News

BELLA NAIJA – NIGERIA FASHION WEEK – DAY 4

BellaNaija.com

Yay! The Fashion Week is over! A big kiss and thank u for all those who dropped by and left comments. I hope you enjoyed what Nigeria had to offer….I tried to feature a range of Nigerian designers with diverse style philosphies. You may have luved it or you may have been bored…..one thing is for sure, you were able to see that the Nigerian Fashion Industry is growing and becoming an influential creative force du jour.

BELLA NAIJA – NIGERIA FASHION WEEK – DEOLA SAGOE

THE DESIGNER – DEOLA SAGOE
image hosted by ImageVenue.com
With no formal fashion training, Deola Sagoe has been able to establish herself as Nigeria’s most internationally renowned designer. Daughter of Chief Michael Ade-Ojo, Chairman Toyota and Elizade Group Nigeria, she is married to Toyota Nigeria MD, Ayodele Kofi Sagoe (I’m guessing she drives a Toyoya…LOL..I don’t know why I am feeling funny today)…Deola apprenticed at her mother’s tailoring studio while studying for her Masters degree in Finance at the University of Lagos, Nigeria. Ever since then she has consistently dazzled us with her designs.
Deola has shown collections at the New York Fashion Week, Rome Haute Fashion Week and the Nokia Cape Town Fashion Week. She was the chosen designer for the CatWALK The World – Fashion For Food kickoff event in Lagos and also one of the principal designers for this year’s Face of Africa competition.
With a knack for combining unusual fabrics with unique embellishments, Deola delivers showstopping clothing and designs.
Deola Sagoe has definitely solidified her place as an African Fashion Icon.

FUN FACT
The person hugging Deola on the runway (in the last photo) is Nigerian actress/musician, Omotola Jalade. Perhaps she is Deola Sagoe’ muse?
On a side note, I can see Health PR, Managing Director – Matthew Mensah in the front row…He conceived the CatWALK The World – Fashion For Food concept which was picked-up by the UN and is now being duplicated all around the World!

I really admire Deola and absolutely love how she combines fabrics and colours…..Whenever I read articles about her the words ‘humble’ and ‘unassuming’ are always used to describe her…..that really inspires me because despite all her success she still remains grounded….

What do u guys think of Deola’s designs?

*come back later today/tomorrow for our weekly friday entertainment update 🙂

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on www.bellanaija.comFollow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline

1. koketso

September 8, 2006 at 6:28 am

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Deola Sagoe. Shes my favourite nigerian designer. I have two of her aso-oke dresses from way back but they are still hot today. Her aso-oke dresses are really authentic nigerian designs that you wont find anywhere and thats what makes them special. I met her in ’01 during face of Africa and she really is very humble and beautiful. She really is one of my fave african designers alongside Alphadi and Xuly Bet.

2. simisola aka princessafrique

September 8, 2006 at 6:50 am

I absolutely respect Mrs Deola Sagoe. She is honestly one of the most down to earth people you will ever meet. She made dresses for me and my sisters for our mum’s 40th birthday and they were GORGEOUS. I like the clothes shown here too

3. beautyinbaltimore

September 8, 2006 at 7:09 am

Deola’s clothes are very chic and elegant. I think her designs can be worn by anyone. If she could get the right backing I think she could possibly go far on the international scene.

4. Dipo Tepede

September 8, 2006 at 8:42 am

Great designs….

Please, I need your help to review some write-ups leading to a novel.

I will appreciate it if you can do this by clicking HERE

and click on Memoirs of a Virgin Revisited.

5. Dammie

September 8, 2006 at 12:53 pm

WoW, I love the fact she lives up to the expectation everytime. She’s very talented and creative!!!…Lovely, lovely, lovely…..and best of all she represents Nigeria right.

…..I hope i’m not being biased, but I feel this fashion week had more wearable and inspiring stuff, than the previous one you did!……I like more of these collections than I did for the african one, or is it just me?!?…I hope i’m not being biased. I HATE to be biased, LoL

XxKizzesxX

P.S; Did something on UR blog change?…..LoL

6. Parazone Super Bleach

September 8, 2006 at 1:26 pm

Tres chic!

7. naijagal fashionista junkie

September 8, 2006 at 1:35 pm

definitely a crowd favorite of mine! definitely hot!

8. naijagal

September 8, 2006 at 1:36 pm

love her style as always

9. tatafo!

September 8, 2006 at 3:39 pm

banging style…Chris Eboka is my top choice though

10. Icy

September 8, 2006 at 4:32 pm

She is one designer I would absolutely love to work with anyway possible.. rawk on mama!

11. ABBEY

September 8, 2006 at 6:31 pm

wow! I like her designs, never really knew much about the naija fashion scene but I’m learning more by the day. thanks and great blog!

12. Anonymous

September 8, 2006 at 10:22 pm

Very beautiful clothes. She is truly talented, hopefully I will be able to buy own one of her outfits soon. so fingers crossed.
    Bella, I;ll be back later for the friday friday tonic entertianment update

13. Ehi

September 8, 2006 at 10:43 pm

I love Deola’s designs. Very very nice……….she definitely has my winning vote for the week.

keep up the good work Bella:)

14. Azuka

September 10, 2006 at 4:21 pm

Cute, cute ladies. If only they wouldn’t shed so much fat and look like they just came out of the Nazi conecntration camps at Auschwitz :(.

I know I’m weird, but I don’t like the two extremes — ladies whose bones show, or the ones with hardly any elbows.

15. Maurine

September 17, 2006 at 4:11 am

I LOVE DEOLA!

My favorite would have to be the one w/ the white (silk?) skirt & the tube top w/ the sheer bolero.

Look at me trying to sound industry 🙂

16. Anonymous

June 27, 2007 at 11:59 am

Hello Every one i am so glad getting to dis site today .Deola Sago my greetings to u also and for the gud work u are doing in my country people like u is wht will really need in dis nation to take the name to the next level…Just dat am going to be glad if i cold see ur grace or any other people in here dat like to help me out in my career as a Model .
    I will like to do some Runway show and i hope u people out there can help me out . 08038258817 or [email protected]

17. Anonymous

August 28, 2007 at 10:16 pm

What”s happening sister, I know forget you o. Keep the good work going, You are wonderful and may God guard you and protect you and your family.

Sege Ojo USA.

18. DOLLY

February 1, 2008 at 3:13 am

BELLA GRUL… I LOVE YOUR BLOG…..IS OFF THE HOOK………..KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK…. LUV U…

19. Anonymous