Regina Askia_Muhammadu BuhariRegina Askia Williams was a mega star in Nollywood in the 1990s.

The actress, now a nurse who lives with her husband and children in New York, penned this open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari, asking him pertinent questions about underage marriage, internal terrorism and more.

***

Dear Mr President…

Thank you for all your effort at containing the corruption in Nigeria however unpopular. Nigerians elected you through serious acrimony , loosing several lives and facing deadly unrest but they chose you.

Though you are from the North of OUR country you are president of all. How is it that violence and deaths still hold sway? My hope and prayer was that on your ascension you would deploy our military with fiat and alacrity armed to the teeth and silence or at least contain Boko Haram.

My prayer was that as a seasoned General you would not only flush out king pins and barons but retrieve the loot as you napped them one after the other but we see them working for you. Is this the change you promised us Mr President?

Maybe I don’t fully understand how these things work but I know one truth “Women with babies on their back should not be slaughtered in their farms while out there striving to make ends meet”.

They say you did not send a condolence message to comfort the families but rather you are requesting for cattle routes for the herds men? There is fighting in Lagos and vicinities?

Kidnappers are even negotiating exchange rates, hiking ransoms and collecting change over the victims, little girls are being kidnapped from southern states and sold off in marriage to old men off north? Is it okay to encourage pedophilia in the name of tradition?

My president, I am not only sorely pained, disappointed and ashamed, I am almost regretful of ever encouraging Nigerians to embrace you. Reason says do not jump to quick conclusions but be rational in thought. We, concerned citizens of the diaspora are watching and praying for a swift arrest of this drift.

When the citizenry lose trust and believe that their government has their interest at heart, anarchy is unleashed and we mark the beginning of a sorry end.

Mr President, where is the change you promised?

Regina Askia Williams

32 Comments on Regina Askia’s Open Letter to Buhari – “Mr President, where is the change you promised?”
  • Chi March 7, 2016 at 4:31 pm

Dear Regina Askia,

Although I understand what you are trying to say but I don’t think you’re the right person to be writing this letter. For starters, you don’t live in Nigeria here with us and I am sure you have a blue passport now.

Thanks

• Nwa nna March 7, 2016 at 5:11 pm

@chi, I beg to differ.. She, like anyone else is entitled to put pen to paper regardless of where they are based and share their opinions or thoughts.. You know what, sometimes you’re more objective looking in from the outside because your perspective isn’t clouded 😉

• Ck March 7, 2016 at 5:34 pm

Her frustration could be her wish for her children to go back home but the current situation our nation clearly can’t permit that

• Mrsbrown15 March 7, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Your comment makes you sound small. @Regina Askia has done very well.

• AtL’s fintdxy March 7, 2016 at 6:23 pm

@ Chi just because she, me. & ‘we’, don’t leave in Nigeria doesn’t mean we don’t know what’s going on. My Grandma only visited us for two years, went back home for just six months, she’s complaining badly & bitterly that she wanna come back soonest. ‘Oh is April here yet’? That’s an old woman oo let alone Us that left when we could barely cry?. My point is that Regina has got the right to demand an answers to all these questions bcuz it is extremely bad up there & she ain’t doing NOTHING yet.

I’m praying for everyone there, D Country comes back to life.

• Grace Peter March 7, 2016 at 9:16 pm

What do you mean she does not live in Nigeria. Is her country and she loved her nation and want change and she will always come back home and her family and friends are back home. We all want this killing kidnapping in Nigeria to stop.

• oge March 7, 2016 at 4:33 pm

uhmm speechless

• Kachie March 7, 2016 at 4:38 pm

A voice for the Voicless-Regina Askia! God bless you!

• keke driver March 7, 2016 at 4:49 pm

He’s busy travelling from one state to the other “Praying”….God help our ignorance.

• LeryQuess March 7, 2016 at 5:02 pm

I don’t know why people are complaining in my opinion… Change is a gradual process, Change is requires a lot of effort because we have to do things we have not done before, drop things we’ve been doing to get a better result. It can’t just happen overnight tho… He has said that he’s gonna change our beloved nation. It is now left for us, Nigerians to co-operate with this. if not no matter the effort he, Buhari, puts into making this change, it will never be a success and his promise fails. I know it’s not gonna be easy but it’s a matter of time and patience. However, the thing about my country is that of tribalism. It’s the main impediment to our change. Anyways, My prayer is that Nigeria changes peacefully..

• Debbie March 7, 2016 at 5:26 pm

Nigerians are one of the most deluded people on planet earth. You want a magician to fix a system that has thoroughly broken down. The break down has occurred over the years. Why are we expecting a magician to wave his magic wand and fix the entire problem in less than one year. Regina Askia, Your letter is coming rather early!!!

• pep March 7, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Our President saidduring the aljazera interview we(Nigerians) have joined the islamic coalition against terror after he had said earlier that Nigeria wouldn’t join. We have to be careful before this man Further sells us into slavery because I believe such a thing should be decided by all of us, God help us

• Aisha March 7, 2016 at 5:36 pm

He is busy traveling from one country to the other, when his own country isnt in good shape…..Mr President where is d change? we want change n not excuses.

• ekhoe March 7, 2016 at 5:36 pm

It is well

• Jojo March 7, 2016 at 5:41 pm

Any educated person should understand that the country is going through reformation.I understand that its kinda difficult right now but just wait patiently and see what this changes is all about.I may not be able to enjoy a better Nigeria but i am hopeful that my children will.
    My advice to the Nigerian government is that they should try and regulate prices manufacturers are taking undue advantage of this period to hike prices of goods and services which is unnecessary.

