News

“Bursting Out” & “Holding Hope” have landed in cinemas – First Photos from the Movie Premiere of the Year!

It was an evening to behold at the Premiere of ‘Bursting Out‘ and ‘Holding Hope‘ as the stars came out to support these two eagerly anticipated blockbusters. The crowd at the event was unbelievable as  a seemingly endless stream of celebrities including Majid Michel, Omoni Oboli, Stephanie Okereke, Nadia Buari, Genevieve Nnaji and many others arrived to support their colleagues, Emem Isong, Uche Jombo and Desmond Elliot.

Local and International TV crews including Reuters and Studio 53 Extra were on hand to cover the event! After doing the rounds on the red carpet, guests were then ushered upstairs to watch the movies. The first hall quickly filled up and another hall had to be commandeered to accommodate the teaming crowd! Even that was not enough as many guests had to sit make due with sitting in the aisle and standing at the back of the hall! Such was the thirst and desire to see yet another block buster movie from the creative wizardry of Emem Isong in conjunction with brilliant artistic interpretation by Desmond Elliot and the lethal marketing skills of Uche Jombo! But it was was all worth it! As the theme music began and the opening credits rolled, a hush fell over the restive audience as guests began to watch the two movies. From the shouts, screams and tears in the hall they knew that they had witnessed something great and as they made away with their goodie bags, many expressed their intent to buy the movies when they are released on VCD/DVD.

Special Thanks to our BN’s favourite Nollywood website, Nollywood Uncut (Click to Visit), for these images.
We will have full red carpet coverage of the event on Wednesday.

Desmond Elliot, Emem Isong & Stephanie Okereke

Majid Michel

Monalisa Chinda

Bola Aduwo & Omoni Oboli

Nadia Buari with co-star

Genevieve Nnaji, Emem Isong & Uche Jombo (love the hair cut!)

Photo Credit: Nollywood Uncut

1. abby

August 9, 2010 at 1:39 pm

Awesome! I can’t wait to watch both movies.

2. moki

August 9, 2010 at 1:40 pm

*eyes popping out* Uche Jombo gone bald? She is SMOKING HOT too!!!! AHhhhhhhh… I wish I could tell her in person how fab this is.Love it

3. Ujubaby

August 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm

O my gosh, Uche’s in low cut, fits her though!

4. Nefertity

August 9, 2010 at 1:42 pm

eeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwoh, did uche cut her hair? she looks good though!

5. Cynthia

August 9, 2010 at 1:43 pm

Oh wow, love Uche’s bald look! How brave she is and it totally suits her face! Stephanie can look sooo classy at times and I am also loving Omoni. It looks like a classy launch!

6. luvbogg

August 9, 2010 at 1:51 pm

nice pics…but more please, lol.i really am loving uche”s new look – short hair plus the weight-off…i hope she keeps it off, for a bit atleast.! 🙂

7. busola

August 9, 2010 at 1:53 pm

steph looks good…iLike! I prefer genny with less make up… uche still looks good despite the hair cut…all in all, I see beautiful people…

8. Stan

August 9, 2010 at 2:02 pm

Oh, my God. stephanie looks fierce. Is that genny’s hair; she looks smashing.
    Anyway, moving on from Ije premiere. Uche is the bomb!!! They look good, dem
    actors and actresses.

9. boobsy doo

August 9, 2010 at 2:04 pm

i will cut my hair tooo…..an also lose some weight. i am so inspired by Uche jumbo.

10. ogg

August 9, 2010 at 3:06 pm

Uche had to cut her hair and lose weight because of d role she played ‘Holding Hope’. she played a cancer patient, and yet d hair cut suits her 🙂

11. ogg

August 9, 2010 at 3:10 pm

stephenie looks amazingg. loving d hair and dress even. genevieve, love you but chill on d make-up yeah? 🙂

12. Feyi

August 9, 2010 at 3:13 pm

wonder how this movies will make profit with ije still showing.emem should have learnt from kojola

13. yaya

August 9, 2010 at 3:14 pm

desmond looks kinda uncomfortable.

