11221951_10153625002478909_395022653168714008_nMy dear friends and colleagues, I have read and heard a lot that has been said about how my manner of interaction with some younger female writers within our literary commune has been quite inappropriate. With sincerity I accept responsibility for the hurt a writer’s excesses have caused you all. I wish to humbly seek a lasting healing for all affected and all concerned because it was not my intention to hurt anyone. I truly regret this. I am deepy sorry and I apologize without reservation to all affected. DO FORGIVE. Thank you all for reading and for your understanding.
Pa Ikhide
Denja Abdullahi, The President, ANA

These words are from published Nigerian poet, Chijioke Amu-Nnadi. The Facebook post was made after news broke yesterday with several young female writers recounting their various encounters with him.

The news first broke when a writer, Miracle Adebayo, came out on Facebook to narrate her encounter with Amu-Nnadi. She recounted how he kissed her against her will at the Ake Arts & Book Festival in 2014.

MiracleAdebayo Facebook Post

MiracleAdebayo Facebook Page 2

Another young lady, wrote of her experience with the poet, in a Blog post titled Of Kisses, of Sexual Predator, Of Chijioke Amu-Nnadi.

Mine didn’t start with poetry.

I didn’t know him beyond his name, his posts, on Facebook.

I was in Uganda for 2014 Writivism Literary Festival as the festival’s blog editor; he was there too, as a guest to hold a masterclass on poetry.

He checked in at midnight with Sadiq Dzukogi. I was working at a section of Ministers’ Village –the hotel we were lodged- dining hall when he arrived. Mukoma wa Thiong’o, Pa Ikhide, and Aaron Bady had arrived not long before and I’d gone to the reception to greet them so when Ssekandi – the festival’s official chauffeur – pulled into the driveway, I went out to see who else had come in.

As I greeted him and introduced myself, he hugged me. Then one of the minders  and I accompanied them upstairs to settle in. After we found their rooms, we all made to leave. I was going back to the ground floor to continue work; he offered to see me off a bit. When we got to the first floor (his room was on the third), we stopped to wrap up our chit chat. I didn’t see what happened next coming. It just did.

He cupped my face in his hands and kissed me.

I didn’t know what to do. I wasn’t even processing. I just said, “Goodnight,” turned around and walked back to where I was working. As I sat, it began to hit me. Chijioke-Amunnadi kissed me. He kissed me…he…kissed me? He f*ing kissed me?

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 09.07.54

Amu-Nnandi, is the author of four collections of poetry, the fire within, which won the 2002 ANA Gabriel Okara Prize for Poetry;pilgrim’s passage, shortlisted for the 2005 Nigeria Prize for Literature; and through the window of a sandcastle, winner of the 2013 ANA Poetry Prize, runner-up to the 2013 Nigeria Prize for Literature and winner of the 2014 Glenna Luschei African Poetry Book Prize.

The revelation has given rise to a lot of social commentary on Facebook.

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 06.10.24

Screen Shot 2016-01-19 at 06.10.45

Even more notable is the fact that poet, in his apology attributed his actions to “A writer’s excess”. Some people have hailed him for being a ‘man of courage’.

There’s a lot to be said for a society that makes excuses for bad behaviour.

The travails of a writer's excess?

The travails of a writer’s excess?

As always BellaNaija stands together with victims of sexual and domestic abuse. We hope that the scourge of abuse will end in our society. We also hope that justice will be served and the truth will come to light.

Please help by lifting the veil of silence. Speak up and seek help.  As a society, we should work together help victims.

78 Comments on Scandal Rocks Nigerian Literary World as Poet Chijioke Amu-Nnadi Apologizes Amidst Various Allegations of Sexual Assault By Young Writers
  • GetSeriousPeople January 19, 2016 at 5:28 pm

He kissed a girl who expected him not to, but he did and the girl was numb. She did not boldly condemn or shame the man. Body language is not enough, when you are being abused say something. We are becoming too righteous with our interpretation of motives. This man did not struggle with you or push himself against you. He kissed you. O hell, that was wrong but did you say a thing? Keep it to yourself. I have much respect for him for being man enough to face his shame and apologize. Let’s learn lessons, women don’t say, “I like that, do it some more.” Men only read their body language. what did you do, what did you say?

• Uberhaute looks January 19, 2016 at 6:43 pm

If you were to be in her position, what would you have done?… the way we all react to issues can be different so pls, don’t judge.
      I know how it feels like when you are being abused but you are numb, zombie-like cos you can’t believe it’s happening to you!

