Following what can be described as one of the most publicized court cases involving a Nigerian couple in the UK on charges of child abuse, Nigerian parents, Joseph and Gloria Musa have each been sentenced to seven years in jail.

Their ordeal gained media frenzy since April 2010 when their five children were taken away from their custody on grounds of child abuse. They were accused of claiming that their six children were possessed by evil spirits and beating them with brooms, vacuum cleaners and wires. They were also accused of giving their baby a morphine overdose just days after her first birthday.

According to Telegraph, the children were taken away from their parents after their nine year-old daughter threw a heart-wrenching SOS note out of a window in April 2010. The reported content of the note read:

My mum is the worst mum ever because she can’t cope with five of us, her broken hand and being pregnant. She always leaves me out so I always starve and I am forced to work. If I don’t get enough house work done, I am beaten without mercy with the wooden end of a broom. I have scars all over me to prove it. I can’t stay here. I would like a new mum.

The note was found by a neighbour who called the police.

Gloria Musa who was pregnant at that time had her newborn taken away from her after delivery at the hospital on June 12, 2010. According to a report published in Vanguard, she described her the experience of having nine policemen invading the hospital to seize the baby as “bizarre, unthinkable and worrisome“.

She went on to say that they applied force on her as she tried to hang on to her baby and bruised her as they over powered her and took her baby.

The action which generated ripples both in Nigeria and the UK attracted the attention of the House of Representatives who described what the Musas were going through as the height of inhumanity. They stepped into the matter and called on the British government to ensure that the Musas are re-united with their kids until evidence shows any wrong doing on the part of the couple.

The baby was later returned to her mother after she failed to thrive in care.

In a Press Release published by the Arise Nigeria Legal Department on their website at the start of the hearing of the case, it said that some false allegations were meted out on the Nigerian couple. The Press Release claimed that Haringey Council accused Gloria Musa of being a sex worker and being mentally and physically unable to cater for her children, all of which it claimed to be false. It also claimed that the court deliberately tried to delay the release of the DNA test which proved that Joseph Musa is indeed the father of the six children and has prohibited the testing of the letter which was allegedly written by their daughter by a hand writing expert.

On the part of the Haringey Council, they say that after their daughter dropped the letter from the window, police officers went to their house and found the children living in messy conditions with “dirty” and “dishevelled” clothing. The UK Telegraph writes;

The eldest daughter had revealing scars on her body and said her mother had hit her with a cable, a broom, and a hoover and her father had dangled her by her feet down the stairwell of the house, tied her hands behind her back and her legs together “to get the devilish spirits out”.

Her sister, who was seven at the time, had a stick shaped bruise of her thigh and after a few months in care, she drew a series of pictures showing her dad beating her and her being left home alone and including a speech bubble saying ‘I’m hungry.’

The children were left home alone for hours, sometimes days on end, with the elder kids forced to look after the others.

They had even been forced to lie to a charity and social services that they were living alone with their mother in one room and had no idea who their dad was so they could scam benefits.

Star actress Michelle Collins of Coronation Street, who met the children at a church lunch and said they looked so neglected that she took them to a cinema “because she felt sorry for them” also testified at the hearing.

Some parties who spoke on behalf of the Musa’s described their ordeal as a violation of their human rights and one of the worst cases of child snatching.

As they left the court yesterday, they wailed: “We are innocent, this is a miscarriage of justice“. The couple face deportation to Nigeria once they have served their sentences.

This family’s ordeal has created a buzz online and in the Nigerian community, UK ever since it broke out. With their sentencing, many are still on the side of the couple saying their children were unjustly taken away from them and the sentence was unfair.

We only hope they get justice if they have indeed been wrongly accused.

Photo Credit: Publicity Online

100 Comments on Nigerian Parents, Joseph & Gloria Musa Jailed for 7 Years in UK following Allegations of Child Abuse
  • Jess August 15, 2012 at 2:26 am

It’s unfortunate for them but I feel like they are being used as scape goats for other Nigerian parents. Sometimes I think some Nigerians cross the spanking line and definitely abuse their kids. Also if it’s true they were “beating evil spirits” out of their kids, well that’s ridiculous and they probably deserve the sentence.

• Okojie August 15, 2012 at 10:39 am

Why are nigerians always culprit, this is disgraceful but must they jail them for 7 good years? Just because they are Nigerians

• MissT August 15, 2012 at 10:45 am

Are you high? What does being nigerian have to do with their jail term. They wre bullies, pure and simple. Taking their frustrations out on children they are supposed to love and respect. Why are nigerians always the culprit. No act of sympathy for those poor children, and what they have gone through. You are talking Nigerians. So they dont deserve jail term. 7 years is not even long enough. They deserve more, and they should not be allowed to ever set their eyes on those children again

• Stepheny August 15, 2012 at 4:04 pm

Well said Okojie! couldn’t have said it any better. I’m a mum myself and also living in London. While I can understand how frustrating it can be with inbibing discipline with children here ‘cos here you’re doing it all by yourself unlike the way we were raised back home having input from schools, relatives, family friends and even neighbours. Children here aremade to undertand that they primarily belong to the British Government, while you the parent are merely their secondary care givers. Hence are well encouraged and enpowered to report you if you ever lay a finger on them.

Well, there are other means to discipline them without being down right brutal. I don’t believe any child can look her mum in the face and exaggerate being bullied. Am sorry but Nigerians can take a piss sometimes all in the name of disciplining children.

Good for them! well deserved.

• Ify August 16, 2012 at 2:39 pm

There is no law against the discipline of children in UK but there is a law against trying to kill them. I was brought up in the UK and was smacked like any other child misbehaving but I wasn’t left with scars or bruises (I am also fair skinned). If you beat your children, tie them and starve them all in the name of discipline, expect to face time. If you are financially strained because of the children you have, don’t continue to practice unsafe sex and add extra to the equation. These people are pathetic. I hope they get deported.

• chike August 15, 2012 at 2:28 am

UK is not Africa that’s what Africans living there fail to understand. America will do more self. For UK floggers, learnt.

