Ladi Delano ForbesThe last time we ran a story on Nigerian entrepreneur Ladi Delano on BellaNaija a lot of our female readers were quite curious about his eligibility for marriage. {See link here}. Fortunately, there’s so much more about Ladi that is beyond they mystique of his marital status. He is a go-getter and a business man who sees opportunities and goes for the jugular.

In the September 2013 edition of Forbes Africa, business and financial journalist, Abi Owolawi runs an extensive feature on Ladi Delano’s business acumen. The piece gives insight into Ladi’s background and how he worked his way to the top.

Here’s an excerpt from the report:

The path may have been well lit, but hardship lurked around the corner. In his student days, Delano found he suffered from mild dyslexia and deafness in one ear. Learning became more and more difficult and the idea of school waned. Despite this, with the help of extra lessons, Delano made it to a top university on a day he describes as glorious. The novelty soon wore off and academia became Delano’s nemesis. In his second year of a political science degree, he made up his mind. “It became quite clear that I didn’t have a passion for my course. I think that lead to me being easily distracted and that, ultimately, culminated in me thinking that rather than flogging a dead horse, it would make more sense to do something I was more comfortable with. There are two types of education and each form of education is equally as valuable. The academic approach to education is vital, no business can operate and be successful without those who have spent the time to understand the academic side of anything. However, that approach to education is not necessarily for everybody. And in my case it wasn’t. So, I decided to withdraw from university,” he says. Delano’s decision didn’t go down well at home, but there was no stopping him. At least university had planted the idea of becoming an entrepreneur.

In April 2012, Delano moved back to Nigeria—a country with 60% of the population under the age of 35 and a youth unemployment rate sitting at 43%. “I just love Nigeria… I want to provide jobs and help the youth develop themselves. It’s an honor to be able to contribute to the economy in this way,” he says. The first contribution will be made through a mining asset acquired in May. “We now have $100 million to spend on the asset in order to get it to production. We anticipate that the asset will be in production within the next year or so and we’re hoping that this will kickstart the mining revolution in Nigeria,” he says. “We recently advised Ladi on completing his first mining deal where he energetically drove the process and discussions with multiple stakeholders through to a successful outcome. Ladi is already focused on several opportunities and we see him doing very exciting things going forward,” says Raj Khatri, head of metals and mining for Macquarie Capital, Europe. From London, to Chicago, to China and West Africa; through vodka, mining and hotels; it has been a roller coaster ride for Ladi Delano in his first 31 years and you get the feeling he has only just got started.

To find out more about this super inspiring young man, you have to pick up a copy of the September edition of Forbes Africa.

91 Comments on “I Had an Idea, I Didn’t Have a Laptop” Young Nigerian Billionaire Ladi Delano Speaks to Forbes Africa in its September 2013 Edition
  • kemi September 19, 2013 at 1:17 pm

I love hard working, focused and intelligent men! Cos i am a workahollic myself!!! Is he SINGLE??? SMH for myself hehehe

• Que September 19, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Honeyyyyy m, there r many hardworking, focused n intelligent men trekking around CMS…why r u still single…haba!! #talktruebiko!

• kemi September 19, 2013 at 2:40 pm

lol pls where is CMS..lol i dont live in naija o hehehe .. its hard to find focused and responsible guys here in London .. its so annoying and i dont want to settle for less cos i deserve to be happy! i think i need to socialize more tho..i work too hard! that is my damn problem..i am a lawyer and practising law here is crazy!

• Que September 19, 2013 at 7:36 pm

Kemi i’m suspecting u o, u sound like an over-worked london lawyer I know…but she isn’t kemi or yoruba… r u guilty as suspected?? well CMS is a business hub in lagos. That said the hardworking, focused n intelligent men r also trekking round Peckham…so i ask again, #talktrue…what u rily lookin for? n what u like bout our man up here?… lol…ciao!

• Wadell September 24, 2013 at 6:14 pm

Kemz, we can be friends if you will not mind! Care for my contact?

• ToluA September 19, 2013 at 1:18 pm

IS HE SINGLE??? AHN AHN!!!