• Ifeyinwa Mic January 19, 2016 at 6:49 pm

You’re wrong. I’m at work now and can’t take the necessary time to respond. BRB

• halima January 19, 2016 at 7:50 pm

Tf? Let me tell you…some times you may not have the courage to respond immediately. It can be that hard. Don’t say what you don’t know. I’m sure she has gained the courage to come up and speak out. Just shut up if you don’t know what to type.

• Damilola January 19, 2016 at 8:03 pm

Get out of here, holier than thou” attitude. Initial reaction is a shocking, appalled, confused feeling of not knowing exactly how to respond, react initially. Maybe some women will slap the hell out of him immediately, but most human beings take it in first to process what just occured. Men are terrible at reading body language, whats on their mind is what they will accomplish. The most important part is, these women spoke up. I applaud them.

• Lola January 20, 2016 at 8:39 pm

Any sex can be terrible at reading body language (either male of female) and also the response of the girls is not out of place but we should be careful; is misread body language dt results in kissing someone who doesn’t like you sexual harrasment? While this man’s case may be more than because he seems to be serial kissing, the truth is that sometimes even when there is mutual feelings, things have evolved with one party having to take d lead and another acting coy and shy. Plus i’d like to ask if it was a lady that kissed some guys like this, would outrage be the general response? Bad, stupid and reckless behaviour should be condemned but not everything is sexual abuse or harassment. Just thinking out, I’m not saying the man in question here is a sexual predator or not, I wouldn’t know.

• Daisy January 19, 2016 at 9:20 pm

You’re so ignorant and pathetic! Let me educate you, one of the reactions to assault is numbness; because the victim is at that point shaken and confused, trying to process what just happened.
      It is not until there is a struggle before it becomes an assault and it is so wrong for you to say that he only kissed her! It is until he penetrates her and violently shoves her b4 she is justified to say she’s been violated??
      I also guess you do not know that assault has a huge psychological effect on the victim, she/he often feels shame and blames herself/himself which often hinders with how confrontational the victim can be.
      Read! Show some empathy! Think! And you might be alright.

• iba January 20, 2016 at 12:18 am

Our dear country, i swear i cant deal. Even with this apology, there are folks saying the man has done enough. the man has tried that the girls are not been honest. Can you imagine? How much more honesty can a gullible person need? How much more do you need Chijoke Amu to type before you realize he is truly guilty and sorry?

For Miracle and every girl he hurt against their will albeit a ‘small’ kiss. I say may your healing be complete. Miracle and for you, you are a brave brave soul for speaking out. Thanks for breaking the silence of shame. I love you girl for speaking out. God bless.

• A Very Angry Rufina January 20, 2016 at 10:26 am

Try and substitute that for the feeling of shame and inadequacy these girls have had to bear. TALENT DOES NOT MEAN CHARACTER!!!!

• Kanyin January 20, 2016 at 6:49 am

I always refrain from insulting people on social platforms like this but you mister is one very silly nitwit and most likely a sexual predator and that’s probably the excuse you tell your self when you force your self on unsuspecting individuals. Who made you a body language reader? How dare you say they encouraged it! Someone suddenly kisses you out of the blues. Someone you respect and didn’t expect it from. Of course you’ll be too shocked to process what just happened. Really??!!! You respect him for apologizing?! I’m soo done. I hope your children don’t fall victim to men like this. You’ll probably blame them for encouraging it. Smello like you! Nonsense.

• A Very Angry Rufina January 20, 2016 at 10:23 am

When someone takes over your body or even personal space without your permission or consent, it is equivalent to rape. You don’t have to be roughed up and forcefully penetrated to be raped. She was in shock… this is a man that is respected in literary circles, what should she have done? Slapped him then engaged in a verbal ‘He said, she said’ game? Would that not attract even more condemnation for HER, seeing that she is not the recognized or respected person.
      Think carefully!
      When I was younger, we had older friends who will fondle you for a quick second that you would think that you imagined it. If you spoke up, they would shame you or straight up call you a liar. She must have battled with herself whether to speak up or to stay quiet. IMAGINE CARRYING THAT BURDEN FOR AN ENTIRE YEAR???? Imagine if other ladies didn’t come out to speak against him; she would have been shut down immediately and branded a fame seeking opportunist.
      What would you do if I walked up to you, fondled your chest (as a girl) without your permission or grabbed your dick (as a guy)? Would your response still be as glib?