• Femi August 15, 2012 at 2:33 am

It is about time, child abuse and spouse abuse is so terrible, religion does really affect Nigerians a lot smh…

• Alexmode August 15, 2012 at 2:35 am

“Many are still on the side of the couple”???? What??!!! Little kids with scars on their bodies, writing sos notes were SCREAMING for help!!!! & yet there are still people on the side of the parents??????? What is wrong with Nigerians???!!! What a backwards society! SMH!

• klaus August 15, 2012 at 9:10 am

Those people on side of the parents beat their children too.

• Temiyemi August 15, 2012 at 9:56 am

My friend wrote a note to her mum when she was younger saying she would love to be returned to her real mum cos she was sure that wasn’t her real mum. This was because she got beaten a lot. My other friend did something similar too when he was in secondary school. I also did something like that. I wrote a note addressed “To God” and threw it out of the window although I don’t think I was complaining about my parents but still I wrote a note and threw it out of the window.

The point is children do these things. They write stuff and the certainly do not understand discipline. Discipline = Hatred for them but as we know now, this is not true. I agree that some parents are extreme but in the case of me and some of my friends, we are closer now to the parent that disciplined us not the one that let us have our way all the time.

I don’t know the extent to which these parents beat their children but “Foolishness is bound up in the heart of a child; The rod of discipline will remove it far from him”. There must have been a reason for the wisest man to walk the earth to say this. Don’t you think so?

The only reason I’m on the fence on this one is cos I don’t know the extent of the “abuse”. Let’s not forget the Indians that killed their daughter in this same England cos she was “disgracing them”.

That would be all.

• nike August 15, 2012 at 10:54 am

well said… spot on!

• Shubrah Madhavi August 15, 2012 at 4:13 pm

@ Temiyemi: to your last sentence…..Pakistanis you mean? NOT Indians! Please get your facts right

• Temiyemi August 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Please who is fighting with Shubrah?

• naomi August 15, 2012 at 2:42 am

too bad, the children were probably beaten the way nigerian children get beaten, sad the parents got caught.

• dessy August 15, 2012 at 9:15 am

wtf!!!! “sad the parents got caught” cnt believe some ppl still think like fools

• Nina August 15, 2012 at 2:45 am

I believe a child can’t & wld not lie against her mum, dey deserve d sentence shikenan

• A Joe August 15, 2012 at 3:07 am

Ok I see y u removed d 1st story.u were trying to say nigerians beat their children everyday &dont go 2 jail 4 it.2 sad they failed to do family planning and are carrying out the frustration on the little children.

• TAYGYAL August 15, 2012 at 3:09 am

Only God knows what truly happened. I hope the kids are able to find a good and loving home.

• Juwon August 15, 2012 at 3:45 am

I don’t get it… How can one even assume they were wrongly accused? Are you trying to say the kids are lying against their parents? Ofcourse not! If these horrendous and inhumane things weren’t done to them, they wouldn’t say what they said. Understand this, child abuse exist and is very rampant among African parents, some use it as an excuse of discipline while others intentionally due to frustration and plain wickedness. I am in support of their arrest and deportation, mothering and motherhood should not necessarily come from the biological mother, some foster mothers do a far better job sometimes. I am very certain that the UK police and child support services would see to the children being very happy and treated better because they know how badly these kids have been treated.

• Concerned Native August 15, 2012 at 4:52 am

You know what i wished they got more years. I remember one of my cousins who came to live with my aunt and uncle in the usa, and my aunt is one of those christians who believe that they are -spiritualist – intouch with the holy spirit, and God forgive my aunt but she used to beat my little cousin they adopted from the village every other day, even when she didnt do anything. Like once the girl was vacuming and forgot she left the rice on the fire and it burnt just a little, and when my aunt smelled it she called the girls attention and when the girl came she slapped her, then if that wasnt enough threw the rice and pot and the girl and thank God she dodged it, but my aunt ended up forcing her little 12 year old self to eat 4 cups of rice that had fallen on the floor the whole night, and my aunt made my her two kids keep an eye on her, just in case she didnt finish it. I begged my aunt to stop, and forgive and all my aunt told me was that the holy spirit told her that the little girl had bewitched me to beg on her behalf. I was livid and i just decided to leave the house for the night and went to my other uncle’s place. I came back to the house the next day and she stripped the girl naked before my other cousins and i, and the little girl was menstruating and it was the most shameful disgraceful thing i have ever seen in my life, as she tried to cover her developing from our eyes, as she tried to cover up my aunt slapped her and when she tried to run her cousins( my aunty’s kids) blocked her way laughing, my aunt then kicked her repeatedly while pouring olive oil on her and speaking some rubbish she called speaking in tongues, but with all that everyone knew how she treated the girl and how she taught her children to threat her, but unfortunately abroad everyone keep to themselves when it comes to such matters, perchance they might hurt their friendship with each other or get involved with the police. African parents hate police involvements. After that visit I never came back to their house, especially after that horrible summer. My aunt gave the excuse when i told my mom and my mom called and asked her why she treated the girl that way and she said that she did it because the girl wore black twice in a week and according to her the holy spirit was telling her the girl was bringing evil spirit in her house everytime she wore black. I also remember how the girl had broken bones on her body from my aunt kicking and once threw her down the stairs and everyone in the family knew what my aunt was doing to that girl and everyone closed their mouth. I almost called the cops on my aunt once, but the girl begged me not to or they would send her back to nigeria, that she came to america to help her family and that if the beating is the burden she has to bear then be it.. I was so amazed by her bravery but no child at that age should be treated or beaten like animals. I remember at times I used to think about it and just cry because i know that this type of life was not what she thought coming to America would be like. I now work for DCFS, which is department of children services as a Lawyer and believe me after what i saw at my uncle’s house that summer any african parent that their children bring fourth complain about, i will thoroughly prosecute them to the fullest of the law. As consequence to the whole ordeal, i heard from rumors that the girl after third year of college after my aunt tried to pour hot oil on her decided to cut of all connections with that family, to the extent that she changed her name, number and i hear she is doing well on her own. But I really think that abuse truly destroyed that girl beyond anything. But Abuse like this that African parents, especially those that believe they are in tune with the holy spirit need to stop, and i think the only thing that can happen is for them to taste jail time. So i do not feel sorry for them, because i bet that child will end up walking away from them when they grow up without turning back.

