The recent kidnap of 29-year-old Kemisola Ogunyemi, a lady who returned to Nigeria with her husband to bury her late mother and settle down has stirred up some apprehension among Nigerians living abroad who plan to return home.

Kemisola lost her mother on Wednesday 26th December 2012 and returned to Nigeria with her husband, Akin  from the United States for the burial after living there for about a year. Sadly, she was kidnapped at about 8.30pm in Ajah, Lagos on Sunday 10th February 2013.

She was kidnapped about one minute’s drive to her Abraham Adesanya Estate home in Ajah. A family member who spoke anonymously told Punch:

“Kemisola and her husband just got an apartment in Abraham Adesanya Estate. In fact, they moved in less than a month ago. The day she was kidnapped, she was coming back from a visit to her father who lives in Ikorodu. When she got to Jeffery Plaza, which is about a minute’s drive to her house, some men double-crossed her Murano Sport Utility Vehicle, took control of the car and took her away in it. We actually got the details from people who witnessed it around the plaza. They said the kidnappers shot into the air and zoomed away with her in the car.”

The following day, her SUV was discovered in the front of Ogombo Police Station, Ajah with one of her shoes in it. The kidnappers later called her husband with Kemisola’s phone, Punch reports.

“They called about 11.41 am on Monday. The speaker clearly sounded like an Igbo man. He said, ‘Where are you?’ But when Yinka said he was in the house, the speaker asked again ‘Are you sure? Are you sure you are in the house? Yinka insisted that he was in the house. He told them he wanted to speak with Kemisola and they gave the phone to her. Kemi sounded very distraught on the phone. She was begging her husband to please help her and do everything the men demanded.”

But it was learnt that the kidnappers disconnected the call after they instructed Yinka to call them later by 2pm on Monday. The kidnappers later called on Monday night and demanded N60 million for Kemisola’s release, the relation told Punch.

“When they asked for the money, we were all shocked. We pleaded with them, but they were threatening to kill her. How do we get N60 million? We are not politicians. Yinka is just a salary earner while Kemisola has not even got a job since they got back to Nigeria.”

On Tuesday, the kidnappers called again with their own number, sounding anxious and insisting that the N60 million should be paid as soon as possible. She said the kidnappers called about 10 times repeating their demand and asking when it would be paid.

“The man who spoke on the phone said, ‘We will kill her if you don’t pay. We kidnapped two other women and we have already killed them because they did not pay what we demanded’.”

But thankfully, a family member, who spoke with Punch last night confirmed that Kemisola has been released.

“Kemi told us she was beaten brutally. They dropped her off along the Lekki-Epe Expressway around 8pm on Thursday. Luckily, she was able to get help from motorists and later contacted us. We paid the ransom on Thursday morning after the kidnappers played different tricks to ensure they evaded capture. They thought we had involved the police. We just thank God we have her back. But she’s not in any condition to answer any questions for now. She is resting.”

This unfortunate incidence coming just weeks after this family returned back home with the intention of settling down must have raised a lot of doubts about the decision and the security situation in Nigeria. The rate of kidnappings keeps rising daily and Nigerians are very upset about this.

96 Comments on How a Woman was Kidnapped & Released in Lagos Few Weeks after Relocating to Nigeria from the U.S
  • i no send February 16, 2013 at 10:20 am

na wa o..we thank God for her safe return to her family….

• AMA February 16, 2013 at 10:24 am

I would be scared when coming to Nigeria

• fatty February 16, 2013 at 10:35 am

all this stupid telecom companies,stupid police and stupid government, someone calls here like that, they will trace that call to the location and rescue the victim, or atleast when they come for the ransom they can be double crossed,its almost has easy has it sounds.

• OnPoint February 16, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Pls must u write with ur accent?