• Busarni January 19, 2016 at 5:31 pm

Olamide you see what you have caused; hot gists every where back to back this 2016.

• Bleed Blue January 20, 2016 at 2:15 pm

@Busarni sweetie’m, I get the humor you’re trying to infuse here, but sista’ biko this matter is too deep for that. It is serious. Way more serious than Olamide, Don Jazzy and their theatrics.

It’s really sad, however I like the fact that these issues are coming to the fore. I hope to goodness that one day there will be lasting justice for victims of sexual assault in this society.
      To be honest this man should be investigated for possible prosecution, and if found guilty, should face the corresponding punishment.

Nigerian Criminal Code – Part 5 – Ch 25 – S.252:
      “A person who strikes, TOUCHES, or moves, or otherwise applies force of any kind to, the person of another, either directly or indirectly, without his consent… is said to assault that other person, and the act is called an assault.”

• Busarni’s defense January 20, 2016 at 7:25 pm

Aproko tinz. Abeg go and face ya problems! The price of crude oil and its effect on the Naira are big problems. Go and face those ones and leave BN for us jokers. With back to back problems, you have no business on BN. Yimu!!

• busarni defense aka Busarni January 21, 2016 at 12:00 am

lol Busarni, na so d matter pain u that u came to defend yourself? Luk leave bleed blue and go & look for your fellow ranter like Ada Nnewi.

• Robin Hood January 19, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Men and -………………………………………this yer na wa oh!
    Guys be careful of this 2016. think with your brains and not your balls

• Jo January 19, 2016 at 5:42 pm

“With sincerity I accept responsibility for the hurt a writer’s excesses have caused you all.” Does kissing ladies without their consent constitute a writer’s excesses? And I thought it constituted sexual harassment.

• oludara.ogunbowale January 19, 2016 at 5:44 pm

I really do not care how successful a man or person is. Most of these people we know and are popular are actively involved in criminal acts like this…yes it is criminal..Its so sad.I pity the men in our generation…I cry for the kind of men we have around…a larger percentage though..hmm.We need men who are excellent both in career and character else they r all just losers and hypocrites!If u like be on forbes,…Its all false personality projection! Chijioke Amu-Nnadi when you do dirty,even you wont be able to stand yourself. For me apologies aren’t enough,ensuring you stop that kinda despicable act would be worth all the apologies…SMH

• Robust response, coming soon January 19, 2016 at 5:50 pm

Wow! Writer’s excess!!! Is that what they call it these days? Just wow. And some nincompoops like Ken Bena are hailing him? Wow. No wonder abuse thrives in Nigeria. Enablers everywhere!

This man NEEDS to apologize properly. No can do to this rubbish he calls an apology.

• whocares January 19, 2016 at 5:51 pm

How in gods’ name is this apology acceptable.. how does this make him “courageous?”.. Truly, people perish for lack of knowledge and sheer common sense. Let us dissect this excuse of an apology shall we? “you heard and read a lot”? I’m sorry brother were you having an out of body experience when you were shoving your tongue down people’s throat that others now have to tell you or you have to read about your own actions? “writer’s excesses?” burning the midnight candle to write better books, giving yourself muscle cramp or muscle pull in the course of self pleasure is an excess: shoving your tongue down other people’s throat is not. It is sexual abuse pure and simple. This man has a hell of a lot of nerves sha,. so excesses in your “manner of interaction”- (takes a deep and long breathe at this point.. you people will not kill me). Uncle, Sir, people do not interact on a daily basis by kissing unwilling participants.. “quite inappropriate”- No, your action is VASTLY inappropriate. What upsets me most about this is the lack of acceptance. He might parrot I accept responsibility from today to tomorrow but clearly he does not. He has worded his bullshit apology it in a way that seems to present his victims as fussy or making a mountain out of a mole hill and that is what the ladies have been saying about him. Sir, you have failed this one, go back to the drawing board and come up with a better apology you unrepentant goat.
    ps: I think that Ken baba dude was being sarcastic o. looooool.

• Thatgidigirl January 19, 2016 at 5:55 pm

Please what is this strange land which you speak of beyond the hills called “writer’s excess”? I believe auto correct removed the word “harassment” after the excess.

• Ehiwarior January 19, 2016 at 5:55 pm

We read his apology, he should go and do a change of name, what do expect when someone’s name is Amu Nnadi which means My father’s penis is able.

• Jeanne January 19, 2016 at 6:06 pm

How is he a man of courage because he apologized for sexually assaulting girls? I’m very confused.

