It’s as Easy as 1, 2, 3! Check Out what you Need to Know About Clear Skin

How to get Clean Pores - BellaNaija - July2013It’s happened again. Your face has been bombarded with acne and you don’t know what to do about it. Well, the good news is you have BN Beauty to let you in on all you need to know about dealing with acne and dirty pores.

So what are the things you have to know?

1. First of all, rumor has it that acne isn’t caused by dirt. According to Dr. Howard Murad, blackheads are not caused by dirt build up but in reality are caused by oxidization {click here for to watch the video}. This is the same thing that happens to an apple when you bite it and leave it open – it starts to turn brown.

Oxidization is basically when oxygen mixes with electrons present in the air and gets on to your skin.

2. There is no certified negative ingredient in exfoliating scrubs. However some of the best ingredients for treating acne that should be present in any scrub are salicylic, glycolic and lactic acids.

These acids are commonly used in fungicides and help clear the oxidized agents from your face.

3. Never pick at your black heads. If you absolutely need to get them out, use a warm compress or a bowl of hot water.

Place your face over the bowl and bring it close to the water. Then, cover your head over the bowl with a thick cloth and stay there for a while. Make sure the entire bowl and head are covered. This helps you sweat which in turn releases the oxidized substances and makes your skin a lot softer. This would then make your skin soft and easy to extract black or white heads from.

If you are not comfortable with this then you can dip a face cloth in a bowl of hot water, leave it to cool off a little, and place over your face. This serves the same purpose as the warm compress.

4. You get new skin every month so if you want to get a facial peel, you should do this monthly.

5. Pores do not open and close. There are however some circumstances that lead to having larger pores like different skin procedures, age and sex (men have larger pores than women).

Now that you have that in your think tank. Here are some easy tips to help you clear your pores and be that much closer to healthy skin.

Always Wash your Face
We have all had those days – You get home tired and sleepy then you manage to change into your pyjamas. As you get to the bed and rub your eyes, you realize your make up is still on. Then you go “One night wont kill me, Ill exfoliate in the morning“. I have definitely had those.

It is never good to leave your makeup on while you sleep. The makeup you have had on all day would end up irritating your skin and clogging your pores thus worsening your skin’s state.

Use a Mask
Using a mask is a great way to clear the skin’s pores. They usually come in a gel or paste and are applied directly to the face and left to dry. As the mask dries, it hardens and takes a lot of the dirt etc from the pores leaving your skin clearer.

In the case where you don’t have a mask, there is a simple DIY with lemons and honey that can do the same job. The lemon juice is a great exfoilaint for your skin and helps brighten it while the honey is an anti bacterial agent that helps cleanse the skin.

Get 2 spoons of honey and mix it with half a lemon. Then apply the mixture to the skin and leave it on for 5 minutes, then rinse off. You can also apply the honey directly to the lemon and use it as a handy facial scrub on your face.

Exfoliate
This is another great way to get rid of dirty pores. Use a good exfoliant that has salycilic acid, glycolic or lactic acid to wash your face and lift all that dirt and oil from your skin.

Exfoliate often but not too much that you begin to irritate your skin. However, if this happens, be sure to use a moisturizer to get some moisture back in your skin and fix all the dryness and irritation.

Cleanse
Always cleanse your skin. Cleansing penetrates deep into your pores, lifting and removing impurities while nourishing and softening the skin. You can decide to cleanse twice a week or everyday, it depends on your skin type and personal preference.

For those who would rather use a natural mixture to get rid of clogged pores, you can achieve that using plain yogurt, honey and olive oil. Mix 2 tablespoons of plain yogurt, 1 tablespoon of honey and 1 of olive oil and mix together until it turns into a fine paste.

Apply the mixture to your face, making sure you avoid the sensitive areas like under your eyes and leave on for 15-20 minutes. Then wash off with warm water.

See a Dermatoligist
Sometimes it is just better to let the professionals do their job. You can make an appointment with a legitimate dermatologist for periodic skin treatments.

Check out the video below from BellaSugar on some great tips to help with clearing your skin.

Remember that patience is key and results may vary. Be sure to get a skin care regimen that suits your skin. Have any clear skin advice others can benefit from? Don’t forget to share them with us.

Photo Credit: Lifemartini

31 Comments on It’s as Easy as 1, 2, 3! Check Out what you Need to Know About Clear Skin
  • Hurperyermie August 28, 2013 at 12:46 pm

i have hat problem and u need to see my face right now it is covered with something like enczema and the funniest thing is that i only have it on my face i have used scrubs and facial wash, av taken drugs to the point that a doctor adviced me to stop so that i wont have cancer but it is increasing i even used biocoten of recent it is now worse that i can’t raise my head if i want to talk to anybody cos am so ashamed of my face now am using fusin and washing my face with tetmosol and applying skineal, i wish i can be free one day sha

• ms lala August 28, 2013 at 1:21 pm

ALOE VERA….TRUST ME….THE RAW VERSION…TWICE A DAY AND IN 4WEEKS..no seriously i swear on Aloe Vera

• Grayce August 31, 2013 at 2:39 am

also moisturise your face with vitamin E…especially from cocoa butter and all

• Justsaying August 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

its also about what you eat. Stay away from sweets and chocolates and drink lotsss of water!