• stef February 18, 2013 at 3:09 am

lmbo…….u got me rolling off my bed

• yinka February 16, 2013 at 4:50 pm

you get me!!!!! how can kidnappers be escaping like this in this 2013? how did they get the money?? if they paid into an account, cant the money be traced? if it was in cash can they not mark the bills? what are the police doing?????? SSS nko? mehn this country is finished.

• Irokoroots February 16, 2013 at 7:22 pm

Lol at “mark the bills,” you have been watching too much movies. You don forget say na Naija.

• iba February 16, 2013 at 5:32 pm

its a big shame. with the way these kidnappers were calling and demanding money, the police and relevant authrorites ought to be able to trace the calls or whatever.Cant we trace bank notes or apprehend culprits who try to collect money from the bank or whatever. Haba what is it, is this only possible in CSI shows. They can pull this stuff off too in Nigeria but wont bother unless its one politician’s mother or father. May God almighty help us.

• Dabota February 18, 2013 at 12:31 am

“has easy has it sounds” ? Really? Hare you sure habout that? Lol!

• sista February 16, 2013 at 10:51 am

thats just not cool

• hope February 16, 2013 at 11:07 am

This is very sad, there has been so much kidnapping going on in lagos, but for some reason the police is downplaying to avoid causing unnecessary panic. Thank God she is back home safe and sound.

• TheTruth13 February 16, 2013 at 11:13 am

Now this is why people living abroad, like myself always have second thoughts about relocating to Nigeria. They encourage us to come back and make a difference to the country but when issues like kidnap are not getting any better why should we come back and put our lives at risk. It saddens me, a change is needed in Nigeria.

• Ms lala February 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Preach….am seriously not finding lagos funny anymore..its so sad because am pretty darn sure whoever planned her kidnap is someone she knows or her family knows, could be anyone within the circle…am always paranoid whenever am in lagos…everyone and their mama is SUSPECT. you can’t even trust the gateman, cook, driver, heck even neighbors. how about i sit my yansh in LA and feel safe.

• bimbo February 18, 2013 at 7:57 am

Abeg sit o. I was in lagos in Nov with my 3yr old daughter and it was d most nerve wracking vacation i’ve ever taken. My husband’s mind wasnt at rest. Everyday he was calling to check on us. My parents wouldnt let me go out unless one of my siblngs was taking me. Even to buy credit from outside sef was a no-no. I had to change my location from sibling to sibling. And i was praying like hell especially cos with child where person wan run if yawa gas. Abeg it wasnt fun cos of lack of security. Couldnt go out much.

• Valerie February 16, 2013 at 11:13 am

As a Nigerian American living in New York City, I am planning on coming back home for some business ventures and possibly staying.
    This scares me a lot, why can’t we all just live together happily.
    Thanks and Talk to you guys later

• brittany February 16, 2013 at 1:34 pm

it’s very good that u have given some of your details and plans here…my dear u do not give out plans when u are Nigerian for this alone can be used to await your arrival and source more info about u…. BE WISE!

• segzy February 16, 2013 at 11:14 am

god wil give her streant

• johnson February 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm

lmao,God will give her strength you meant?money you spend on bis pls use on English classes

• lala February 16, 2013 at 5:16 pm

tell them!

• MOD February 18, 2013 at 9:00 am

Hahahahahaaaa dead***

• meeeeeeee February 16, 2013 at 11:31 am

Apparently her family members must have been involved in the kidnapping.how did they get info?

• Okechukwu Ofili February 16, 2013 at 12:26 pm

“The speaker clearly sounded like an Igbo man” and they lost me…

• Abby February 16, 2013 at 1:03 pm

Ofili as in ehn! you just echoed my thots. Not to detract from the gravity or sadness of the situation….they lost me there as well.What has that got to do with anything?

• CuriousShe February 16, 2013 at 1:13 pm

They lost me too! That was unnecessary. I am almost offended by it. But, I digress. This kidnapping issue is serious. It’s at times like these that I feel terribly helpless and sorry. I want to make a difference but how can I help, where do I even start… I sure can start with intensifying my prayers for divine wisdom and good counsel for the leaders but there’s only so much prayer can do. *sigh* It is well!

