Posted on Wednesday, November 14th, 2012 at 8:18 AM

By Adeola Adeyemo

TV personality, Yvonne “Vixen” Ekwere of Silverbird’s E-Weekly channels Afrobeat King Fela Anikulapo Kuti‘s Fire Dancers” in this new photoshoot.

The shoot which was shot by Obi Somto and styled using pieces from Zebra Living, depicts Yvonne as a Fire Dancer named “Rashida“.

Yvonne has lots of exciting projects lined up for 2013. Her projects along with exclusive photos will be unveiled on her soon-to-be launched official website.

Check on it.

Credits
Photography
: Obi Somto
Styling: Zebra

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , ,

• Custom Search
  • 65 Comments on “Inspired by the Afrobeat King, FELA’s Fire Dancers, Yvonne “Vixen” Ekwere is “Rashida”! | Check Out the Creative Photos by Obi Somto”

Comments
    • a hater! November 14, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Yvonne I don’t like u cos u are very annoying.
      But ds pics I commot 4who came up wit d idea yes bcs I no its not u…lol
      Ds Isi-owu hair style must come back o, its so Hip n very Bohemian cos was d gud 2go hair style in d 60s n 70s well nowadays we jus dey 2 run after oyibo tins like doz human hair wey no dey fit us sef.
      Abeg Ibos abi na Igbos na una job 2promote una indigenous hair oYa ova 2u Tonto Dike, Genevieve, Chidinma, Munachi 2mention few…*still imagining wat Tonto wld luk like*

• Partyrider November 14, 2012 at 10:30 AM

You are rambling

• a hater! November 14, 2012 at 8:39 AM

#i comot cap 4who eva came up wit d idea#

• EkitiPrincess November 14, 2012 at 8:39 AM

She looks regal. I actually quite like the hair. Very nice.

• switlipz November 14, 2012 at 8:40 AM

hmmm, nice! proudly African.

• versence November 14, 2012 at 8:46 AM

A no no for me!

• versence November 14, 2012 at 8:48 AM

i can see potentials tho…….at 3rd glance

• Diva November 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM

Oh My Days! A hater, you just spoke my mind. Sooooo dont like this Yvonne..and to think she calls herself “Vixen”!! Puhleaseeee…..the get-up is nice..she clearly didnt come up with the idea and i think it would have looked killer on someone else… ok bye *drops mic and exits*

• Idak November 14, 2012 at 8:53 AM

That stool………………..

• frivolities November 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM

I think that’s the idea with the stool. Not polished and broken. It kind of makes the African/rural look complete.

• OLAYINKA AWOFODU November 14, 2012 at 8:54 AM

She rocked the “threading” well… i can imagine going to a “ball” or “party” with a well threaded hair. Nice!

• oma November 14, 2012 at 8:56 AM

dis s nice

• eesha November 14, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Finally, this is one hair style that fits her totally. Didn’t think that could happen cos of dem weaves that has been making her face strong.

• Aibee November 14, 2012 at 10:00 AM

Pardon me, but I do believe this is the prettiest I’ve ever seen Yvonne look.

• Jiddah November 14, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I totally agree…..

• Joanna November 14, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Objective achieved! Credible portrayal and great quality photos!

• shaday November 14, 2012 at 10:19 AM

I looovvveee the stool concept. Gosh i miss those days i could thread my hair or just make didi. Pls ladies let’s bring it back*eyelashes*

• Partyrider November 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Nice

• Nomy November 14, 2012 at 10:28 AM

Isi owu!!!! Wow! Yvonne making it must have hurt, i remember my thread hair days, at least one whole night of uncomfortable sleep and a whole day of pain! That said, Nne I maka!

• cassandra onwualu November 14, 2012 at 1:14 PM

actually, hair threading doesnt have to hurt. it all depends on how tight you thread the root of the hair.