• Berry Dakara September 19, 2013 at 1:18 pm

MINING! Great idea!

I remember reading about all the natural resources we had in Nigeria while in primary and secondary school (not just crude oil), and I’ve been asking myself for the past year, “What happened to them? Coal, Iron Ore, Tin, etc.”

Great job! And he’s cute too! (I just had to throw that in there)

• X- Factor September 19, 2013 at 1:23 pm

wow!

• comments September 19, 2013 at 1:29 pm

Chineke God!! somebody call 911

• Lily September 19, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Nice one and God bless your hard work.
    all this BN girls are going to be scooping for your info now .. Poor guy!! you have just become public business through success.
    Be careful…. they are coming for you.. lol

• Chic September 19, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Well done Delano! Now I wonder if all those inquiring about his marital status would do so if he was a “successful wheelbarrow pusher in Lagos” and was featured as a small business entrepreneur

• oyin September 19, 2013 at 10:46 pm

laughing out loud.
      maybe they will still see potential! haha

• Mexi September 19, 2013 at 1:37 pm

He grew up abroad,dat kinda says it all.

• kiki September 19, 2013 at 1:38 pm

this is scam na… all his pictures they ll hide the left hand. ah ah

• chioma September 19, 2013 at 2:13 pm

U see u made me choke on my breakfast now am coughing profusely . :)

• Abike September 20, 2013 at 3:26 am

Pls what is wrong with the left hand? E bend? Lol

• Abby September 19, 2013 at 1:40 pm

very inspiring story.Lol at people asking his marital status, dating such a man can be challenging sometimes coz im sure girls are throwing themselves left right and center.

• Chic September 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm

Not to mention his very busy schedule and travels abroad which will leave him with very little time to spend with you. Anyway some will say that their LV and Gucci bags will keep them company lol

• slice September 19, 2013 at 6:36 pm

the no time part is the hard part. knowing you come second to all the money he’s trying to make is just hard on the self esteem

• Mariaah September 19, 2013 at 2:01 pm

I tell you!! These successful younger generation of business Men have little or no love life.. Some of them want to but can’t help it.

• CHIKA September 19, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Wow again, impressed,welldone!!!!!

• Akpeno September 19, 2013 at 2:00 pm

BN! BN BN! How many times did I call you? Wetin be d relationship status of dis guy? Yes una try to tell us wetin e dey do and how e take do am bravo! Buti d main tin wen babes dey ask, una no ansa!

Use ya detective skills and find out na? Abeg make we start hook up moves for the single babes oya ngwa action! LMAO :p

• Mariaah September 19, 2013 at 2:07 pm

After reading about Ladi in the last article published about him here made me so proud. He may have a “cut through the knife” brit accent but to me he is Oladipupo !! :p

BTW, I have a feeling this guy is married. He is 31 years old and seems more like the serious minded type.

• chioma September 19, 2013 at 2:11 pm

No time wasting abi, gazillion of yall single hopefuls beat me to it with my question. BELLA NAIJA u too u should know the score by now, clearly 80% of your readers are single so please dont always wait till we ask that question “Is he Single”. You always know that question is coming like an avalanche so abeg just tell it already.

• chioma September 19, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Matter of fact BN from now on if u dont know their ststus and whether they are single or not then dont post anything. Its like you people are dangling carrots in rabbits faces. Its not fair sha.

• laide September 19, 2013 at 11:23 pm

lmaoooo..wow!..the stuggle is real…bn!..help us out
      na!

• Friday’s otherchild September 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm

It’s brilliant that he clearly made, and is making China work for him, we always hear so much of the reverse where Africa/African businesses are concerned.

• chioma September 19, 2013 at 2:29 pm

I suggest he goes under a poor disguise for a year or so to find a woman who truly loves him for him otherwise it is going to be extremely tough. Gold digging women is like a movement these days and especially in a nation like Nigeria. KGB, CIA, FBI dont got nothing on these women. If the US government had assignef these women to go find Osama Bin Laden, they coulda done so and easily in 30 days. We didn’t have to wait as long as we did. These women are fierce. :)

• Joyce September 19, 2013 at 3:11 pm

Chioma, Chioma, Chioma,how many times did I call you? If I get sacked from my job because of the laughter, you’ll be in serious trouble. I’ll hire those fierce single woment to go fish you out…, lol.

