Music

Put your BLING up!

I am a very proud Nigerian at the moment. You might think the reason for my pride is not that serious but I beg to differ. I stumbled upon a video on YouTube called “Maga No Need Pay” by a couple of Nigerian artists. Cobhams, Banky W, Bez, Omawumi, MI, Modele, Rooftop MC’s and Wordsmith to be precise.

I call it stumbling because I was actually looking for D’banj’s Fall In Love video. I just had to see the (infamous) kiss. I had seen the link to the video (Maga No Need Pay) when it was released but I couldn’t watch it at the time and I later completely forgot about it. Now I feel like kicking myself. I call it the hottest collaboration out of Nigeria so far.

You don’t even want to get me started on the quality of the video. I am not in huge support of the concept though. How many Nigerians have seen, not to talk of eaten a strawberry? I felt the video should have concentrated more on the everyday Nigerian who toils and sweats for his meal. The Nigerian who opens his shop at eight in the morning and closes by six in the evening. The Nigerian who despite the struggles, keeps hoping on a brighter day for his kids and family. I loved that Wordsmith was a Mechanic.

That’s besides the point though.

If you haven’t seen the video or heard the song, you are on quite a long thing.  The issue of corruption in our country cannot be stressed enough so when people turn this into a source of amusement or regard it with anything less than annoyance, it infuriates me to no end. And in reality as a true Nigerian, it should infuriate you too.

I have never liked that “Maga Don Pay” song. I felt it sent the wrong message across. So you can imagine my intense joy at the message of this song. Nigerians can be highly creative and innovative when we put our minds to it. Why we think we have to dupe people or be involved in “yahoo”, as it is more popularly called, is beyond me.

M.I said “put your BLING up”. BLING standing for Brilliant, Legitimate, Inspired, Nigerian, Great. We are all these things and more. We are a proud race and it’s high time we stop soiling our name.

A few years back, my mum was in London and a friend of hers couldn’t understand how she could be a  British citizen and opt to live in Nigeria. She tried her best to explain that she loved her country. Lets just say, he didn’t believe a word of what she said. In the airports, a green passport means special security measures. Free enemas and cavity searches.

“Maga no need pay for me to buy correct motor, for me to take make my dough. Maga no need pay. No need for me to go café, I hustle hard to make my pay. Maga no need pay. No need to do yahoo yahoo, to do yahoo yahoo”.

Go get a good degree and you’d have a great opportunity. You’ve just got to apply yourself. Hard work always pays off. Money not worked for, never lasts. When you travel far, don’t forget who you are. Represent Nigeria. Represent Africa. We are the mineral resources of our fatherland. Everyday, heroes are born. They shouldn’t come into a corrupt Nigeria. We owe it to the next generation to clean up our act. Maga no need pay.

In Case You Missed, Check out the video for “Maga No Need Pay”

Photo Credit: pininigeria.com

1. DU

June 15, 2010 at 8:11 am

HOPE PEOPLE CONCERN WILL LEARN AN UNDERSTAND THAT A GOOD NAME IS PRECIOUS THAN GOLD,DIAMOND OR PLATINUM.THANKS

2. mimi

June 15, 2010 at 1:36 pm

true talk my dear!

3. jide

June 15, 2010 at 2:14 pm

all you ajebutter think everything is easy, u always call it hard work when your dad
    mum have already stolen money for and given you the best education why wouldn’t you brag and say maga no need pay. i challenge all of you to face your parents and tell them to stop stealing money to and let see if you will be able to do that. it is easy to call pple names when u don’t even know half of thier story

4. Molicious

June 15, 2010 at 3:53 pm

[email protected] jide, perhaps you should think on your own words before speaking them to others. According to you “it is easy to call people names when u don’t even know half of their story.” Not every rich is a thief, some actually worked for their money, considering you don’t know their stories, I don’t think you’re in a position to speak as to their being thieves or not. But your opinion which you are very much entitled to.
    Anyway maybe our “ajebo” writer (of which we don’t know if the person is ajebo or not) is not the best person to be preaching this message but I think the point is to do our best with what we have and do it the right way, which is never easy

5. Ms Sassy eyes

June 15, 2010 at 4:06 pm

@ Jide, dey show yourself. Believe it or not some people don’t steal money and they make it.

6. Femi

June 15, 2010 at 5:07 pm

Jide, 1000 thumbs up for you. Don’t mind all these ajebutter kids opening mouth on Bella Naija. Go and taste real Nigerian suffering and come back, you go know say Maga really need da pay dieeeeeeee!!! Nonsense, all those who collaborated are from comfortable and rich homes, why won’t they say rubbish?

People are suffering all because of some people’s thieving fathers and they are coming here to rub it in the face. Una never start.