• nammy November 14, 2012 at 10:43 AM

heheehe! i really dont like yvonne but dis concept is unique! check out the broken stool pix, primary school thread hairstyle and her glass nails all to maintain “africanness”. yvonne, babe! i no like u, before but for this one, you rock! hehehe!

abeg, make i go make some money and join you to be a fyn gal! join me, peeps!

• Blossom November 14, 2012 at 11:13 AM

But really though, why don’t people like this babe?

• Blossom November 14, 2012 at 11:14 AM

Would have been lovely if there was a shot of her dancing esp with the frills of the skirt flying.

• Mana November 14, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Very artistic I like it!

• Kunmi Omisore November 14, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Gorgeous :)

• chizo November 14, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Yvon -nne we’ve nt met though, bt u must be a hard nut to crack. u really nid 2 adjust ur attitude oh (if i must say). But, these pix are tight. u luk gud.

• purplepearl November 14, 2012 at 12:59 PM

OMG, its been like forever since i last saw threaded hair. Back in the days, i used to rock this hair style, though it was painful. Wont let my child go through such pains except she wants to

• Chizi November 14, 2012 at 1:30 PM

well nice concept, i just wish d Rashida was actually dancing like Fela’s chics, rather than trying to be afro-sexy, trust me d sexy woulda exploded had she been captured dancing!

And yes- Yvone this is d best u’ve ever looked! i suggest u stick wit it..sell those horrendous weaves n pile up on d threads!

• Me2me November 14, 2012 at 1:35 PM

Love the hair. I miss threading and it really grows the hair. Me sef no like yvonne, she too de vex me. She looks like a rude person. Well nice concept

• phonzy November 14, 2012 at 1:56 PM

I must comment on the photographer… Somto so far you rock! Looking up to you boss!!!

• Doll November 14, 2012 at 2:04 PM

I don’t know what it is about this babe, but she is truly inspiring! She’s got such a strong character and I love that she never backs down! This is so creative, love it! Well done vixen

• Yinka November 14, 2012 at 2:06 PM

This is hawwwwwttttt, me likey! No celeb has done something like this befor, this is quite different… I’m sure looking forward to the website! I wonder who she’ll be next.

• Bolubawse November 14, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Gosh, I’ve got such a huge crush on vixen… Is she single?! Geeez look at her legssssss! If all fela girls looked like this, I’d totally get with them. Damn! Well done Mamie, nice one.

• Scarlet Xianne November 14, 2012 at 2:14 PM

BN post my comment na. Ogini?

• Papparatzo November 14, 2012 at 2:15 PM

This is a strong woman! I’ve been watching her closely and I think she destined to do great things, we just haven’t seen her full potential! Such a great tribute to a legend, I’m super impressed . most personalities would honor a foreign icon but this shows that she is strongly connected to her roots, this reflects respect and the value she places on african icons, I certainly didn’t see this coming from her! More power to your elbow dear. We are expecting great things from you.

• Saynotohate November 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Why do people always have to hate? The first comment is so hateful, How is she annoying Biko! Gosh get a life, she has done something outstanding and you HAVE NOT! who are you? Nobody knows you but she? She’s admirable! I don’t know her personally, I’ve seen her do her thing and I’m quite happy for her. If you can’t appreciate anything good then shot your pie hole. Well done vixen, keep doing your thing ! Can’t wait to see more alter egos

• Benita November 14, 2012 at 2:26 PM

LOVELY! Haters should dig a hole, crawl in there and DIE!

• Iphie November 15, 2012 at 7:48 AM

You made my day Benita. Damn, people can so HATE!

• Paulp November 14, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Wow, gorgeous! Never saw her in this light, she’s got such a versatile face! This certainly reflects a beautiful African woman. For those of you who don’t like her, that’s your choice, keep your evil sentiments to yourself! Stop hiding behind your gadgets with your hateful selves and go do something productive with your lives sheesh!

• Prettyd November 14, 2012 at 2:34 PM

Thread! Lol awww she’s so cute! Such an intelligent concept from her, I’m sure Fela is proud of you dear.