• HerExcellence January 19, 2016 at 6:24 pm

…our very own Bill Cosby. Sorry girls,,,thank God it dinn’t go further than the kisses.
    But honestly, this happens a lot with older men…most are just plain dirty and nasty. They will always try-to see if u re game.
    lots of we ladies have experienced this at one point in our lives. I honestly don’t see what the ladies aim is tho….but if itwil make her feel better/heal, then to each her own.

• Uberhaute looks January 19, 2016 at 6:46 pm

You’ll be surprised we have more than enough of them here but because of over indulgence and we are in Africa if course, and female children are 3rd class citizens, we all look the other way

• D January 19, 2016 at 8:33 pm

Their aim is to help prevent it from happening to others, as one of them clearly said! At least now women will be wary around him and the man himself, maybe shame go catch am small. It’s important to speak out unless you are OK with a society in which young women are constantly assaulted by useless men in positions of influence or authority. It’s a traumatic experience for any female and it’s high time we started talking about it instead of accepting it, shrugging our shoulders and saying ‘honestly, this happens a lot’.

• ElessarisElendil January 20, 2016 at 1:55 am

So it didn’t go further than kisses and he’s “our very own Bill Cosby” you know the guy accused of drugging and raping women. How blinkered can you get?

• DD January 20, 2016 at 7:59 am

What he and Bill have in common is the pattern of using their position of influence to prey on young women, building trust in them by relating to them as a ‘mentor’, only to then take advantage of them. The extent may differ but the modus operandi is the same. Please don’t trivialize this guy’s assaults – he had no right to touch those women without their consent and he deserves every ounce of censure he gets.

• Toronto January 19, 2016 at 6:35 pm

Jeez ur tounge is a killer oh. You have finished this guy.

• Zandyzay January 19, 2016 at 6:56 pm

Hmmmm… my take is, ladies should learn to slap on impulse. I’m serious oooo… if these ladies landed him a hot slap I’m sure the issue to be discussed will be what made her slap an elder in africa…. the ‘elder’ sef no go fit talk wetin him do…. respected men my ass!

• January 19, 2016 at 6:57 pm

This reminds me of a lecturer at the University I graduated from, Adekunle Ajasin University : Henri -. It was my final year and I was on about my final year project, final exams etc. I was in his office to check on my grades, suddenly he locked the door but I didn’t even think of anything, then he grabbed my boobs. OMG! I screamed and ran out of his office. I reported him to the head of English department but they did nothing about it. Only my course mates believed me. I cursed him till I lost my breath but I’ll never forget this event and many more harassment that I’ve gone through as a girl-child. It’s a pity we live in a society that takes sexual harassment and abuse for granted. I feel really sorry for these young girls writing about their pain. After school, another incidence happened – it was a family member in the position to be my father… One day, I’ll write my story in full…

• ruby March 11, 2016 at 1:39 pm

Wow! Just seeing this and wondering why I didn’t hear of it back then. I knew some of those lecturers to be randy and uncouth, but never knew Henri to be one of them. I’m not surprised his colleagues covered up for him though, judging from the way they formed caucus (woe betides any lecturer from the same department that doesn’t belong to their group). I salute the ladies that were able to share their ordeals of sexual harassment. I truly hope something positive will come out of this.

• Mel January 19, 2016 at 7:18 pm

In all honesty it seems as if the placing of celebrities on a pedestal is not just an American problem There are people here who have made the who Bill Cosby thing about race (as if women were paid by “they” *Dj Khalead voice* to ruin the man). The premise that because a man is a celebrity or well known makes his abhorrent behavior ok is not only unacceptable, it is pure bull****. The reason most victims don’t come forward and speak about abuse in all forms is because of VICTIM SHAMING. It is a strategy lawyers have perfected in defense of their clients in such cases. There is no situation where it is ok to “assault’ another human being, there is no justification, and definitely no explanation. Having rumbled all that, it is never ok to support, defend or justify such behavior. It is a damned sad day when society curbs its moral compass based on the individual in question. It is even sadder still when people blame and make the affected individual feel even more violated. It’s hard enough dealing with one form of abuse without having to pile on more abuse.

• papermoon January 19, 2016 at 7:27 pm

hm, hm, hm, hhhhmmmmmmm

• halima January 19, 2016 at 7:46 pm

This is the kind of man that would lure girls into his trap with his writing skills. Just look at his damn apology. ‘Writer excess’ oh puhlease! I’m sure he makes them comfortable and also make them trust him before he strikes. I hate people like this! I’m so sure he speaks so well and behaves well in public. I know their type. I can’t be fooled. They will begin to act like a big brother or a father figure. Shiii! young girls be careful. Don’t be deceived.

