For many years, traditional medicine practitioners have fought for the formal recognition and acceptance of their products just like western medicine. Their medicines and techniques have been relegated to the background as many people rather opt for western medicine and the study of  its processes.

This might change soon in Nigeria as the Minister of Health, Professor Onyebuchi Chukwu disclosed recently that his ministry was in the process of integrating traditional medicine practice into the medical school curriculum.

He promised a level playing field to all stakeholders in the health sector and hinged the veiled official recognition of herbal medicine on the need for practitioners to go to medical school to equip themselves with the requisite expert knowledge.

He also said their drugs should be registered with the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and packaged for export to earn money for the country.

This news has been received with mixed reactions from Nigerians. While many agree that traditional medicine plays a significant role in the health sector, providing natural remedies for a wide range of illnesses; integrating it into the medical school curriculum they say, shouldn’t be made compulsory. On the other hand, some people laud the plan.

A few weeks ago, a Professor at the University of Benin brewed quite a storm when he announced that he had found the cure to HIV/AIDS in traditional medicine. He later recanted his claim after it was met with widespread criticism over the manner in which he made the announcement and the fact that the necessary tests by approved agencies had not been carried out on the drug.

However, in some instances, traditional medicine has been found to be more effective where western medicine has failed.

What are your views on the plan for the integration of traditional medicine practice into the medical school curriculum? Do you think this would be good for the future of health care in Nigeria?

17 Comments on What Are Your Views on the Plan to Integrate Traditional Medicine Practice into the Nigerian Medical School Curriculum?
  • poshilla! January 22, 2013 at 10:04 am

HMMMM AS IN DIBIA TINS? I COMMENT MA RESERVE!!

• Ngozi January 22, 2013 at 3:47 pm

LOOOOOOOOOOL!!! So Doctors will now be selling love potions?

• Very interested physician January 22, 2013 at 10:29 am

Great idea. The Chinese do it why can’t we

• pade January 22, 2013 at 10:39 am

so our doctors will be babalawos too(laffing).

• sasyxcassie January 22, 2013 at 11:01 am

I’m all for it. God has blessed our land with medicinal herbs and spices so it’s high time we harnessed them. Plus a lot of medicine we take today are ‘herb inspired’ . Aspirin
    contains the synthetic version of quinine ( derived from the bark of the cinchona tree). Lauric acid that you find in drugs for herpes ,candida and HIV comes from coconut, palm and palm kernel oil.

• sasyxcassie January 22, 2013 at 11:01 am

sassycassie

• Shao January 22, 2013 at 11:57 am

I don’t agree. They are still now good at western medicine now they want to add something totally distant.

• BC January 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

Please do. Western Medicine scared the heck outta me

• Sonia January 22, 2013 at 11:07 am

It’s all the same. Chemicals for ‘medicine’ are derived from natural sources. Some people even prefer purer alternatives like me. It’s all natural medicine.

• Rhal-trina January 22, 2013 at 11:30 am

I DONT WANT TO DIE #weeping

• Berry Dakara January 22, 2013 at 12:01 pm

BUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

In my opinion, it’s not a bad idea. However, instead of making it compulsory, have it as an optional course that students can decide on themselves. I’m all for PROVEN natural/organic remedies.

• Zednani January 22, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I think it is a brilliant idea. There are natural remedies for many problems that exist, some that are even more potent and beneficial than the pharmaceuticals that exist today. I think both types of medicine can coexist and even be integrated in prescriptions for various illnesses and I think it is good knowledge for upcoming healthcare physicians to have – and a better way for patients to explore their options.

• Ngozi January 22, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Serious Mama Nkechi tins here

• taiwo January 22, 2013 at 4:28 pm

it wont be a bad idea western medicine have alot of side effects instead of healing you sometimes it will add more problems to one’s health and then you get addicted to it and have to rely on the medicine for the rest of one’s life.

• kelly January 23, 2013 at 12:00 am

i think it wont be a bad idea i mean maybe this could help lots of people .

• Udy January 23, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I totally agree with the idea because it great. I remember when i had issues wit my hormones, i was nt ovulating n ma period neva came n wen it did, it was so scanty. Saw a gnac doc was pumped wit hormonal injectns bt ma period was stil scanty. Next tyme i had sex wit ma bf, i got pregnant öne hand. I had 2 go thru d trado med way to help myself. Nw i ovulate properly and my flow is back tö normal.

• jawa March 9, 2013 at 7:15 am

Good idea. legislation needed for sustainability.