Photos from the State Funeral Service for Celine Dion’s Husband Rene Angelil

Celine-Dion-Rene-Angelil-Funeral-January-2016-BellaNaija0009

Celine Dion laid her late husband Rene Angelil to rest yesterday, Friday 22nd of January at Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal, Canada.

She attended the funeral with her three children – Rene-Charles, 14, and five-year-old twins Nelson and Eddy – and they stood in front of the casket outside of the church for several minutes until the bells rung and it was placed in the hearse.

14-year-old Rene Charles gave an emotional eulogy at the ceremony. He said “Fifteen years is not a long time for a son to get to know his father. You had a busy life, but we were communicating through golf, hockey, poker, and smoked meat. And a lot of other wonderful food. Bonding more and more as time went by. You left me now with enough good memories of you to share with my younger brothers. As they grow older without you being around, I’ll make sure to pass on what I’ve learned from you. You are a tough act to follow, but with your help everything is going to be fine. Dad, I promise you here that we are all going to live up to your standards.”

See some photos below.

Celine-Dion-Rene-Angelil-Funeral-January-2016-BellaNaija0002 Celine-Dion-Rene-Angelil-Funeral-January-2016-BellaNaija0007 Celine-Dion-Rene-Angelil-Funeral-January-2016-BellaNaija0005 Celine-Dion-Rene-Angelil-Funeral-January-2016-BellaNaija0006 Celine-Dion-Rene-Angelil-Funeral-January-2016-BellaNaija0001 Celine-Dion-Rene-Angelil-Funeral-January-2016-BellaNaija0004 Celine-Dion-Rene-Angelil-Funeral-January-2016-BellaNaija0008 Celine-Dion-Rene-Angelil-Funeral-January-2016-BellaNaija0010 Celine-Dion-Rene-Angelil-Funeral-January-2016-BellaNaija0003

Photo Credit: Getty Images/Kate Hutchinson

39 Comments on Photos from the State Funeral Service for Celine Dion’s Husband Rene Angelil
  • xtsy January 23, 2016 at 12:44 pm

Dust to dust

• Dee January 23, 2016 at 12:53 pm

And the curtain closes marking an end to wat has been an incredible 20 years of marriage..Celine may the memories you both share grant you the courage to stay strong … It’s been a hard few weeks for you but Christ is your solid road….adieu Rene.

• Yaseer’s crush January 23, 2016 at 1:10 pm

That eulogy brought me to tears….ah was also 14 when I lost my dad(it was a hard time in our lives). Ur family are ur best allies and supporters….dnt be afraid to show dem ur weakness. May his soul rest in perfect peace.

• @edDREAMZ January 23, 2016 at 1:21 pm

a.k.a EDWIN CHINEDU AZUBUKO said…
    Rip to the dead….
    ***CURRENTLY IN JUPITER***

• FasholasLover January 23, 2016 at 1:27 pm

Father Lord forgive me o. Where is his first wife and children? Standard kwa? The freaking man was a bloody gambler. Money is good if you have it to squander. Celine sure indulged him. He discovered her, nurtured her yes, yes, yes l know. RIP Renee. Fine man

• Smh January 23, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Some things are totally unnecessary, ^^^ this is one of them.

Yes, he had a first and second wife before Celine but how do their attendance at his burial change anything ehn?

• Celeste January 24, 2016 at 1:30 am

Me, I’m not looking for his ex-wives, but his kids from those marriages. In my opinion, they’re his kids too and so deserve to walk with and stand in front of the casket of their late dad. I’m not in anyway underestimating her grief but Celine Dion and her kids are not his only family.

• Tina January 23, 2016 at 11:37 pm

FasholasLover, your better pray for forgiveness so that the hottest part of hell is not reserve for you. Even at a time like this you dare to judge and condemn, knowing that nobody is perfect and we will ALL die someday. Hypocrite.

• Fasholaslover January 24, 2016 at 12:22 pm

Aaaaaarrrrrrgh STFU! At a time like what? That the man does not have other children or what? I beg fall back with your sheep mentality.

• Bijou January 24, 2016 at 4:18 am

Can you just let the man rest in peace?

• Teal January 23, 2016 at 2:18 pm

The14yr-old son don even big pass the mama; shildren of nowadays and the fertilizer they eat sha.

• B.E January 23, 2016 at 3:00 pm

These photos melt my heart! Even though we know we’ll all pass on at some point, Funerals are never easy….,

Can’t imagine what she’s going through with 3 young kids

May his soul rest with the Lord in peace x

• Martha Ako January 23, 2016 at 3:19 pm

Sad.made me cry. God rest his soul

• Iris January 23, 2016 at 3:53 pm

She’s so gracious. I can’t believe that through her own grief she stood up for hours and accepted the condolences of fans. Many of those fans got to return home to a loving husband.

• Niyoola January 23, 2016 at 4:02 pm

She’s aged in this few days. The sorrow I etched on her face.
    God be with you and grant you strength.