• klaus August 15, 2012 at 9:27 am

Jail them any body who beat children being their own or not,particularly with hot oil,food or iron, pls put them 10 yrs in jail after that send them back to nigeria.

• nomad August 15, 2012 at 9:32 am

That story makes my heart bleed. I also briefly worked for a legal non-profit and the number of abused Africans that called daily was heartbreaking. I hope you know about legal recourses for abused immigrants and the visa statuses they can apply for as they WILL not get deported. Anyone in most of the West who knows a “maid” or “cousin” who is being abused like that, please first look for legal non-profits that specialize in cases like that (present in most American states) and THEN call the cops when representation is lined up, as cops are not always conversant with the law and may involve ICE especially if the individual has murky legal status

• fablowil August 15, 2012 at 9:39 am

i weep at this comment…………. that aunt is inhuman

• Festus August 15, 2012 at 10:06 am

I am so moved by your story. In fact, I cant say I hate your aunt. But thanks to God, the lady got help from God. This is a lesson to the ‘spiritually bankrupts’ who think they are spiritual or better still, ‘over-spiritual’. The jail term is in order, if truly the children gave such heart-rendering evidence against their biological parents.

• Audrey August 15, 2012 at 11:46 am

I kept saying eish eish whiles reading.Gosh some people are wicked!

• Ady!!!! August 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Well written dear friend! continue the good work…God Bless you

• Chattyzee August 15, 2012 at 1:20 pm

Wonders shall never end. …. ha!

• Ify August 16, 2012 at 2:55 pm

This is such a sad story and unfortunately it’s not the first I have heard of people maltreating those less fortunate than themselves. Your aunt forgot that God was watching her and will deal with her.

• Trulove January 13, 2013 at 3:01 am

that girls story is very sad; however your have now become blinded about Africans/ African parents. That Aunt was a pure evil woman even if she used God’s Name in vain (it a sin to use Gods Name in vain) The Holy Spirit : what she did was not holy and not of a good or Godly spirit. Many humans have come to know God and follow his direction; Jesus said “they will know you by your actions”, The actions your describe of your aunt are more of the devil’s behavior, and therefore a counterfeit of the real thing. God is love, and the man who lives in love, lives in God and God lives in him: So your aunt was not lead by God and the tongues she was speaking belong to the one who was leading her. The saddest thing is that your whole community of diaspora’s stood aside and watch this poor cousin of your get brutally treated by your aunt; and sorry to say although your heart appears to be in the right place, you too have ended up with the scares of that poor girl and are now on the other end of the ditch. I do not see you as able to deliver judgement fairly because you have been seriously injured and are now just out to revenge on anyone who comes your way as a African parent accused of abusing there child or children. There are many factors to the way people behave; your aunt was from Africa, but her kids were not, yet they participated in the mistreating of that little girl from Nigeria. it sounds like they would end up being worse than there mother. : all this said and done i sympathies with the Musa’s as a family; the children have reported experiencing pain inflicted by there parents and now the parents at experiencing pain themselves because of the situation they find themselves in. It is sad to see a family break up in any way; there could have been other ways of helping the family – maybe this is one way. however i don’t want to judge as they have already been sentenced and the facts will never be crystal clear to us all: worst of all is how the children will end up anyway; as care is not always a happy ending story. I m a Londoner and have seen other issues arise in care homes; usually worse than in the original home, and in most cases they cares fail to take the children altogether in one home; no matter how bad there parents were the children will experience the lose of there parents and if not housed together; the lose of there sibling and maybe there identity as a person altogether. it appears that in todays world we are too punitive and never look at the greater good. Are poor parents not able to learn; well putting them in prison will still cost us tax payers at least 7 years x £40,000.00 x 2 parents in jail = at least £560,000.00 not forgetting Child care cost for 6 children. I’m sure we are talking millions; couldn’t this money have work in another way that was more restoring than adding onto the damage that we are already hearing off. We as a people need to change how we think about things; we are still paying more by a culture of hate; I don’t like what the Musa children reported; it wasn’t nice and i feel for them; but i am sure that in this world of geniuses a way to rebuild can be found, rather than just rushing other peoples weakness. The fact that problems were identified means that they could have been resolved in a manner that everyone is rebuilt. I hope and pray that this separation will not destroy the kids or the parents; God will judge us all.

• Rosellar August 15, 2012 at 5:45 am

Honestly, as a child, I wrote horrible things about my mother as well because she did not ‘spare the rod and spoil the child’. I started keeping diaries from primary school and I recall the first day my mum read my diary very vividly. She wept! I wrote about her being extremely wicked, a witch, I prayed to die and even insinuated that she wasn’t my real mother! And yes, she used to beat me and she gave me scars as well; however, I now understand that was ‘her own way’ of scolding and teaching me life’s lessons. And today, I think overall, she has been an amazing mother to her 5children but I won’t adopt her style of parenting.

As an adult, I personally do not believe in spanking. I have Nigerian friends who were never spanked by their parents and they are not ‘spoilt and/or unsuccessful’. In my own opinion, I think Africans need to adopt the no-spanking mode of parenting.

As a child, I didn’t want to be beaten! I didn’t like being beaten! And I still don’t understand how some people that grew up feeling same would still beat their kids. We really need to change.

I don’t think these couple hate their kids, but they need to be counseled on parenting without spanking and observed closely.

• kiki August 15, 2012 at 9:02 am

That is exactly how my mom brought me up and i didnt help matters because i was a very stubborn child, but beingt older now i know she was only trying to bring me up right, and i love her dearly. I would try not to spank my kids but if they truly deserve it i’ll will spank them with love, not beat them as if they are theives.

