LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings036We’ve hit a homerun with the LoveStruck Photo Series by the Wedding Company!
This time, the Wedding Company takes on the “bridal shower” in collaboration with FotogrAffi and we are loving the results.
See all the loveliness and find out more below.

Here at the Wedding Company, we don’t just celebrate romantic couples, but every aspect of wedding experiences, including the all-important bridal shower! It’s the perfect chance for girlfriends to get together and indulge in all-things fabulous.

For episode 3 of our LoveStruck photo series, we wanted to capture the fun and femininity of a bridal shower, while giving things a modern Nigerian twist. We wanted to highlight that it’s very possible to have a bridal shower with gorgeous personal touches and sophistication, using bright and playful Ankara accents and cute cultural signifiers. We hope you’ll enjoy seeing these images as much as we enjoyed orchestrating them.

If you’re soon-to-be-married and interested in being part of our photo series, contact lovestruck@theweddingcompanyng.com

Keep abreast with the Wedding Company’s activities on
urltheweddingcompanyng.com
twitter: TheweddingcomNG
Facebookfacebook.com/Theweddingcompanynigeria
Google +: +The Wedding Company

LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings001LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings012LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings039LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings040LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings041LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings042LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings043LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings002LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings003LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings004LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings005LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings006LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings010LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings011LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings013LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings014LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings016LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings017LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings019LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings020LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings021LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings022LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings024LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings025LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings026LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings027LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings028LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings030LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings032LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings034LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings035LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings037LoveStruck by the Wedding Company Nigeria Bridal Shower - April 2013 - BellaNaija Weddings038

Credits

Temilade Openiyi
Wemimo Olapade
Uche Nnado
Efe Asgbara

Styling: The Wedding Company and Jennifer Ogadi

Make- Up: Dorcas for Bimpe Onakoya

We love weddings as much as you do! Get in touch
weddings (at) bellanaija.com
www.bellanaija.com/weddings
www.twitter.com/BellaNaijaWed
www.facebook.com/BellaNaijaWeddings
www.instagram.com/BellaNaijaWeddings

89 Comments on It’s a LoveStruck Bridal Shower! View the Latest Installment of the Wedding Company’s Photo Series
  • kema April 2, 2013 at 11:26 am

This is a defination of CLASS!!!

• Twister April 2, 2013 at 11:57 am

I need to get into this wedding industry thing.

• HRS April 2, 2013 at 11:57 am

Fabulous! Models are even regular girls, I love! The deco is beautiful and the cake! Wow!!! :) #DearCloseFriendsOfMine, please visit this page, here’s a hint of what I love as a shower ;) …..when the time comes……. ;)

• Twister April 2, 2013 at 11:59 am

pounding yam at my bridal shower? I don’t really think so!

• Fifi April 2, 2013 at 5:06 pm

Olodo its part of her bridal shower gifts

• deetz April 2, 2013 at 5:42 pm

Lol, she wasn’t pounding yams. It was a gift that she recieved from one of her friends. She was just demonstrating it by posing for the cam.

• obikels April 2, 2013 at 12:01 pm

Its a movie to mi. Bridal showers cn never b dis organised naa. Its cool tho.I like

• yoyo April 2, 2013 at 2:59 pm

@obikels.. actually Bridal showers are this organized. At least they are over here in the states.. And it can be done in Naija as well. trust me

• candy April 2, 2013 at 12:07 pm

So cute! They all look elegant. You can be covered up and still look beautiful ladies!
    Love the hairstyles too!
    Love it all!

• Priscy April 2, 2013 at 12:19 pm

lovely…just got some ideas from this.

• whocares April 2, 2013 at 1:00 pm

ahem.. where is the stripper? the booze? lool. I joke, this is really lovely!

• huh? April 2, 2013 at 1:48 pm

Confused!

• Ok o April 2, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Lovely!

• ijebuPrincess April 2, 2013 at 1:52 pm

This is definitely the best of the series so far! A huge leap frrom the mediocrity of the previous ones. Well done!

• Alex April 2, 2013 at 2:35 pm

xooooo cute!

• kikelomo April 2, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Please BN, how do you get into the Wedding industry?