• Bennie January 23, 2016 at 4:13 pm

So sad.May his soul rest in perfect peace, Amen

• Marie Antoinette January 23, 2016 at 4:13 pm

My heart truly goes out to this woman…to think she will go thru almost the same process for her bro in a few days is quite heart wrenching.

God bless the souls of all the faithful departed, amen.

• zinny January 23, 2016 at 4:57 pm

I lost mine last year June, my dad… so the pain is still fresh . I crys everywhere on remembering he’s no more. Fathers love is irreplaceable .I understand thecpain Celine…take heart..

• Carol Hodson January 23, 2016 at 5:03 pm

Celine yours and Rene Angelil was a truly magical love story. You have three very beautiful children in your love for them may you find peace. X

• Oba McMEFFY January 23, 2016 at 5:11 pm

May God give her the fortitude to bear his loss.

• Ada Bekee January 23, 2016 at 5:27 pm

A touching eulogy for sure! May God accept his soul and give them fortitude to bear the loss, amen. Their kids are so handsome. The eldest looks all grown up.

• bruno January 23, 2016 at 5:32 pm

she has been through a lot this past couple of years. from her battle with infertility to her husband’s cancer and now death of her husband and her brother.
    so sad.
    celine u will pull thru. there is light at the end of the tunnel

• teewhycee January 23, 2016 at 5:59 pm

may his soul r.i.p….her son is cute for days

• baby v,, January 23, 2016 at 6:17 pm

i can c the pain n hurt in her hrt.
    my role model, legend and true love epitome take hrt, jus let ur hrt go on my dear. my prayers are wt u.

• Nelly January 23, 2016 at 6:18 pm

Bella Naija. As a born Québécois, who is also Nigerian. I want to correct you on something. Rénè Angèli didn’t have a state funeral. He had a “national” funeral. State Funerals are reserved for god-like politician, like Lavec et al. While a national funeral is a great honour, it is lesser that state funeral.Just something to consider.

• Nelly January 23, 2016 at 6:21 pm

And yes indeed it was very sad to see our very own la petite fille de Charlagmane AKA Celine suffer this great loss. She’ll be okay. She’s strong.

• John chizoba Vincent January 23, 2016 at 6:31 pm

Take heart, celine.

• Sandra January 23, 2016 at 7:00 pm

Celine Dion looks like a shadow of her self,can’t imagine what she’s going through right now,and I don’t wish that for anyone.
    May God comfort them at this time,is hard I know but they will be fine.

• ‘Diddie January 23, 2016 at 7:53 pm

May his soul rest in peace and God should comfort Celine and the family…
    However… Celine is still looking good

• Linda Dillon January 23, 2016 at 9:07 pm

So very sorry of your loss Celine. My husband and I were always huge fans of yours. I lost him to cancer 15 years ago. I can relate to your devastation, grief and sorrow you are experiencing right now. I asked for your song “My Heart Will Go On” to be played for his funeral. Because of your songs I still go on. Thank you for sharing your unbelievable voice and talent. You’ll never know how much your songs have helped me endure what my heart’s gone through these past year’s , without him. He was the love of my life, as Renee was to you. I pray for God to strengthen you and give you comfort for both the loss of your husband and your brother. God Bless You and your Boys. Peace and love be with you Celine.

• adelegirl January 25, 2016 at 10:05 am

Gosh, just shed a tear at this comment. May your heart keep going on strong Linda Dillon. Losing a loved one is never easy. Time doesn’t really heal the hurt – it just dulls it somewhat – it never stops hurting. I feel for you…

• Adaeze Writes January 23, 2016 at 9:33 pm

May his gentle soul continue to rest in God’s bosom. Amen. The first picture of Celine shows so much pain. May God grant her and her kids the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss. Amen.

• Vic January 24, 2016 at 5:08 am

The first picture tore my heart.that is the exact direction we look up to in our darkest moments.

• farouk mohammed January 24, 2016 at 5:40 am

May His Soul Rest In Perfect Peace and May She Bear The Pain of her brother’s Death
    forumspotz.ng

• Ada Nnewi January 24, 2016 at 8:22 am

The picture with her head on his coffin was heart breaking….May God comfort her and her boys…

• Black Coffee January 24, 2016 at 12:26 pm

May her husband and brother RIP in a better place. This is so sad. Those who are lucky and find true love still have to suffer the pain of loss eventually.

• Torkume G. January 25, 2016 at 12:21 am

Death is an inevitable end of humans. After it comes the judgement of God Almigthty. This loss should be a reminder to us that we too shall die when the time comes. Give ur life to JESUS Christ now. U will live with Him. Celine I feel what u are going through right now. May God console u and d kids. Look at God through Jesus pls.

• Miss Mo January 25, 2016 at 6:05 am

My heartfelt condolences to you Celine. Must be a terribly difficult time. I know you will stay strong for your boys. May the souls of your husband and brother rest in heaven. Praying for you and your family.

• coke January 25, 2016 at 9:10 am

Since you knew him that much, why were you not at the funeral?