Posted on Friday, April 26th, 2013 at 2:31 PM

By BellaNaija.com

Nigerian telecoms giant Glo has announced the judges for X Factor, the world’s biggest singing reality TV show, which the company has brought to Africa for the first time.

The judges are veteran singer Onyeka Onwenu and popular rapper Jude Abaga, widely known as M.I., from Nigeria and Reggie Rockstone, hip-life artiste from Ghana.

According to the Globacom representative, “the judges would be unveiled today at a ceremony in Lagos. Their first assignment will be to audition contestants who scaled the first audition held two weeks ago in Port Harcourt, Rivers State.

He revealed further that the final list of judges was arrived at after thorough screening and assessment of the pedigree of all the artistes earlier shortlisted for consideration for the assignment. “The X Factor is the number one singing reality TV show in the world and this is the first time it has come to Africa courtesy of Globacom. We therefore had to ensure that we selected judges who match the profile of the show and who will help deliver the objectives of the show.

Onwenu is a Nigerian stateswoman of music, art and culture. Generally regarded as Queen of Africa pop music, Onwenu is a highly experienced Nigerian singer, actress and politician. She made a mark in the music world with several hit tracks including ‘Tetanu n’Ula”, “One Love”, “Iyogogo”, “Peace” and “Wait for me” which she sang with Sunny Ade. In 2006 she won the African Movie Academy Award for Best Actress in a supporting role. She is currently the Chairperson of Imo State Council for Arts and Culture.

M.I, meaning Mr Incredible, is a Nigerian Hip hop artiste. He has won several awards including the MTV Africa Music Awards in 2009 and the City People Artiste of the Year 2012, and was nominated for BET 2010 Awards for the Best International Act Category. He rose to prominence in 2006, when his song “Crowd Mentality” became popular in his hometown Jos. He released his widely acclaimed debut album, Talk About It in December, 2008. M.I. is UN ambassador on drugs and crime.

Rockstone, whose original name was Reginald Osei, is credited as the pioneer of hip-life or Kasahara music in Ghana. He is internationally acclaimed, with several performances throughout West Africa, the UK, France, USA and Switzerland.
Since his exciting debut album, “Makaa Maka” in the early 1990s, he has shown longevity and maintained his grasp on the genre with successive albums such as “Me Na Me Kae”, “Me Ka” and “Last Show; and has also produced and managed several other young talents. He has won a Kora Award for his video “Ah” and has performed with international artistes like Shaggy and Beenieman. Reggie recently announced that he was switching from hip life to hip-hop with his hit song, “Peaches” featuring Sway.

We look forward to seeing the show on our screens. Glo X Factor will be hosted by the on air personality, Tolu “Toolz” Oniru.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , ,

• Custom Search
  • 19 Comments on “Meet Your Glo X Factor Judges! Nigerian Legend Onyeka Onwenu, Rapper Extraordinnaire M.I. & Ghana’s Reggie Rockstone”

Comments
    • NIKS April 26, 2013 at 2:54 PM

and wat does reggie know abt music????

• Karela April 26, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Something you don’t know about….he pioneered the “hip-life” genre in Ghana. Read up on him (advice)..

• Molly April 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM

what do you know about music??? hisss!

• Hurperyermie April 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM

am good with Onyeka hmmm MI not bad but i dont knw much abt reggie

• me 2 April 27, 2013 at 11:32 AM

someone just wrote something short that says it all. Read about him, he’s a living legend.
        And about MI.. The guy knows music no doubt. listen to music.

• solange April 26, 2013 at 3:13 PM

I luv them!!x-factor all d way….

• Peachy_mo April 26, 2013 at 3:29 PM

Bella Naija, this is the second time I am telling you to always format your font size and type when you copy and paste! haba (I like you too much for this error o!)

@Niks: Same think other genres know about music

• brendz April 26, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I am soooo chuffed Onyeka is part of the Judges. I was telling my hubby the other day that she should be on X-factor in particular…..whooop whooop

• chezi April 26, 2013 at 4:37 PM

Onwenu deserves it!!..

• me April 26, 2013 at 5:15 PM

And what happened to ‘Glo Naija sings’?

• goldfinch April 26, 2013 at 7:13 PM

good question

• Concerned April 26, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Wow, that’s a great team of judges. Reggie Rockstone is the father and inventor of hiplife. He actually coined the word hiplife from his fusion of hip-hop and highlife. Reggie is to this new genre of music we enjoy in Africa especially in Nigeria what Curtis Blow is to rap . It sad they both don’t get their deserved respect for what their contribution to music.

• Concerned April 26, 2013 at 6:23 PM

sorry for the “typo” – Its sad they both don’t get their deserved respect for their contribution to music.

• toluh April 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM

and why is MI on the list? what happened to the likes of Dare,Dede etc

• NNENNE April 28, 2013 at 4:16 AM

Onyeka Onwenu rocks!!!!!!!!

• precious April 29, 2013 at 3:29 PM

my candid opinion MI shouldnt be there coz its not rap contest,its a singing reality tv show,wat does a rapper know he would judge? we ve good musicians in nigeria dat would been chosen like 2face,dare art alade,even banky W etc…………..dats just my personal opinion sha……………

• Mc April 30, 2013 at 3:05 AM

@precious,go and read about Glo xfactor very well its all about music(singing and rapping)…You guys did well in selecting judges,i Love them all

• enigma May 27, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I just auditioned for this glo xfactor eish yesterday, there were white judges there, i was even hoping to see m.i, onyeka and reggie, but none of them showed, the judges there where so mean and unfair, immediately u open ur mouth they yell NEXT or GETOUT or MUSIC IS NOT FOR YOU JUST QUIT!! Meanwhile they are not even listening to you, they were making calls and talking to each other while people were singing their throats dry, i did’nt get a fair audition and i HATE glo for that, i regret spending money on transport and buying glo sims at the venue!

• Fenzy June 4, 2013 at 4:22 PM

X (factor) mi is my (extractor) dis guy is a (raptractor) choc boi and (vector) check out my (mentor) u saved my life u r a (rockstar) buye my song and my (allstar) fenzy 2 fresh no (scar) lets talk about (swag) grin white grin that naija(flag) awsome dud buye my (lyric) but pls wait a (munite) feel me cus i (did it) any bad comment – u