People Magazine chrissy-teigen-600x800
Top model/TV Host/Mrs John Legend and most recently, cookbook author, Chrissy Teigen has been received mixed opinions after she revealed that she selected a female embryo during the IVF process.

Chrissy who has been open about her struggle with infertility revealed that Preimplantation genetic diagnosis (PGD) was carried out on her embryos and she selected a female embryo for transfer.

She exclusively revealed to People Magazine;

“I’ve made this decision,” Teigen tells PEOPLE exclusively while chatting about her book Cravings in this week’s issue, on newsstands Friday. “Not only am I having a girl, but I picked the girl from her little embryo. I picked her and was like, ‘Let’s put in the girl.’ ”

Since this revelation, she has been both applauded and attacked for her decision. Chrissy supporters are commending her for being so refreshingly honest about her infertility struggles and IVF process while those criticizing her have attacked the process as “unnatural” and “playing God”.

Chrissy responded on Twitter, saying,

She also joked

BellaNaijarians, what are your thoughts?

PGD is presently unavailable in Nigeria. Based on what we know, this is mainly due to the unavailability of the equipment required. It is a useful method for detecting genetic diseases and conditions. While PGD is legal in most countries, the gender selection aspect (for non-medical reasons) is outlawed in several countries.

36 Comments on BN Hot Topic: As Chrissy Teigen faces mixed opinions over “Selecting” a Girl…What Do You Think About Gender Selection?
  • Ese February 25, 2016 at 8:33 am

I don’t see anything wrong. It’s not her fault she had to go through that process but since she had the choice, why not?. Next time, she will pick a male embryo, simple! Nothing spoil

• jide February 25, 2016 at 2:06 pm

I don’t think I am as puzzled by her selection as much as I am by her impetus to share the selection choice with the world. Chrissy’s attention whoring is on another level and for someone who shares so much of her life with social media wolves, one would think she has the thick skin to no get her panties in abunch when they come for her.

• Oj February 25, 2016 at 8:34 am

See pple wanting different sexes of children why some pple just want a healthy child. I am female and doing extremely well amongst male. mtshewwwwwww and pple think poverty is only when u dnt have money, it includes wen u dont use ur brain too.

• Iris February 25, 2016 at 1:12 pm

When you have had three healthy children without issues and you’re pregnant again, and someone says, ‘So do you want a boy or girl?’ you might find that you say ‘O it will be nice to have a boy this time’ or ‘I think i’d like a girl.’ It’s the same way when someone has a choice to adopt and they say ‘Let’s get a girl’ or ‘I’d like a boy.’ The point is she had OPTIONS. She could have closed her eyes and picked or she could have done so deliberately. It’s all the same when you have options.

• Cindy February 25, 2016 at 8:43 am

I wanted to ask how it is anyone’s business but since she said God blessed her with infertility, I will just keep my mouth shut? God is not mocked.

• Shandi February 25, 2016 at 11:01 am

Like I was disgusted by that her sarcastically rude remark. I was gonna say what’s people’s business with her personal life; until I read that bit of her tweet.

• Iris February 25, 2016 at 1:03 pm

I don’t think she was mocking God. It was a sarcastic response to people’s remarks. She had the option of picking an embryo. Choosing which embryo at that point is not a big deal. It isn’t like she was naturally pregnant and flushing out anything that was male. Her point was in doing this she had options. Where she didn’t have an option was in deciding her fertility.

• Bimbo February 25, 2016 at 6:50 pm

Pls let’s be honest, God made some people without a womb, some without legs etc why praise God for blessings and not praise him for what we perceive as a non- blessing?

• molarah February 25, 2016 at 12:27 pm

Abi o. She must not have heard of those that have had IVF several cycles unsuccessfully. When people are too full, that’s how they talk.

• Jasmine February 25, 2016 at 8:47 am

PGD is available in Nigeria. Medical Art Centre in Ikeja offer this service. It is not only for embryo selection it is also for genetic disorder detection. A couple who are both as can do PGD to enable them detect SS embryos.

• Decempber Wind February 25, 2016 at 8:50 am

People are never gonna be satisfied either ways so that’s not a problem , the problem only starts when you begin to care about what they think or say. .. live your life girl. .. I ma break it down LIVE YOUR LIFE – YOUR LIFE not THEIR LIVES

But if you still wanna live theirs it’s okay , they are not gonna live yours anyway and that’d be a total waste of the person that you are….

