News

How to Keep your SKIN looking YOUNG!

It is never to early to start worrying about keeping one’s skin young, don’t wait till you are in your 50’s to begin stressing about fighting wrinkles and age spots. By developing healthy skin habits in your 20’s you can work towards eliminating the skin problems you might encounter in your later years. Below is a list of  how to achieve this.

The most important things to remember in keeping your skin young are these rules:

1. 1.  You ARE what you EAT.
    1. It is important to understand that everything you put inside your mouth comes out through your skin. If you eat foods that are high in grease and lacking of nutrients, you tend to break out and produce unnecessary oil. It is also important for you to remember that what you eat plays a huge role in how you age. While simple carbs ( white sugar, cookies, candy) tend to speed up your ageing process, complex carbs found in vegetables and fruits tend to rejuvenate you and de-age your skin.
    2. It is also important to remember to eat the right fat, as it tends to keep the skin plump and younger. It is important that you ensure that your diet is one of healthy proteins and fats like omega-3 and omega-6 essential fatty acids that are found in fish, nuts, soy products and fortified eggs. These fats help your body produce your skin’s natural oil barrier that hydrates it, as well as help in reducing acne-prone inflammations.
  2. EXERCISE De-ages your body.
    1. If you are not a big fan of working-out to stay healthy, you should think twice; considering that exercise plays a tremendous role on how young your body will look and feel in the future. Whether it is bike riding, walking, aerobics or strength training, your body and skin tremendously benefits from this. Here are a few benefits to exercising for a tighter and younger looking skin.

i. Exercise helps to strengthen your heart and lungs.

ii. It also works to decrease your blood pressure and LDL; also known as the bad cholesterol.

iii. Strength training, most importantly works to prevent the loss of bone mass; keeping your bones healthy and strong throughout the years.

iv. But most importantly, exercise works to increase the flow of blood in the body which not only helps in keeping your hair healthy, but also works to help release toxins in the body.

1. Keyword to everlasting youth: MOISTURIZE
    1. In working towards keeping your skin looking young, it is very important to remember to MOISTURIZE both inside and outside. You moisturize your body from the inside by drinking lots of water. Water helps rid your body of toxins, as well as keeping your skin hydrated.
    2. Moisturizing your body outside is done by apply appropriate creams and lotions. One of the most important habits you can adopt towards keeping a younger looking skin is to REMEMBER To WEAR SUNSCREEN. It is important to remember that the number one factor in aging fast is EXCESSIVE SUN EXPOSURE!! Not only is excessive sun exposure damaging to your skin, but it is the number cause of skin cancer. Developing a healthy habit of wearing sunscreen, works towards reducing the sun’s damage and eliminating wrinkles; as well as, reducing the effect of uneven skin pigmentation that can also come from too much sun exposure.
    3. Apart from wearing Sunscreen, it is very important to remember to always moisturize your skin. One of the fastest ways to age your skin is to leave it dry; because as you get older, your body begins to lose its ability to naturally moisturize itself. Therefore it is important that you always remember to moisturize yourself from head to toe.

REMEMBER, you can start now to rewind the hands of time before it is too late!

1. stella

February 1, 2009 at 11:20 pm

1. Learn to edit BN, that should read “simple carbs” instead of simply carbs.
    2. We are mostly African on this site, we don’t need sunscreen for any reason. The reason our skin is so dark is because our skin has adapted to the harsh sun and we have a lot of melanin which gives us our dark coloration and protects our skin from the sun. Besides, once you start using sunscreen, your skin is gonna get dependent on it.

2. paris

February 1, 2009 at 11:55 pm

lol @ stella’s comment. Africans do not need sunscreen?? is that right?? lol trust me boo even if ur as dark as charcoal, u need sunscreen. that melanin bulala is nothing but a MYTH.

3. Beezaun

February 2, 2009 at 12:09 am

u can tell BN nicely that there’s a typo now!no need to sound harsg

4. Beezaun

February 2, 2009 at 12:09 am

harsh

5. Yinka

February 2, 2009 at 12:10 am

I agree Paris, I use sunscreen during the summer and when I’m in Nigeria, and i just did not start by my self, a dermatologist advised me to start. The only thing is, we are not as vulnerable to skin cancer as white people.

