BN Beauty: What you Need to Know About Co-Washing your Hair

There are so many terms you have to understand when it comes to knowing how to take care of your hair. From “The Big chop” to “Co-washing”, you have to get down with the lingo to get to the real root of caring for your hair.

Speaking of co-washing, it wasn’t until late last year that I even knew that co-washing hair is gentler on hair than regular shampooing. Apparently co-washing, which means conditioner washing, helps your hair in ways that even you may not know.

Here are a couple of things you need to know about co-washing your hair.

1. Condition washing your hair simply means replacing your shampoo with conditioner and it can be done as regularly as you wash your hair. This is called a no-poo regime. However, a shampoo is needed every now and then to give your hair a good cleanse.

2. Conditioner washing is more gentle than regular shampooing. It minimizes colour damage and cuts down frizz with its hydrating formulas.

3. If you decide to make co-washing a regular part of your hair care regime, stay away from silicone. Most of the time, the ingredients that end in -cone are sublets of silicone and are very difficult to wash out of hair. They are usually synthetic additives and are not water-soluble which makes them difficult to dissolve and rinse out of your hair. This eventually ends up leaving build up in your hair.

4. You can over wash your hair when condition washing. If your hair starts to feel mushy or spongy, then step away from the conditioner.

5. You have to take the reaction of your scalp to the conditioner into consideration. If you have dermatitis (skin inflammation) it is best you stay away from constant conditioning as this could worsen your condition.

6. If you have oily hair, the conditioner could add more grease and oil to your hair leading to unnecessary build up. You can use the shampoo instead to remove some of that oil. The opposite applies to people with dry hair.

7. Take your environment into consideration. If you live, work or move around areas with a lot of dust and air pollution you may want to stay away from the conditioner. Conditioners tend to add to the dirt because they are oil based and attract and bind particles. A shampoo would help cleanse all the dirt out and then you can condition as a supplement.

8. If your hair is extra dry, then when you co-wash, seal in all that moisture with virgin oil, castor oil or coconut oil and leave it in to dry. This way you seal in the moisture in your hair strands and your hair slowly but surely starts to get all its moisture back.

Now, I know some of you may be wondering about how to co-wash your hair, so I found two videos on how you can get that done.

Watch beauty blogger and natural hair enthusiast Michelle B as she talks about co-washing and gives tips on how to co-wash your hair.

Our second video is from Nigerian beauty blogger Ropo Ogundemuren. She is using a different method of mixing the conditioner and virgin oil before applying to her hair.

If you have any tips on co-washing, do not forget to share them with us. Have a beautiful day.

Video Credit: Michelle B | Ropo Ogundemuren

Photo Credit: Naturalhairlovers.wordppress

12 Comments on BN Beauty: What you Need to Know About Co-Washing your Hair
  • Aibee September 2, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Hmm, as a natural hair chic, I know some conditioners are oil base while some are water based. You pick a conditioner based on what you need in your hair care regimen. I co-wash my hair all the time and only use an anti-dandruff shampoo once in 6 weeks. My hair is fuller and softer than it was before when I was using all sorts of shampoos. The trick is to stick to natural based products. You can’t go wrong with honey, eggs, olive oil, coconut oil, castor oil and green tea. And stay off the sulphates. They will kill your hair.

• goldfinch September 2, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I love co-washing my hair when I’m not wearing a weave which is usually during the summer and I do it once a week. I wash my hair all back gently rubbing the conditioner on my scalp and hair to avoid tangling because my hair tangles easily. I don’t squeeze it together like the way our mums used to wash our hair when we were younger……lol :)
    Then I leave in the conditioner while I continue bathing. Rinsing off the conditioner is usually the last thing I do in the shower.
    After co-washing, I oil it and style by scrunching my hair while it’s still wet or I let it dry then curl it with flexi rods/bendy rollers. This just makes my hair bounce and full. I love full hair :)
    Truth is, at first I didn’t see any use of it but later my hair started looking healthier and moisturised and people were also telling me this.

• BellaYankee September 3, 2013 at 12:00 am

I hardly like Jennifer’s articles on natural hair. They don’t sound experienced but textbook. Is yours natural Jennifer and do you look after it yourself?

• Berry Dakara September 3, 2013 at 12:56 pm

I don’t think she wrote it as a ‘Natural hair oriented’ article. There are a number of hair care practices that are used by both naturals and relaxeds (and those in between). You’ll notice the videos are of relaxed girls who cowash.

• Bee September 9, 2013 at 4:44 pm

You can co wash natural or relax hair.

• tracey September 3, 2013 at 12:17 am

is it advisable to co wash with yarn braids\wool braids still on your hair

• Aibee September 3, 2013 at 8:38 am

@Tracey, I think it depends on the type of yarn used to make the braid. Natural wool will tangle in your hair when wet, especially if your hair is natural. Acrylic/Synthetic wool is better for wool styles if your hair is natural. Meanwhile, if you co-wash or shampoo your hair whilst the wool is still in, I’d advise you let it dry properly before taking out the braids so it doesn’t get all tangled up.

• Anna@ antiseptic soap September 3, 2013 at 7:09 am

conditioner washing is always good for your hairs, I do it 3 time in a week and it gives smoothness and softness to my hairs

• Vivianne September 3, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Co-washing is great for curly hair. I however suggest that if you have a lot of build up on your scalp, you can co-wash every week and shampoo every 2 weeks with a sulphate free shampoo. If you are interested in learning mre about this with product recommendations,you can send me an email. In the meantime, please visit my beauty and fashion blog here: viviannesblog.wordpress.com.

• L.A Chick September 4, 2013 at 3:44 am

Natural hair journey is not an easy ride oh!! Thank God for Youtube :)

• peace September 4, 2013 at 5:07 pm

Pls help me with names of mosturizers , sulphate free shampoos that is highly recommended and popularly found in Lagos

• hair company September 28, 2013 at 1:40 pm

With a vast array of hair products for a variety of uses including shampoos, conditioners, styling products, brushes and accessories, Aveda has a very complete hair care range. Amongst their more popular products are the Aveda Smooth Infusion, Brilliant, Damage Remedy, Dry Remedy Moisturizing, Be Curly, Color Conserve, Control Paste, Pure Abundance, Sun care and Men Pure-formance collections