• Mo February 16, 2013 at 1:27 pm

Please what is wrong with identifying the voice of the culprits, it is easy to detect ethnicity from a person’s accent.

• Abby February 16, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Have you thought that they could have been faking the accent? I for one have the ability to mimic lots of accents and mannerisms as part of my comic acts and i do it for fun and do it very well. For example,If I called you pretending to be a french person,you’d have no cause to think otherwise. So the problem is that statement right there has stereotyped the rest of the story…That’s the point I think the preceding commentators and I are trying to pass across. The story wouldn’t have been less horrifying if that statement was excluded.

• lala February 16, 2013 at 5:22 pm

MO,
        there are over 250 ethnic groups in Nigeria, Trust me, if you heard my voice you won’t be able to tell my ethnicity if you’ve ever even heard the name of my tribe before. Abi you know how each one sounds right?

But as in Igbo people, sha… hahaha!

• nnenne February 16, 2013 at 2:07 pm

exactly my thoughts too. i almost stopped reading the story at that point. anyways thank God she was released.

• UrbanIce February 16, 2013 at 4:22 pm

I went to QC with Kemi (nee Uthman) and so glad she has been found. @ Ofili and co, please don’t take offense. People will generally, use the most obvious attribute to describe a person.In this case, it was the accent. If someone was kidnapped in the States, the kidnapper’s accent would be used to describe them. e.g” the kidnappers a deep southern drawl”. No race or tribe has monopoly on kidnapping, I am sure they did not mention it to offend anyone, it’s just a fact that the kidnapper they spoke with, allegedly had an Igbo accent. Kemi has been found, please let’s not focus on this inconsequential detail.

• Tempo February 16, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Thank you for being logical. Mr. Ofili and co. obviously got so defensive they lost basic sense of reasoning. Like u said, if you had to give a description of a criminal, its only natural to start with the basic and most obvious attributes; gender, complexion, height and yes if an accent stands out it can help to build a profile. Please guys, lets break the cycle of tribalism.

• annie February 18, 2013 at 2:48 pm

If they pointed out the ‘apparent’ ethnicity as a clue towards apprehending him i’d understand why it was mentioned. As they didn’t, I don’t. I understand where Ofili & co are coming from. It was unnecessary information if they weren’t going to use it for anything.

• Julius February 16, 2013 at 8:00 pm

Why bring ethnicity into this?
      The reporter was just reporting what he or she was told. I use to have so much respect for you bro!

• Xtsy February 17, 2013 at 2:19 pm

The obviously ‘enlightened’ can choose to act ignorant when it suits their agenda.

• Blogger February 17, 2013 at 5:49 pm

@ Abby, your comment really doesn’t make sense. For all we know it could have been a Russian woman pretending to be an Igbo man but the crux of the matter is that the hubby detected an Igbo accent and he reported what he heard. Btw, did Okechukwu Ofili actually write the comment above? I am thinking it’s an impostor sa…because I refuse to believe that the Ofili i have so much respect for will actually write this.

• Blogger February 17, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Abeg! People can like to nitpick.At a time like this, you think the family cares to be politically correct?If the guy sounded igbo ,then he sounded igbo!!! Y’all know if your loved one was kidnapped and you were narrating the story, you would mention the accent you detected from the kidnapper.Oh, please,be realistic and stop being overly sensitive.

• tomeloma February 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I refuse to believe that Ofili can be this petty…

• Stella Kashmoney February 16, 2013 at 12:26 pm

Thank God for her life. May God protect us all.

• ben February 16, 2013 at 12:44 pm

It’s a pity though. However, crime is a universal phenomenon so don’t particularize it to Nigeria. and who cares if Nigerians abroad decide nt to come home any more. probably they prefer the sandy hook school experience.

