Osayi Emokpae Lasisi: These Are 5 Reasons Why We Are Not Hiring You

dreamstime_l_29500310People keep talking about the unemployment rate in Nigeria. Oh it is so high. Oh there are no jobs. Oh there are jobs but there are no qualified people. Oh Nigeria, Oh Nigeria, Oh Nigeria.

The truth is that there are quite a number of jobs, but it can be so hard to fill them sometimes. I have had the opportunity to help recruit for some organizations and when we start getting resumes/CVs I start getting a headache.

Why would I recommend that you get hired when you can’t even spell your name correctly? Or you can’t even spell my company’s name correctly? Well, there are many reasons that you may not be getting called for an interview, or for the position; but, here are a few reasons why you may not be hearing back from the organizations you applied to:

Typographical errors
This is the worst thing ever, as in EVER. When H.R people see typographical errors they immediately believe this person doesn’t know how to spell. This person will embarass me if I recommend them to the organization. This person will embarass the company if they are ever hired. In the end this person may destroy our business because this person will make our clients think we are unserious-minded people. So guess what HR will do? – they will move your CV to the recycled pile (A.K.A the trash can)

See attached CV
When HR gets a resume/CV in their inbox, and the subject and body says “see attached CV” the first thing that comes to mind is – this person must think I have nothing else to do but wait here for their “attached CV.” This person must think that I have been praying and fasting for their “attached CV,” and since this is the answer to my prayer they do not need to specify which job they are applying to, or why this “attached CV” is the answer to my prayers. I should just know. So please unless you want your “attached CV” to land in the trash can, please have some kind of explanation, and include the position you are applying for.

Forward, Forward, Forward or BCC
Yes please, there is nothing that makes HR feel more special than seeing that you have forwarded this same email to so many other people. In fact you have even blind copied me. I’m not special to you. I’m more like one of your many girlfriends or boyfriends. If I respond you won’t even remember me, and I may not even be the most important one that you sent the email to. You probably don’t even know much about my organization, you’re just hoping that someone will respond – so yeah you’re pretty desperate. And guess what the interviewer will do when someone like you makes them feel like they are one of the many girlfriends you may be interested in? Yes, you got it… your resume will land in the trash can.

I just need a job
Please when you make it to the interview and they ask you why you want to work here. I beg you, from the bottom of my heart, don’t say I just need a job, or I just need money. Yes oh! We all need money, but try not to look desperate. Try to act as if you are interested in us, but even if you don’t work with us you will still have a great life. WE don’t want desperate stalker, we want the best. And often times we think that the best people are wanted by others. So if you’re desperate, then it makes us feel like you’re probably not the best. I beg you once again, repeat after me – I WILL NOT ACT DESPERATE.

Smelly Interview
I know a lot of people say not to spray perfume or cologne for an interview, just in case the interviewer is allergic to your spray. But please the least you can do is wear deodorant. Just rub it all over your underarm, and then keep it in your bag just in case you need more. And spray small perfume, just a little bit, not too much, but not too little either. Why am I saying this? Well, the interviewer will not be able to hear you speaking if every time you walk by, they are overwhelmed and attacked by your body odour. Some are more polite and will try to smile and listen, but the whole time they will be distracted because they have to hold their breath. Others may not be so polite and may excuse themselves, and you will never quite know why they left – only to find out later that once again, your CV/Resume has landed in the trash can.

So please try not to do the five things above. I know you’re smart, I know you are qualified, and I want you to get that amazing job that you deserve.

Photo Credit: Dreamstime

35 Comments on Osayi Emokpae Lasisi: These Are 5 Reasons Why We Are Not Hiring You
  • Toes March 1, 2016 at 9:53 am

Have a problem with “find attached CV” point…the profession I am in, there are a million certificates that cant just be listed in an email hence the reason I refer the HR to the word document attached to the email. This document breaks down each certification, awarding institutions and the year obtained. I don’t think any HR personnel would want to open an email and straight up see a couple of pages of certificates and all.

• Nuna March 1, 2016 at 10:03 am

Exactly! I was just about to say this

• Ms. Lurve March 1, 2016 at 10:39 am

I think what she meant was some people just email a CV randomly with the body of the email being “See attached CV”. No indication of the position applied even as the subject. If you are recruiting for one position maybe not much of a problem but if there are quite a number of positions in the company its a bit tedious to sort out.

• Oma March 1, 2016 at 10:47 am

@Toes, She did not say not to attach but to be sure to say something about yourself and the position you are applying for. Your email should act as some sort of cover letter, give HR a reason to open your attachment.

• Osayi March 1, 2016 at 10:49 am

Thank you. It would be better if they said, attached regarding “so and so” position

• Moving on Swiftly March 1, 2016 at 10:54 am

You miss the point @ toes. The writer went further to emphasize the wrong in writing “see attached CV” without specifying for what job/role. You can write “see attached CV for the role of project manager” and then go on to add a few lines on why you think you are the perfect person for the role.