• The girl who drinks kai kai January 19, 2016 at 8:06 pm

If i begin to write about how many Nigerian men have assaulted me , my brethren we go tay for this matter!
    From teachers, family friends, neighbours, bosses, clients @ work, teachers, lecturers,politicians, older classmates, pastors, priests. Luckily none of them got to have sex with me cos i used to kick them in the groin & flee!
    Its the most difficult thing in the world to be a woman & being female in Nigeria is even harder!

• hmm January 21, 2016 at 3:24 pm

Only you?! all these people… okay oo

• Nahum January 19, 2016 at 8:08 pm

When we condemn men for their bad behavior, people start attacking feminists. Are you now seeing a pattern? From a shameless married man publicly shaming his mistress to this Amu-Nnadi fellow. Nigerian men have a serious problem. No be insult, na true talk.

• Natu January 19, 2016 at 9:08 pm

@Nahum preach it!!! They will be attacking Natu and Co because we are feminists.

• Nahum January 19, 2016 at 10:34 pm

Don’t mind them dear. They are beginning to see what we saw all along

• TheRealist January 20, 2016 at 12:23 pm

@Nahum, tru dat… but also let’s not forget about housemaids who molest young boys or older (often married) women who take advantage of much younger dudes. While admittedly most predators are likely to be male, let’s understand that sexual abuse and harrassment is principally about power relationships rather than about gender!

• Natu January 20, 2016 at 2:11 pm

Ain’t nobody disputing the fact that boys do get molested. It ain’t a competition.

• Ada January 19, 2016 at 8:12 pm

Nigeria’s very own Bill Cosby.

• essieluckett January 19, 2016 at 10:36 pm

lol omalicha ada……. u so funny

• TheRealist January 20, 2016 at 4:26 pm

@Natu, abegi it is not by force to respond to things that you apparently do not comprehend.The limited point being made was that the principal dynamics in harrassment is POWER and not gender. SMDH

• Sugabelly January 19, 2016 at 8:26 pm

What is courageous about apologizing for sexually assaulting multiple women and abusing the power of your position?

The very least he owes them is an apology so I don’t understand why he’s being applauded for it. I mean is the line of thought “well, at least he didn’t accuse them of trying to use him to seek fame and wanting to write a novel and launch an NGO” so at least he has tried?

The bar for what is acceptable is set so low in Nigeria. I don’t know what type of country we are living in honestly.

And mark my words, even with admitting it, he will still get away with it, and nothing will happen. Watch and see.

• ElessarisElendil January 20, 2016 at 2:00 am

Get away with kissing women??? Come on let’s put away the pitchforks!

Society especially for people of his generation and even till now emphasises the guy must make the first move, that the woman must do initial gra-gra. Hell watch the old Hollywood and even some present Nollywood films, his actions don’t stray from the norm.

• D January 20, 2016 at 5:36 am

But that doesn’t make it OK….

• Bleed Blue January 20, 2016 at 2:31 pm

You’re typically a sensible one in the BN comments section but my goodness aren’t you just full of contrary opinions today?!!!!

You say “get away with kissing women” like it’s not a problem. What made you so desensitized to the fact that private space and body parts should NEVER be encroached without consent?

Could it be these “old Hollywood and present Nollywood” movies you speak of?
        Do they dictate how right thinking humans ought to behave?

My prayer is that if you ever have a daughter, and she comes crying to you that an elderly man has forcefully kissed her, you won’t tell her to run along to bed and suck it in. After-all it’s just kissing so why should you bring out your pitchfork to defend your daughter’s rights?

• Udegbunam Chukwudi January 19, 2016 at 8:40 pm

Hmmmm, would he have apologized if this was RAPE and not just kissing?

• Josephine January 19, 2016 at 8:48 pm

@The Girl Who Drinks Kai Kai, have one on me. My family friend and doctor fondled me, his “daughter” and pressed his erection into me in the name of a medical exam. I can feel these victims pain so well. And that Lola Shoneyin is quick to try and gag people from calling a spade a spade. Typical of a particular type of wickedness, apologist for a predator and disgrace to womanhood.

• lotus flower January 19, 2016 at 9:50 pm

Yes! Lola’s comment is so disappointing!