The moral of the story…use sunscreen and moisturize…i’m nt so crazy abt the food or gyming part lol

6. mal princess

February 2, 2009 at 12:29 am

Stella….calm down….no need to criticise with that tone….and since you know sooo much, AFRICANS NEED SUNSCREEN!!!

7. Bix Girl

February 2, 2009 at 3:18 am

hi hater,
    ish happens, stop nitpicking and hating, u cant even commend the article in any way… can u do better? bye hater!

8. Tosin Nguher

February 2, 2009 at 11:04 am

This is a good piece, I use a suncreen which has a sun protection factor (SPF) 50. However my problem is that i find that sunscreens are usually oily, especially as i have to also use my normal skin lotion, and then make up, i feel its alot to apply on my skin/face at the same time! so I am not that consistent in applying sunscreen on my skin especially my face. Can anyone tell me if i am to apply sunscreen first before lotion or lotion first before sunscreen? i usually apply lotion first before sunscreen but i dont know if this is the right thing to do.

9. Nma

February 2, 2009 at 12:09 pm

why not just use a moisturizer that already contain sunscreen? I use Ambi w/ SPF 30, oil free. That way its more convenient and less greasy ……scan drug stores…u might find one with a higher SPF….aveeno also has one.

10. Nma

February 2, 2009 at 12:36 pm

*contains

11. mal princess

February 2, 2009 at 2:05 pm

hi…good pont, i would suggest buying makeup that already has SPF in it…im sure ive seen such products advertised…hoe that helps

12. Tosin Nguher

February 2, 2009 at 2:30 pm

Thanks for the advise Nma.

13. Reader

February 2, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Africans/blacks… do need suncreen! it’s been well documented… especialy for ppl with hyperpigmentation or blemished skin..wearing suncreen helps to protect scared skin from darkening, which usually leads to difficulties in getting even skin tones….

14. wordsmith

February 2, 2009 at 6:55 pm

@ Stella you know how rough middle aged market womens’ skin looks? That’s from sun damage…if youre a typical middle-upper class nigerian you probably won’t find out about sun damage until its too late because you simply dont spend enough time out in the sun.

But if you think sunscreen is not required … good luck with that. Black ppl need sunscreen especially with this ozone depletion, its just that we can get away with a lower SPF because dark skin gives some protection…

15. tolu

February 2, 2009 at 10:45 pm

Great article Bella, those tips u highlighted could potentially delay aging if strictly adhered to, but it does not necessarily prevent the inevitable wrinkles, laugh lines and crow feet one eventually develops with age. You might want to add the benefits of using an anti-aging cream at an early age, say around your mid to late 20s. Unfortunately tons of women wait till they hit thier mid to late 30s before they consider anti-aging creams, and then they dare to complain when they don’t get the result they were anticipating. Anti-aging creams do not perform miracles!!! Unless ofcourse u are getting Botox which involves someone sticking a needle in your forehead…..an experience I bet we are all looking forward to that…lolllll. Okay, sacarsm aside, The trick is catching it early before it happens. To help, consider La Prairie skin caviar luxe body cream it is an excellent way to maintain succulent, healthy, excellent wrinkle free skin. Although its a bit pricey, this product is worth every penny. Now If u are on a budget, consider Lacome’s Absolute Premium BX . I have used both products and they are wonderful! Its definately money well spent. Try it out ladies, 10 years from now, u would be glad u did

16. WENDU

February 3, 2009 at 5:48 am

@tosin Nguher
    you apply the sunscreen first ….For a lighter and active daily moisturizer … try loreal active daily moisture lotion . it’s good for all skin type , your face wouldn’t feel clog

17. WENDU

February 3, 2009 at 5:49 am

18. Nneka

February 3, 2009 at 8:21 am

No kidding girl some africans need sunscreen. My sister is unarguably dark skinned and she gets sun burns big time!! She cannot even stay out to just hang out in the open without eye shades and a large straw hat.

19. Florence

February 3, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Truth be told, I have a very oily skin, I tried using sun screens but they just didnt work for me…well probably because I used the wrong ones and I just gave up. Besides the sun screens, I have used cleansers, toners, moisturizers and frankly I never got the desired results even after visiting a skin specialist. I gave up on everything and focused on a good diet and keeping my skin clean most of the time by using wipes and toilet soap. For the first time in my life, my skin is devoid of blemishes, pimples and rash. I think its important that every woman understands what works for her and stick to it. I also noticed your frame of mind affects your skin whether its hot or cold outside…stress and anxiety damage your skin. Keep happy and maintain that glow!!