• Taiwo March 1, 2016 at 10:57 am

I think what the writer meant to say was that you just dont write ” see attached CV’ as the body of your mail forwarding the CV to your prospective employer. Take time out to Compose a forwarding mail e.g
      In response to your vacancy advert for the post of Blah Blah Blah, I hereby apply for the position of Blah blah and attach my CV for your kind consideration”. Dont just write “see attached CV”

• Khole March 1, 2016 at 11:33 am

Another reason why Some people are unemployed, they don’t have the patience to read and understand. That’s an example ??

• The real D March 1, 2016 at 3:55 pm

@ Toes, read the article again. No one wants to see your qualifications as the subject heading either. The author never said or insinuated that you should not attach your resume/CV, you have to most times in fact. Her point is “see attached CV” should not be your subject line. I think you just read the bullet points without bothering to read the content under it. Your subject line should indicate the position you are applying for.

• Mz_Danielz March 1, 2016 at 11:00 pm

When I got my job, the email sent was ‘please find attached a copy of my CV for your consideration’ with the title of the Mail being the job in question

• eagle March 1, 2016 at 10:16 am

You are still unemployed because you don’t have ‘ connections’ shikena! You must know somebody that knows another somebody who knows the CEO. Merit is trash these days smh.the most unqualified people get jobs these days simply because of tribalism and man know man.

• Osayi March 1, 2016 at 10:50 am

True having connections make it easier, but when you don’t have connections, you can still get employed if you pay attention to what you’re doing.

• Layo March 1, 2016 at 11:30 am

Oh, please. Yes connections does help but there’s a limit to what it can do, most times if you don’t have the right degree, connections will do little or nothing for you. My family friend has a Microbiology degree and My Dad has been in the Energy sector for decades, he has companies as well as his friends, my family friend wanted a job, I asked My Dad, he asked in return what exactly I wanted him to do for her with that degree. He advise she did her Masters in something she liked and could make a lucrative career from. My epistle and point; connections help but there’s a limit to what it can and will do for you. No one will want their company or corporation they’ve built over the years to go down the drain, all cause they’re trying to be favorable and help with connections.

• Ebony&Ivory March 1, 2016 at 12:01 pm

While I agree with your point that having connections isn’t guaranteed to land you a job, I think it’s a shame to be reluctant to help someone based on their degree or academic qualifications. The way we work is changing and in the world we live in now, the course you studied does not necessarily determine the job you get. Having a degree in Microbiology does not disqualify a person from working in the Energy sector. I’m pretty sure there will be some generalist roles within your dad’s company or his friend’s companies that your friend might be qualified for. They don’t have to necessarily be placed in decision-making roles. What if the person graduated with a first class in microbiology? Will they still be disqualified from a job because their degree does not match the job? What companies want to know these days is can you transfer your skill set into the job we’re offering you. I know someone who studied Chemistry and currently works with Boston Consulting Group (one of the best management consulting firms out there). He finished with a first class. I also know someone who studied Psychology and is now a manager of Communications in a multinational firm. Imagine if they weren’t given a chance because their degree didn’t match the sector. Just goes to show that having a degree is a leavener these days. Everyone has one. Companies that understand human potential look beyond your degree title and look at the value you’re bringing to them.

Apologies for the epistle! Great post by the way. Good tips!

• Olanma March 1, 2016 at 4:19 pm

Ebony&Ivory,
        Please tell me what a person with a Microbiology degree will do in an Energy sector? Please you have to be realistic. From Layo’s comment, he/she just proved connections aren’t everything, else her family friend would’ve been employed without a doubt. When people who’re qualified, (Engineers, Geologists, Environmental Scientists, etc have limited jobs in the Energy sector, you’re questioning why someone who studied Microbiology hasn’t been given an opportunity to work in the Energy sector. I for one have a friend who studied Biology in Canada and wanted a job in the Energy Sector in Lagos, My Mom advised it’ll not be an easy task, so she put her in the Telecommunications sector instead to work in customer experience, years later she became a consultant. You’re the same people who get furious when people who aren’t qualified get jobs, you’ll still be the same people who get pissed when the these people aren’t given the opportunity. Connections are good but it should not be given to someone (opportunity) when the person doesn’t have the qualification (not in all cases), else it’ll be rigorous for both the employer and employee. Of course they’re courses like Economics, Finance, etc that gives you the altitude to work in any sector, not all courses are like that, In conclusion, before you go to University to study any course, ask yourself what career path you want. A lot of people have degrees in Pharmacy, instead of chasing corporations in their fields or similar fields, they’ll be running after totally different fields.

• DeeCee March 1, 2016 at 4:41 pm

Ebony&Ivory I love your comment. your qualifications actually don’t matter. My dad is a microbiologist by degree but he works as an Engineer in the energy sector and has been for 24 years because he well adjusted to the role and is passionate about what he does. No he did not get it through connections, he got it through hard work and dedication. First generation Igbo ‘immigrant’ from his village in Imo state to Lagos, graduated top of his class and moved to Lagos and just happened to be blessed with an opportunity. I too studied Industrial Engineering but I work in IT industry which is totally unrelated. As a recruiter myself… to be honest most times your qualifications don’t matter, what matters is your work ethic, if you have the ‘smarts’ for the job and also if you are a good fit personally.

