News

RUNDOWN

BellaNaija.com

Hi Everyone,
How’s it going? Hope y’all had a great weekend.
I had a really fabulous weekend! Was kinda crazy tho….
So what have you been up to?

Here is a rundown!

RIP to Nigerian musical legend, Sunny Okosun. He passed away on May 25 in Washington DC USA. His legacy lives on….

I’m sure most of y’all have seen this vid already but here is the new vid from the Storm All Stars – Naeto C, Ikechukwu, Sasha P, GT the Guitarman. It’s a collab between Storm Records and Made Magazine called ‘Made in Lagos’

Here is the cover of the new Hip Hop World Magazine with D’Banj and Ruggedman. I’m feelin the concept! It feels so good to know that Nigerian musical artistes are now reaping the financial benefits of their hard work….Just a few years ago, people used to ‘pity’ musicians now they are ‘ballin’…..I hope most of them are investing their money wisely though…not just buying exotic cars.

Here are some new photos of Miss MBGN Universe, Stephanie Oforka. I know she is going to make an impact at the Miss Universe competition this year!

Uneku Saliu-Atawodi is a 20 year old polo player/polo team owner/entrepreneur…and the list goes on! I am constantly blown away by the amazing things that young African ladies are doing these days! It is so refreshing to see girls being so unapologetically ambitious!
Uneku along with her team, bella MATATA and the 5th Chukka Polo Club are organizing the first female all-international polo tournament held in Nigeria. The tournament will be playing alongside the coveted charity field tournament, from the 3rd – 8th June, at 5th chukka, Kaduna, Nigeria.The games are being played in aid of Unicef, with an auction to raise even more for the charity.It will also see the launch of the bella MATATA clothing range, and the AMAZONS POLO TEAM champagne, which has a portion of its sales going to charity.Teams are supported by TIME OUT NIGERIA, CAVERTON HELICOPTERS, and VIRGIN NIGERIA. TeamsThe African team: Uneku Atawodi (Nigeria, -1), Dominique Theones (Kenya, 0), Emma Beardashaw (Kenya, 0), and Erin Jones (RSA, 2)
The “American” team: Claudia Hodari (Argentina, 0), Kristie Hanbury (Brazil, 0), Jennifer Ciotti Diaz (Argentina, 0), and Terri (America, 1)

Luv it! I know some look at Polo with a certain amount of distain and consider it as an elitist sport.
For me that’s the same way that Tennis and Golf were looked at and see what the Williams Sisters and Tiger Woods have done to change the perception of those sports! Who knows Neku might be able to do the same for polo.

That’s it for today! Have a fab week.

Living & Celebrating the African Dream! Catch all the Scoop on www.bellanaija.com Follow us Twitter: @bellanaija Facebook: @bellanaija Instagram: @bellanaijaonline

1. Anonymous

May 28, 2008 at 11:58 am

Wow. I’m first. Thanks, Bella for the feature.

2. Anonymous

May 28, 2008 at 11:59 am

IM SORRY I’M I MISSING SOMETHING HERE, WHILE I APPLAUD STORM FOR WAT THEIR DOING ON THE REALITY TV FRONT BUT I HAVE TO ASK OBI ASIKA WAT THE F… IS DOING WIT HIS ARTISTS..THEY SEEM TO HAVE NO DIRECTION OF SORTS…AND IF I SPEAK FOR SOME, WER TIRED OF WATCHING THE SAME WHOLE VIDEOS,,,NOTE TO OBI..TAKE A NOTE FROM THE OKOYE BOYS, AT LEAST THEY HAVE SOME SORT OF DIRECTION..SO DISSAPPOINTED

3. Miss mini me

May 28, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I totally agree with anonymous number 2 with the concept of their videos..Its the same ol scene..I mean the videos should start having some sort of meaning not just poppin champagne and all….

4. NigerianDramaQueen

May 28, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Top 5! Yeahhhh

5. Bolanle

May 28, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Bellaaaaa!!! I so so love readin ur blog and it became even more interesting when i found out that i actually know you (Hot loaves sturvinz!!! LOL).
    Anyway, i’m biased and absolutely love everything Nigerian, Storm, P Square, it’s all good babyyyyyyy….. just keep em coming!!!