• brittany February 16, 2013 at 1:35 pm

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH I just died…I concur..but the thing is, we take it a tad far..experiences like this the police abroad would try their best u know..they’d get somewhat involved. over here in naija, they don’t.

• I care. February 16, 2013 at 4:40 pm

You should care when dead bodies are found floating in rivers and nobody can give an explanation,when Sandy hook and other incidents(kidnapping included) happens abroad the culprits are either apprehended or they kill themselves .That my dear is what eludes similar situations in Nigeria.

• shells February 16, 2013 at 5:18 pm

@ben..i agree with yo..but there is NO form of justice system in place to catch such criminals…if this had occurred in america for example, the call would definately have been traced to the location. and the point of handover of the money would either have been under surveillance, and her car would also have been searched for DNA identification since the kidnappers were in it, or the randsom money serial number could have been noted by the bank in such a way that it can be traced when it is being circulated, or she would be able to give a sketched version of the culprit and a wanted notice circulated in the media……but in naija, the kidnapper sef prolli lives across her street and will use the money to even build house beside hers, without any trace…sometimes i dont blame these people when they can commit a crime, become rich, and go scut free. not everyone has a conscience u know???

• shells February 16, 2013 at 5:21 pm

@ben..i agree with you..but there is NO form of justice system in place to catch such criminals…if this had occurred in america for example, the call would definitely have been traced to the location. or the point of handover of the money would either have been under surveillance, or her car would have been searched for DNA identification since the kidnappers were in it, or the ransom money serial number could have been noted by the bank in such a way that it can be traced when it is being circulated, or she would be able to give a sketched version of the culprit and a wanted notice circulated in the media……but in naija, the kidnapper sef prolli lives across her street and will use the money to even build house beside hers, without any trace…sometimes i dont blame these people when they can commit a crime, become rich, and go scut free. not everyone has a conscience u know???

• Yemy February 16, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Thank God for her life , if you dig deep I’m sure a family member or domestic staff is involved, I guess we must all be very careful of how we trust and divulge information in front of people cos you just never know what or how they’re are gonna use it. Be safe!

• kevinosky February 16, 2013 at 1:39 pm

I believe her kidnappers knew about her prior to her abduction, kidnappers don’t just randomly kidnap people. She really needs to be careful.

• Caligula February 16, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Every single detail IS necessary whenever any crime is committed. They were going to kill her. I’m just grateful to God that he kept her. Her husband is a good man for the huge Sacrifice he made for her cuz $72mill is no joke. Lesson learned. The security is lackluster in Nigeria. This issue, the robberies, the fact that children lose their innocence so fast and other contributing factors is why I can’t even picture myself relocating back there. I wanna come back but maybe when I do, it’ll be between south Africa and Ghama. Easy life, nothing beats that

• RealTalk February 16, 2013 at 6:30 pm

First i thank God the kidnappers released her and i hope she wasnt badly injured..and that ransome is just heart breaking, i want to believe there was an insider working wth dem sum1 that knws the couple to a certain degree. Yea also, i want to believe you are not a nigerian, and if am wrong why would you take south africa and ghana over your country (dont get me wrong am not tryin to say those countries are not good or you dont have your reasons for picking them over “)but.. Personally i believe the issue of security is a global dilemma. The ideas Nigerians have of not wanting to relocate back home is a sorry case and the reasons can be viewed from different angle, reasons like less job opportunity, security, not so good educational systems.Looking at it from my own point of view i believe we have work to do too.Say for example we create more job opportunities(i know that require initial capital) by starting your own business by that we are contributing our own quota into the growth and development of the country.I know its not so easy just by mere saying its takes alot capital, determination, hardwork, honesty and the likes but i believe there is nothing impossible if you put your mind to it. Also it is not by claiming entrepreneur and business men/women like every1 claims nowadays.There is more to it than that.