7. jess

June 15, 2010 at 5:47 pm

Wow, Jide are you serious right now? I would just like to let you know you are an “enemy of progress.” It’s people like you and your negative attitude towards everything that delay change. Instead of going out and doing something positive, you would rather sit down and complain about those “stealing.” When you are done complaining and criticizing people, what exactly to do you achieve? What makes you think every rich person steals? Well, they don’t, some people WORK HARD for their education and build successful careers. Gosh I can’t get over your comment; fix yourself man!

8. moxie

June 15, 2010 at 6:36 pm

@femi r u that myopic to believe that all those who collaborated on the song are from comfrtable homes!!!is the jealousy eating up your heart so much that you debase the positive message that is being propagated by the song. i bet you yourself are one of those yahoo yahoo boys who feels that their line of business is being threatened.nonsense!!!

9. Kay

June 15, 2010 at 7:24 pm

@ jide, dude the problem we have here in the states about our image as Nigerians, are fools like you that thinks only on one direction. Yah am in the states i came from an average Naija Family and sure i made it already. You your self can do it all you need is to get some education and use your brains. Don’t sit down and wait till maga go pay, even if de maga pay how much do you get from that? max $20k which is like 2.5m naira, that’s it? With an education you’ll make double that amount in few months. So my brother go help your self.

10. Godlovesme4me

June 15, 2010 at 9:37 pm

As much we all disagree with jide and femi…they have a right to express their opinion and say whats on their mind. @ jide & femi, not everyone steals or do rituals to earn their money, I think the fact that u used “all of u”, “they” means you referring to “everyone” and trust mi not “everyone” find the easy way out to live wealth. Majority of folks out there struggle very hard and they get very well paid through their hard work and living the good life. I believe that’s why we are told never to stereotype individuals which is what you two have done…

But yeah, I have the DVD of the song and I really like the concept and the video was well done as well. So I hope Nigerians involved in illegal ways of making money stop their bad habits, get off their butts, pray to God to make a way and starting work hard to excel in life.

BellaNaija…you rock!!

11. Anthony

June 16, 2010 at 12:00 am

Kay, I know a guy (close to me) who just made $75,000 from yahoo yahoo two weeks ago. Another family friend of mine (young guy) has made a million dollars from it (confirmed). I can give you my number. So go siddon! Leave these boys, they have no choice, go and deal with the heartless politicans first.

12. Michelle

June 16, 2010 at 12:06 am

Shouldn’t they be singing about our wicked, kleptomaniac and hell-bound politicians instead of yahoo boys. They are trying to protect themselves and their chop money. Nonsense.

13. Xavier

June 16, 2010 at 7:02 am

@Anthony so bcos u knw pipl whose magas have paid that makes it right abi?? Its still wrong. Granted our country has a lot of issues but corruption is @ th forefront n if u look @ it, ur friends and the corrupt politicians are no different. If u think becos ur friends have endured hardship its right, then u also don’t know what these politicians went through before they got into office. Hardship or not, they are both wrong.
    @jide and @femi, I am very proud to say I live a comfortable life all thanks to the hardships my father endured. He sold palm kennel to pay his school fees and did odd jobs around the place. Today, he can boast of four very successful kids. It could be ur generation that will change things for ur bloodline. No condition is permanent so please stop supporting the wrong thing because you feel everybody’s father is a thief. That is just extreme backward thinking. I wouldn’t be so bothered if this yahoo thing didn’t soil the name of the country but it has and a lot of us are paying for that.

14. Debo Ade

June 16, 2010 at 10:27 am

@ Jide and Femi: not everybody who is rich or ajebutter has a father or parents who stole.. stop generalizing. I come from a very comfortable home and I can proudly say, my parents didn’t steal to get what they have… And even for those that did the collabo… MI aint from a rich home. Fela wasn’t from a rich home either…

15. bimpe

June 16, 2010 at 1:08 pm

Jide and femi have some great points. most rich naijas are rogues in suits. U need dont want to know thier source of wealth. My fam & I just had an experience that shoke me to the bone. i still cant get over the shock.

16. F

June 16, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Wow!It’s a great message and I loved it. Even more interesting than the message(if that’s possible) is that it seems Microsoft(and maybe EFCC?) is heavily involved with the production of this music video especially with the slide show at the end. It’s interesting that they have found an interesting but captivating way of grabbing the attention of the public through music. It shows that Naija music has come a long way and is worthy? in its own right and also whenever possible, Naija music is perfectly capable of sending a positive message.

17. Ijeoma

June 17, 2010 at 3:58 am

@ Jide and Femi, to echo some previous posts, while some rich people are glorified armed robbers, others worked hard for their money and understand the value of hard work. I would’ve thought it was obvious that “it’s my turn to chop” is not the answer but perhaps I’m expecting too much from the average Nigerian. In any case, I just found on another Bella post that Eldee has a song called “One Day”. I don’t know if he qualifies as “aje” too. If he does, I apologize for wasting your time. If he doesn’t then I’m glad not all “non-ajes” – which I assume puts you on some level of realness others can only aspire to reach – think like you.
    PS: I can assure you from personal knowledge that not everyone in that video had an easy life