14. edna ibudu

August 9, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Stephanie is beautiful, Uche Jombo rocks in her new look, fits perfectly, Monalisa Chinda should please reduce her gold/blond match-match, am getting bored with her style..

15. ttyl

August 9, 2010 at 3:48 pm

best IMO is omoni……loved the whole look….but make up was a tad bit too much!!! love her still

16. DMV

August 9, 2010 at 4:13 pm

UMM… Uche (jombo) should have cut her hair ages ago . she looks SMOKING

17. eddie

August 9, 2010 at 4:23 pm

Bella, there should be more pics. Was at the premiere and haven’t seen half the people I saw there. In my opinion, Stephanie was the best dressed

18. BB

August 9, 2010 at 4:27 pm

Uche Jumbo is beautiful,bless her

19. divalicious

August 9, 2010 at 4:30 pm

wow,nollywood repin all d way,im so proud of u’all,FASHION WISE!!!

20. vwera

August 9, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Oh my, omoni looks different but loving it!!!

21. Miz B

August 9, 2010 at 5:39 pm

@Feyi… with all due respects to the producers of Kajola, ‘Bursting Out’ and ‘Holding Hope’ are not in anyway in the same league as that movie!! Puhleeeze! We are talking about a veteran that from inception as continued to hold audiences captive with her thought-provoking, relevant, tight stories! I wish you had been there to see the audiences reactions to the movies!! it was awesome. Genny and Majid were smoking in that film. So were Desmond and Uche. Nadia was a revelation! Please dont even begin to come Ms Isong with any other because she is clearly in a league of her own! Anyway, talk is cheap… wait for the movies to come out and you will see for yourself!

22. Ronnie

August 9, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Okay…What is Desmond Elliot’s outfit called?…..hiss

• partyrider

December 7, 2010 at 8:53 pm

big hiss

23. ARK MICHAEL

August 9, 2010 at 6:01 pm

GENEVIVE IS THE BEST ACTRESS IN THE WORLD AND THE MOST BEAUTIFUL WOMAN IN AFRICA EVEN THE WORLD. UP GENY!

24. Fatimah

August 9, 2010 at 6:41 pm

Uche looks beautiful with the no hair. She has beautiful bone structure.
    But it just goes to show her short of a time our movies are done and released. Her hair still has not grown an inch since the movie?

25. eemjay

August 9, 2010 at 6:44 pm

uche jombo looks soooo fly

26. step2me

August 9, 2010 at 6:45 pm

I was at the premiere and Bursting Out was the bomb! Genny was fantastic in it as usual. Nse was great too but her speech I feel is a bit too staged. Omoni didn’t impress me much. Majid was good too…and the chemistry btw him and Genny…hmmm…na wa!! Lol! At least it got the job done. Lovely romantic comedy.
    The 2nd movie for me was a kill joy.

Fashion.. My girl Stella was there looking radiant as ever in a long one shoulder dress. She I’ve seen many a times and I feel she has lost some weight. U go gurl!!
    Genny looked great in her LB dress with chains around her neck. Caught her green chanel purse too. She looks smaller in person but way better live than this picture shows. Though she had on more make up than I’ve seen on her before but it suited her just fine. She seems very normal and pleasant too .
    Steph looked good too but I felt her hair style was not modernized enough. She too seemed normal and nice.
    Uche looked great with the hair cut but could have done better with the dress. Didn’t like Desmond’s outfit. It looked confused. Emem’s dress was stunning. Majid looks bigger live I must say. Didn’t get to see Nadia, but she looks good in the picture. Too much powder though but love the dress. I don’t know how these stars do it but the amount of flash bulbs that night…Wow!!! Dem de try!

27. tt

August 9, 2010 at 8:10 pm

Miz B, you just gave feyi the best reply, Emem Isong is really in a league of her own, a talented woman, bless her. The event looks very classy, im impressed!