• sade August 19, 2012 at 3:08 am

I totally agree i
      I think most people adding comments on this page were either born abroad or have been living there for a while. If you have lived in nigeria all your life, you find this story very family, not at all suprising … possibily similar to your own story. some people will find themselves not understanding what is wrong with spanking a child and leaving marks.. that is the way may people were raised. Our culture looks at spanking a neccessary part of raising achild. so when ur are judging these parents remember that they were raised in an eviroment that thinks you are bad parents if you don’t spank ur children occasionally. that is their school of thought. that said , if you look at it from the perspective of those in the uk this is really messed up but they should have considerred the cultural background of the parent.. their braind are wired that way.. for instance the whole world thinks its crazy for women in saudi not be allowed to drive but this is their way of life… do they need to change probably but is it totally a saudi man fault if he comes to america and still does not allow his wife to drive.. his brain is wired that way.. its wrong but it unrealistic for us to expect people to change over nite

• mama August 15, 2012 at 6:40 am

women lie
    men lie
    children dont lie,.,.,.thats all i got!

• Amazeballs! August 15, 2012 at 9:29 am

who told you children dont lie??!!! not saying these ones are lying oh, but children lie, well!!

• Snoglydox April 19, 2014 at 3:15 pm

Really?

Your kids got you by the strings!

• Nale August 15, 2012 at 7:18 am

To concerned native.what efforts did u make to safe d village girl from ur aunty?cos i guess from ur comments ur comments dat u were already a young adult then.

• Scarlet August 15, 2012 at 8:22 am

You didn’t read where she said she almost called the police but the girl begged her not to? You didn’t also read where she said she reported to her parents who confronted her aunt? Really?

• ...just saying August 15, 2012 at 9:38 am

When you learn to read, I’m sure you’ll find out as she painstakingly explained that. SMH!!

• lolypop August 15, 2012 at 7:42 am

Living in the uk or abroad shouldn’t be a do or die affair,a lot of africans in diaspora are just dere living an irrelevant life,addign no value to either the society or to themselves yet they refuse to come bck home due to shame. The musas were jst carrying out their frustration on their kids! Too bad,but dat serves them right.

• klaus August 15, 2012 at 9:17 am

Living in UK or abroad,is better than Nigeria, they give u free houseing,free health care,free education,money to buy food, save, clean and u have 24 o -7 light.so tell me what is better than nigeria, if u dont work u cant buy a house, hoilday or build in nigeria, so musa or any body have to work and save money to build. belive u me, even u dont work over there in uk or abroad is better than nigeria.

• Ify August 16, 2012 at 3:05 pm

Klaus your perception of the UK being a free for all society is so pathetic. Only a lazy person will welcome and embrace fully the benefits designed to help those that can’t help themselves. The system was not introduced as a safety net for such like yourselves rather, to help those who truly cannot help themselves. For example the disabled. It’s because of your kind of attitude that people like me (hard working individuals) get a massive tax bill after slaving at work each month!

• kay August 15, 2012 at 8:00 am

i really am not in support of the so called ‘spare the rod and spoil the child’ business. using force on a child or any one else cnt be the only way to correct someone. Since when do we have to be treated like animals to listen. i really want to knw who started the “beat ur child’ crusade because in my opinion beating makes the kid stubborn and hardened. Violence has never bin the way and it neva will.

• Theodora August 15, 2012 at 8:32 am

Any parents who beats thier children up to the extent of giving them scars deserve to be jailed……end of story

• ester August 15, 2012 at 9:10 am
  • klaus August 15, 2012 at 9:13 am

hose people on side of the parents beat their children too.

• lilz August 15, 2012 at 9:32 am

i really wish nigeria could be like this..i see mothers putting their disabled children on the road begging..able mothers who can trade and nobody is doin anything about it..the other day a report came abt how a woman beat up her step son to death…this is really bad something has to be done about child care in Nigeria

• lam August 15, 2012 at 9:45 am

dis is a act of inhuman how can you beat ur kids like goats….i was brought up by a strick mum bt she ne va put a finger on me or my siblings n she neva starved us…does kids dont deserve does parents lots of pple are looking for kids n dis animals as parents beat their kids anyhow…..the uk as the right to take the kids from them just like america the kids are govt kids unlike nigeria here where they dont care………..

• bbb August 15, 2012 at 9:59 am

this is really sad.. i do not support parent beating thier kids..in the uk or in Africa.. i feel bad for the mother and the kids also…

• Princess of Zion August 15, 2012 at 9:59 am

Spare the rod and spoil the child but don’t abuse the child for no reason! Some of those acts ascribed are simply inhumane! It must have been so bad for the 9year old to throw such a note out and even after months, the pictures the 7year old drew…extremely sad!

Discipline your children, yes but within reason!

It’s the Celebration of Marriage Week- Appreciate your spouse today

• florence August 15, 2012 at 10:00 am

Dose wicked parents deserve 2 die,toturing innocent children…20 yrs in jail is ok 4 dem…wicked souls

• Princess of Zion August 15, 2012 at 10:07 am

Wow! Stories like this are totally disheartening! An innocent 12 year old child! That is just unbelievable! I really pray that she is over the incident, forgives them and moves on with her life. Very sad

• MissT August 15, 2012 at 10:21 am

I grew up with a mum that beat me and my siblings too, but we NEVER had any scars. I mean NEVER. My dad was against that method of raising children, and he never lifted a finger to us, but I dont blame my mum, because that was the only method she knew how, and it has ben passed on from generation to generation. I dont know about my other siblings o, but I have sworn NEVER to beat my child, and I mean never. A lot of African mothers, havent bothered to try another method. At least make an effort to try it. Physical correction to a child is barbaric and archaic. Me o, I know o, I will never hit my child, and I will not tolerate it, if my husband tries it. Parenting is one of the things i discuss with guys when it is starting to get serious, and I broach the matter of hitting a child. It is a deal breaker for me o, because I cannot sit back and watch my husband beat our child. If we cant come to an agreement on that matter, I’m sorry, relationship over. Would you hit an adult, when you are trying to correct them, so why would you hit a defenseless child. A tiny human being, less than half your size. Its inhuman.

• Me August 15, 2012 at 3:44 pm

• gid August 15, 2012 at 10:33 am

I hope dia time in cell will teach’em some moral lessons about proper child upbringing….