20. Kpakpando

February 3, 2009 at 7:57 pm

Biko, what do you do for a living? This one that you’re saying Lancome is a lower price point, is your company hiring? Abeg it’s a recession, paying $100+ for a 2 month supply of cosmetics is not practical for me, after all my popsie no be Yar’adua. I think a drugstore brand or less expensive cosmetics counter brand can also go a long way in protecting/treating your skin.

@ Florence, I feel you, but since we’re frecklers in my family, I have no choice but to use sunscreen, unless I want my children to connect the dots on my face when I’m older. I use Clinique sunscreen, it feels like water on your skin and doesn’t get heavy when you sweat a ton, or L’Oreal Moisturizer with SPF in the winter time, it’s a bit to heavy for warmer seasons.

21. tolu

February 4, 2009 at 2:10 am

If a store brand works for u then by all means go for it…..after all u know your pocket better than i do. All i did was throw ideas out there….u don’t have to take it hon.

22. ola

February 6, 2009 at 8:40 am

dunno wt u ladies r talkn bout,v u tried marykay,its don swell 4 me…..me

23. Azara Azara

February 6, 2009 at 3:37 pm

@ Stella, thanks for the head up on the TYPO, I tend to overlook things when am editing; however, africans DO NEED sunscreen, just because we have a darker pigmentation, does not mean we are not susceptible to SKIN CANCER. As a matter of fact, the problem with our pigmentation is that it tends to hide melanoma’s and other dangerous freckles and spots that signal the emerging of a cancerous growth.

If you have oily skin or are not big fans of sunscreens, be sure to USE MOISTURIZERS that contain SPF’s.

Thanks.

Azara

24. anona marilyn

March 24, 2009 at 12:25 pm

thank a million, ur write is a very nice one. very concise yet interesting and education. thanks

25. vivian o

March 25, 2009 at 2:30 am

SPF 15 is too low. According to my dermatologist SPF 30 is the starting point and she recommends spf 55 from neutrogena. However, I use MAC SPF 50 because it has a primer.

26. Wande

June 13, 2009 at 6:21 pm

i tink u nid help.they are talkin bout natural tins dat can help u grow properly,and u r here talkin bout artificial product.Do u knw wot MaryKay consist of?Pls take private lessons 2 boost ur iq

27. oluyomi omosebi

June 22, 2009 at 2:54 pm

waht causes severe body itches and raches?i’ll like to know the type of medicine,soap and cream to use on my skin.have been screened/tested by the lab and not found any fault on my skin but over years have body itch and spots.

28. Lady A

October 15, 2009 at 10:32 pm

YES WE DO NEED SUNSCREEN!!!!!!

To protect our skin from sun rays.

29. Nancy

November 30, 2010 at 12:14 pm

I have started to use natural skincare products combined with drinking a lot of water to keep my skin hydrated. Whenever I go out, I always use sunblock SPF35 to protect my skin from harmful UV rays. Indeed, your article is really informative. I certainly agree with no. 1. You are what you eat. Smiles..

30. Erika Butler

June 25, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Hi, my mother (now almost 90yrs old) used to tell me that the best medicin and facial moisturizers comes directly from the foods around us, and when she was baking, she used to wipe her face with the natural fats left on her face. Even now, she has the loveliest skin for a woman her age. In fact, her skin is in better condition than mine now. However, I do agree that we should all use some sort of sunscreen. She also insisted that I “feed” my facial skin with egg white when I was in my 20’s and I never needed any makeup until I reached 50. So, ladies, I suggest there is something out there for every woman, wealthy and not so wealthy, we just have to be prepared to experiment once a week. Oh, yes, it is important not to pull your skin all over your face, for that certainly creates wrinkles. Wash your face with both, warm and cold water – warm to open up the pores, and – cold to close them down again. Good Luck!

31. Erika Butler

June 25, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Correction: “…she used to wipe her face with the natural fats left on her hands.”

32. Rale

August 29, 2011 at 4:22 am

I can give you my 3 tips to make your skin healthier and enhances its appearance. First, take supplements that will help your skin (I’m taking Omega 3 Fish Oil Extra). Second, Eat a well-balanced diet (Vegetables, Fruits). Third, drink plenty of water (8-10 glass/day).