• Abiola August 28, 2013 at 1:33 pm

@yemi, try Vaseline (100naira) mixed with grinded sulfur(50naira)emi ojo in yoruba) trust me, the tin go disappear…i

• D’Mamma August 28, 2013 at 1:41 pm

HONEY and Lemon/lime is also very helpful. Honey alone works as well preferably Natural honey. The Lemon/lime helps fight the bacteria that cause acne,spots and the rest of them.

• Somebody.. August 28, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Early morning urine is d best solution.. Trust me.,

• Hurperyermie August 28, 2013 at 2:08 pm

tanks buddies am very grateful in fact i will come for testimony if it clears

• flow August 28, 2013 at 2:31 pm

I have a huge stretch mark problem, n terrible dark feet n knucles, I’ve tried lemon n brown sugar on the dark patches and ori(sheabutter) on my stretchmarks, buh I am not getting results. I have heard of laser treatments for the stetchies buh I am still a student can’t afford that, I am super embarrased by my stretch marks especially, can’t wear anything above my knee, cant go swimming, or wear anything that will reveal my thigh. I would like to knw if there any other way to tackle these n get results cos I am loosing my once intact confidence cos of these skin disasters plaguing me. Anybody who has a solution should pleeeeeease help me!!!!

• Phoebe August 29, 2013 at 12:59 pm

Try using ‘Palmers cocoa butter lotion’.

• Laide August 29, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Try bio oil..it really works..you just have to be patient sha, but u will surely gt results. I am currently using it for those problems and I begin to see results

• B.I.T.C.H. babe in total control of herself August 29, 2013 at 1:24 pm

Im sorry my dear but there is no real treatment for stretch marks, it happens during puberty or when u lose excessive weight or gain excessive amount of weight. You need to hydrate more, buy good moisturisers, stay away from lightening products and be religious with shea butter(ori) with time they will fade meaning the appearance will improve but not disappear. Please do not buy over the counter products that claim to rid stretch marks, they just make it worse and company get rich. Many say Bio oil works, u could try it but shea butter with some coconut oil helps alot.

• shekinah February 11, 2014 at 2:08 pm

hey flow. i had the same problems. i had dark long bumpy stretch marks the back of my knee, inner thighs, hips, breast and one arm. im slightly light skinned so it was really embarrassing. i decided to try using riffi mitt (hard sponge), unprocessed shea butter and bio oil. make sure you scrub well with the hard sponge then massage it with shea butter then bio oil. trust me it works! i can wear short dresses now. it will fade the stretch marks.

• Flora August 28, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I have mosquito spots on my legs and I have been using bio oil for a while now but there hasn’t been any changes. Please help :(

• Proud Osogbo Chick August 28, 2013 at 3:45 pm

@ flora i use makeup to cover the spots on my leg #YW

• jennietobbie August 28, 2013 at 4:53 pm

lemon and honey– check check!!

• fiest August 28, 2013 at 5:17 pm

@ flow use this. it worked wonders for me cos i used to have black stretchmarks now they are almost gone: coconut oil, olive oil, palmer’s cocobutter, shea butter, vitamin e capsules(break them open). i used the palmer’s cos i’ve always used it and i like the scent and it also makes it easy to rub. use this as you daily cream and you will see it work wonders.

• mimi August 29, 2013 at 1:05 am

i have bad acne. saw a dermatologist nd she recommended sebamed cleansing foam,mary kay 5 %benzoyl peroxide and retin-a. 3 years later.. am still having spots and back acne.

• Rose August 29, 2013 at 11:26 am

Stop using any mary kay product, use the sebmed facial and body wash, with Johnson Blackhead cleansing (night and morning), within 2weeks u will see a difference.

• COOKIESKIN August 29, 2013 at 7:33 am

Get cookieskin -2A960FA1

• lola August 29, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Lemon is my bestfriend. thank you very much.

• puke August 29, 2013 at 2:48 pm

im light-skined. wat do y’all think of aveeno product. cos i want to do all things aveeno.

• Cynthia August 29, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Hmmm, i will talk about aveeno soap and cleanser, cos I ve used it. It worked initially ok, but the effect faded out for me, It made me break out more after a while, gues my skin became irritated, cos the cleanser had SALICYLIC acid, guess I used too much.

• that gurl August 29, 2013 at 5:06 pm

How about Dr Murad

• mimi August 29, 2013 at 8:21 pm

@rose tanks…

• chicadimples August 30, 2013 at 8:01 am

Bella Naija do a post on dark under arm na pls… Biko guys
    help a sister….

• Non professional opinion February 11, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Try an apricot scrub, the type that you use dry to peel the skin. It worked like magic for me.

• folake August 30, 2013 at 10:21 am

Bella naija please do a apiece on how to get rid of dark knuckles especially the hands and toes thanks urgent…. I think your best bet is to go see a dermatologist and stick to a regime that works for you…. I love using body shop It works for me .. the only issue I have are the dark knuckles I have on my toes especially as a result of corns which I have managed to get rid of… please i need help on how to get rid of the dark knuckles cant wear slippers cos of this thanks

• nana September 7, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Hi Folake I have the same problem. Mine is worse cos the corn refuse to go.What did you use to get rid of the corn.

• ccc August 31, 2013 at 12:42 am

African black soap (I think it’s also called dudu osun) is actually pretty good at clearing up skin, too

• Abby October 21, 2013 at 4:59 pm

can anyone help with the contact of a good dermatologist in Lagos? please?