• ladyt August 15, 2012 at 10:35 am

While this story is already frustrating, some of the comments here are even worse. No one is saying that the parents should not discipline their children. However, recognize that there is a very fine line between discipline and abuse and these parents crossed it- many times over. Beating your child to the point that you leave visible scars that last for days and weeks is ABUSE! My own parents beat us (not often) and when they did I do not recall any of my siblings having scars. Purposely starving children, leaving young children at home for days – this is not Nigeria where there is sense of community at least. Leaving small kids at home in the UK with all the pedophiles running around. Chei. That is abuse. These parents neglected and abused (not disciplined) their children. Whether it was to get the devil out of them (typical bull—-) or not, they are abusers. I find it sickening that people are co-signing these people. You discipline your child to the point of starvation. Pathetic. Dangling your child by the feet over a stairwell?? Did you co-signers read that??? Can an adult even stomach that? Is that not abuse. Just the thought of a small child being dangled by their feet over a stairwell sends shudders down my spine. How can people say these people were not abusing their children. Abeg, they should have given them a greater sentence. Nonsense.

• Nosa August 15, 2012 at 11:04 am

As a board member of a domestic abuse charity here in the UK, I see cases like this come to my organisation every now and then. My biggest worry has always been the fact that more than 80 per cent of the cases are cases involving blacks or non whites. There is some degree of education required. In most of the cases, the abusers are not fully aware of the damage they are causing the other and any attempt to help them will be met with very reclusive and defensive tactics. Any form of violence, whether against a child or an adult is wrong. The authorities will need to come real hard on perpetrators for the message to be sent that it is an unaccepted form of behaviour is every decent society. As a child, growing up in Nigeria, we were often beaten by parents, uncles, aunts, sometimes by mere strangers, simply because they were adults and adults do no wrong. Most children grow up not taking it against their parents but the scar (mostly the unseen ones) can stay with victims for the whole life’s time.

• klaw August 15, 2012 at 11:07 am

the best way to correct children is by 1.no parties.2.no treats .3.no new stuff. verbal correction or written punishment down or writting “ild never do stuff a milion times.”5.no visits from friend for a while..beating isnt good as after a while they get used to it anyways..and then what next???this is a food for thought for most diaspora parents/guardians…bcuz i no say e go take 4EVER B4 DIS KIN INITIATIVE BCOMES LAW FOR 9JA.

• kenny August 15, 2012 at 11:11 am

we aint saying kids shouldnt be scolded but really while trying to punish the child and something else happens , what will you do? i remembered visiting my Godparents and their neigbour’s house help which was a girl of 7 was something else. i had to inquire what happened and like i was told, she mistakenly lost a thousand naira that she was asked to keep and guess the punishment, she was tied to a stick, fresh pepper was grinded and her hands, leg and mouth were all covered. the pepper was spread all over her body and even inside her vaigna. for two whole days she couldnt work, talk or even move and her eyes were covered, now the only question i asked was if she was their child, would they have melted that kind of punishment on her? there are better ways to punish a child if you really want to not beating the hell out of them. i believe those kids aint lying and besides no human is entitled to that kind of horrific suffering. i grew up with my mom and even though she was very strict cos she was a senior naval officer i never for once tasted her rod on me. abeg we should leave the issue of it been abroad in nja here our parents are extremely strict and would want to punish you the best way they can just to pass their message across. Isnt there a better sentence than dis? smh…………………….

• Bisi August 19, 2012 at 3:03 am

Some people are just naturally wicked. What you can’t do to your child, don’t do to someone else’s.

• Nosa August 15, 2012 at 11:19 am

Just as a heads-up in response to what “Concerned Native” wrote above, you can be prosecuted as an adult if you witness incident of domestic violence and you fail to report to the authorities. You are as culpable as the abusers themselves.

• Gbeborun August 15, 2012 at 11:29 am

First of all having 5 kids on little or no income is a bit cruel, this may sound weird but when ppl breed that much they don’t mind getting rid of some, as a parent it’s very hard but when ur child does something bad and u are reacting u have to separate whether u are beating the child 4 what they did or whether it’s your own anger and the stress of your miserable life that you are taking out on ur child, get help, there’s no excuse to hit your child with a broom or wires,when u do that you are indirectly telling them that violence is ok.

• African August 15, 2012 at 11:32 am

I have to say I agree with the Bible about disciplinig your child but it has to be within reason. Once you start disciplinig in anger, instead of love, you are in trouble. Also if you are beating up a child (and they are just that, a child, precious in the sight of God) till you leave scars, that is abuse and it shows that your method of discipline is ineffective. This is of course for those that are sane. The story narrated by a previous poster where, a child was thrown down the stairs\stripped shows that the adult involved has crossed the boundaries of sanity. If God corrects us in love, how can will ascribe correcting a child in anger as God-directed? Mbanu o. That’s a lie.

I just wish Nigerian churches in UK, actually and in Nigeria, would speak more about this issue. They would save these horrific treatments being meted out on kids. Also in the church we need to start to have parenting classes to prevent this kind of thing. There are too many frustrated adults out there. It’s unsafe.

• NwanyiEze August 15, 2012 at 11:49 am

to the Nigerian/African parents in Diaspora pls when in Rome behave like the Romans. We have had worse scenarios in Nigeria that people see as normal and even joke about. I am not saying it is right to be abusive but parents all over the world need to realize where the thin line between being abusive and dicipling your child, (the latter of which is important) is and try not to cross it

• ola August 15, 2012 at 11:51 am

whoo ouinbo people with law

• Nosa August 15, 2012 at 11:55 am

If you live in the UK and you need some help, call this 24/7 helpline: 08450 177668

• colourfulbutterfly August 15, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Hmmm!
    My mum almost made me blind by beating me with a heavy broom
    thats not all, my father didn’t help matters!
    All in all, i don’t like my parents! i actually dislike them!
    They know, so they leave me alone even though they are trying to make amends!
    Useless African parents!
    They should be killed!

• Sola August 15, 2012 at 9:54 pm

I can relate. I kinda feel that way about my mum. Although, now that i am grown and have moved out of the house, she’s trying to make amends. But the emotional scar is still there :-(. It’s funny how a lot of girls say THEY ARE CLOSE TO THEIR MOM. Unfortunately, i don’t fell the same way. But we talk sha but i’m forcing it. My dad has NEVER raised a finger on me but i sometimes feel she poisons his mind occassionally.