• Jay March 1, 2016 at 5:27 pm

Ebony&Ivory,
        While I agree with your comment, there are some things I’ll like to point out and I also agree with Layo.
        People should be given an opportunity but they’re some courses that you do that certainly can’t help you if you want to do something different career-wise. Yes, I know someone with a Sociology degree working in a Bank today and is now an MD, but after 5 years of working, he had to take professional qualifications, and eventually earned an MBA. You don’t expect someone who did sociology to be fully aquatinted with financial analysis, derivatives and the likes. Also, I know a Microbiologist who worked in a big oil and gas company for many years without connections, in the course of working he got a Masters of Science in Geology. You don’t expect someone who studied English to be a surgeon. Yes, it’s not always about your degree, but there are some things you need to have a degree for, whether or not you have a first class. Some people learn on the job (unrelating majors) and later get professional qualifications and other degrees to help them in their new career line. I have a friend who has a first class in Chemical Engineering from UCL but works with Goldman Sachs in the UK. I must add she had her Masters in Management in UCL before getting a job. My point is, I agree that people don’t always have a career in what they majored in at College, but it’s not every job one is eligible to take, 1st class or not, Harvard or not. There are some jobs that you just need to be qualified to be eligible for and that’s the truth.

• Layo March 1, 2016 at 11:31 am

Advised****

• Cece March 1, 2016 at 4:46 pm

@eagle

What a silly and negative comment. What value have you brought here by saying that. So the people who dont have the connections shouldnt apply? Why has the writer for instance bothered to go through all those emails for instance.

• eagle March 1, 2016 at 10:51 pm

Sadly that is what is obtainable in some establishments..Very painful something o, I tell you! I’m glad to know(from the comments on here) that there still are some places that give jobs to the most qualified people

• eagle March 1, 2016 at 10:53 pm

Are still*

• Cookies? March 1, 2016 at 10:16 am

I promise I won’t fall under any of these categories. I just haven’t found the opportunity. Biko hook a girl up with opportunities.

• omoge March 1, 2016 at 10:28 am

@toes, i don’t think that was what the writer was trying to say. i think she was trying to explain that the subject of your email shouldn’t be (see CV attached) it should be more like (application for the position of HR officer) or (Submission of resume for the position of accountant) after you have written your mini cover letter, you can then politely ask the recruiter to see your resume attached for their kind perusal and possible action.
    That is what I think the writer was trying to say. correct me if im wrong oo

• RICHARD March 1, 2016 at 10:39 am

YAH

• Oma March 1, 2016 at 10:46 am

• Olofofo March 1, 2016 at 11:01 am

The cover picture for this article is so unrelated to what the article is trying to say!

• Job seeker March 1, 2016 at 7:45 pm

Thanks for the article. I am glad i am not guilty of any of the reasons the writer stated. I am going to deviated from the topic a bit but related issue. My problem is i have not being called for any interview and i have applied to countless jobs, All i get are reject emails which break my heart as soon as i read them. The reason for this, i really do not know. Before preparing my resume, i had to do a research and i am constantly researching and editing. I majored in communications and in the course of my NYSC (i pass out next month), I have obtained two professional qualifications (Management and Project Management). i have 2 years internship work experience (administration and corporate communications) and i am quite good with the computer. I write wonderful cover letters and i mostly apply to roles that fit my qualifications. i am highly resourceful and trainable with good work ethic. If there is anyone out there, please advice if i am doing anything wrong. Why are the interviews not coming? Help, thanks

• Bola March 1, 2016 at 9:51 pm

Job seeker,
      Do not feel bad. It’s normal. People face the same thing all the time. They apply and they get series of rejection letters via email all the time, before they eventually get jobs. Do not give up. I suggest you apply to Companies like KPMG, McKinsey & Company, Mansard, GTB, Etisalat, Phillips Consulting, Renaissance Capital and Accenture. Check their career webpages, most times they have listings. If they don’t, they usually have places online for submissions of CVs for future listings. Alternatively, you can go to their offices and drop a well written CV and Cover Letter with their HR departments. Don’t worry, all will be well; By God’s Grace. My advise is never to give up. Prayer and Perseverance takes us to places we never thought possible.

God bless & Good luck to you!

• Job seeker March 2, 2016 at 7:15 am

Thank you for your advice, i ll do just that. God bless you.

• Bola March 2, 2016 at 12:02 pm

Amen. Thank you and all the best.

• randommer March 2, 2016 at 1:32 am

BN, please post my comment as I am not advertising.
      Job Seeker – drop your resume and cover letter at tweakmycontent.com and I’ll take a look at it for free.

• Job seeker March 2, 2016 at 7:17 am

Thank you very much. I will submit them right away.

• Osayi March 2, 2016 at 1:44 pm

Have you tried connecting with people in the different companies you may be interested in?

• Job seeker March 1, 2016 at 8:48 pm