28. LilMiss

August 9, 2010 at 8:59 pm

I went to the galleria yesterday to catch a glimpse of everyone and see what they looked like in person. Everyone looked so glam. I loved Steph’s whole look. She was so elegant. Gen didn’t do too much for me. She’s so much smaller in person and I think the makeup wasn’t really very flattering. But she seemed really pleasant. I LOVED Uche’s hair cut. Even if it was for a role she was really brave to chop it all off. Much respect to her for taking her career so seriously. Omoni really blew me away though. She’s normally so plain. But her whole outfit, makeup and hairstyle was really beautiful. Very retro 1950s. I really don’t think this picture does her justice. Hopefully we’ll see some others. Thanks Bella for always keeping us up to date with events.

29. Olivia

August 9, 2010 at 11:14 pm

Absolutely love Uche Jombo’s new look….suits her soooooo much, never knew she was that pretty. Stephanie has grown as a woman and as an artiste-love her elegance and classy look. Genny was okay but y’all are right ’bout the make-up, still love my girl though-she just has ‘it’. Omoni rocked in the retro, Grace Kellyish look. She’s so fresh and pretty in person. A big thanks to Emem for giving us so many interesting women-centric movies that reflect the dynamism of younger Naija women in their strength, beauty, ambitions ‘razzness’..lol I can’t wait to see these 2 movies and Mirror Boy

30. THE AMAKA

August 9, 2010 at 11:23 pm

genny should tone down the makeup, haba! is this her way of promoting “MUD” lol
    same thing goes for Omoni, it seems she can never get it right. less is more.
    Uche looks HOT!!!! WOW! i didnt think the haircut would fit her, but it does. she should keep this look.
    Monalisa, same old.
    everyone else looks pretty decent.

@Fatimah
    maybe she is still cutting her hair and not growing it back.

31. ij

August 9, 2010 at 11:29 pm

@ronnie, its called i too know fashion

32. ij

August 9, 2010 at 11:31 pm

omoni reping all the way , she looked really lovely

33. MiaJadore

August 10, 2010 at 12:12 am

UCHE JOMBO!!!

34. Yasmin

August 10, 2010 at 1:35 am

Was at the premiere….and it was fabulous! My honest opinion? Both films were good but I prefered Busting Out! Why? It was the ultimate chick flick! Thats why I love Emem because she writes for the mordern Nigerian woman. The middle class Naija babe in her mid to late 30’s that is looking for love, romance and living the good life. yes we Naija women want to see more of these kind of stories abeg! Contrary to popular opinion, we dont all live in the village and live in grass huts! Neither are we shrews,with wicked mothers inlaws and helpless, crying wimps! The modern day Naija women is classy, poised and isnt afraid to speak her mind and be herself in mordern, cosmopolitan Lagos which is what Emem captured in Bursting Out.
    Dialogue was witty, the actresses Genevieve, Omoni and Nse were on point in capturing their characters… the soundtrack was something else and the love scenes were…smouldering! I’ll pick Bursting Out any day for movie when ive put the kids to bed, kicked off my shoes and am sipping my fave glass of wine! Definately five stars for that one!

35. NiceWriting

August 10, 2010 at 2:01 am

if you leave Desmond Eliott now he his looking fly….mschewww i hiss
    wat nonsens dress sense.
    Nadia looks beautiful too

36. sco-sco

August 10, 2010 at 3:20 am

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stephanie is wearing my dream dress by Karen Milen! Love it!

37. Snowjob

August 10, 2010 at 3:37 am

Miz B, Can’t compare that mess Kajola to Emem Isong’s movies but you can’t compare Emem to Afolayan, Kelani or Ojukwu. Please don’t tell us who is in a league of their own because we know. Obviously why these two films will never spend more than one day at Silver Bird Cinemas. We know what Emem sells and the people who buy also know so don’t come here selling snow to the eskimos. We know what category Emem belongs to.