• Chattyzee August 15, 2012 at 1:22 pm

na wa ooo Everyone has said it all.

• well done BN August 15, 2012 at 1:51 pm

@concern Native,dat was too long a write up,learn to summariz pls,this is not an article for Exam

• SongSeungHoon August 15, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Sometimes you have to elaborate that much to hit all the necessary points, Concerned Native did exactly that. There are other people here that would read it so give it a break.

• Bisi August 19, 2012 at 3:16 am

Abeg tell am. The way he/she wrote this irrelevent sentence is the same way others are writing useful paragraphs. To each his own. The last time I checked, there was no “comments prefect” in Bellanaija.

• Amiphat August 15, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Growing up, my Mum was awful to my cousin who was living with us (one day, she actually beat her with a fresh cow tail for some infraction – splattering blood all over the kitchen). I have never forgotten the incidence and till date, I do not have a good relationship with my Mum based on this.

Oddly enough, she still finds it “0dd and insulting” that the said cousin does not visit or inquire of her.

I have my own kids now, beating them is far from my mind and in my 37 years, my father only smacked me once for something which I deserved a spanking for. I am believer in the adage ‘spare the rod, spoil the child’ but there is a wide chasm between correcting with love and abuse. There are ways of correcting our children without making them fear us, without starving them and without scarring.

May God give us wisdom to use our brains CORRECTLY.

• joinmecelebrate August 15, 2012 at 2:26 pm

am emotionally abused reading this. .. God will definitely punish satan!

• YummyMummy August 15, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I Lived with my aunty for some years in the UK,,she does not beat,spank or anything but I was emotionally shattered by time I left her and the family.

In asmuch i appreciate her for housing me for those period of time,she believes till today that I need to serve her and make her a small god,even her husband and children which are my cousin thinks so too.

I was molested with words,sometimes she will call me fool,I am always fearfull whenever i am around her,she treated me differently from my cousins..it was just difficult I couldnt please her.

A lot transpired that sometimes I thought to myself why people go to church,listen to sermon and act devilish.There different kind of abuse,physical,emotional,sexual e.t.c.

I was emotionally abused,and it took the grace of God and my husband which was my boyfriend then to back to normal.

Now my aunty and the family wants me to tell them everything that goes on in my family,like they deserve it..I am like really?

I lived with her family a couple of years and I was more or less a slave not even a housegirl…a slave..im never appreciated for what i have done and to top it all herself and her husband reports me to their children…and they gang up against me too…it was bad.

They reported me to my parent but my parent knows the kind of people they are…she shouts at me on the bus..yes in the UK…I prayed to God to deliver me and He did..and moved out eventually…it was brutal and feel a part of me has not healed properly…Mind you I am better off her children today,NOT boasting at all but i believe they are reaping what they have sowed,they are so frustated at their life now….I have to God that none of my children will leave it a family because no way their is meant to be one form of abuse or the other.

• YummyMummy August 15, 2012 at 3:33 pm

I have vowed to God* live with*

• Me August 15, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Lol. Why so many half-baked arguments? Don’t abuse your children BUT you should definitely discipline them. There are “moments” in a child’s life that he/she must be spanked. I personally hate extremities. Never spanking your children is an extreme, spanking your children for every little thing is another extreme. Life is all about balance. Children need both freedom and RULES(and punishment if need be). Discipline is a debt your owe your children, it’s your duty to instill in them the desire to be a good (and considerate) person and citizen. Your child(ren) is your future. If you don’t discipline your children you are playing with your (and your child’s) future. This is why Asians are catching up and will eventually dominate the western culture because they actually give a damn about their future. But some of us are to busy trying to be “civilized” without even understanding the meaning of being civilized. Civilized is not being “western” but rather it is living up to your duties and responsibilities. Please post this instead, not trying to reply MissT

• Pendo August 15, 2012 at 4:14 pm

wow i heard about this case when it first came out my heart goes out to these children and i pray they find good homes with people that love and care for them. I knew a girl who was being abused by her aunty through my friend she had also been “adopted” from some village back home to come and help said aunty with childcare and go to school. My friend and i tried to help by taking her to the police but she refused since her aunt had taken away her passport so she didn’t know what her status was and was afraid of being sent back. Unfortunately my friend and i were quite young then and didn’t know much about the law so when she refused to talk to the police we just let it go. All the adults from their community that my friend approached to help did not want to get involved calling it a family affair.

• Sweets August 15, 2012 at 4:18 pm

I dont agree with beating a child at all. Its barbaric, and it shows lack of discipline and self control. If you cannot look within yourself and find other ways to reprimand a child, and you go the easy way of physical violence, you are bully, long and short. Go check the meaning of the word bully. A defenceless child, who can’t fight back. Will you hit an adult to reprimand him/her. Why beat a child, whom you are supposed to love and protect. Its BS, in my opinion. 7 years is not long enough. Most African parents are bullies. End of….. They were beaten as children, and can’t wait to mete out the same punishment to their children. If they don’t beat you silly as a child, as an adult, they will continue bullying you, by wanting to control your life. All in the name of they know best. I’ve seen a lot of physical and emotional trauma my friends and cousins have gone through from the hands of their parents and I’m glad my parents never hit me, and I’m a fully functioning, independent, very well educated, well balanced and responsible adult. So they obviously tried a different angle that worked.

• tk August 15, 2012 at 5:39 pm

in as much as i’m not in support of this, what the parents did was wrong, but has anyone thought of who will take care of these kids? foster home is always hard on these kids, especially when the foster parents just think about the money they get and act like they are helping the kids. Some kids even go through worse things in foster homes. I just pray that these kids are taken care of properly.

• marvel August 15, 2012 at 5:54 pm

These Mrs Musa types eh.. They aren’t particularly maternal but keep having babies year after year. I don’t get it. Why not attend a parenting course before anger management? It doesn’t come naturally to every woman.