• Nollywoodgaga September 19, 2013 at 5:11 pm

You kill me ahahahahahaha

• jcsgrl September 19, 2013 at 2:34 pm

ha ha ha ha ha these comments are so funny. BN make una do detective skills naa. I don’t think he’s married though but I’m just feeling he might be interested in oyibo girls. Anyway, my nja girls are equal to the task. Now that he has landed Lagos, I trust Lasgidi gals not to disappoint he he he he.
    My guy well done o! A na m ekele

• Kenny September 19, 2013 at 2:35 pm

I love it when i see young Nigerians rise to the top out of their handwork, NOT 419. There’s nothing like working hard and be focused as a man, no matter how tough the road might seem like, with the help of God someday it will surely pay off trust me.

• natty September 19, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Dyslexia, deaf in one ear, dropped out of uni… Mehn !! I respect this dude!! his story shows with hard work you can overcome any adversity On a side note girls, I think he is engaged to be married in a few months .

• Kenny September 19, 2013 at 2:45 pm

There’s a lot of Nigerians who wants to come back home an invest, but the biggest concern we all face is the issue of security, lack of rule of law and accountability. If BN can tell us how this issue is been dealt with, that might encourage a lot of us. I know the government failed us all, security is the responsibility of the government, that is the least they can guarantee us. Everyday, i think about millions of Nigerians who are abroad like me, who wants to come back home and invest. If the Nigerian government do what they are suppose to do, trust me the unemployment issue, in Nigeria will drop tremendously, unfortunately, the Nigerian government is naive they only rely, in stealing the countries wealth and come abroad with their wives and families to shop and buy houses bc we lack accountability and the rule of law.

• Sunshine September 19, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Keep waiting for Bella Naija to give you security report, while the Ladi Delano’s of this world are making it in Nigeria despite the odds…

• Fine boy Ladi September 19, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Kai this Ladi guy na fine guy o!

• carphy September 19, 2013 at 2:51 pm

cute, business minded, focused and rich!!!! Baba God biko bless me! ***btw*** I dont think he is married, I Googled him and saw some pictures without a wedding band not that m interested thou ^_^

• Pretty September 19, 2013 at 3:01 pm

WHY YOU KAN GOOGLE AM

• Joyce September 19, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Talk true, if you r not interested, why google him? Don’t pretend….

• carphy September 19, 2013 at 3:10 pm

out of curiosity :)

• comments September 19, 2013 at 3:35 pm

curiosity ko curiosity ni

• Gorgeous September 19, 2013 at 3:31 pm

lmao. This guy must know he is a hot commodity and poor him is probably scared to death. Anyway i have a way of getting to know him. But if i am interested i will just let him “find me”. buhahahahha. It must suck for him to have this much money, e go paranoid die.

• Chuko September 19, 2013 at 3:38 pm

girls are not smiling oh!

• Annie September 19, 2013 at 3:43 pm

is this hottie single?just to know sha….though it wont make any difference

• hmmmmmmm September 19, 2013 at 3:57 pm

LMAO @ the comments. They make the single ladies on BN sound like hungry lions seeking a rich guy to devour….biko lets all calm down LOL

• IshallMarry2014-IJN September 19, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I am going to reveal my secret to you guys (am revealing only a FEW for now – see how it goes). Places to find eligible men is not only church. Definitely not a CLUB (absolute no no). If you live in abroad Try these places (I dont live in Nigeria so i dont know for there)
    -Home Depot (DIY store) – always look clueless and lost in that aisle he is on, he will ask if you need help.
    Law Libraries
    Architect Libraries
    Barnes and Noble
    Art Galleries
    Always Fly 1st class (You have to use fish to catch fish so save your money for ticket) and try and get in the VIP Lounge, as you sit and wait for your plane to take off, Economy will not do.
    My all time favourite is Conferences (specific conferences)

• Mz Socially Awkward… September 19, 2013 at 4:31 pm

Bwuahahahahahahaha!!!! And @Concerned_Boyfriend’s response below made me laugh harder… but I like the method to your madness, it’s very proactive and not too many girls would have considered the benefits of buying 1st class tickets as “using fish to catch fish” … :-D

• B September 19, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Who is this?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Lwkmddddddd! Chai! Babes are NOT smiling

Ezigbo save money for 1st class

• Mariaah September 30, 2013 at 11:25 am

Just negodu!! What??!! I agree though… :) In Nigeria nko??