6. Pink-satin

May 28, 2008 at 1:43 pm

top 10!!yes

7. Pink-satin

May 28, 2008 at 1:45 pm

and i agree with anonymous!!!and also,their videos always seem so forced!!!like they are trying to hard

8. Made in London

May 28, 2008 at 2:12 pm

On one hand, I am loving the music, on the other, I am wondering if its a little bit, just a little bit ironic that we are singing ‘made in lagos’ in an American accent. Is it really made in Lagos?

Anyhoos, I guess these videos are not meant to be read deep so on the surface, I am loving it.

Polo, I like and Miss Nigeria’s dress I love.

9. mystoriesmytestimonies

May 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm

top ten..yippie
    keep up the great work..bella

10. chioma

May 28, 2008 at 4:03 pm

People…I don’t think it matters which accent they use?!! How do you define an American accent from a Nigerian accent? If you can speak English and sound a bit polished than the rest of us due to exposue, then by all means, utilize it.Besides music videos are not mearnt to teach a life long lesson.,they are for fun and relaxation. People learn to look at the brighter side of life and chillax. Don’t hate …appreciate. I am really proud that Nigrian musicainas has come this far. You can never please all the people all the time I guess

11. Anonymous

May 28, 2008 at 4:22 pm

HELLO !!??? NO ONE’S LOOKING TO EDUCATED BY THESE VIDEOS AND ALL BUT PLS GIVE US SOME CREDIT ARENT U TRIED OF WATCHING THE SAME SORT OF VIDEOS, EVEN ON MTV, GIRLS, CARS AND GUYS POPPING CHAMPAGNE…COME ON.WER NOT TAT FICKLE EVEN IF WER LOOKING TO BE ENTERTAINED…

12. Anonymous

May 28, 2008 at 4:38 pm

MADE MAGAZINE WILL NOT CONCENTRATE ON PRODUCING A GOOD MAGAZINE BEFORE ALL THE NONSENSE HYPE.

13. Olanna

May 28, 2008 at 5:33 pm

[email protected] Anonymous 2. thanks bella for the update…Big up to nigerian females doing big things!!!!! And as for the videos…ermmmm thats kinda the lagos life innit…poppin champers and all that stuff..LOLL…love the song tho..not bad at all..Nigerian artistes are trying..

14. BOBBY

May 28, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Beautiful!

Miss Nigeria looks great!

Kudos to the Polo player! Yup!

Good job to MADE and to STORM! Yup!

Bobby.

15. Mamalicious

May 28, 2008 at 6:12 pm

Could only manage 20seconds of that video/song… naija’s need to keep it real.

Ms Nigeria is stunning…

16. Kpakpando

May 28, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Who is really expecting anything 100% original from Obi Asika? Mr. borrow, borrow himself, except he doesn’t give original people credit. The videos are sha nicely shot, I mean maybe they reflect the average weekend in Lagos for these people na?

On another note, that video set my gaydar off like whoa. Moving on made in london, abeg I didn’t hear no american accent there o, sounds like some people need to come back and do a fone refresher course or something. 🙂

Stephanie, abeg I hope Silbverbird gives her a decent budget, because she’s a fine babe.

17. kemz

May 28, 2008 at 10:40 pm

abeg, what is with john fashanu’s random appearances in naija videos? the man no get job? hiss. naijas and bigging themselves for no damn reason. say na champagne? lolllll. i tire. if it’s not all over facebook, it’s all over the damn videos! make it go AWAY. these people should go and sit down somewhere and try to write something that doesn’t rely on catchphrases alone. i’m just saying!!!!

18. Anonymous

May 29, 2008 at 3:49 am

From one woman to another: Miss Nigeria is absolutely and classically beautiful. I hope she wins.

19. TaureanMinx

May 29, 2008 at 11:51 am

Lol, you can’t please everyone oh!! What do some people want, for Ikechukwu and Naeto to wear palm leavea and dance to a beating drum?

The video is okay for what it is. I encourage young entreprenuers.

