12.5 billion is now the richest black man. He is $1.3 billion richer than Dangote who takes the second position with $11.2 billion.

Carlos Slim of Mexico retained his position as the world’s richest man for the third consecutive year with a net worth of $69billion. Microsoft Corp cofounder Bill Gates ranked second place at $61 billion and Warren Buffett third at $44 billion.

Bernard Arnault made it to the fourth position on the list with a net worth of $41 billion while Amancio Ortega, the man behind the fashion chain Zara followed at the fifth position with $37.5 billion.

27 year-old Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook founder and CEO made it to the 35th position on the list with a net worth of $17.5 billion. He climbed up 17 spots from last year adding $4 billion to his previous figure.

The youngest self-made female billionaire, Sara Blakely made it to the list at number 1,153 with a net worth of $1 billion. From her business, Spanx, which makes slimming undergarments, she affirmed that there was profit in vanity.

Oprah Winfrey, American TV mogul still stands alone as the only black female billionaire in the world.

Out of the 1,226 people who made it to the 2012 FORBES list of the world billionaires, only 6 are black. They are:

Mohammed Al-Amoudi

Country: USA
Source: Television

Mo Ibrahim
Net Worth: $1.1 billion
Country: United Kingdom
Source: Telecoms

Other Africans on the list are:

Nicky Oppenheimer & family

Country: Egypt
Source: Diversified

Mohamed Al Fayed
Net Worth: $1.3 billion
Country: Egypt
Source: Retailing

The United States of America dominated the list with 425 billionaires among the 58 countries that made the list.

Source: Forbes, Washington Post.

46 Comments on The Forbes 2012 Billionaires List – Find Out Which African Moguls Are on the List
  • Personal Shopper March 8, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Una go halla my name one day!!!hehehe

• tinu March 8, 2012 at 4:22 pm

it is well,hope they r all giving back cos all is vanity.

• Kimbo S March 8, 2012 at 5:12 pm

You couldn’t help but go puritan on us? A Man works hard, bleeds his heart out to build something (which by its mere existence is no immense value to his fellow Men) but you wouldn’t rest till you have the shirt off his back? You would not acknowledge his hard work but rather wave off his reapings as vanity? Interesting . . .

• Theodora March 8, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Make una no worry, just hold up for me, i dey come from behind, soon i go join this list………….congrats uncle dangote and brother mike

• Madun March 8, 2012 at 4:25 pm

what’s the value in publishing this every year again? smcheweeeeeew!

• Yoknyam Dabale March 8, 2012 at 8:45 pm

great question for us all to digest!

• Dontbejealous March 9, 2012 at 4:21 am

I guess it’s to remind you of how miserable ur life is…or something along those lines.

• vncent March 8, 2012 at 4:28 pm

we appreciate all of you because of your individual efforts but still remember that you are accumuating billions there are billions of our brothers and sisters hungry. please feed them. and you will remain rich here and hereafter

• adah March 9, 2012 at 1:58 pm

They employ millions of people REMEMBER???

• EUCK March 9, 2012 at 6:38 pm

If only you knew……Go to Kano and see what Dangote organizes everyday! You will truly understand that it is in giving that you become rich. They don’t have to broadcast it….

• Lue March 8, 2012 at 4:58 pm

please, anyone wanna introduce me to Aliko’s son?

• Tosin March 8, 2012 at 5:09 pm

1. Each of these people has such a big responsibility to use their money to do something worthwhile.
    2. One day black or white wouldn’t matter. Really, who cares?
    3. If you had just $10 million, would you strive for more money or would you lose interest in making more?

• Aibee March 8, 2012 at 5:48 pm

I know it’s unimportant but abeg BN, how can a Saudi Arabian man become’black?’ Mohammed Al-Amoudi- Net Worth: $12.5 billion, Country: Saudi Arabia, Source: Oil- this dude certainly isnt black in any sense of the word.

• chinny March 8, 2012 at 5:57 pm

his egyptian born and his mom is egyptian, and he is black in physical attributes, but by paternity is saudi arabian.

• ……..just saying March 9, 2012 at 8:18 pm

therefore he is Saudi Arabian Shikena!!

• Merciful March 8, 2012 at 5:51 pm

indeed it is well!

• jennietobbie March 8, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Amen Amen.!!! You skipped my name tho, BN

• Freedom March 8, 2012 at 7:42 pm

How many of the ppl on the list went to school past highschool or secondary. I want to emphasisze my point to a friend that sometimes going to school is a waste of time. I wish there were schools from kindargaten all the way to universtity that teaches nothing else but ENTREPRENEURSHIP and how to own a business and run a busssiness. 80% of the things we learn in school is nonsense.

AFter listening to my mentor Lagosian based motivational speaker Olumide Emmanuel It made me realise that i should have stopped schooling after college instead of wasting $80,000 plus in an ivy league doing my MBA to which i havent even finish paying.

Schools prepare people to become poor.

someone needs to open a school like a said teaching about business from kindargarten all the way to up.

I bet you many on those list only have a high school degree – yet they became 100X better than us who wasted time in school learning nonsense like statistics, calculus, blah blah blah. Alll you need to learn is business. When i have a child i will make sure they will get at least 2 yr college degree but nothing after that. By age 6 they will be helping me run my business like Donald Trump did with his kids and Kimora lee is doing with Aoki and Ming Lee taking them into board rooms and stuff.