• Concerned_Boyfriend September 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm

@IShallMarry2014-IJN..Thanks for handing over the blue print to “runs” girls. Now you’ve just messed it up for all of us.

• Yeye dey smell September 19, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Funny how no girl is asking how can I contribute to the success of his business, how can I get employed in a company with an owner that has a vision like this. Like working for Bill Gates or even Mark Zuckerberg. You girls are asking if he is single. Thief thief. You don’t want to contribute. You just want to take take. If your Papa get money sef, in a way you will contribute because money jam money = more money. Shaking my head. keep asking, because you think his type will be on BN dropping comments, or if you know his status your type will snag him. Mschew. I laugh in Spanish. Thank goodness for the anonymity of the internet. Your disgrace has no face. The guy and those that know him if they read this will just be laughing their heads off. Materialistic 9ja girls. Una no dey tire. Many inspirational young men doing business have featured on BN, no one asked if they were single. Even the nominees of Future Awards video posted 2 days ago, not up to 10 comments. Una see big fish, sharply you are asking if he is single. As for @Imustmarry2014. Keep stalking those places. Trust me, the men that go there can sniff out a barracuda faster than you can say Hello. They know those who belong there by virtue of upbringing, refinement and class and those who are husband hunting. You will do girlfriend so tey, they will dump you and marry one of their own.

• Mz Socially Awkward… September 19, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Bros abi Sis, no need to go there with your comments to @Imustmarry2014. You have no way of telling what kind of upbringing or refinement she has and anyway, why do you believe that whoever meets her, despite her methods, won’t be grateful that she sashayed into his own lonely life?

I understand your annoyance with the “is he single” questions but I think they were harmless fun. Many women on this page are blazing wide trails in their own careers – like you said, the internet just reduces us to faceless anonymity…

• Yeye dey smell September 19, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Sorry you missed my point. I was not talking to her per se but to the people she is advising. If you belong there by virtue of upbringing, interests and bla bla bla, you don’t need to stalk those places because you already go there or can I say belong there, husband matter won’t suddenly take you there. If you go for the sole purpose of husband hunting they can sniff you out. You brought up the topic of her level of refinement, ubringing and co and not me. But as you have brought it up now, I kinda have to ask if she really belongs there abi why hasn’t she been going before but now she is husband hunting she is now stalking those places. You brought it up o and not me.

As for your other comment. Oh really! Why don’t they ask these questions on other BN posts. Na big fish they are suddenly having harmless fun with. Oh please. Yeye dey smell. 9ja girls are very materialistic. At least someone like you now with your many sensible comments did not ask if he was single. Get my point?

• IshallMarry2014-IJN September 19, 2013 at 6:02 pm

Dont Get it twisted honey, I have a Bsc in Engineering and an MBA and I own my own successful business so dont think i am some razz chick with no brains or no job who just want a rich guy to buy me some brazilian weave and a iphone – I am NOT the one!!!!!. #WRONG!!!!!!! If you fickle mind think the only girls that want a successful or smart business minded man is razz girls from poor homes or girls with no goals or money, you got it wrong. We successful women want successful men too and We will use our brains. The places i listed is just 10%, you think am stupid to list everything. Hell No!!