• nnenne January 19, 2016 at 11:45 pm

Parents have to teach their children at an early age. A lot of this happens in Nigeria and most times, no one speaks up.
    I believed the accuser when I read it yesterday.
    So brave of her to finally speak up.
    Am really disappointed in Mr. Nnamdi. Thank God he did not deny it.

• Lola Shoneyin January 20, 2016 at 1:56 am

I really do not understand Bella Naija’s motive in cropping the content of my Facebook post and publishing this little section which makes it seem as if I condone these horrific acts of molestation against women. While I understand their need to drive traffic to their blog, publishing posts which deliberately misrepresent my views on sexual abuse is rather low. Since yesterday, I have personally reached out to no less than three of the Amu-Nnadi’s victims.

My original post: “Horrified by some of the stuff I have read today. Just unbelievable!”

I found Kenechi’s comment on this same post this morning and didm;t fully understanding his reference to an apology. My question about ‘innocent girls’ was to determine whether some of the victims are indeed underage, as many have speculated. There is so much information flying around the responsible thing to do is to shun flippancy and urge caution when responding to this harrowing narrative that is still unfolding.

• Kanyin January 20, 2016 at 7:01 am

Thank you for this comment Lola.
      I actually concluded that you totally condoned his animalistic behavior and even tried to protect his already soiled reputation. I was really really disappointed.

I don’t know you personally but I admire you a lot and that would have just destroyed/totally wiped out my respect for you.

• Blessedheart January 20, 2016 at 9:52 am

BN, if this is true then it’s really unfair. I saw the comments above and was highly disappointed. Thanks for the clarification Lola Shoneyin.
      For those talking about it just being a kiss, it is a violation and sexual harassment and his ‘apology’ is quite insulting to the ladies and the general public. I hope we don’t allow this die down as it does when men of influence are involved.

• TheRealist January 20, 2016 at 12:29 pm

@Lola, sorry but it makes NO difference if the victims (or any of them) were underage – that’s a distinction of degree rather than of substance. Other than that, we are good (re the clarification).

• ElessarisElendil January 20, 2016 at 2:04 am

Okay so far in the comments section people have compare Mr Nnadi’s actions to Bill Cosby, a groper and a rapist. Tsk crucifying the wrong people will never bring about justice. He has apologised but let’s not turn his actions into a crime, they’re actual criminals to practice your SJW skills on.

• ElessarisElendil January 20, 2016 at 2:06 am

S/N. There’s a certain irony in his parents naming him “god hold nnadi’s big penis”…………Always something in the name ehh.

• Dee January 20, 2016 at 2:35 pm

Elessaris, YOU ARE ACTUALLY QUITE FOOLISH. I always suspected, and wasn’t 100% certain until today. Get well soon.

• Sugabelly January 20, 2016 at 3:05 am

Are you okay at all? His actions ARE a crime. Kissing someone against their consent is sexual assault or minor assault at the very least. I really hope you are functioning at 100% because you sound silly.

• D January 20, 2016 at 5:35 am

Umm, you do know that there are other forms of criminal indecent assault punishable by law besides rape? Even under Nigerian law. So it is a criminal offence (albeit a lesser crime – a misdemeanour) to assault a female (or male) in a sexual manner without their consent, even if there’s no rape. Of course such cases are rarely prosecuted in our society but depending on the facts of each case, it could certainly amount to criminal behaviour.

• californiabawlar January 20, 2016 at 6:21 am

He kissed a young lady forcefully because that’s how men of that generation approach women? hmmmn…I have heard it all. You will excuse anything….anything at all…..What a waste.

• Louiz January 20, 2016 at 2:50 am

I didn’t follow this story from its genesis but from what i have been able to read in an hour, from various Facebook accounts and blogs, i do have a fair idea of “the incident”.
    I am glad that this is coming to light and people are becoming aware. I pray God gives these abused young ladies the grace to heal any psychological wounds these may have caused.
    I applaud their bravery and i pray our society doesn’t turn on them in trying to sweep this under the “carpet of negligence”.
    It is important to note that this doesn’t just go on in the Literary society alone but also in faith circles, especially churches, fellowships and prayer circles. This so called “pastors” or “mentor” or “disciplers” coax, coerce and blackmail their female “mentees” or “disciples” into sexual acts and in some extreme cases some forms of slave worship ( I am talking BDSM). Annoyingly disturbing aspect of it is the lengths these “slaves” or “victims” go to protect these men. It is appalling and part that draws phlegm to your throat is the fact that it is prevalent in universities and institutions of higher learning.
    I was once told by a lady that almost every girl has a rape story. her statistics may be poor or ill gathered, but she made me understand that 9 out of 10 ladies above 21 have sexually abused at one point or more throughout their lives. It begs the question, Why is nobody reporting this? Why is nobody been prosecuted when it is been reported? What are the laws regarding abuse in Nigeria? How does one break free from a Bondage and Discipline, Dominance and Submission, Sadism and Masochism relationships?