I’m putting this out there to those constantly being judged and criticized by people who did not create them. Loving yourself is not enough now , you gotta be a die hard fan of yourself by yourself for yourself. …

• adebe February 25, 2016 at 9:11 am

There is nothing to think. Its her choice! she chose to do the IVF treatment when she couldnt conceive naturally, y shouldnt she get to choose the gender?? its no big deal.

• keke driver February 25, 2016 at 9:11 am

Whatever rocks your boat.

• atutupoyoyo February 25, 2016 at 9:12 am

I dont understand y this is even an issue. Christy chose her baby’s gender, the next woman can decide not to choose. Individual choices!

• Ber February 25, 2016 at 9:12 am

I just love this girl. She’s so cool

• Ada Nnewi February 25, 2016 at 9:43 am

If she chose a boy I see people here having very different opinions….

• jhennique February 25, 2016 at 9:51 am

Why is it an issue with people tho?? is it your embryo? is it your pregnant?
    Some people need to experience hunger in life to know that there are more important things than other people’s businesses.

• double dose February 25, 2016 at 9:53 am

if she had chosen a male gender now, y’all will be reading different meanings to it.

Dont even know what y’all have against males. Is it that you wish you were one or you feel you are been cheated by them?

• lyl February 25, 2016 at 10:16 am

Heard of and seen too,so many couples that decided to do the Charting thingy i.e when couple choose to have sex on particular days or period of the month so the Y and X chromosomes can tally for either a male or female child depending on the sex they re trying for. Also heard its not 100% guarantee. So I ask is that not also choosing??? Havnt heard anyone being criticised for that so why shld Chrissy be criticised for also choosing? The only thing I dnt agree with is her saying God blessed her with infertility. God blesses with good never bad/|evil .

• MIA February 25, 2016 at 11:11 am

So God cussed her with infertility?? Does that sound better to you?

• Becca February 25, 2016 at 12:50 pm

@ lyl
      You need to read the bible more. God surely does give wicked curses, read Deuteronomy 28 for the blessings and curses for disobedience, the curses even outnumber the blessings.
      Not a nice read.

• Bimbo February 25, 2016 at 6:53 pm

Abeg who blesses people with evil? The devil? But God allows the devil? Hmmmn

• The Abimbola February 27, 2016 at 11:13 am

I find it agitating you have the same name as me. Please when next you want to comment; making totally ridiculous remarks; use one of your other names.

• Bey February 25, 2016 at 10:49 am

Her pregnancy, her baby, her body. I absolutely see nothing wrong in Gender selection, infact I wont mind doing it at some point. I already have a boy, and I definitely would want a daughter one day. Who am I gonna play dress up with? hahahaha
    On a serious note this wont be a bad idea for a lot of Nigerian women, I had a friend in school who had 5sisters, meaning they are 6girls. Her mum kept on trying for a boy, even at ss1 she was still trying, on d last and 6th girl, even my friend said we shld pray for her mum, so it’ll be a boy. it wasn’t
    Don’t get me wrong dere parents loved all six girls, and dey are all so beautiful, that when all 6 are out with dere parents, dere dad is so proud of his girls. But there are some cultures that without a ‘boy’ , infact you are not married. You don’t wanna try some mother-inlawa………………..

• FasholasLover February 25, 2016 at 10:52 am

Her life her choice. The same way l do not understand why people huff and puff casting and binding C-Section saying one is natural and the other is not. Delivery is delivery so long as both mother and baby are fine. Which is why l refuse to use the word “natural” delivery. It is virgina if it is not CS. This silliness must stop. Women have died trying to form Hebrew women. Whatever that means sef.

If for any reason, l require IVF, not only will l jump at the opportunity offered by God through science, l will choose the sex too.

Don’t knock it until you have been there/walked in the shoes of women who choose to go the science route.

• Niyoola February 25, 2016 at 11:08 am

Everyone is a judge now. Social media allows people with smelling mouths breathe in your face.
    She’s lucky she chose a girl. The dragging would have been epic if she had chosen a boy. Lol.
    All these people complaining, that are on number 6 girl, because they are ‘looking’ for boy…… if given the chance, they’d do same.

This gender selection is small…. parents that have a child with 1 disease with no compatible donors, and have to ‘engineer’ a baby in the lab to be a donor to the child ……… it’s science.
    Is it right…… I don’t know
    Is it ethical……… I don’t know
    Is it making people’s lives better……….. yes!