38. adenike

August 10, 2010 at 9:42 am

@Mizb,I’m sorry but i think you’re holding the wrong end of the stick(in response to Feyi’s post). She wasn’t comparing Kajola to Bursting out/Holding Hope.I’m sure she meant Kajola came out same time as Ije and obviously most people went for Ije. At the end,Kajola lost out. Competing with Ije right now might not be too smart (business-wise)on Emem’s part but if she knows her onions well,she might pull it off…
    On the other hand,@staep2me,thanks for the info;you mean Majid is bigger than on-screen? Alright,now i can like him..lol. He looks pretty tiny on screen with his ‘not well toned’ muscles…lol

39. joke

August 10, 2010 at 10:36 am

Love Uche’s hair. You rock girl! love u! love u !!

40. teeno

August 10, 2010 at 11:48 am

UCHE UCHE UCHE, ow many times did i call u??? pls dis new look is so glam!!! sure u can keep it this way for the time being so we cd have our fill……thumbs up gurl!

41. Miz B

August 10, 2010 at 11:50 am

@Snowjob… the last thing I want to do is get into an arguement about whose film is better than the other. And yes I repeat Emem is in a class of her own when it comes to story telling; Emotional Crack, Behind Closed Doors, Reloaded, Guilty Pleasures attest to this. Tunde Kilani,Kunle Afolayan and Izu Ojukwu are good TECHNICALLY, but when it comes in terms of story, drama, please Emem beats them hands down! But like I said I have no desire to engage in a childish arguement about who is the better film maker. All of them are good… Tunde Kilani with his traditional movies, Izu with his action shoots and Kunle with his technical shots… as for Emem, she specializes in love stories… no matter how twisted! and i would go for her films any day but then ‘its a girl’s thing’, you wouldn’t understand!

42. G

August 10, 2010 at 12:55 pm

Is bursting out now showing at the cinemas? im looking forward to watching it on d big screen. this will put other producers on their feet. they have to do a better job of producing world class movies.

i love Genny! Simple and classy!!!!

43. Mamazita!

August 10, 2010 at 1:46 pm

You people have come o! Tunde Kilani, Izu Ojukwu and Kunle Afolayan are all directors and Emem Isong is a writer and a producer. Where in lies the comparison? Abeg leave them jor! They are all good in their own fields. But I think Emem tells more interesting stories…the others are good with pictures and shoots.

44. elisa

August 10, 2010 at 3:47 pm

I agree with Mamazita, Emem is a writer/ Producer and by God she is good, the aformentioned individuals are directors and they are excellent in their crafts. So please the comparison between them is moot.

For those of you who watched Bursting Out, a review would be much appreciated. I need them to release these movies on DVD ASAP.

Movies that I am anciously waiting for on DVD are: IJE, Bursting Out, Tango with Me, Mirror Boy, Felicima (Yes they are all Genny’s movies, I absolutely adore her). I’m waiting for Nollywood Hustler from Uche, she has paid her dues and is steadily paying off for her. Big ups to that woman, I love her hair cut, I read an interview recently were she said she was going to chop off her hair, which she has done and it is very becoming. I wish them all good luck, they are all making naija proud.

45. mariaah

August 10, 2010 at 5:40 pm

Desmond Elliot!! Fire your stylist and if you don’t have one then get a good one!!
    What’s wit the waist coat??wrong move and the scarf around your neck, seriously???Makes you look fat/uncomfortable and just all over the place…That shirt is a nice looking shirt, could have just won a good matching tie or a tailored blazer…My verdict..Everyone else looks nice…
    Am sorry but just saw a pic of him on F.B..

46. bbie

August 10, 2010 at 5:51 pm

phew!!!!! so hot in here! what’s the fight about the best producer? I may not know Javk, but I now emem Isong is new school, even though I don’t like her person, Kunle Afolayan is good at shooting and picture quality. But methinks Figurine is way better than Burstin’ out.

And yeah, the sound track’s nice bcos it was done by Essence, yes the same Essence who did superstory soundtrack, I heard her say so on tv last week

And can some one please tell me what Desmond is doing with that monkey jacket?
    Monalisa looks like a doll
    Omoni Oboli, doesn’t have the x-factor yet…

47. Bulldog

August 10, 2010 at 6:53 pm

@bbie you must have been born just after y2k. Emem Isong? New School? What’s your definition of new school? And to say you don’t like her person, wetin come bring that one? I’m sure you must have tried acting or writing and didn’t cut it.