• Confused! April 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm

Mortar n pestle as what? A celebration of the domestication of Nigerian women! When will we stop seeing women as slaves? The pictures are bright and nice but the concept is derogatory!

• Mz Socially Awkward… April 2, 2013 at 4:34 pm

Wow. That’s very condescending of you to even say that. So any woman who pounds yam is a slave in your own view? Giving mortars and pestles are traditional dowry gifts for some Nigerian cultures, just in the same way that brides are given sewing machines and tubers of yam during traditional weddings.

I don’t see anything demeaning in the gift, I only see the derogation in your own comment.

• Mariaah April 2, 2013 at 4:57 pm

Confused, you are very confused!! What’s degoratory about that mortar and pestle?? So, as a human being you won’t feed? If you are given a cooker with oven as a wedding gift you will reject it because you see it as degoratory and whoever gave you want to turn you to a baker for a man?? Or if you are given pots and pans it means all you will do is cook soups and stews???

Long hiss…

• Surprise April 2, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Mennn…I think you are actually confused and mortally myopic . Please open your mind.

• Ore April 2, 2013 at 5:46 pm

My gosh! I hope you know the mortar and pestle are cooking instruments clown!

• Aragon April 2, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I bought mortar and pestle from IKEA the other day. Just saying.

• Naija talk April 4, 2013 at 12:46 am

You don’t say! IKEA carries mortar and pestle? Sister God bless your life, ah God bless you indeed for this information.

• Aragon April 7, 2013 at 12:26 am

@Naijatalk. Yeah they do but the one I bought is not the big type like we have in Naija. This one is smaller but very pretty and heavy. I think they make them a bit small cos it is hewed from granite. I don’t know if they are sold in the UK since I don’t live in England. And I am a guy. Cheers!
        I added a picture for you to see.
        ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60201251/

• Specs April 3, 2013 at 1:05 am

Haaaa!!! look at this one oh!! I am confused as well….I can’t figure out If you really believe what you typed(which means you don pass from confusion to yaba left candidate) or your just kidding!!

• Bee April 3, 2013 at 8:52 am

You’re really confused

• zzzzz April 2, 2013 at 4:40 pm

In my area amongst the gifts given by the family to the bride, a mortar and pestle is a most. There is nothing demeaning about having a motar, I mean you can not get the best of some condiments from a blender.

• x factor April 2, 2013 at 5:11 pm

WOOOWWWWW!!!!!!!!…..Ingenious……Simply beautiful

• InCotonou April 2, 2013 at 5:16 pm

I actually agree with Confused on this one.. Images are powerful. Just because things were done in a certain way in the past, it does not mean they cannot be improved upon! Yes, mortars and pestles are given traditionally as wedding gift. But reflect for a second. What was the social context at the time, and what was the message behind the gift? It’s simple. These gifts were common because they conveyed what was socially prevalent and accepted; that a woman’s place is in the home, to cook and provide for her family. There is nothing wrong with this view per se. It becomes a problem when it becomes a diktat; that to be a woman, you must conform to this view. I understand that the purpose of this photoshoot is to create a beautful but realistic setting that viewers can easily relate to. We can enjoy them, but we can also question them. And that’s what Confused is doing. I for one am a teriible cook and don’t like hanging out in the ktchen. It’s been like that since I was a small girl. Today, I have a partner, thank Heaven, who is open minded and does not mind that I can’t cook to save my life. I can assure you, it does not make me feel any less a woman. Not for one second. If ever i have a bridal shower, I do not want a mortar and pestle as a gift. So sue me!

• Laide April 2, 2013 at 6:25 pm

I stopped at the part where you said you are a terrible cook….it answered all the questions I was going to ask u.

• Specs April 3, 2013 at 1:14 am

Gbabeski!!!!!
        Now to you first lady of BeninRepublic, so can’t your open-minded partner use the utensils you got?? or his mind no open reach to pound?? msschewwww, I am a single well educated chick and while I may love cooking more than the average person (I actually cater) I perceive that you and your confused friend’s disdain for tradition is actually coming from a place of inadequacy(which you feel), while masking it, albeit unsuccessfully, with your ‘concerns’ for the modern woman’s rights.

• InCotonou April 3, 2013 at 9:38 am

What question? Go on, ask. i can assure you, it would not be something that I haven’t heard before!