• Spanky J February 16, 2013 at 1:48 pm

As the gap between rich & poor increases, okadas removed from the main roads without a fair alternative (like an okada-only lane), illegal kiosks & small businesses removed from public land and no significant PUBLIC policies being executed across board (esp. education) for the common man to be encouraged by while illegal PRIVATE enterprise & CORRUPTION overruns the country what do we expect??? Our situation is WAY MORE SERIOUS than we think. Complacency is the order of the day in Nigeria because the Sun always shines. We live in hope and act with a lack of faith in ourselves..waiting for GOD to solve our problems.

• Sbaby February 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm

Na wa oh, thank God she was released, if you ask me this is an inside job, soneone that knows them and knows they can raise the realese fee.
    Its God protecting us in ths lagos

• John February 16, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I heard Bayelsa State recently passed death penalty laws against this type of crime. When will other states follow suit so that kidnappers and armed robbers who trade human beings as commodities can be sent where they belong.

• tee February 16, 2013 at 2:42 pm

jeez, thank God she is safe, lets hope things get better. Nawa for the americans saying they want to come back home, but things like this make them stay back, Stay back now *hiss*. so what of the Nigerians that don’t have options. Makes me wonder the kind of difference you actually planning on making.

• Jane February 16, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Insider! Insider! Insider. The thing is when stuff like this happen, secretly report to the SSS. I tell ya, those guys are working.

• NNENNE February 16, 2013 at 3:43 pm

@spanky J… We cannot settle for less though. We need a sane society.
    All the time we talk about the gap between the rich and the poor but no one addresses polygamy, family planning and population explosion. I still believe that people who work hard in Nigeria, can make honest living. There is so much land in our rural areas. So many untapped potentials but no one wants to live there. Everyone wants to live in Lagos and drive the most exotic car.All fingers are not equal. We have to count one before a million. If an Oyibo man comes to Nigeria to lease land for farming, what is stopping us?

• NK'S PASSIONS February 18, 2013 at 6:35 am

U took the word right out of my mouth!!!!!! *sighs*

• Amber February 16, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Ok,some bori in the family’s got to know somefin…hmh,I can smell foul play

• elizabethadebayo February 16, 2013 at 4:28 pm

may God save us from those kidnappers,is beta for kemi nd her husband is go back to us

• douby February 16, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Pls let us hear all ye “I’m too scared to come back to naija cos of kidnap” but you are not scared that one 14 year old can just snap and shoot you. Like someone said crime is universal and you take precaution according to were you live

• Tempo February 16, 2013 at 8:51 pm

• Tempo February 16, 2013 at 9:00 pm

Well, even though maniacs are abundant in NY, my confidence lies in the fact that the NYPD, SWAT, FBI, National guard and the C I A are on standby and will come through whenever i dial 911. So, tell me, can i trust Yaba PD to come to my rescue if the badguys show up? Be patriotic but dont be unrealistic.

• shells February 16, 2013 at 4:56 pm

returned to Nigeria with her husband, Akin from the United States for the burial after living there for about a year.

after living there for a year is hardly a ”returnee” and it obviously sounds like this was an informed kidnapping. that’s why its never reasonable to tell people when u r travelling, when you are coming back, how long you are staying, e.t.c..because even your gateman could inform these useless imbeciles called kidnappers.

• pelemo February 16, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Your own concern is the fact they they called her a returnee?????I fear for una sa!Always focusing on irrelevant shit!

• amdi February 16, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Isn’t that why there is a comment section at the end of the report?

• candyjay February 16, 2013 at 5:28 pm

this is simple it was one of her family members period! but i really do hate what is going on in nigeria sha its so annoying that a family member would give out info just to get ur own blood kidnapped cos of money its really sad tho

• lala February 16, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Think positive please.