FYI: Kunle Afolayan was at the premiere of Bursting Out and he was seen having the fun of his life, even at the after party. Abeg no bother taking panadol for another person’s headache. Kunle doesn’t need it

48. olive

August 10, 2010 at 6:56 pm

@sco-sco….lol, stop dreaming of it. its on sale for 150 quid in-store

49. Afam Orji

August 10, 2010 at 7:10 pm

I can’t wait to watch both movies and even Kajola.

50. iy

August 10, 2010 at 7:15 pm

@bbie. Na wa to you o. How did you watch the movie bursting out? It’s not yet showing or is it? Essence did the soundtrack. You have absolutely confused me. If you don’t like emem’s person, why are you attending her premiere?

51. ogefierce

August 10, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Nadia Nadia Nadia…waaaayyyyyy tooooo much makeup!!!!!!

52. Zahra

August 10, 2010 at 9:40 pm

Bursting Out Rocked…was super funny…typically cheesy in a good way ofcourse and Genny was FABULOUS!!! Please I need to know who her hair stylist was in that flick. Majid was such a dork it worked for the flick. Omoni and Nse in supporting roles also did justice to their characters. I recommend this if you want a good laugh and a tear here and there. As some one said it is a chick flick … another phrase for romantic comedy. You should see it. As for Holding Hope….I left. Perhaps this edit either did not do justice to the film or it was just plain crap. The only person I was feeling was Nadia Buari (why does she always either play the tragic mulatto or the slutty mistress/girlfriend) I have seen Biola Williams in a better “aristocratic” role. Uche Jumbo lacked range and needs to stop with that one expression of hers. Anyways I still LOVE nollywood!!!

53. Lola

August 11, 2010 at 12:21 am

@bbie… Essence did not do the soundtrack…. it was done by a guy, Slam! Maybe youre mixing Bursting Out with Guilty Pleasures which Essence did and excellently too, if i might add!

54. NmaNma

August 11, 2010 at 2:01 am

Ucheeeeee! wow! Nne bikoooo keep this hair!!! Az in, it is too glam! U sure r blazing ur own trail girl…cos none has done it like this before! Set ur self apart from the rest and show the world that nollywood can look beautiful and fierce sans hideous wigs and weaves. I LOVE THIS!!!

55. lara

August 20, 2010 at 12:28 am

Uche is definitely working that hair cut and i totally love Stephanie’s hair. That aside, i can’t wait to watch those movies.

56. constantz

August 24, 2010 at 3:44 am

loving mizz uche’s hair/lack there of. You go girl, In general sha naija ladies (ok most) in these events need to cut the make up/paint on their faces in half, we have beautiful women but all that make up cheapens out look.

57. fusi

August 26, 2010 at 3:45 pm

hmmmmmmmmmmm that i can’ t wait to watch

58. fusi

August 26, 2010 at 3:49 pm

Desmond cld dress like this !!!! na weti e wellam for e music so ?????????????

59. stella

September 15, 2010 at 11:20 pm

i love you genny i am your greatest fan of all time u are the greatest home and international.wish to see one day in life. uche you great,beautiful,gorgeous and elegant,so also goes to my queen stephanny

60. Pocahontas

November 15, 2010 at 9:46 am

why does nadia always look surprised? …thinking?/?

61. ama

January 8, 2011 at 1:43 am

uche looks sexy n sweet

62. Chioma.

April 6, 2011 at 6:15 pm

love Nadia’s dress- the lady is really pretty!!!

63. lucile

August 7, 2011 at 9:51 pm

terrible makeup genevieve

64. obey

August 22, 2011 at 12:54 am

genneviev luks very horrible like a caricature with those heavy make ups and her attire too no no, uche waoh u luk gud, stephanie well done, monalisa, the best attire kip it up