• Ritao November 14, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Beautiful black woman! Thank goodness this one isn’t bleaching like the rest lol pls darling, keep that gorgeous chocolate skin glowing, ur so beautiful. Keep it up

• Andrea November 14, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Yvonne Vixen Ekwere! U are so intriguing, we love you!!! Come to Ghana soon, u’ve got fans here!

• Sam November 14, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Y.V.E! Marry me!
      Kisses, your biggest fan.

• VIXENlette November 14, 2012 at 2:47 PM

Team Vixen all the way!!!! Who God don bless eh, no man can curse eh! We love you girl, haters are just normal, they can’t hold you back. You are beautiful!

• Feintoe November 14, 2012 at 3:32 PM

Keep doing your thingy girl! you rock, only your haters sucks. God has got ur back……upward and forward girl! *winks*

• Chattyzee November 14, 2012 at 4:12 PM

I really like the pictures …

• Konnie November 14, 2012 at 4:40 PM

Nice pictures and good luck.

A question though on people that do photo shoots before the launch of a website or blog .
      How does this translate. Maybe I am missing the picture. help me out someone

• Sobo November 14, 2012 at 5:32 PM

I’ve actually met Yvonne and she’s one of the sweetest and believe it or not “shyest” ladies I’ve met so far. Behind that hard “no-nonsense” exterior is a pretty cool chic. So don’t be too quick to judge because nobody is perfect, free the babe. Greater things to come from her!

• Laolu November 14, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Mehnnn vixen is gorgeous tho! Plus she is indeed inspiring, I remember attending a seminar she was a speaker at and one thing she said that I will never forget is ” they will criticize, judge you and misunderstand you but be unapologetically YOU” thanks for those words m’am. I continue to live by them.

• UD November 14, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Inem, My God you are making a lot of AkwaIbomites proud all over the world, I can only image what else you have hidden under your sleeves. May God continue to uplift you dear, this is just the beginning for you. Song idem eyen eka!

• ima November 14, 2012 at 7:06 PM

Im making mine tomao….pickin up d fone and calling mama rashida,who makes thread for pple at the market.

• SISI November 14, 2012 at 7:24 PM

2SIDES to a COIN

• Data Analyst Izzi says.. November 15, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Me I like dis Isi-Owu…..trust me it does grow and groom the hair well, tho painful at times i prefer it to weaves a million time. For those of us who have very thick and strong hair, u sure will understand. All this braiding has cut my once long hair, feel like cutting my hair and threading it for a while. But how will I go to work is the problem , if i start threading the hair…….

• Barbara November 15, 2012 at 8:57 AM

I saw this somewhere else and I must say that I like the whole concept behind the shoot. Obi Somto did a good work with the feel and finish of the pictures too. The only thing that seems a bit off though is the makeup. I know that the depiction would have been awesome without all the spots (I have no idea why whenever you say ‘African’, every makeup artist puts on red, white or black spots on the person’s face, SMH)

Barbara
      http://barbsiesmusings.blogspot.com (Nigeria’s no1 makeup blog)

• Obi Somto December 31, 2012 at 3:41 AM

have you seen the makeup Fela’s dancers wore?

• Doks November 15, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Well Well Well…..Vixen never looked so good!!!
      ME likey…

• Maria November 15, 2012 at 9:55 AM

Vixen u shoulda sucked in that belly

• birdieblue22 November 15, 2012 at 11:22 AM

I Love the first 2 shots makes her look as if she’s really one of Fela’s dancers.

• cathy November 15, 2012 at 3:17 PM

Eyeneka mmi looking wow!

• bruno November 15, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Nice pics

• Jedi November 15, 2012 at 9:03 PM

boredom tins

• Tai-lo November 19, 2012 at 6:24 PM

this was a very interesting shoot, love working with Vixen and Obi Somto. My makeup looked outstanding on her. can’t wait to see the rest.
      And as for the haters, ya’ll have you own opinion, lets see you do something and post and lets see pple tear u down for your hard work.