Nigerian Design label Maki Oh presents its Fall/Winter 2013 Collection Lookbook

Posted on Tuesday, March 26th, 2013 at 1:21 PM

By Jennifer Obiuwevbi

Nigerian Fashion Label Maki Oh is taking her individuality in fashion into Winter/ Fall 2013. Featured on top fashion platforms alike Vogue magazine and Vogue’s Style.com this label has captured the attention of ‘fashion people‘ from all over with its conversational pieces, technical structures and detailed construction.

The label’s new collection inspired by the art of hair threading, uses the ‘Adire‘ material to create fine pieces in white, lilac and blue tones. The pieces have asymmetrical hems, a couple of jackets to appeal to its foreign audience in the fall season and signature sheer detail typical of Maki Oh designs.

Something that really caught our eye is the individuality in each piece and the undertone of African heritage in each frame while still maintaining a global appeal. Take a look.

The Fall/Winter Lookbook by Maki Oh

MAKI_

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags:

• Custom Search
  • 71 Comments on “Nigerian Design label Maki Oh presents its Fall/Winter 2013 Collection Lookbook”

Comments
    • deshola March 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM

nice and classy designs……………..pls listen to my song on hulkshare.com/CeeRyu and tell me what you think. i’m CeeRyu

• Gyann March 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM

Ok the model looks like statue. nothing extra ordinary in the styles just unique patterns

• Bunmi March 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM

It’s a lookbook. The model is supposed to stand so you only pay attention to the garments. They are living mannequins. I bet the only idea you have is the overdone poses like Sasha P’s model.

• oyin March 26, 2013 at 1:58 PM

love it! the model and her facial/body expression just complements the collection

• dontmention March 26, 2013 at 2:00 PM

Wow……dats not a compliment oh….am just stunned wit de pieces n don’t quite know what to make of dem…..de colors r very in line with de season she is aiming for which is de winter /fall season..but how do u wear those pieces in de said season if her audience is meant to foreign Bc I do not know abt having a fall or winter in naija or Cameroon…….n plus, de designs r really just there……don’t know what she was going for but it seems to me as doh maki makes a step forward only to take two steps backwards……kudos for effort doh……..
      vikkyscreed.blogspot.com

• Bunmi March 26, 2013 at 4:56 PM

These photos were clearly taken for the major fashion markets and not for Bella Naija readers. Nigerians are becoming recognized for our talents and I’m happy for us. The photos were published on style.com. If you follow world fashion news, you know that the fashion shows that were recently held across the world showcased Fall/Winter collections. I love that she stays true to her Nigerian roots and her work captures that. The collections from most fashion brands have been looking the same lately. It’s obvious that Nigeria isn’t her main target market but she’s based in Nigeria and I don’t blame her considering the facts that she’s not a basic designer/a tailor and most of you don’t understand her aesthetic. Judging from the comments, most of you don’t even understand what is happening in these photos because you prefer drama and new yam festival inspired pieces.
        I don’t see photos of Nigerians wearing her pieces on blogs. I’m sure people do but the only person I remember is Mrs. Nkiru Anumudu who is on a different league when it comes to fashion. Im delighted to see her work get international recognition. That’s when Nigerians will start famzing and forcing themselves to wear sh*t they normally wouldn’t.

• Sonia March 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Lmaoooooo @ new yam festival. I love u 4 that!

But seriously, Nkiru Anumudu isn’t necessarily in a good league because she wears expensive stuff. Fashion is also knowing how to dress for your body type. And her hair is never fashionable, which quite frankly, is part of fashion. Anyway sha, Maki Oh is not for the average BN reader. And i wish they’d just stop featuring her where she doesn’t need to be. This crowd is for Christie Brown’s ankara designs and clothes people can see their tailors copying. Once it’s out of their league, these ones get lost. lol

• Retrochic March 26, 2013 at 2:03 PM

i love some of these clothes actually, buh is thier something awkward abt the chic’s body or wat

• Omo1 March 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM

What’s with the model..or is it the cloths..i don’t even know which

• Lin. Lo. March 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Ummmmm….no thank u!

• sarafina March 26, 2013 at 2:09 PM

Yes maki! Loves it

• pynk March 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM

nice to know they dress dolls

• kike March 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM

This looks like something we’ve seen her do time before. Pretty basic.

• Peachy_mo March 26, 2013 at 2:13 PM

haha! person or statue? nothing new…

• Ikunkun March 27, 2013 at 4:17 AM

My thoughts (in yoruba) exactly!! “Eyaan re ‘abi Ebora!!” lmao..am so razz!

• Tiki March 26, 2013 at 2:19 PM

The white stuff looks scary to me. I like some of the last pieces though, particularly those in mint and lilac.

• Sonia March 26, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Lol @ Mint and lilac being ur preference. I’m sure u wish the white ones were fuschia.

• Teddy Bear March 26, 2013 at 2:22 PM

NICE!

