News

From Big Tee to Healthy & Happy

tolu-bn-inspires-beforeWeight loss can sometimes be the challenge of a lifetime. Tee tells BN Assistant Editor, Wana Udobang about a challenge that changed her life.

Where do I start? I’ve never been known to be slim, since I was little, I’ve always been the biggest amongst my friends and peers and all I’ve always heard is “ you are too big for your age” hence my nicknames Tol-Fat and Big Tee…And so the baby fat in that little girl eventually turned into solid fat.

My mum has a mini-mart in our house, and I think my love for junk food started from there…gulping several bottles of coke and Fanta daily, I couldn’t have taken less than 10 bottles a day, ice cream, yoghurt, biscuits and sweets, I never left home till I was 22yrs old (went to the boarding school in secondary school for 5 days, but came crying back) so you can figure out how much junk food I must have consumed in those years.

Apart from my love for junk food, I could not do without eating rice and bread daily, I was eating large quantities of rice morning, noon and night, same for bread and was eating either of the two at least twice daily. I would only stop eating because I felt like it, not because my stomach was full, it could never be full, it was like a bottomless pit!!!

Reality check set in about five years ago when I was having irregular periods and the main reason according to the doctor was my weight, even then, I wasn’t really bothered because it was less monthly stress for me, but my wakeup call was in November 2007. I bent down to pick up my keys from the floor and it was a big struggle to stand up. About two days later, I had to run up the stairs to pick a phone call, I kept panting heavily and it took a while for my breathing to get back to normal, but prior to those occurrences, I was constantly having stabbing pain in my chest. I just knew I had to do something, I was scared of dying young , so much more for me to enjoy in this life.

So on the first of January 2008, my only resolution was to control and change my diet. I made up my mind not to eat rice and bread on Mondays to Fridays and if I had to, it would only be on weekends, I also stopped buying biscuits, yoghurts, ice cream and luckily for me, about 4yrs earlier, I stopped taking fizzy drinks (must have had enough to last a lifetime). I developed a new found love for beans and moinmoin, boiled plantain with vegetable stew, weetabix, fruit and fibre cereal and crunchy nuts. I stopped eating meat and substituted with fish and chicken without the skin and started grilling food instead of frying, I reduced the quantity of my food intake, eat fruits once in a while and drink lots of water.

By mid march 2008, I dropped a dress size and that spurred me on because in the past, I had used some herbal stuff, which made no

Tolu After

Tolu After

difference, though I never drastically cut down on my food intake, a year down the line, I have dropped three dress sizes and lost 30kg.

When people ask me what I have done, I tell them I have only changed my diet and that is simply the truth, it’s been a big struggle constantly fighting the temptation. My period has been regular and I no longer have the stabbing pain in my chest. Most importantly, I feel really healthy now but the down side is that my boobs have shrunk a bit, but all in all, I am proud of myself.

1. *Dith*

June 9, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Congratulations missy!! Your story made me smile!

2. Dami Ashafa

June 9, 2009 at 9:45 pm

wow…. im going to do just like what you did… i have never been slim my whole life too…. my mind wants to do this but my will power is zero.. i already started gyming but the food i eat is the problem… i may not eat a whole lot but i do not eat the right things either….
    thanks for sharing

3. tatafo!

June 10, 2009 at 2:07 am

In one year? Wow!!! Great job!

4. Uzo

June 10, 2009 at 9:16 am

Fantastic story.

I am inspired….

5. Jummy sawyerr-Adegboye

June 10, 2009 at 9:37 am

wow!!! you look really good. This is my inspiration oh!! i have started as well and already i can see the difference. Keep it up!!

6. Movie fan

June 10, 2009 at 10:18 am

Wow! You are indeed an inspiration and you look fab. Well done girl!

7. efelicious

June 10, 2009 at 10:28 am

wowwww….am so happy for u babez…u really do look happy n healthy…am not what would b regarded as ‘fat’ but wouldnt mind droppin just a size…if u could achieve it then i know i can…good 4 u n hope u mentain it coz u sure look prettier

8. mesole

June 10, 2009 at 11:52 am

My inspiration……..my diet starts now.I have noted down what you did and im going for it……..Wish i could have your personal mail to ask more.You look pretty

9. Wow

June 10, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Wow! you look amazing! more like a smallie now…

10. jazz

June 10, 2009 at 2:11 pm

Wow Tolu, this is so amazing and inspiring

11. bamby

June 10, 2009 at 5:08 pm

Great job! I tell people all these crash diets will only have you gain all the weight and more if you slide. keeping the weight off means a total change in diet. You are healthier and of course feel so much better about yourself.I lost 25kg doing the same thing. Keep it up!

