Funmi Sodunke: When Will You Really Be Yourself?

dreamstime_l_53777409Have you allowed someone to stop you from being you? Are you hiding your gifts because of what others might say? Have you stopped working on a project because you weren’t sure how people would react to it?

I am asking these questions because I want to know if you have become a graveyard of ideas. I want to know if you have abandoned your dreams, because you were so scared of the naysayers.

The more we keep making decisions based on what people will say. The more we will stop ourselves from achieving our destinies.

That statement might sound a little extreme. But, consider this question for a second. Did you study your major in college because, others told you to? For many, the answer to that question is a resounding YES. However, let’s assume that decision was made at a younger age.

So, what about now? What is stopping you now that you are older from following your passion? Your dream to start sewing? To start a blog? A Youtube channel? Or applying for that job, you know will make your heart sing? Sometimes, we get so hung up on what others will say that we don’t make any move.

Don’t get me wrong, others people’s opinion especially if they are close to us, might be valuable. Their concerns might help us clarify our decisions. But, at the end of the day it is still your dream. Your choice.

I have been in that place where I was nervous to start something new. I considered what people will say about me having a blog. Will they think it was childish? A waste of time? I didn’t know.

Instead of letting that fear paralyzed me. I decided to think about it from a different point of view. What if I never start that blog? How will I feel about it, 20 years from now? Will I regret it?

The way I would feel if I didn’t pursue my dreams was enough reason for me to go for it NOW! Sometimes we allow what people will think or say stop us from even taking the first step. And we all know how important that first step is.

So, I finally made up my mind to be me. I told myself that I saw purpose in my writings. So, I went for it.

I chose to see purpose in me being me. I chose to become that courageous, passion and purpose driven person I knew I was on the inside.

I also want you to choose to be you. I want you to introduce your inner courageous, purpose and passion driven self to the person you are on the outside. Your choice will not only change you. It will affect your future generations and those around you.

And that is worth fighting for. That is worth you being you.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

17 Comments on Funmi Sodunke: When Will You Really Be Yourself?
  • Spunky March 16, 2016 at 10:31 pm

A thousand likes! I sometimes look back to that dream I nurtured and gave my all but didn’t come to fruition. Living in the present, I sometimes think of what might have been if I had stuck to it and had faced the challenges heads on. Maybe tomorrow might inspire me to strive harder to achieving that dream in comatose…who knows!

• Funmi March 17, 2016 at 10:26 pm

I really hope it does Spunky. Thanks for reading and liking.

funmiwrites.com

• Funmi March 17, 2016 at 10:54 pm

I really hope it does. Thanks for commenting Spunky.

• Iphee March 16, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Sad but true but the Nigerian system is designed to erode “the real you” inch by inch that at the end of the day when you look back ,,,,, hmmmnnn
    1. Jobs are gotten not based on how qualified you are BUT who you know ( The current CBN recruitment was done based on “who’s yor Daddy”). What then is the benefit of reading hard and coming out with a first class?
    2. Even if you resolve not to give bribe one way or the other you will one day sha you will find yourself giving in ….. When the fuel queues start from Lagos – Kano it becomes easier to “save time” by paying N500 to the attendants or you go to renew your International passport and don’t tip them – you will end up spending weeks when 5k extra can ensure it is ready in 24 hrs
    3. How about those that tell you if you allow men see how successful you are they will become intimidated and run away…. “don’t show your money oh” ….. so if you have a good job don’t rent a good flat, heaven forbid you even buy a house just stay there looking low key
    ………the list goes on and on

• AnikkiAde March 16, 2016 at 11:12 pm

Thanks my name sake, God bless you for sharing your insight, very timely and i’m grateful to confirm it through your message this afternoon.

• Funmi March 17, 2016 at 10:29 pm

Aww…. I am blessed that you found this as a confirmation. I am so grateful!

• Funmi March 17, 2016 at 10:53 pm

I am glad you found this as a confirmation. Thanks for commenting

• Tosin March 17, 2016 at 8:28 am

when will you really…tomorrow.
    and then we die
    🙂

• Blueberry March 17, 2016 at 8:37 am

Looooove this article.I went through a period of self-doubt and fear of others’ opinions for a while as well. Then one day, i just threw that to the wind and did just what I loved…. I am myself a work in progress but hey, mistakes are aloud on every journey and you meet amazing people on the way too. It is a great experience. This article just boosted me to take things to the next level.

• Funmi March 17, 2016 at 10:52 pm

Your comment also boosted me to take the next level. I am so glad, we were able to encourage each other.

• Gaelle G March 17, 2016 at 1:56 pm

oh i am this person on the Picture…@bellanaija how do I contact you?

• Vashti (veepeejay.com) March 17, 2016 at 11:43 pm

The article was so amazing. Staying true to who you are is so important. When you’re not true to yourself and you don’t follow your dreams, you are robbing the people who you are called to serve.

• Funmi March 20, 2016 at 10:05 pm

That is so true. We have to learn to stick up for ourselves. Thanks for commenting Vashti!

• Unashamed Beauty March 18, 2016 at 2:48 am

Yes! The moment we start taking steps toward our dreams is when we truly become happy. We each have goals to accomplish, but we must stop feeding into the lies of others who tell us we’re not good enough.

• my sermon March 18, 2016 at 8:20 pm

This is my sermon man. Thank u!

• Funmi March 20, 2016 at 10:06 pm