Because same people abusing her would have called her barren after 2 years of not having kids

• Debbie February 25, 2016 at 3:29 pm

Sorry, just to ask – why do people always assume that because I have a different opinion, I must wish I was in his/ her shoes. Taking this from your comment “All these people complaining, that are on number 6 girl, because they are ‘looking’ for boy…… if given the chance, they’d do same”.

How do you know they wish they had the same chance? Or they are “searching” for the same thing?

• Tee February 25, 2016 at 11:34 am

Mrs social media, you again! You no dey ever taaya. When private life becomes public life, don’t complain when the bashing comes when things go off the rockers. Her own too much abeg. Notice me by force.

• Babe February 25, 2016 at 12:33 pm

As an embrologist who has by Gods grace assisted many Nigerian couples battling infertility have take home babies,I’d say there’s nothing wrong in selecting gender of your child, that’s the edge IVF PGD provides, it’s your choice,since you are privy in knowing the gender and genetic make up of your embryos,U can select what you want,God has given men the wisdom to do these things, why do we have to ask if it’s not from God. I’ve had clients who just come and have ivf done because they have to have multiple births at once, some also wanted the sex of the children predetermined, it’s no big deal..Infertility is a challenge that should be overcomed.

• ATL’s finest February 25, 2016 at 1:11 pm

I don’t blame her;) She sounds like my kind of girl.. If it’s fixable medically, GO for it Chrissy & besides, it’s better she’s opened about it than all that silly speculations. Now, let the haters jump off the cliff & I pray Tara Banks pulls thru as well with her & everything goes well for her & her man.

• Laura February 25, 2016 at 1:59 pm

I’m all for all things natural and God given, but hey…..who am i to judge anyone. Infertility is a difficult process, you never know what you’re capable of if you walk that road. I had my baby when i wanted, it’s a joy to behold. I imagine the thoughts of women who desire it, and struggle to conceive.

I pray for God’s direction and help for everyone, to walk the path HE so desires.

• TEYANA February 25, 2016 at 4:14 pm

are we in nigeria really having this discussion when till date men marry 100 million wives until they have a boy and MIL and SIL alike dont fully recognize a wife until she borns a boy! Please nigerian couples from the poor to the filthy rich would do this in a heartbeat if they could ensure a boy!

• Lwarbhe February 25, 2016 at 4:40 pm

Okay o! I don’t care about whatever her name is. I don’t even know her. But, reading the comments and the support for IVF and gender selection, which I’m indifferent too by the way and calling it God’s blessing through science sincerely makes me wonder why transgender folks suffer scorn from the general public. In Canada, gender selection is illegal. It is illegal for a reason. Same as cloning and all.

Like I said, I don’t care about it. But with this mass support for science and technology when it comes to IVF and choosing a gender, makes me wonder why people especially Nigerians who are applauding this complain about plastic surgery, bleaching by cream or pill, transgender surgery etc some even go as far as saying the people that changed or bleach or have plastic surgery are pseudo whatever. Saying silly things like God made you a man, God made you dark, God created you with small breasts, love and accept yourself, lol. Why then can’t it be God made her barren or infertile and she should love and accept her condition, after all it’s not life threatening? Lol, Nigerians and even the world and stark hypocrisy. Very fascinating. If there’s any of you that support this route this woman took and you open your mouth or use your fingers to berate any transgender, bleached/toned individual or plastic surgery beneficiary then examine your head seriously because you’re not alright.

Like I stated, I’m indifferent to everything I listed above. I just don’t get the zeal and vigour people laud and praise the same kind of issue that affect different people. People are supporting her because they can imagine the pain of infertility but nobody cares to talk about the pain of the trans or the ones that suffer crippling self esteem issues due to skin colour. Lol at choosing gender, next time she should clone herself. It’s a matter of options and she should consider that too. Seriously, it would be nice to see her advanced science and tech clone not just science this time. Life is all about choices right and living ones life? Then nobody should ever even have an opinion, not to talk of calling somebody out for their choices in regards personal matters. That is what is done on this site everyday!

• Nuna February 26, 2016 at 10:29 am

One thing is clear from your epistle though: You are not as indifferent as you claim to be.

• Me February 26, 2016 at 11:39 am

Nothing is cast in stone my dear. So what would you say about selective abortion due to danger to mother and child?

• Dsquare February 26, 2016 at 11:26 am

how dare she say her natural gift from GOD! was infertility! arrant nonsense.. this comment is too blasphemous!..i didnt even bother reading the rest… infact i seize to be a fan of hers again and yes it’s my 2kobo ..ah ah!