(ps: We successful ones sometimes dont know if ppl love us for us, so we too sometimes we go under disguise too, whenyou see me sitting in the VIP lounge and start talking to me , I make you do all the talking and act clueless on most subjects, and show interest like tell me more, I am willing to learn. I dont know anything. I am also studying you sha. Everybody is vigilant these days. I worked hard to get to where I am, and equally I want not necessarily a RICH guy or Ready made, but a smart business minded dude who is a hard worker to match me – A guy with potential (Michelle Obama gave Potential a chance see where it got her). Above all Character is very important to me so i study character very well, i make you do most of the talking in the first few month or so. Let me tell you, dont get it twisted, I have attended many many NBMBAA conferences – before i graduated and after i graduated, and the biggest jerks i ever met were all Ivy League dudes who thought they were the cream of the crop so all girls should kiss up to them and their bad behaviour – so wearing your academic credentials on ones sleeves does not impress me – I dont wear mine on my sleeve. Entrepreneurial Guys Intelligent business minded guys is what is attractive to me, guys with great business ideas. See how this dude has turned his small business into a billion dollar company, he is smart business minded man, and if not him necessarily am sure he moves with colleagues who are just as smart. I will marry intelligence & smart over Ready Made Rich, any day, cos eventually Mr Intelligence & Smart becomes Rich in the long run, (and after hard work) and This gentleman just prooved it. For me Character & Potential is all i am looking for – being rich is a plus but not a neccesity. In that VIP lounge waiting for our plane to take off if your intellectual conversation tells me you are smart with excellent goals – we can definitely make it – i am very good at judgement of character. I listen very well when you speak. Bragging is a put off. Unassuming is attractive. They are many out there who have not necessarily made it on Fortune or have a feature on BN, those are the ones I am connecting with. Too much eyes dey for this one top.

• IshallMarry2014-IJN September 19, 2013 at 6:14 pm

The word “stalking” you used is very funny to me. So you think I am hiding in the aisles of these places and just like a jack in the box i just spring up Fiam Up in the air when i see potentials abi. You are extremely judgemental when you dont even know me – or any of these women on here making comments – your whole commentary is Extremely Judgemental. I could go back and forth with you, but I have decided from reading your comments, that for PEOPLE LIKE YOUR KIND, I will not give you the satisfaction, not worth it. Now, Keep talking.

• LL September 20, 2013 at 12:06 am

My dear abegi calm down! Nobody is quarreling with you!
      IshallMarry2014-IJN was just having fun with flow of comments
      compounded on this article. Your comments towards her was not
      called for! Loosen up a bit!

• madam dearest September 19, 2013 at 4:42 pm

lmao @ the lions looking for rich preys n if his single choi, most guys that worked hard for their cash and have big ideas and dreams always include a lady in it from the go, cause they know when they achieve all that it would be difficult to get a lady… at all at all they have someone they like but they are waiting for the right time to ask her out.
    naija babes !una hustle face dey bleed o!!. hahahahahahaha…….

• mama September 19, 2013 at 4:54 pm

so impressed…just got me thinking of a lot of kids in school who are challenged in one way or the other but get beaten or insulted for being olodos, ode, mumu and what not……i keep saying not everyone needs to go to university…….its because of a society like ours where so much emphasis is placed on paper qualifications that people don’t even get to discover what other talents they have…..if a child is not doing well at school, find out why then channel them where they can excel better……..thank God he was bold enough to stand up to his family and society, if not he would have ended up with a 3rd class or rustication and be branded failure for life……
    NB…..memo to all you oversabis, am not saying anyone who has a 3rd class has a problem oh, some ple no dey read…..its just that not every kid who does badly in academics is just not reading…..

• Kk September 19, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Curiosity my foot! Proper naija babe! Hard core even!

• TI September 19, 2013 at 5:27 pm

gosh can i just date this dude…LOL who has his number.

• http://africansweetheart.blogspot.co.uk/ September 19, 2013 at 5:53 pm
  • Love September 19, 2013 at 5:58 pm

Truly @yeye dey smell, You said the right thing. We ladies even with our level of education and exposure, we still act desperate. Don’t be surprise in Ladi’s case a girl stood by him when the chips were down, when he dropped out of sch, wen he suffered fm dyslexia, deafness and all that. So why can’t we “naija girls” stand beside ou’s and make them great like Ladi? Rather than “reap where you never sow”. Am just saying tho. forgive my typing error

• AA September 19, 2013 at 7:25 pm

You guys need to calm your titties down

• Akpeno September 19, 2013 at 7:52 pm

LMAO!