12. seyi

June 10, 2009 at 11:11 pm

am so proud of my auntie Tolu…much love…. and Wana keep up the good work….

13. NK

June 11, 2009 at 11:38 am

wow…aunty tolu … not seen u in a whole but thats a huge difference from when i last saw u…awesome

14. yenge

June 11, 2009 at 1:20 pm

she is my inspiration!!
    am starting today

15. yenge

June 11, 2009 at 1:21 pm

did u exercise tho?

16. Teetolu

June 11, 2009 at 6:43 pm

Did not exercise at all, only changed my diet

17. Toyin

June 12, 2009 at 5:04 am

Congratulations! Losing that amount of weight takes a lot determination and discipline. I hope more people begin to realize that crash diets are not effective in attaining a healthy weight. It’s really about a change in one’s lifestyle!

18. ogoo

June 13, 2009 at 4:52 am

nawa a a a!!!!! am still battling with my own! i envy u now, just imagine how u look old & banza b4 but now lovely. advice me on what 2 do . i felt my problem is that i over relaxed & sleep.

19. ayodele adekola

June 14, 2009 at 10:43 am

aunty tolu, this is all so amazing. iv been struggling with the same thing myself. you are an inspiration.

20. Silkywave

June 18, 2009 at 6:58 pm

Very Impressive…. Staying in shape or keeping fit depends 80% or more on your diet. All we need is discipline.

21. Nike

June 22, 2009 at 5:13 am

wow..you look great..thanks for being an inspiration to all of us!

22. titi

June 23, 2009 at 3:15 am

welldone Tolu!can i be ur friend?i m having challenges with my weight,it s been a struggle i need inspiration

23. blj

June 23, 2009 at 12:27 pm

woah, you are an inspiration o! I am not giving up too. I am also on a diet to drop a dress size.

24. Dupe

June 23, 2009 at 5:44 pm

I am inspired. I need to do this, i need to drop at least two dress sizes. Thanks for the encouragement

25. ESTEE OLOKO

July 7, 2009 at 10:07 am

i find it hard to believe ur d same person in the other pic cos the change is really amazing

26. zeeynah

July 13, 2009 at 4:33 am

wow. I am amazed, talk about a true success story, you look stunning. I am truly inspired to do this now. well done Tolu you look fabulous. thanx 4 sharing ur story……

27. Dora

July 13, 2009 at 5:16 pm

welldone….am so inspired….ave also changed my diet…so its good to see somone who has done it and is reaping the results…God bless

28. Ifeoma

July 14, 2009 at 12:38 am

am happy 4 u, how i wish i could do same.
    after reading ur write-up am determined 2 cut down tooo

29. stella

July 17, 2009 at 6:56 pm

u look amazing girl

30. uj

August 24, 2009 at 3:38 am

I am soooo inspired,i have been strugglimg with weight issues, for a while now,i just havent got the will power to stick to the diet.After two kids i moved from a size 12 to a 16 and going. i really want to loose weight and your story and pictures have inspired me. infact tomorrow diet begins………..Amen.lol. seriously

31. myra

September 15, 2009 at 12:49 am

thanks 4 inspiring me

32. Bisi Majek-Kuti

October 15, 2009 at 2:11 am

My dear Tolu, i am indeed happy you could do this. I know since our childhood days it’s been a struggle…love you girl,pls keep it up.

33. Bisi Majek-Kuti

October 15, 2009 at 2:14 am

Well done Tolu love, i am indeed proud you could do this. I have always known it’s been a struggle since our childhood days. Bravo girl and i have also started on this path. I pray it work for me.

34. zingy

December 19, 2012 at 2:23 pm

yes what tolu did works,i decided last month, to go off carbs because I was just tired of my arms and thighs. I love my body,but to be honest, no harm in getting rid of some unwanted fat, so its just protein for me and its working.I have lost a bit of weight and its showing. I was feeling very dizzy this morning after using the bathroom and had a bottle of fanta for the sugar and ran off to the scale almost immediately,lol.