• hmmmmm February 16, 2013 at 6:14 pm

omggggggggggggggg!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! its not that serioussss. you Nigerians are so dramatic with this – . people get kidnapped,shot,killed all over the world(not just in Nigeria ) every – day and the list goes on and on . take a chill pill . i bet most of ya that are in abroad (USA,England etc)now ranting and raving like Nigeria is the worst place on earth and unbearable were probably born in born and raised.you guys act like you have no connections to this country. all you act so fake when you here and pretend that you got it all, you tell everybody mama father that you coming ! and you wonder why you robbed . smh at those saying they cant come cause they scared . if your dumb ass probably didn’t get a visa or a stay in the abroad im absolutely and positively sure you wouldn’t be talking about how sacred you.. yes i was born in Nigeria lived in the USA since i was four but i went there for my high school education and its not that serious the way people exaggerate on how bad the place is .. i mean when i was there it was ok , but not that bad the was people abroad downgrade it .smh at yallll …

• Bukstar February 16, 2013 at 7:00 pm

“Dumb ass” ..really though? How old are you again?

• Person February 16, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Stop being so stuck on stupid. A woman’s family just paid $450,000 to kidnappers who have simply vanished into thin air and you are saying people exaggerate about how bad the situation is? You know kidnapping in the US is a federal crime? Especially when you have crossed state borders and the FBI immediately gets involved? Sure there are kidnaps and robbery all over the world, but the police force is neither callous nor cowardly. Stop underplaying a serious situation. Just because you went to high school in Naija does not make you an expert on the security situation there.

• Ore February 16, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Attending highschool and being a full grown adult are two different scenarios. It’s a real life issue with a real life situation. Perhaps you should go to Nigeria and waive your blue passport around, use yourself as a guinea pig and place yourself in other people’s shoes. My friend’s mom went two years ago and she was killed mistakngly over a measly $200. So stop playing ignorant, and be mindful of other people’s worries. If you can’t be reassuring then please refrain from commenting.

• Onna February 16, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Bia, enyi I hope all is well oh…

• Sara Adebayo February 16, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Gee! scary and sad! So many of us want to return back home and invest.. Is this the true face of Nigeria? What a shame. Not long ago a Nigerian man from the U.S went home and helped so many people in his village, school, hospitals etc.. the next thing he was hijacked and killed in front of his brother, nephews and sons. What a shame., I don’t know what is wrong with Nigerians? A beautiful country is just going down hill with all these crimes, kidnapping etc..

• B February 16, 2013 at 7:22 pm

• salsera February 16, 2013 at 7:26 pm

The premise of this story is flawed, living abroad for a year doesnt make her much of a returnee. Insider information thats for sure, but i doubt they paid N60Million thats for sure the timing was really short, but the easiest way to catch should have been the bank accounts.

• Mujer Casada February 16, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Ummm, how do I start? Okay, first I want to endorse the statement by Spanky J. Next, I want to say that kidnapping is a solid business model. We allowed it to become one. This is a model where for 2-3 weeks of planning and 1 week of actual work, unemployed folks go from earning ZERO naira to earning 60 million naira. No employer in Nigeria can beat this. Now think about it this way, 2-3 more kidnappings of this nature and what have you? A self made millionaire worthy of a title in his local village somewhere in the East. Nigeria is in trouble. We should never have looked away when WHITE people were being kidnapped and when the only victims became the wealthy Niger Deltans after the mass exodus of the whites. Dont standby and watch your neighbor get pillaged and robbed. The cancer spreads and is harder to control when it becomes a business model. I will be praying to God to directly intervene.

• Tosin February 16, 2013 at 9:24 pm

Stories like this will just add to Nigeria’s brain drain. I stayed there four years out of my entire life and swore never to spend up to a year there. Now, I’m reconsidering visiting this year as well.