As for Pa Chijoke, i was actually looking forward to the day i will meet you though i barely knew you. but suffice to say i have scratched that off bucket list, not that you are a bad person, every writer has his demons afterall, but for the mere fact that i want your demons to influence mine.

• Louiz January 20, 2016 at 2:52 am

*I dont want your demons to influence mine.

• Onyi January 20, 2016 at 6:21 am

The first move as you put it, is not unwanted non consensual sexual contact. What happened to a conversation as a move? Expressing interest verbally. Let’s not excuse BS with BS it’s a new year

• Ewa January 20, 2016 at 8:29 am

Thanks for the clarification. I was about to make a comment when I saw the question on innocent girls but decided to hold back.

• nwanyi na aga aga January 20, 2016 at 9:42 am

The move is not the action Elessaris….., If you want to kiss a girl ask her that is the appropriate 1st move. I have been asked before, I was watching a movie with the friend when he politely asked..should I hold your hand? I smiled and took his hand.. half way into the movie he asked again..Can I kiss you?…I thought hard about it then declined, he smiled..That was how a wonderful relationship started. See the problem with assault is that you assume and then go on to assault ones sensibilities. When you are told to make the first move, it means express your interest first, it doesn’t mean assume and carry out the act. If you want to visit someone the first time wont you ask? will you just up and leave your house to the person’s house without informing the person and finding out if the person has the capacity of tending to you when you visit? Don’t support unnecessary philandering to make it a “what can a Nigerian man do?” debate.

• I am tired January 20, 2016 at 1:28 pm

For how long would we go on like this?
    Deliberate every assault story like it’s a Chance to finally lend our voice to the sharing of national cake?
    If a lady says she didn’t consent to it then, so be it!
    I’m sick of reading comments blaming the girls like they asked for it. Each time we go on and on about it and end up not getting justice for the bereaved. What is the police and journalists doing to investigate and find out what happened exactly.
    This story right here has more than one victim could they all be lying?
    Last year, I worked with an a**hole in the south as his assistant and we were both from the same tribe while others were “southsouth”.
    I felt if he had to pull any stunt not with me at least, this married man raped me and didn’t feel sorry one bit. Later, I heard him tell someone that he was a sex addict and will do anything to get it boastfully.
    I can’t mention names because of you people that are lurking in the dark with clubs and matchets to shame for admitting that I was violated.
    Literary Society at large, if you can’t get justice for your own girls despite all your “pen is mightier than a sword” rubbish, then I lose hope.

• fleur January 20, 2016 at 4:01 pm

Peeps, we all have weaknesses. How you manage it is the difference between a fall from grace and remaining respectable. Really embarrassing that a full grown man has to cause himself to be a victim of his own prolific sexual fantasies. We should all try hard. Even if it means setting up barriers like not giving people a ride. So much to lose from this kind of unnecessary problem. Only Bill Clinton has survived this kinda thing.

• Diesel January 20, 2016 at 5:48 pm

Y didn’t he just ask for the kiss and see if they ll accept, Nigeria wot a lawless country , where people get away with their inresponsible acts .Most of our company Senior mngt do all this rubbish to employee on a daily basics, even in our schools, and our so call politicians . We honestly need a scape goat to deal with to send the MSG across

• ElessarisElendil January 21, 2016 at 4:42 am

DD: That’s baseless, politicians and murderers have characteristics of clinical psychopathy, does not make them the same. My only source for this story is BN, so if you have any further information correct me. But Mr Nnadi never pressed his affections after being rebuffed. Comparing him to Bill Cosby is comparing a scuffle to serial murder.

D: If the rules have changed then sure, but the question here is has there ever been a formal complaint to Mr Nnadi and he continued his actions, if so then I did not know about and apologise for defending him. If to him his actions are normal then he did absolutely nothing wrong. Perhaps my opinion differs from yours because of where I grew up but I’ll just leave it at his actions do not seem abnormal to me. Kinda like horseplay in boarding school might be construed as assault but isn’t because the intent differs.