• ms sexy September 19, 2013 at 9:42 pm

OMG that must be Ladi himself
        hlollllllllllllllls

• Rooney Mara September 19, 2013 at 10:20 pm

LMAOOOO!!! Best comment so far!!!^^^^^^^

• Kemi September 19, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Ah ladi! Welcome sir lol!!!

• ibukungeorge September 19, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Rofl @you guys need to calm your tits down lol

• TRUTH September 19, 2013 at 10:46 pm

You voltrons are SO RATCHET!!

• hyu September 19, 2013 at 10:47 pm

Lmao, biko no make ñhs sack me…..good night.

• yostic September 20, 2013 at 1:01 am

Pathetic lot

• Truthful September 20, 2013 at 7:38 am

So much for women’s liberation.

• hello September 20, 2013 at 9:15 am

God o when would i make forbes list. me too i want to be great. i dont just want to marry a great man, infact im sure someone like delano wouldnt appeal to me cause most great men like gold digging whores. they never notice the girls who are willing to work hard for their money. God pls send me my man o so we can both work hard and make forbes list

• URCHMAN September 20, 2013 at 11:22 am

i love hard WORK AND I WISH TO BE BETTER THAN HIM

• UC nwa mama September 20, 2013 at 1:35 pm

….and Y have we shifted from the topic naaa?. Chei Delano…ndo ohhhhh. as my naija people will say”u don enta am”

• Radiant September 20, 2013 at 1:36 pm

The sense of humour of the folks that comment on BN is in a world of its own. :). It is always nice to read the comments except when they become personal or damn hateful.

• Née September 20, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Ladi is not married. He lives in park view and he is also a good Christian. Most of you girls just confirmed some of his fears about finding a chick that would love him for him.

• slice September 20, 2013 at 2:33 pm

thanks for narrowing down location and providing status info. now let me go fish him out with my “i don’t care about your money cindarella routine.” haha

• Que September 20, 2013 at 6:21 pm

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooollllllllllllllllllllll……O myyyy!!!!!

• Rhecks September 20, 2013 at 7:35 pm

Chai! Loooooooooooooooollllllllllll………..Dat’s all…

• xoxo September 20, 2013 at 10:16 pm

The comments here got me rotfl!! Girls are not smiling oo!!

• ibukungeorge September 21, 2013 at 12:25 am

Wow!A good Christian too?Now that’s a plus!

• hmmmmmmm September 23, 2013 at 4:58 pm

This article got me thinking about my life. Life is too short to live your life the way pple expect u to. the guy dropped outta school for God sake n still made it! Abeg baba God me sef must make am ooo! i’m not waiting for no rich dude to sweep me off my feet! wanna make my own money cos most of these rich guys are so bloody arrogant its irritating and horrifying

• i must make forbes list September 30, 2013 at 7:54 am

seems to make forbes list, u gatta drop out from school

• TA October 23, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Inspiring post!
    LOL! Ha! ha! ha! Oh dear Lord,how on earth did I miss this post? :-)

• London November 2, 2013 at 7:57 pm

Sorry to rain on you parade everyone. The guy is a fraud. He owes a lot of money to a lot of people…

• CC November 6, 2013 at 4:26 am

What do you mean?! Please go away with your speculations
      abeg

• edunwa November 10, 2013 at 6:05 am

kemi

• Peter November 15, 2013 at 6:54 am

Funny – when he was in Asia during 2013 he was looking to raise tiny amounts of money – doesn’t fit with this story – guess Forbes just needed something to write about?

• Confused Brother December 22, 2013 at 2:38 am

Beyonce releases an album; you’re all independent feminist seeking equal opportunity. You come on here and see a rich brother;you throw all that feminism out of the window, and you’re all a bunch of shameless, vile DESPERADOES! It’s disgraceful!

• WillieWillie December 22, 2013 at 2:46 am