• koko August 15, 2012 at 7:27 pm

They are being lock up because child abuse is a serious crime not because they are Nigerian. they are a few abusers that will read this and exclude themselves from the list of abusers….very common and they should all be persecuted. the powerful taking advantage of the powerless. You will all get their comeuppance

• bluebeth August 15, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Many abusers are victims of abuse themselves and don’t know any other way of parenting.
    There are basically four types of child abuse and they ALL have psychological effect on a child.
    1) PHYSICAL ABUSE: The most visible type and non accidental injury to a child (eg) hitting, burning, drowning.
    2) NEGLECT: Failure to meet a child’s basic needs (eg) not providing adequate food, clothing, medical attention or shelter.
    3) EMOTIONAL: Damaging a child’ confidence and self esteem (eg) calling names and making negative comparisons to others. Telling a child s/he is ‘worthless’ or a ‘mistake’.
    4) SEXUAL: Enticing or threatening a child to take part in sexual activities (eg) rape.
    Sexual abuse doesn’t always involve body contact, a exposing a child to sexual situations and materials also. (eg) blue films.

In the story above, the parents are guilty of three types of abuse.
    PHYSICAL (beating with broom)
    NEGLECT (leaving them home alone with no food)
    EMOTIONAL (calling them, possessed by evil spirits)
    They deserve more than 7 YEARS!!!

If as a parent you constantly belittle, shaming and humiliating your child (emotional abuse). You are as guilty!

Pls, report abuse!…
    1) Report as anonymous if your reasons are:
    -what if I break up someone’s home.
    -they will know, it was me who called.
    2) Help break the cycle of child abuse.
    3) Stand up for a child in need.

• jade August 15, 2012 at 9:50 pm

well deserved, its plain and simple -if u want to beat ur children, go back to nigeria and do that, but if ur in d uk respect their rules cos they hv a point. Discipline d kids but also extra spoil them not starve them! rubbish .

• NNENNE August 16, 2012 at 1:52 am

I was raised by a wonderful, selfless mother, who also hit me when I did wrong.
    I thought she hated me then. Now I appreciate her more.
    If I have to hit a child to correct him/her I would as long as I explain to them why I did so and I do not injure the child.
    T he western world has done so many wonderful things but when it comes to raising kids, they failed.

• Paul Randle-Jolliffe August 16, 2012 at 6:22 am

I was McKenzie friend for the Musa’s and here are some summary observations of mine.

1. I warned the Musa’s that they were being set up as the classic, African evil spirit exercisors, this was incidentally never in the list of allegations, so how it appeared in the case is most odd. They are indeed properly ordained ministers in the Assemblies of God and this sort of thing was not what they did.
    2. They refused categorically to lie about a minor thing when it would have helped them to do so.
    3. Gloria is one of the most natural and attentive mothers I have EVER met.
    4. The main social worker lied on the stand at the original finding of fact hearing, there were three witnesses to the lies.
    5. I was thrown out of court for raising this strongly and the judge refused to deal with it
    6. A police officer local to the PFRD took a report from me and went to the court to enquire
    7. The court manager refused to cooperate
    8. The Sgt at the station then squashed the matter
    9. The Judge DJ Brasse commented on and approved the court managers decision
    10. I made complaint to the IPPC about the polices in action
    11. The IPCC referred the matter to the Met Professional Standards
    12. I never heard anything again
    13. I made formal report to the LSCB
    14. The LSCB refused categorically in their duty to look at any evidence
    15. When challenged on this by me they said they would deny it
    16. The circumstances surrounding the supposed letter of the child and the circumstances described in the letter are impossible.
    17. The musa’s never owned a wooden handled broom
    18. The allegation to do with stairwell was previously a balcony, but as they never had a balcony it had to be altered
    19. The supposed letter which Haringey say they destroyed, was never forensically examined, it was was so obviously not written by the same hand that wrote the child’s school work, i have copies
    20. Haringey refused consular access to the children, and LJ Wall refused to order what is a requirement at law in that regard
    21. The person who “found” the letter could not be traced when ordered to attend court
    22. Michele Collins was recorded as saying, “not those f******g children again!”
    23. The children were held unlawfully for many months with several judges issuing unlawful order
    24. At application for habeas corpus before Justice Hogg, the judge ordered the PFRD to hold a hearing, it never did.
    25. The expert that gave evidence stated that the dose of opiates would have killed the child in 30 minutes, but the sample was taken 1 hour after the parents had taken the child to hospital
    26. It is on record that one consultant criticised a doctor for over medicating the child during that time
    27. At the trial all the children gave evidence against their parents
    28. In the original video interviews of all the children the boy stated categorically no one in our family hits anyone
    29. The older girl is recorded as stating social workers had coerced her to lie
    30. When it was discovered that Gloria was recording she was threatened and assaulated
    31. I was introduced to a child of ten and his family who had previously been in care, he stated social workers from haringey had tried to coerce him to lie
    32. I have met other families in haringey who are petrified of haringey council
    33. Friends and supporters of the musa”s had their children taken
    34. These were very well dressed and smartly turned out children

I fail to see any resemblence of evidence for the picture painted, so moraly coragious are the musa’s that unlike other they could never as ministers of truth back down, haringey could not afford that, hence a really big fitup.

There is more but that’s enough for the moment

The Musa’s will eventually expose haringey children’s social services for what it is a place of evil. Even local councellors know things are wrong and the previous prospective tory mp believed it should be put into administration.

I have uncontravertable “evidence” on all social services in england and wales, thanks to the help of the musa’s and others and it will rock the whole secret abusive uncountable system to it’s core including top of the list haringey.

• Ify August 16, 2012 at 3:27 pm

STORY!