• Ore April 2, 2013 at 6:31 pm

Cooking utensils have been given as gifts for a long time and I believe are general enough. I’m pretty sure that even with your dislike for cooking, you still boil things and occasionally prepare some dishes that require cooking (even if its oats! Come on!) As such, I would expect that you wouldn’t mind people giving you the utensils you would have other wised paid for with your money (which is what most people do with wedding gifts).

The mortar and pestle are not objects of slavery. They were and are used to prepare Nigerian delicacies. In fact, we now see more men taking u the role of pounding because of how tasking it can be.

I think you just need to get over yourself, stop being unnecessarily feminist and enjoy the picture.

• Zara April 3, 2013 at 2:11 am

So, because you’re a terrible cook, other women like myself who are terrific cooks shouldn’t accept mortar and pestle as gifts? *Hiss* Obviously being a terrible cook makes you feel less of a woman because if it doesn’t then you wouldn’t have bothered making your above comment.

• InCotonou April 2, 2013 at 5:19 pm

Just before anyone leaps on this to claim that I am against mortars because they are not “modern”, let me just add that I also do not want blenders, of microwave ovens or any ktchen utensil for that matter. Lingerie and chocolates are welcome!

• Mz Socially Awkward… April 3, 2013 at 9:44 am

*shocked face* What?? No, you must never accept the offensive sub-context of having to receive lingerie froma anyone as your bridal shower gift. Can’t you see what they’re implying? That you should be a sex-slave to your man??? WHY??? *feel free to insert sarcasm here while I quote some of your own words:-
      Y Somebody having the effontry to give you lingerie??? Imagine the

• Mz Socially Awkward… April 3, 2013 at 10:09 am

Obviously hit the “post” button prematurely while still typing/editing my comment but hopefully @InCotunou, you get my point.

Why should we rail against one concept of modern female slavery and yet continue embracing another? The continued success of the female undergament industry is based on the one idea it sells to women – “Be desirable to your man by looking sexy”. If you perceive a mortar & pestle as being a holdover of female subjugation, I would expect you to hold the same view regarding the gift of lingerie.

On the flip side of that argument, a woman may receive a mortar & pestle joyfully because she loves to cook and wants to prepare the best meals for her husband or even for herself and I wouldn’t question that, just in the same way I wouldn’t question your own request for lingerie and chocolates as gifts for your own unique reasons.

• Aibee April 3, 2013 at 1:06 pm

BN oh, where is the like button when you need it? Hugs from me to Mz Socially Awkward

As for Confused and In Cotounou and your fellow “Beijing Convention” women, if you think you are too big, too emancipated, too educated, too lioberated, too anything to cook for your man, good for you. But please, do not look down on the women who actually enjoy cooking for and feeding their families. You are not in any way better than them. And the fact that they cook for their husbands doesn’t make them slaves.

• Hear April 4, 2013 at 6:48 pm

Ms Aibee, what has Beijing convention got to do with this conversation? Simply state your point and leave matters you obviously know nothing about!

• NikkiSho April 2, 2013 at 5:45 pm

I like it!

• douby April 2, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Na wa oh, some people need to read proverbs 31. I think there is no shame in being a domesticated woman. Its equally a lot of work. Like someone said mortar is just a kitchen equipment.

• InCotonou April 3, 2013 at 9:40 am

• InCotonou April 3, 2013 at 9:49 am

Douby. Please don’t throw your Bible at me. Not everyone on this website is a Christian. For all you know, I could be Buddhist of Muslim.

• OmoMakun April 2, 2013 at 6:27 pm

This looked so real, like it was happening for real. I like the modern and traditional looks of the bridal shower. By the way there’s nothing demeaning about a mortar and pestle as a gift…gosh! It doesn’t even mean she has to use it. Left to me, I would use it as decoration in my house..lol!

• Lin April 2, 2013 at 7:47 pm

omg…iLove this. Very unique and exquisite.

• Adia April 2, 2013 at 8:22 pm

Aww look at Ejah from St. Gloria’s! She looks the same!!!!!

• kenyangirl April 2, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I am from Kenya and traditionally we give a wooden cooking spoon, clay pot and a woven basket no big deal it’s quite fun actually.