• Carrie Bradshaw March 26, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Oh wow the model looks like a brown skinned barbie…. I thought she was a mannequin at first lol. I LOVE this collection:) so nicely tailored and sharp. Edgy yet very wearable and very ‘now’. Some designers are just blessed, they know their craft well and execute ideas so brilliantly. No unnecessary props or ‘gra gra’ needed for this one lol. All the pieces speak for themselves….. Very straight to d point! I could go on…….. Needless to say, I’d definitely wear/mix and match everything (as long as they’re affordable o lol) #yum!

• fairygodmotherng March 26, 2013 at 2:32 PM

I love how the (Wrap?) skirts look like a modern version of the “oleku” wrapper.

• Omo Ghana March 26, 2013 at 2:37 PM

That model is the puuurfect hanger for the clothes! Fab choice!! IMO she’s muse-worthy…she’s a def keeper!!
      And the collection…i find it eerily endearing.

• ay March 26, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Thought I was the only one that thinks the model looks funny

• Taiwo March 26, 2013 at 2:44 PM

It perfect!!

• IJ March 26, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Intricate, yet simple. Stylish, yet classy. Colours and patterns put together beautifully. Different. — (Normally not a fan of Maki Oh! but I find this time she nailed it. )

• Mosi March 26, 2013 at 3:10 PM

Interesting mix! I can’t stop laughing-a case of “Mannequin comes to life”!lol…….

• oluchy March 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

I NO UNDERSTAND MORE OF THE CLOTHES. WELL, ITS OKAY.

• fact!! March 26, 2013 at 3:19 PM

you see am??????? like i will always say use a mullato model (eku) and watch them(nigerians) worship your design …

• Stella Kashmoney March 26, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Lovely collection.

• FashionLagos March 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM

LOVE!LOVE!LOVE

• BabyDee March 26, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Biko, is that a person or a mannequin? Is na person abeg you people should stop it o. Haba, no life whatsoever detectable..

• Cynthia March 26, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I thought I was the only one that noticed that, she looks so motionless , fear catch me, she just straight for all d pics,lol

• OLA March 26, 2013 at 11:05 PM

it is art! appreciated it

• Priscy March 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

is dat a mannequin or model? *no insult meant*

• Ms. Jayee March 26, 2013 at 3:41 PM

Open your eyes people!!! These designs are exquisite. Love the fabrics, patterns and styling. Good work done. Although, I must say that there is a teeny bit of similarity with the designs with that of Bridget Awosika and JBL (Just saying)

• Jay March 27, 2013 at 8:16 AM

I have to agree. Especially Bridget. I’m usually in love with Maki Oh’s collections because they always seem so visually startling, like art that forces you to stop, really consider it & what it means and definately remember it. I’m def no fashion critique, just an art lover, but this collection does nothing for me and I think she has been and can be way more expressive. Still a fan though. I guess designers, like the rest of us, are on a journey of self discovery, so I’m looking forward to the next collection.

• dp March 26, 2013 at 4:14 PM

is this person a human being or a statue

• flaks March 26, 2013 at 4:17 PM

I rlly dnt get who she made dis designs for. Is it for nigerians? Cos we dnt hav winter/fall over here ooo. All we have is rain,dry nd harmarratan sesons, so all dis designers sld better get their target audience right.nice designs tho.

• Drama March 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM

Nice line. Reminds me of what you see in zara.

• eloho March 26, 2013 at 4:48 PM

I actually love them. The mannequin-like model was PERFECT! Adire is the future! LOVE LOVE!

• Ola March 26, 2013 at 5:01 PM

love this collection!! Also love the 3 dimensional effect created by the mats on the floor.. very creative!

• Mariaah March 26, 2013 at 5:17 PM

I love, I want.. The model reminds me of that shoot Makida Moka did for Bridget Awosika in one of her colletions.. It made me fall in love with Makida as a model and I love this model tool…

Not all shoots have to be busy with different styles and poses, I like how you can see the clothes in their beauty but you notice the model too.. Nice!!

• Nonhle March 26, 2013 at 5:36 PM

I love it!!!! now where can I buy? I am tired of just looking at look books! I want these pieces in my wardrobe. Thank you

• nicholette March 26, 2013 at 5:44 PM

Does the model breathe? The way dey stand as if she lacks life

• Sara Adebayo March 26, 2013 at 7:32 PM

This woman needs to identify herself, she looks fake , with no shape…. Like she is glued somewhere.. NOT my taste and won’t be the taste of many women.

• Bunmi March 26, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Exactly! Not for the average woman but for the woman who really believes in fashion & exclusivity. You like House of Nwocha abi?