• fan March 7, 2016 at 5:54 pm

I don’t blame Buhari,I blamed those that voted for him.if you are happy and you know say ‘sai baba’.

• jwezee March 7, 2016 at 6:02 pm

Why can’t she be the right person to talk? When all we ignorant Nigerians do is just stay in our houses n rant for nothing.. At least she has the balls to pen something down.. Ya’ll should be glad she is talking on your behalf

• DAN March 7, 2016 at 6:25 pm

Change is a gradual process be patience please. we will get there.

• nene March 7, 2016 at 7:15 pm

please why didn’t she write a letter to jonathan or obasanjo?

• Viv March 8, 2016 at 4:28 am

Gbam! Why didn’t she write a letter to them. Everyone is running mouth. He took over a decayed system and nobody lifted a pen to write during the process of the decay. People please support the government and be patient. Pray for the people in power that we may live in peaceable habitations and safe dwelling. It may get worse before it gets better but I’m positive that better it will get. We can already see some changes

• nene March 7, 2016 at 7:17 pm

please why didn’t she write a letter to jonathan or obasanjo or abacha, when they were in power? can people just leave buhari to complete his tenure before we start talking? he hasn’t even started, and people are already criticising. be patient and watch, if no change happens after 4 years, go and vote him out at the polls. shikena

• Nma March 7, 2016 at 7:20 pm

@Dan, wake up dude. Nothing will change. It’s the same race. New wine, same old bottles.

• Nma March 7, 2016 at 7:21 pm

*same rat race*

• Tosin March 7, 2016 at 11:10 pm

Sometimes one wants to disregard “outsider” comments, but they often have very good ideas, fresh ideas, …
    she mentioned “cattle routes”
    i’ve never heard that suggested before.
    delineating grazing areas and non-grazing areas to reduce conflict. nice idea. thanks to the lovely Ms Askia for commenting. (i was a kid when she won a beauty contest, so she is sorta special to me 🙂 )

• M& March 8, 2016 at 12:52 pm

Hi Tosin, it’s not a new idea per se, there have been on-going talks about the cattle routes and delineation of grazing areas, especially after the initial bout of herdsmen attacks. even the issue of ‘imported grass’ is related to this (though the ministry says its ‘grass seedlings’ they are planning to import) to try to rectify the issue. I do not believe all the problems can be solved in one day or one year, neither do I believe they can be solved by one person. It has to be a collective effort. and I believe if the current government doesn’t get it right, Nigerian youth will continue to vote for another when the time comes, until we get one that will get it right.

• ghi March 8, 2016 at 7:00 am

Yes oh we Nigerians want a magician because he posed as one in order to get to power,he promised heven and earth in a short time,we want it now.

• Beeeee March 8, 2016 at 8:44 am

LMAO @ some of the comments….didn’t Regina Askia support Buhari? She has as much right as anyone to complain. Buhari took over a decayed system? You people kill me sha….wasn’t he part of those that contributed to the decay in our system today? Let us tell ourselves the truth sha and leave party loyalties….one president came and dumped a piece of dirt, another one came and dropped his own and decades down the line, it has turned into a humongous heap of trash and you people are blaming only one or two people. All the past heads of states and presidents contributed to this nonsense we find ourselves in. She believed the man could bring about a change which is why she supported him. She has not seen her change and she is asking for it…what then is the problem? Instead of focusing on the points she has raised and finding ways to counter them, you are asking why she didn’t write to Jonathan and OBJ. This here is exactly the reason why Nigeria will continue to be the way it is. The people who should be challenging the government and busy forming party loyalty. Yet the party you support does not give a fack if you ate this morning or if you have a roof over your head. God Bless Nigeria. Sai Baba………

• Uzoma Ifeanyi,,,(0.0.1) March 8, 2016 at 9:17 am

In d erra of Jonathan,he gave us d best economy,but we were d most corrupted nation,
    Buhari came fighting corruption,and gave us d worst economy we have ever xperienced,
    My fellow 9gerians make we take am as we c am o.

• pointers March 8, 2016 at 9:43 am

The truth is that our government does not have plans for us.

• anonymous March 8, 2016 at 12:30 pm

How long are we going to wait for the change to come? There was sudden power overnight after he was sworn in and people were shouting change all over the place. So why can’t he use the same magic to make things work if he could restore power few hours after he was sworn in. Nothing is working currently in this country. NOTHING! @ the 1st commenter, u had to wait for Regina? Why couldn’t you pen down pending issues in the country all the while?

• Shomowale March 8, 2016 at 6:37 pm

Nigerians are a Naturally violent breed of AFRICANS. I don’t imagine keeping a buffallo is the the same as husbanding a Cow! That’s number one.

Secondly,
    I’ve dissed and criticized BUHARI on every opportunity I’ve received because it is my fear that as a general rule FULANIS came to pillage AFRICA, Not to Build.

But BUHARI in many instances has held his own. For one I praise him because he unlike many of the former presidents, actually believes Nigeria can be great. And not just a dumb AFRICAN third world country for lobbying and looting.

This man due to his FULLANI/ARAB heritage has the narcistic audacity to presume the royalty of Nigeria as an AFRICAN super power.

He sees Nigeria in the appropriate 2016 Light. He is old but a concurrent president. And gives me legitimate reasons to support that he might be the right man to lead Nigeria in 2016. Given he doesn’t turn into ur typical FULLANI Jihadist.

I say give him Time For Rome was Not Built In A Day!

• adex March 14, 2016 at 10:29 pm