• www.thebanquethall.blogspot.com April 2, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Wow, I love the concept, it reflects culture in a modern form. thebanquethall.blogspot.com

• Tess April 2, 2013 at 10:27 pm

I love the African feel to the shower, its good to see a contemporary take on our culture…welldone Wedding Company!

• Akinnifesi olufemi April 3, 2013 at 8:04 am

I like tis, bridal shower is foreign, buh tis infusion make it ours. Take tis shoot anywhere in d world dis mortar and other african prop lands a seal of a made in naija.
    Buh if sm1 cud cal mortar and pestle derogatory
    and a symbol of slavery… And uv eva eaten real pounded made by anoda wowan, i tink such an individual is worth less dn a slave. Nice collections anyway

• Iphie April 3, 2013 at 9:33 am

lol

• d2 April 3, 2013 at 5:40 pm

at akinnifesi ..how can u say someone is worth less than a slave???? please check your words..there is absolutely no reason for such here….and u r supposed to be a woman..

• InCotonou April 3, 2013 at 9:36 am

Ladies, this is precisely what I was talking about. A person makes a comment, and people, instead of supplying an opposing argument, descend with personal attacks. Anyone can insult a person. It does not require education to do so. So @Specs, if you were so educated, you would be able to read and understand my comment. I did not say there was anything wrong with the photos. A person can view and admire a photo without delving further? Another person can dig deeper to understand the choices that we were made in compsoing the photograph, and decipher the underlying messages. Just because the first person decides to just appreciatze the beauty and move on, this does not remove the right for the second person to express their oponion. You can disagree, but descending into easy insults just means you cannot come up with any counter argument for disagreeing. Infact, you only disagree because you do not like what the person has to say, it does not fit into your view of the world, and by extension, you hate the persona and abuse them.

And contrary to your comment, I did not say anything about disdaining tradition. It has it’s place, but it is a human institution and can be questioned. Progress if only made when we can freely question the way we used to do things, otherwise. I’m sure that even you would agree that some traditions have been abandoned, as we do not live identical lives to those of our great grand parents. It used to be that girls were not allowed to go to school in some parts. You may agree with this or not. But just because you agree with this particular tradition, it does not mean that everyone mst agree with you.

And last but not least, I actually did enjoy the pictures. i thoughtthey were beautiful. But I also reflected on the choice of the mortar and pestle and Agreed with Confused’s comments. So you see, it is entirely possible to admire something and STILL reflect on ot. As a modern, educated woman that you claim to be, you should be able to do that!

• d2 April 3, 2013 at 5:45 pm

incotonou? please why r u bothering yourself with replying. me too i do not get the indirect insults some of these shemales are trying to aim at you…..i have noticed that some of these BN readers are voltrons defenders of the universe. if you so much disagree with them about something which is in contract from their own way of thinking, they would delve at u like a pack of wolves….to each her own…make your comment and leave. no need to explain or justify yourself…if they want to pound yams for theirs and their own, so be it..if you would rather eat out or have someone else pound your yam, shikena…everyone cannot be the same can we?

• Naija talk April 4, 2013 at 12:58 am

Your rant directed at Ms. Specs is unwarranted. I read her comments and she did not insult you. She only said “she perceives” your disdain for tradition is coming from a place of inadequacy blah blah blah. That’s also an opinion. She did not present it as fact.
      So read the comment and move on too…. and if you choose to respond, then let your response be appropriately directed.

• Peachy_mo April 3, 2013 at 9:57 am

Please o! gimme mortar & pestle! adogan! koko-rin, agbari ojukun, omorogun, Omo olo (stone mortar) please o! I work my 9-5, 5-days a week and go down low traditionally for my Fiance (who by the way only eat what I cook) on weekends and if we have to do the formal bow tie event, I no dey carry last. I do not know about the twisted “confused & Ore” who thinks women modernization is away from the kitchen…(it is in fact in the kitchen) I AM AN EPITOME of WOMANHOOD, both modern and traditional. I pity that your partner who “doesn’t mind” that you are terrible in the kitchen. Wait till he eats the efo-riro & mortar pounded yam of Sikiratu Olobe loloko then you will know. Pschew! nonsense! What values were imbibed in you anyway? Even my sisters in UK and USA have mortars & pestles or can you be more modern than the inventor of modernization? …..Geez! I am so angry I have seam coming form my ears. Abeg make I sign out before I begin to cuss….