• Aunty Gimme Cake March 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Bunmi, Do you do pr for Maki Oh? Cos the way you’re taking your precious time to reply every negative comment is really disturbing? Or is this Maki Oh replying “unexposed and fashion-illiterate Nigerians” with a fake name. If you are really Maki Oh’s friend or employee stop with the replies, it’s not a good look.
          On the other hand, the pieces are lovely, it’s nice to see adire being recognized as African fabric rather than Ankara which isn’t African but Dutch. I’m always upset that our real African fabrics made by real Nigerians like aso-oke, kampala and adire don’t get as much recognition as Ankara which is a Western product. The model is perfect, African and not taking attention away from the clothes with over-the-top make up and poses. This is very, very impressive I must say, other designers should take note!

• tega March 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Wow, Maki-Oh is so talented.

• Dr N March 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM

This is what am talking about; classic designs and a model who is modelling” the designs how do i get hold of this from d designer. Very edgy and wearable. I love

• tega March 26, 2013 at 7:46 PM

Wow, Maki-Oh is so talented. I love this

• HABBA March 26, 2013 at 7:58 PM

the model is beautiful if it was a white woman all of you would be shouting that she is stunning! u all have been brainwashed. the clothes are also stylish!!

• Ikunkun March 27, 2013 at 4:20 AM

We no talk say she no fine na! but even if angel demonstrate this her abami eda posing/expression, I go still queshuun am! #shuuoo

• truetalk March 26, 2013 at 8:01 PM

the obvious- the model looks like a barbie!! so pretty! the clothes are lovely!! definently something i would wear!

• i no send March 26, 2013 at 8:09 PM

yes @ Ms jayee and Dr N…..This is exquisite high fashion and only for the discerning mind….

• YR March 26, 2013 at 8:37 PM

OMG !!! Maki-Oh blew this out of the waterssss !!! whattttt !!! sooo damn PERFECTT !!! Sucha gifted designer/artist !!! WOW WOW !!! Sooo impressed, did’nt expect any less. the model is a winner, who knows her name ? she’s stunning and so perfect, God bless you maki for trying to show your fellow nigerians unique and effortless style. sadly they are’nt ready. xoxo

• ema March 26, 2013 at 9:47 PM

i luv everything about this collection…the model did exactly what she was supposed to,d fabric is so on point,complete individuality in every design!thumbs up to maki o

• Ms lala March 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

love it…..Maki Oh in da building…can;t wait to get my hands on the first, second, dang it..just give me the whole collection lol

• kesh March 26, 2013 at 11:32 PM

LOVE IT SHE DID A GOOD JOB AS ALWAYS!!!!

• BEE March 26, 2013 at 11:53 PM

please you people need to do a give away lemme get something from the collection. one word, GORGE

• R March 27, 2013 at 12:57 AM

Fantastic collection!

• splendour March 27, 2013 at 12:58 AM

I need to meet ds bunmi commentator shes good! One of d few nigerians dt understand fashion as well nigerian fashion

• bsky March 27, 2013 at 2:57 AM

i love this… i see kerry washington wearing some of these pieces…

• Non professional opinion March 27, 2013 at 7:31 PM

You hit the nail on the head! Perfect match.

• kikelomo March 27, 2013 at 7:50 AM

Collection ok buh model scaring…na wa oh

• bimpe March 27, 2013 at 11:05 AM

This is a cohesive collection. Welldone Maki Oh!
      I just think you can do away with the bust exposure. Love the fact that there is consistency in your print work over the years and the colour palette you chose to work within this collection work perfectly together.

• Nnenna March 27, 2013 at 3:08 PM

This model looks like barbie damn! Nice work Maki Oh!

• Trendysturvs March 27, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Nice
      trendysturvs.blogspot.com

• Guest March 27, 2013 at 6:09 PM

Maki Oh! is bang on trend. Love all the bf jackets and I can see Kerry Washington and Solange Knowles in these pieces. Hopefully, the fabric quality is first class. I’m so glad loose clothing is back on the fashion scene, bored out of my mind with the tight-fitting-peplum-cutout dresses everywhere

• Non professional opinion March 27, 2013 at 7:28 PM

By revisiting fabrics, textures and silhouettes, she develops her signature. You see too many young designers jumping from a to b as new things become popular. It takes guts and focus to stick to your own path.
      This collection is the best yet and I’m glad the fashion industry agrees with me because her talent deserves to be nurtured. Nothing but love.

• Miranda March 29, 2013 at 2:58 PM

Tsemaye binite, maki o and Bridget awosika are beginning to have same cuts……diff fabric choice though. Maki o is an inspiration!

• Pelumi March 29, 2013 at 7:25 PM

Absolutely in love! Stunning, the detailing, the cut, pattern mixture, gradation of colors..so, so, perfect. The true mark of a designer, is that your tailor down the street will not be able to replicate, where can I get these? I love the tops and skirts, you can certainly mix and match, the colors are subtle enough. GORG, I WANT, I WANT!!

• BB April 22, 2013 at 1:18 PM

My favorites are pictures 6, 8, 12, 14 and 19. 6 and 12 my absolute best. Well done Maki Oh. I was afraid I was going to see bare chested ladies, but to my (pleasant) surprise, nothing of the sort. Very well done.