I will disown my children if they tell me they wnat to be doctor , lawyer nurse etc – I want them to be business owners by age 18. GBAM finish! My children WILL NEVER A DAY IN THEIR LIFE CLOCK IN TO WORK FOR ANYBODY BUT THEMSELVES – dELOITTE, aCCENTURE, mCKINSEY ETC FCK ALL OF EM. i AM NOT YOUR SLAVE.

• F March 8, 2012 at 9:04 pm

hahahahaha. You actually have a very strong point. Perhaps, it just seems that people who don’t go to college and succeed behyond expectation, are more willing to take risks and may have innate business acumen.

• Babe March 8, 2012 at 9:24 pm

makes a lot of sense

• jczgrl March 9, 2012 at 10:53 am

My gosh…BN where is the like button. I totally love this post. Me I’m still trying to pay off $50k in ivy league grad school debt. I wish someone had shown me the light earlier. Maybe we should team up and start the entrepreneurship school oh seriously. Great concept!

• Berry March 9, 2012 at 11:55 am

Tell ‘em why you mad!

• tatafo! March 9, 2012 at 2:38 pm

GBAM!very valid points

• EUCK March 9, 2012 at 6:46 pm

The funny thing is that I totally have the same views! Ok…not quite as extreme as forcing them to stop school after jnr/community college. But they shall be working at an early age and helping run my business! If they chose to go into “regular” employment, they shall have side hustles no matter how small. Because at the end of the day these companies you are working for started with someone else’s entrepreneurial dream! Someone may decide not to like your face anymore and downsize you @$$. At least you’ll have something to fall back on.

• UsaveOne March 8, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Fine, but if their riches does not affect the lives of the less privileged /needy in the society, they their ‘Billionaire-lism’ means nothing & complete waste!

Check… http://usaveone.blogspot.com/

• NNENNE March 8, 2012 at 9:01 pm

@freedom… You are right if your goal in life is to be super rich. But truth is, not everyone is striving for that. Some folks just want to be comfortable and happy. A doctor’s salary will not make you a millionaire but it will certainly make you comfortable.Plus, if you are called to be a doctor, the joy of helping people in their most hours of need…Priceless.

• faith March 8, 2012 at 10:08 pm

thaanks nnene…u spoke my words…

• UK shopping connect March 8, 2012 at 10:45 pm

One day we sef go enter! In the mean time check us out

• UK shopping connect March 8, 2012 at 10:46 pm
  • christy March 8, 2012 at 10:59 pm

Money, money, money.hmmmmm.I need 2 take a deep breath.y did dangote drop,hop dat won’t giv him sleeples nite,rich men ar scared of fallin.I ve my inner peac,so many billoner commit suicide durin d economic meltdown.hw did dey start?wil d eva died?do dey hve sound sleep as I do?do dey eat wit a relax mind?I luv 2 sleep nd eat witout any care n d world.do dey feel secure as I do?if dey sure lack al dis den I don’t wanna be a billionaire.I jst pray 4 a comfotabl home,nic ride peacful family nd more impotantly 2 make heaven

• Pendo March 9, 2012 at 12:22 am

Oprah don’t worry am soon joining you…you will never stand alone again!

• All about Nigeria March 9, 2012 at 1:40 am

so proud to see Nigerians there. I just hope they make a significant difference in Nigeria- not just money.

• Ibinike March 9, 2012 at 7:03 am

Where is Ibori, and all the other mega-rich politicians in this list? Only the money you work for count in Forbes u know. So stop thieving

• joinmecelebrate March 9, 2012 at 9:27 am

@Ibinike, his name is on the other side of the list!

• Eggy*Posh March 9, 2012 at 10:06 am

Unfortunately it doesnt transmit to the “happiest people” on earth list…

• Teema March 9, 2012 at 4:34 pm

Since when did happiness become the antonym of wealth? My dear, it is better to be an unhappy rich man than be unhappy and poverty stricken, @least correct AC go dey blow you small :-)

• OPEMIPO March 9, 2012 at 10:25 am

money speaking! School is obviously not a criteria to get rich,but education is…

• Nike March 9, 2012 at 10:36 am

Na wa ooo. See bad belle people. I am not a business person, in fact I work in an office but earn well. I am comfortable and happy. I wish them and their family all the happiness in the world and wish the same for mine. Whether they give back or not is not your concern but that of the Creator who gave them their wealth

• lola March 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

Nike, you took the words right out of my mouth! tell them o

• Jemibee March 9, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Good to know!! Remember all fingers aren’t equal so stop hating at those on the list or those who aspire to be there someday. It’s a free world, everyone can choose for himself.

• cynthia March 9, 2012 at 3:09 pm

whether they give back to society or not is nobody business becos the don’t have to and that doesn’t make them the worst person on earth. some of these pple work their ass off to be where the are now, so the deserve to enjoy the money. going to school doesn’t guarantee u will be a millionaire/billionaire but it guarantee u of getting a good job and living comfortable

• aah March 9, 2012 at 3:54 pm

The best wealth is riches in kindness cos that is what lasts forever. Most of them will rot in hell anyway and

• Tas March 11, 2012 at 1:52 am

well done to them all….

• Sam March 12, 2012 at 4:04 pm

While I don’t exclusively support the idea of not going to school, education in it’s original sense means to inspire from within and sometime you need to be externally motivated to pop open your real essence from within.Go to school if you can but don’t stop there. Travel in ward before you embark on a trip abroad for advance slavery in the name of higher education and skills. There is a spirit in man and the inspiration from the Almighty gives him understand.yep!

• Jimi March 14, 2012 at 1:51 am

All I know is that the list is not completed yet cos iKm coming to occupy the first 100th billionaires in the world.
    So help me God.