• InCotonou April 3, 2013 at 1:05 pm

@Peachy. Why must everybody like what you like for you to feel happy? Do you seriously think that the hordes of married men out there who are unfaithful to their wives is because the wives cannot cook? This has not been my experience. I have seen men be unfaithful to fat women, slim women, women who could cook up a storm, women who could not cook etc… You like mortar and pestle. good for you. I don’t like it, so what, I should be run over by a car? Who are you to decide for me? We complain everyday about how our societies are unfair, about how only the powerful have a say or have their way, but in our daily lives, we are intolerant of opoinions that differ from ours. Modernization is not only about mortar and pestle, I agree. But modernisation is about choice. The whole point is that the modern women has more options that the previous generations, and for this we should be grateful, because people faught hard for this and some people even lost their lives. Freedom of choice is what is being discussed here. YOu have all the right to cook as much as you want. And I’m very sure that you enjoy it. Good for you. But please, don’t presume to tell me that I must love cooking too, or think that I will then feel frightened that my husband or partner will cheat on me because I don’t like cooking. Unless perhaps this is why you cook so much? Maybe deep down, you are just afraid that if you don’t, the guy will go lookelswhere? (Your logic, not mine. you brought it up!). If you truly feel that the only thing that can hold two people together in a genuine partnership is the fact the the women can cook like a pro, then to be honest, it’s your problem, not mine. Because I know differently!

• d2 April 3, 2013 at 5:50 pm

@peachy dont be surprised if your oga at the top is going down lower on sikiratu behind your back, even with all your 9 – 5 and going down low…how dare u insinuate someone else’s man will cheat because she cannot cook and when he tastes the food of another he will cheat on her…i worry for the way some of you think on this BN blog…

• kiva April 5, 2013 at 5:20 am

i must agree with incotonou, its not right to insinuate that you get cheated on by not knowing how to cook. but at the same time, people learn new things practically everyday, hence you could always learn how to cook no matter how little the knowledge. it gives u this inner joy of creating something. plus just as a tip concerning the mortar and pestle, did you know that when preparing sauce, pounding the pepper and onions makes it taste somewhat better than blending or even cutting?

• Shhh April 4, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Hian, who’s this one now? So your husband is faithful because of your cooking? Make I hear word

• Me2me April 3, 2013 at 9:58 am

All i see is waste waste waste.

• LadyB April 3, 2013 at 10:34 am

Lol, i luv reading the comments makes me laugh; but for the first time i so much enjoy this argument,had to put-in, there is always two side to a story, someone may support or against it. in most cases, wat we say reflects and defines who we r or wat we like or dislike. so ladies, yes! our option counts but let us learn hw to appropriate one n other.

• InCotonou April 3, 2013 at 1:11 pm

To all the Ladies here shouting about how they love tradition and how other people should shut up if they don’t agree, just a question; how many of you would like to be in polygamous marriage? This was a very widespread tradition in most African traditional societies. I wonder how many Ladies would be writing to give their unequivocal approval if this photoshoot had featured a polygamous marriage?

• Peachy_mo April 3, 2013 at 2:12 pm

but it doesn’t feature polygamous marriage so please stay on course. As much as we are all entitled to our opinion and don’t want people to comment either negatively or positively on them, then they are better unsaid. Different opinion will sometime make you see thing in a new/clearer/different perspective which can either appeal to you or disgust you. So if you say no to tradition, yes to modernization, another person says no to modernization, yes to tradition and the third person says a little of both, it is only natural that all parties will argue their stand logically or illogically but don’t expect anyone/everyone to subscribe to your school of thought when you haven’t clearly made a sound justification f or it.

P.S: no need to get worked up, friends will definitely know your kind of person and what to get you for your bridal shower…If they’ll surprise you with one that is…

• isoken April 3, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Ejah girl looking fab! Still looks d same from our St gloria’s days

• douby April 3, 2013 at 2:53 pm

This Madam in Cotonou has pepper body oh, you are not the only one that has an alternative view, and I don’t think anyone has attacked anyone directly. Everyones just airing their views which they are entitled to. Take it easy girl.