• Derin February 16, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Thank God for keeping her alive!
    I thought her husband was Akin, who’s this Yinka they spoke with?
    Seriously, you wait at home? No wonder they were surprised and kept asking where he was at!!
    “They thought we had involved the police”- I’m glad they successfully ‘handled’ it on their own, but they SHOULD have involved the authorities, how do you expect them to do anything if you keep bypassing them?
    They call 10+ times from their own number, regardless of how inefficient we say the system is, I’m certain they’d have come up with more the “the speaker clearly sounded Igbo”…
    Anyway, like I said, thank God she’s alive!

• Winny February 16, 2013 at 10:04 pm

SO WHAT WAS THE POINT OF THE SIM REGISTRATION EXERCISE . I THOUGHT NCC TOLD US IT WAS TO CURB CRIMES,TRACE CALLS AND MAKE ARRESTS EASIER.ANOTHER CORRUPT VENTURE OF THE PDP LED GOVT. NIGERIA IS JUST A HUGE JOKE

• say the truth February 16, 2013 at 10:22 pm

Is the husband’s name Akin or Yinka?

• madman February 16, 2013 at 11:06 pm

1. They recently moved into a new house….the landlord or bad belle neighbors could have made note of this.
    2. The preparation for this burial that went for, may have made her make a lot of noise about coming back home from jand. Before you know it, every tom, dick, and harry know that you are back from jand.
    3. When some naija people come back home, they refuse to speak with the naija accent or their native dialect…. too much phonetics could be bad as well.

I go home frequently buh, I don’t tell anyone when I’ll be coming plus I speak my native tongue. Whenever I go off the island, I am as razz as can be. The goal is to blend in with the natives and regulars. Take it easy sha, if you don’t have security, too much shakara no good. just dey do jeje

• madman February 16, 2013 at 11:10 pm

btw, if these kidnappings are a frequent reality, why do Nigerians get angry and upset when foreign media houses portray these types of stories? I don’t see anyone going up in arms about this…. if na BBC, CNN, Jon Gambrell report am na… na so people go dey abuse them. oo ga!

• Amber February 16, 2013 at 11:41 pm

@hmmmmm….hmmmmmmmmmmh,u should really go back now to work then your opinion would change.The truth is when you are out of the country you get to read the worse things going on in the country and you get more informed than people actually living their.

• Caligula February 16, 2013 at 11:54 pm

I am Nigerian. I’m proud of my heritage but I don’t dwell on my Nigerian-ess. I’m open minded but based on a lot of things Ive witnessed when I was younger, living in Nigeria; I wouldn’t take chances on raising my kids there. We had an amazing childhood but there’s the robberies, sleepless nights, family members and their drama, screwed up fake uncles and sneaky attempts of molesting young girls and ruining their innocence.. The list goes on and on. Nigeria is home but people are morally bankruptcy there and honestly, I don’t blame them. The poverty is unbelievable…. The rich are too reckless and out of control too. I wouldnt trade my roots for anything but I can choose who, what and to what extent I want to mix with my people. No biggie. There’s crimes all over the world but I’d rather choose my poison..

• Ms lala February 17, 2013 at 12:34 am

GBAM!!!!!!! PEOPLE KEEP YARNING THAT IN YANKEE U GET KILLED BY 14 YEAR OLDS…THE KEY WORD IS PROBABILITY WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF GETTING ROBBED AND KIDNAPPED IN LAGOS AND WHAT ARE THE CHANCES OF GETTING KILLED BY AN ANGRY TEEN IN AMERICA..

• fomski February 17, 2013 at 1:15 am

One of the things the federal Gover of Nigeria can do is that anyone who want to withdraw money more than 120 thousand naira from an account that received a wired transfer must have his/her photo taken,and every individual who has a bank acc must have their photo taken and added to the bank account at a branch.
    This lazy kidnapers think money grow on trees here idiots. Why not continue with their politicians? they are scary the ones that will bring progress to Nigeria away.

• dagbo February 17, 2013 at 1:34 am

thank God for she was is safe. Why do we keep blaming the Police when they were not even gving the chance to do anything in this situation. Sometimes it seems to me that the society encourage kidnaping in Nigeria by paying the ransome. This is just my opinion.