• gbeborun August 19, 2012 at 12:41 am

Well written, and fair play to you for speaking up for your friends, but you never mentioned the part about their mother cheating benefit system,however you try to paint it, if they didn’t HIT their child in the first place they won’t be used as scapegoats, my parents disciplined me but NEVER with violence my mum just gave us the look and that moment you had to be of your best behaviour and my dad’s yelling sometimes was enough to put you in your place, VIOLENCE is never never the answer, we could arguee about that all day long for centuries

• Aaron L April 18, 2014 at 4:29 pm

Thank you for pointing out those issues in a professional manner. Harringay social services stopped contact between the older children and youngest 2. They arranged for a farewell party which was against a previous court order. On the 16th March 2014 Justice Charles Holman was furious that this had happened and wanted to know whom at Haringay had made this decision. No paperwork was available and he considered that Haringay had breached a court order and thought about bringing charges. One person angered him the most and it is a Margarett Straight who’s responsibility was to be the safe guard of the children, but instead has worked for the Haringay’s SS best interest. The eldest child was sexually molested whilst in foster home by the 18 year old child of the foster parents.
      It is a shame that the majority of people here have commented without knowledge of the actual case and facts instead of the media’s distortion at the beheast of the social services.

When the social services where you live come for your own children then you will know how corrupt they truly are and are desperate to avoid bad reporting.

The whole case has been a child grab from start to finish. The neighbour who supposedly found the letter is a heroine addict receiving treatment, her boyfriend was on the jury along with a social worker from Barnet social services. That letter which the school stated was not the handwritting of the child has been lost. The jury was deliberately hand picked to get a conviction. Michelle Collin’s own sister is also a social worker. How a millionaire celebrity would take the children to her lavish home and say that there was no room in the car for the mother to attend is strange. When the children arrived Michelle Collins said to them which room would you like to have. Haringay are paying “Crisis” actors to play a role in the confiscation of children, and Michelle Collins reward was to be the postergirl of Barnardo’s children’s charity. It makes me sick to see how low Haringay have stooped to ensure that the children bring in £16,000 per week to the council.

• ajorgbor benard August 16, 2012 at 8:56 am

You see the way we perceive punishment in africa is outrageous ,may be the parents of the parents of the children used to be them ,way back in nigeria.

• Ginika August 16, 2012 at 10:46 am

There is something up with this particular case. Something is a bit side ways.

• matthias sunday August 16, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Ginka, the story look like the parent are bad, but that is not true, it is all lies. I know the couple and they are decent parents. In fact, most parents used to ask bishop Gloria to give them tips on how to care for their own children

• Ngozi August 16, 2012 at 11:34 am

Its so annoying to see parents who have kids and cannot take care of them…. For me, I do not think an 11 yr old child or 7yr old would want to lie against their parents so I can say on the side of the kids.
    I think its ok for the kids to be withdrawn from the parents while investigations are been made. If those allegations against the parents esp the mum are really true, then they deserve to serve another sentence when they return to Nigeria.

• matthias sunday August 16, 2012 at 4:40 pm

THE MANY LIES OF Michele Collins PART I
    Michele Collins made herself a laughing stock as an object of shame and ridicule in her twisted write up of June 8, 2012 on the pages of The People. It is just a matter of time, soon Michele Collins will found out that it was rather Michele Collins who was rather convicted by the court of heaven for leading the path of shame by telling naked lies against innocent missionary couple who only came to the Britain to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ. This base, gutless, spineless, weak, pusillanimous old woman told lies under oath at the “harrowing trial” of these decent, God fearing and loving parents at the Wood Green Crown Court.
    The People bought the lies from this evil and satanic unmarried woman with wayward daughter.
    Here are some of the base language that Michele Collins used to describe the decent parents of these cute and well bred children she wanted to steal from the beautiful couple.
    “Twisted parents”, “sick couple”, “savage couple” “demon dad” “vicious couple”, “crazed pair” “lying parent”, “callous couple” “The devious mother”, “sick abusers”. It takes a tortured and guilty mind to write those things about this godly, God fearing parents who are well known to me. Helping a less fortunate family does not required that you try using clandestine, tricks to steal their cute, well behaved and well groomed children.
    I know this couple will be causing that day they met this wicked and evil woman who has unsuccessfully destroyed an ones united, loving family. Michele Collins is going through excruciating pains of loneliness and emptiness and she reasoned that scattering a good loving family is what she need to assuage her promiscuity and wayward life and that of her wild daughter. She has failed woefully and The People who published this slanted write up is equally guilty of irresponsible journalism.
    The truth and fact is that these innocent couple never abused their children. It was an orchestrated conspiracy masterminded by Michele Collins and very soon all the packs of lies told by Michele Collins and her conspiracy will be exposed and she will find her way into the hottest part of prison where she will spend the rest of her life.
    Matthias Sunday
    London, August 14 2012

• matthias sunday August 16, 2012 at 4:42 pm

i know the Musas. I have been to their house and we have stayed together for a long time. They never abused any of their children. The picture been painted by haringey are all lies and lies. They are dedicated parent who love and care for their children. The Musas dont deserve to be in prison. It was lies that put them there, truth will bring them out nor matter how long

• matthias sunday August 16, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Actually the first time Michele Colling fell in love with the children and she want to take them away. She actually deceived Gloria and took them to her house showing them “their” rooms. I actually warned the couple about the evil Michele is doing. You know this is a lonely woman who need decent people to be with. She is one now spreading all the news for publication that she has jailed the innocent missionaries

• Bisi August 19, 2012 at 2:39 am

God forbid bad thing. This is no fairy tale, people might think that this is unreal, but I’m sure that even worse happens everywhere too.

• Bisi August 19, 2012 at 3:09 am

Agree with your comment, but really wanted to tell you that I like your name on this forum :)

• Daniel December 3, 2012 at 4:00 pm

I don’t understand why so many commenters are taking these animals’ side. They brutally abused the children they were supposed to care for. There was an investigation and a trial and they were found guilty. They are not being scapegoated and it has nothing to do with them being Nigerian. This is about the poor children. As a Nigerian, I know this kind of crap happens way too often.

• Rena January 3, 2013 at 12:18 am

F- Nigerians! Dirty, evil, abusive creatures who don’t know the difference between discipline and abuse. I came from a very abusive Nigerian household and have been beaten near death myself by a violent, psychotic African parent, until I wad saved by the police. And this was in the States! Did you know that level of discipline is considered normal in typical Nigerian culture?. To think that there are still
    people support these 2 monsters! F- Nigeria, I will NEVER be proud of such a disgusting heritage!