• d2 April 3, 2013 at 6:04 pm

i dont think she does..if u scroll up you would notice some comments..no names mentioned…directed at her indirectly…so its only fair she too airs her views……of which, i dnt know why i am defending incotonou like this o…i sabi you before????oya how much is my reward for sticking by you when all others did not see your point……………..fyi i looove to cook, and my man can eat for africa. besides that i was just brought up to learn to cook and my grandma used to send me to cook as punishment…. that said, i have never owned a mortar and pestle, ok i lie, i have, but the really small handy ones, not the yamkillers…hehehe

• anonymous April 3, 2013 at 4:02 pm

madam cotonou, are you a learner? pls go and sleep jor!! ur arguments are so wacky..u will kno wot marriage is later when ur partner(guess not ur husband yet) marries you and you cant’t cook for him, den u will kno say sex no be food…I so pity u ehn! u for keep ur terrible cooking skills away from dis site o ..tufia!

• d2 April 3, 2013 at 5:53 pm

who r u to pity another..please keep your comments clean…what does cooking skills have to do with being on BN….some people sha…..tufia too!!!

• InCotonou April 3, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Finally, we reach a point of agreement; that we can have different opinions without calling each other names. @Socially Awkward, I think you make a good point. And thanks for making a very solid counter argument without insulting anyone.

• Toke April 3, 2013 at 10:03 pm

i love incotonou and socially awakward. @Incotonou, ur points were being misconstrued by many, i cant help but think that i understand what you mean perfectly but the more you try to explain it, the more vexed they are. *even when you tried to use another example to clear yourself, you were again attacked* hope it’d make you feel better if you knew someone understands you (cos i do). @socially awakward, u have NOT a shallow mind. very well said. Ladies, personal experience, emotions, movies, books, music etc can make us as individuals view things in as many ways as we can. incotonou is clearly a woman who is passionate about *maybe gender inequality or barbaric traditions* but it’s just unfortunate that she used this medium to put her point across.

• kilipot April 3, 2013 at 10:32 pm

hmmm. see my naija sisters..so quick to judge and attack, I love to cook, I love food,Infact I am very domesticated, but if Incotonou says she can’t cook and can’t be bothered, I do not think she deserves to be attacked. Different strokes for different folks. Pls let us learn to respect each other, One does not have to always understand the next person’s opinion, beliefs or orientation, Let us just RESPECT-especially when no one is hurt or complaining.
    Even if there is a contrary opinion it should be communicated subtly. To each his own.

• Truth April 4, 2013 at 7:02 pm

I totally agree with you. Many Nigerian women are very judgmental, yet they claim to be Christians. Always quick to shout someone else down because they have different opinions, and these are wives and mothers. You are not better than the next woman because you cook better! I understand both sides to the argument because I bothered to read. I like mortar and pestle as gifts, but to those that don’t, it’s a matter of choice. All this chest thumping and derogatory comments are totally uncalled for.

• ibukungeorge April 4, 2013 at 7:07 am

&what is wrong with a mortar and pestle ?.smh.I love the pix

• atinuke April 5, 2013 at 6:43 pm

so funnympeople comment is making the piece senseless to me.aint feeling the bridal shower too cheap nad too over rated…am so confused as well,cos the message is derailed.why y`all ranting over unneccasary thingsef, not when we are entitiled to our OWN opinions.

• Sarah Adebayo April 5, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I so love this: TRUE AFRICAN… this is what I am talking about. the cloth, the pounding, the braids, it is true African culture. You go girl. Be proud of your heritage and culture