Bleed Blue: I’m so sorry. Boarding school desensitized me, savage place.
    Aren’t movies a reflection of reality? If they were so outside the norm they’d be protests no?? I’m geninunely shocked that everybody here has apparently had their permission asked before being kissed, here I was thinking it was the spontaneity that mattered.
    If my daughter came crying to me I’d comfort her, but I’d keep my pitchfork aside just as I do if she came crying a boy had broken her heart. There is a reasonable action for every act. Again I’m sorry if we don’t agree, but if we agreed on everything I’d be “Bleed Blue”.

Dee: Everybody has a bit of foolishness in them. This is the part where you claim you’ve never displayed poor judgement before right? If this my time, I accept, everybody does it.

Sugabelly: My limited google-fu has taught me that in Nigeria the intent matters. Nothing from the story above indicates that Mr Nnadi’s intent were menacing. None of his actions could be construed as intended to threaten from his part. He has been informed that his actions were unwelcome to a select few and he apologized. Pardon me for not hanging the Man.

D: And in all those intent matters, I’m sorry there’s nothing here that shows Mr Nnadi intent was to meance.

californiabawlar: I don’t excuse everything, had he raped them I’d be calling for his punishment same as everybody, had he killed them, I obviously would not excuse his actions. I’m against crucifying somebody who possibly didn’t know their actions were wrong. Unless of course you’re one of those people who call for the death penalty for children who accidentally shoot their parents? Damn I’m so sad, you’re my favourite on these meme streets?

nwanyi na aga aga: I’m going to take a leap here and assume the gentleman in question was not your only kiss, did they all ask first??? Your visit example doesn’t follow. It would if Mr Nnadi was just working up and kissing random people on the street, he met this people, they conversed, he thought he was rocking their world. He tried his luck for a one night stand was rejected and moved on.

Okay it appears I’m in the minority on this, you can’t be right every time. I still don’t believe Mr Nnadi should be compared to rapists and child molesters and still believe most of you are exaggerating being asked for permission for every kiss. Just trying to state my view. Ich bin nicht Herr Nnadi.

• nwanyi na aga aga January 21, 2016 at 11:35 am

I gave you an example of how to make the first move Elles…., asking me if it was my only kiss, is out of point, incredible and makes it look like you have made up your mind to be sexually assaulting girls by jumping kisses on them. Let go of your resolve and patiently read my example, you will read where I declined that particular offer. You have behaved typically as Nigerian men behave, you are corrected on an issue, you jump on other random issues just to prove yourself right, wetin concern my other kisses with the example I gave you? So what is the import of asking me if everyone asked? Do you want to join the ones I slapped for not asking? Or is it the story you want to hear? I will give you another chance to re read my comment. if you like be jump kissing ladies, one day you will get bruised on the mouth for your efforts. The moral of the story I gave you is, if you want to make the first move ask, Always ask…if you have ear hear, if you like don’t. See what something as useless as a kiss has cost Amu-Nnadi, no literary society will take such a brilliant mind serious ever again, because unnecessary assumption and indiscretion.

• ElessarisElendil January 22, 2016 at 4:21 am

I did carefully read your example; heartwarming. It seems you’re misunderstanding me, my point was to many guys making the first move(without asking) is normal. Unless you think the other guys you slapped(again assuming you slapped them all) all thought ‘Hey I’m going to sexually assault Nwanyi na aga aga’ today.

The whole reason I got stuck in this quagmire is because I’m against the drugging rapist comparisons.

• D January 21, 2016 at 2:52 pm

Nwanyi na aga aga has said it all… Elessaris, I will only add that your response to our comments just looks like a string of poor excuses for a grown-ass man who should have known better and kept his hands and lips to himself. From their accounts, there was nothing in these women’s behavior that he could have remotely interpreted as an invitation to force kisses on them. “He tried his luck”.. seriously? Well, that may make it OK to you (which sadly says a lot about you) but it will certainly not be accepted as a reasonable defense in any courtroom. Consent is essential, end of story.

• ElessarisElendil January 22, 2016 at 4:23 am

We’ll leave it to the courts to decide. In time we’ll find out the Nigerian viewpoint. Still believe the rapists comparisons are wrong.

• agent fix January 25, 2016 at 9:01 pm

I will like to ask d men hailing d man if it is okay for someone to kiss their wives on d mouth without as much as a by your leave. Would u still call it ‘just a kiss’, would u still be so quick to ‘forgive’. Just thinking…….