• dagbo February 17, 2013 at 1:35 am

thank God she is safe. Why do we keep blaming the Police when they were not even gving the chance to do anything in this situation. Sometimes it seems to me that the society encourage kidnaping in Nigeria by paying the ransome. This is just my opinion.

• Pepe Luciano February 17, 2013 at 1:42 am

Whilst we are all expressing shock and horror, am I meant to understand the family had N60m in the bank to pay for her release?
    @ Ofili and co, yes the reference to Igbo accent was detracting and obviously and anti Igbo slur from an illiterate Yoruba person (ie Kidnappers are obviously from the east duH).
    When Nigerians glamourise crime why won’t this keep happening.
    I am based in Singapore and they are heavy handed with this kind of thing so people keep in line. Lets learn from others so we can improve

Pepe

• faith February 17, 2013 at 6:46 am

Caligula u r so ryt!!!

• king February 17, 2013 at 11:14 pm

hmmmmmm, am short of words

• THE DANGER OF A SINGLE STORY!! February 18, 2013 at 3:21 am

Okay i have a problem with the ethnicity identification, that was out of line, for many tribes who associate with igbos for example i am ika and our language has elements of igbo and our accents are the same with igbos from delta, ikas,ikwerres, igala, tiv, bongo,ishekiri, urohobo and many middle belt tribes have the same accent when they speak english as an igbo man, the only difference is that the igbo tribe is the larger and well known tribe than the rest. So i think it was wrong to insinuate that the person was igbo, therefore taking away from the true harm the insecurity in the nation is causing. Instead of us focusing on the kidnapping rampage, we find our selves focusing on simple questions of why did ethnicity have to play a role, they are nigerians period, and no matter how many people see it, it is insulting especially for easterners of good morals and well doing. No one would have liked it if they said it was a yoruba sounding, or hausa sounding, the same uproar of feeling affronted would have arose. Tribalistic sentiments will be what will keep nigeria down. As for the insecurity, i blame the government, and its sad that my homeland is no longer safe.

• gift February 21, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Somebody was kidnapped you are talking about dangers of a single story. If you like when they kidnap someone you know and you heard a hausa accent from the kidnapper, dont speak up o, just write this same essay ok!

• wiklo February 18, 2013 at 6:01 am

@hmmmmm……are u a learner???

• Dolly February 18, 2013 at 6:17 am

$400,000 ransom is A LOT of money oooo!!!! Chai! So what if you only have $5,000 in the bank and no credit cards, what then? Western Union does not allow you to send more than $2,000 or so to Nigeria because of 419. How does someone come up with that money?
    Nigeria is full of potential. But we will never reach our full potential unless this security issue is dealt with.
    Some suggestions… Video cameras on public streets. Does Nigeria have a secret service? It would be nice if someone could go undercover… find the hiding spot of all thiese kidnappers, and kill them.
    Hmmm… but do we have the nerve? Nigeria?
    I hope Nigeria does not become like Columbia or Mexico, where people are kidnapped and killed like nothing. hmmm God help us

• PK- SOUTH AFRICA February 18, 2013 at 7:27 am

if it had occurred in South Africa the calls would definately have been traced to the location. and the point of handover of the money would either have been under surveillance, and her car would also have been searched for DNA identification since the kidnappers were in it, or the randsom money serial number could have been noted by the bank in such a way that it can be traced when it is being circulated, or she would be able to give a sketched version of the culprit and a wanted notice circulated in the media…… hence its not done anymore, our Systems (telecommunications are sostrong signalng is so good. hence the robbers have turned into killing at once and take whatever…………but hijacking and wanting mney that is way behind, it is not even acted on movies anymore its so 1980′s

• Stacey February 18, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Thank God for my peaceful country Cameroon

• bullcrap February 19, 2013 at 12:44 pm

“Graveyard” peace, you mean.