• Sarah Adebayo April 5, 2013 at 7:03 pm

To: All those who said they are confused or the images are derogatory, I think you lack sense of class. Why it has to be portrayed like slaves? DO THESE women look like slaves or some type of women who would be pounding yams all day? these women look descent, class, and I love thee fact that they embrace well their africanity. The bad news about some Africans especially women , is that the WHITE MEN have brain washed you so much that you become disrespectful of your own heritage and culture. I am a PH.D living in a beautiful house with my husband and children, all in college. I work for the United Nations, and I pound YAMS AND COOK in my huge kitchen every week end.. Does that make me slave? Be proud of your culture. The white men came and said your skin color was dark: You started bleaching, he said your hair was kinky: You started perming it and wearing wigs and weaves, he said : POLYGAMY IS BAD you accepted, he said to you legalized HOMOSEXUALITY THEN YOU ACCEPTED. When will Africa be PROUD..everything is imposed by the white man.. Now that a women who has a Mortar in her house or on a picture is derogatory it does not represent the educated, modern woMAN. I POUND YAMS, MY HUSBAND POUNDS YAMS, MY KIDS POUND YAMS, AND EVEN MY AMERICAN NEIGHBORS COME TO MY HOUSE TO POUND YAMS… NOW WE ARE ALL SLAVES.. RUBBISH AND NONESENSE.. YOU BLOODY FOOL.. EMBRACE YOUR HERITAGE WITH CLASS AND DIGNITY. THAT WOULD BE THE ONLY WAY THE WORLD WILL RESPECT US.

• say yes April 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

theres no such word as africanity

• Tolu O. April 8, 2013 at 10:08 am

Lolllll! Was about to say the same thing

Exactly what does “Africanity” mean??? I’m guessing its a new word you coined right?

Madam Adebayo, quit the mindless drivel, this is about feminism, not some idea drilled into our heads by “the white man” like you so eloquently put it, and since you are so educated Ma’am, might i suggest you read up on how women have been treated like second class citizens, degraded and exploited by men for centuries. “The Second Sex” by Simone de Beauvoir would be a good start. In the meantime you and your yam pounding family can move it to the left.

On another note, great argument guys! I’m very big on gender equality but I have to say i’m kinda torn on this one.

• Non April 5, 2013 at 7:09 pm

Lovely!x

• Anonymous April 5, 2013 at 7:30 pm

less is more…they sure look like they had fun..btwn tot it shld be more than five ladies/friends?
    nwayzzz I love bridal showers!
    ps: hmmm the cake, yummy!!

• really??? April 6, 2013 at 2:48 pm

i am really confused at confused comments…really?? i get married in a few months.. i am excited that i get massive cooking pots used for outdoor cookings (those three legged pots)from my gran back in d village..its very thotful of her…i may not b able to use them as i wud luv to, but its my rightful wedding gift from my gran….and it is definitely coming back to the UK with me. Even if it doesn’t serve its purpose to cook for a big crowd, it wud stil serve as decoration in my kitchen…ppl wud stil c it in my kitchen and help me appreciate my grandmother for me…..love her to bits…. its a very natural/traditional gift expected from a parent i will not b d one to discontinue dt tradition. She gave that to all her daughters including my cousin who is her first grand daughter…as her second grand daughter, i am accepting it wholeheartedly…..mama pls include mortar and pestle in my gifts….lol…they all have sentimental values…lol…

• Chipolina April 9, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Na wa o! Can we just look at the beautiful pics and move on? What’s with all these arguments?? If you don’t like mortar and pestle cos it makes you look like a slave, good for you o! If you like it cos makes you look like a queen, good for you too! There’s really no need for all the looooooong grammer, everyone’s opinion on a subject can’t be the same. So y’all should save yourselves the headache. As for The Wedding Company……..una well done o! Great job.

• Hot mama April 10, 2013 at 10:59 am

we all really need to respect each other’s views…really!!! and also pass ur msg across in a simple and polite manner…that u think morter and pestle means something to u in a social context doesnt mean it shud be put forward as such cos thts debatable and ure not likely to get favourable responses…i understood ur point @Incotonu when u said u cant cook so u dnt need one and i totally agree with u,cos why do u really need stuff u dont or wont use anyway…personally as “modernised” as I am i prefer pounding yam and some ingredients cos they taste better to me, so also i hate d instrument IRON and wud rather take my clothes to a dry cleaner to get that sorted out and see no reason why i shud get one….if she decides cooking isnt for her and affects her relationship in no way, then fine!! let her be….. plsss convey ur opinions across on a plain level biko and let each be respected.

• enitty April 11, 2013 at 3:02 pm

see argument against mortar and pestle ooooooooo i laugh in Spanish

• Seyi April 12, 2013 at 5:26 pm

I absolutely love this!

• Keji Dabiri April 14, 2013 at 6:06 am

This is just a traditional gift. Whether she uses it or not is not our business. Lovely concept I think!