Ms Nigeria is lovely.

20. Lim

May 29, 2008 at 1:37 pm

Uneku has been nothing but a hard worker and i know she will be as big as if not bigger than the William sisters. her hard work will send her to great places.

21. naijaleta

May 29, 2008 at 4:04 pm

The MBGN looks really beautiful. Do you know anyone who’s got her number? Just asking.

22. Rolling eyes seriously

May 29, 2008 at 5:04 pm

The song is silly and the video is stupid. Storm records needs to focus on developing its artists instead of whoring them out to Magazines to make cheap promotional songs.

At Anon 2, what note from the Okoye boys? You’ve got to be joking! What direction? One of said boys is in the video and he looks OUT OF PLACE.

To all those who say “Don’t hate”…I won’t curse you out cause of Bella. Why is constructive criticism considered hating?

23. Anonymous

May 29, 2008 at 9:21 pm

All this comments are absolutely riduculous. This is plain hating and no sense of constructive criticism..the accent? y’all must be kidding me! If you have ever met any of them, you will know that is not an issue.What is an american accent? What is a Nigerian accent?
    Please, I am extremely proud of MADE Magazine and STORM, they are doing big things and yes, poppin the bubbly…abi the video should have been of the two of them in the back of a yellow cab sweating then they will buy pure water to cool off?
    The video may be a bit elitist but thats what Lagos is about..like NY, like LA, like any other metropolitan city.
    SHOUT OUTS TO OBI, NAETO C, IKECHUKWU, SASHA, GT and the OKOYE boys!
    One love

24. editorgirl

May 29, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Bella, when is this magazine dropping? You have a fan here.

25. Made in London

May 30, 2008 at 12:57 pm

Chioma, I did say ‘I guess these videos are not meant to be read deep’ so you are preaching to the choir there. I think there is a difference between the American accent and the Nigerian, BUT I don’t think that equals more exposure as you seem to think.

You also say it doesn’t matter what accent is used. I agree but for the song title ‘made in lagos’ it is just that little bit ironic. I’m thinking in terms of if you were trying to sell that to a global audience…contrast with ‘african queen’ in terms of concepts.

I am chillaxed tho’ I did say I like the song and as you can see I am back for more…hehehe

Lol @ Taurean.

Smooches

26. Made In London

May 30, 2008 at 12:58 pm

Stephanie is stunning for real. I want to be like her when I grow up!

27. chioma

May 30, 2008 at 3:41 pm

@ made in london, I totally get you…

28. rolling eyes seriously

May 30, 2008 at 7:19 pm

At the anon that commented after me…give it a rest! You can live that life and still have another message to give. ALL THEIR SONGS ARE ABOUT POPPING OFF! THEY DO OTHER THINGS! I should know cause I know them well. You can pop off and still give a damn about what is going on around you. As for the accents…whatever! I didn’t notice any accents.

Back to the Okoye boys, someone needs to tell me what exactly it is they need props for? For being part of the MADE family? Then the props should and will go to GA cause he is the Editor in Chief and holds main interest in the publication. So tell me, what else? I don’t want to start a personal attack on this blog or else I would have finished them off.

29. Anonymous

May 31, 2008 at 12:07 am

MBGN Miss Nigeria universe is beautiful!!!!

30. Anonymous

June 1, 2008 at 5:47 pm

for your information mr. rolling eyes, the so called Okoye boys you are hating on are actually the biggest shareholders of MADE MAGAZINE and not GA as you have been very wrongly informed. pls do your research before making such silly comments.

31. rolling eyes seriously

June 1, 2008 at 10:00 pm

@ anon, go back and do YOUR research but that’s not even the point, the mag is CRAP if you really must know and I go back to my point what direction do they have that is better than Obi Asika’s? One faltering mag? Enough of this silliness

32. Ifeoma-adiagwuagwu

June 2, 2008 at 9:53 am

I think that the concept of Storm Records with MADE in Lagos and every other music video of their’s is that in my opinion, not that “they don’t have any direction.” But that they are taking the “mickey” out of their US of A counterparts. I might/could be wrong. And that’s what i thought, anyways. You know … i mean.