News

BBC World Documentary on Nigeria “My Country” by Funmi Iyanda & Chris Dada kicks off with “Lagos Stories” This Weekend

BellaNaija.com

My Country” a three-part documentary on Nigeria produced and hosted by Funmi Iyanda will be broadcast on BBC World this Saturday, October 2nd 2010.

To commemorate Nigeria’s 50th anniversary, the BBC will air this three-part documentary that captures people and conversations around Nigeria. Embark on an epic journey around Nigeria and discover authentic Nigerian stories told from the Nigerian perspective. “My Country” has captured the heart and spirit of the Nigerian people, engaging them in eye-opening and down to earth conversations about their unique Nigerian experience.

The documentary features the stories of various Nigerians – from ordinary citizens going about their business to celebrities in unusual but natural settings – capturing discussions that range from the hard hitting stories of the day to the every day challenges of Nigerian life.

The documentary is directed by award winning director Chris Dada.

The first part of the documentary “Lagos Stories” will air on BBC World this weekend.

Synopsis for Lagos Stories

This is an in-depth look into one of the most fascinating and populated cities in the world. For many outsiders, the city of Lagos is chaotic & daunting, and inspires a mixture of fear and admiration. Yet for the people who call it home, they manage life and living in this would be urban jungle with gusto and verve.

This episode reveals the complexities of life in the city’s expanding landscape and the challenge of leadership. We are introduced to the man charged with the herculean task of organizing Lagos, and in doing so is changing the face of Nigerian leadership. We also hear from a legendary cult hero who has unwittingly become the voice of the downtrodden and disenfranchised Lagosian motorcycle riders.

Finally the episode delves into the lives of some “seemingly” impoverished yet astonishingly proud and resilient people whose self-sufficiency and enterprise is truly inspirational.

For eight years, Funmi Iyanda produced and hosted Nigeria’s most acclaimed studio talk show, New Dawn, before launching Talk With Funmi. Funmi Iyanda wanted to create a platform where authentic Nigerian stories told by Nigerians could be heard. “I truly believe that nobody can tell our stories the way we can. It is time for Nigerians to tell our own stories with knowledge, intellect, creativity and truth.”

“Lagos Stories” airs on BBC World on Saturday 2nd October 5:10am & 6:10pm with a repeat showing on Sunday 3rd October 11:10am and 12:10am
Don’t miss part 2 & 3 airing on BBC World: October 9th – 05:10am & 6:10pm and October 16th – 05:10am & 6:10pm respectively.

1. Odufaderin Sandra

September 30, 2010 at 4:39 pm

keep it up girl

2. MO

September 30, 2010 at 4:57 pm

ride on sis,
    LOOKING FORWARD TO THE SHOW

3. Sade

September 30, 2010 at 5:20 pm

Hmmmm, Funmi doesn’t do things in small measure, weldone Funmi. Av always loved her autheticity.

4. Gino

September 30, 2010 at 6:32 pm

5. Pam

September 30, 2010 at 7:46 pm

Funmi’s Ignite Media is producing for BBC World 🙂 Im glad Nigerians are showing the world we can meet and set international standards. Good job girl!

6. Pam

September 30, 2010 at 7:48 pm

of course this is a repackaged “talk with funmi” but im glad its getting some shine on the BBC for Nigeria @50.

7. Blackberry

September 30, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Fantastic!!! i hope this documentary dispels all the negative messages in the “welcome to Lagos” BBC documentary. cant wait to see this.

• titi

October 1, 2010 at 11:00 am

What negative messages? na wa o. for goodness sake we are a bloody third world country, why are we pretending and how is the pretending going to help us? If we keep deceiving ourselves like this, in 20 years time there may not be solution or even a plan.

• WaleAdeniji

October 5, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Titi, much as we all agree that what we watch in “Welcome to Lagos” or whatever title was given to it is the truth. That we have slums in Lagos. We however also need to appreciate the good aspect of Lagos if that is what Funmi is all out to do. The west cannot continue to stereotype us as dirty and never do well people and we keep taking all those shit. It is how country and we have no other one. You and i may have citizenship of other countries, but we will remain second class citizens. Where we are first class is Nigeria and only Nigeria alone. The way we say we are to the world is the way they will take us. I work and reside in Kuwait and i never knew there is slum in Kuwait until i visited a place called Asabiyah. My God! Ajelogo, Ajegunle and other slums we know in Lagos are far better than this place i mentioned. But you will never see them exposing those slums to the world but only the good place. I understand where you stand. That we could do better. Yes we can. But it will be a gradual process. Funmi is only playing her part. You and i have got to play our’s too to enable us get to that promise land.

• Sharon

October 6, 2010 at 12:51 pm

Dear Titi, Why don’t you just leave the country. We shall be very happy to miss you. I can assure you that there are many third world countries out there and their citizens are still happy that they have a country to call their own!

8. Yaya84

September 30, 2010 at 11:22 pm

She looks stunning. Can’t wait!

9. DUDU

October 1, 2010 at 8:05 am

Finally some sort of rejoinder to welcome to lagos. Can’t wait

10. LoveShow

October 1, 2010 at 8:53 am

Can someone pls explain the ‘BBC World’ is it the radio world service or its one of the BBC tv channels???

11. margaret

October 2, 2010 at 7:32 pm

I always love your show, even when you used to do the new dawn show.I see you have a new show and I watched your beautiful beautiful documentary on BBC. it’s even makes love you more. I feel like I can help you take it to a different level. keep it up and keep your heads up.luv from ur biggest fans

12. margaret

October 2, 2010 at 8:37 pm

Funmi Babe, your documentary on BBC. was the best documentary ever! It is well put together,and I love that miracle man called Governor Fashola. I called him miracle man because he is the kind of politician nigeria people has long dream for, for a very very long time and now he is here making things happen, making a different in peoples lifes. what a great gift from God for lagos,even though I’m not there in lagos matter of fact, I never live in lagos before but, I AM VERY HAPPY FOR THEM BECAUSE GOOD LEADERSHIP HAS NEVER BEEN IN NIGERIA BEFORE, SO GOOD TO SEE SOMEONE LIKE GOVERNOR FASHOLA and now, maybe, other governors could follow his foot step and do the same and Funmi can you please follow it up to even go more further to other governors to ask them why they are not doing what governor Fashola is doing in their state, because I really think that you’re parts of the forces behind the changes in nigeria today, you might not know it now but, by bringing the news to ordinary citizens on the street who wouldn’t get it in any other way means giving them a chance to give their concerns & opinion to their leaders. thank you and keep you head up.

13. Pelican

October 3, 2010 at 7:19 am

I met the documentary half way yesterday. I hope Sunday commitments will allow me watch it full later today. For now I can only say it is quite an interesting piece.

14. Bolaji

October 3, 2010 at 4:57 pm

I was so so impressed with the documentry. I have grown to expect great things from Funmi Iyanda and she has never let me down.I cant wait for the other two episodes.

15. omah

October 3, 2010 at 10:50 pm

im am a young broadcaster who just kick started her career and Funmi Iyanda has aways been a true inspiration and an example for me.
    Keep it going

16. Sharon

October 6, 2010 at 12:38 pm

With this the whole world might get to know that it is a very minute number of the people living in this country that spoil her image(mostly politicians). In any event, it would be great if this man Fashola could run against those nut heads in PDP for the presidency of this country. Funmi we love. Naija for life!!!

17. Runi Toconillo

October 11, 2010 at 1:54 pm

Thanks for linking my video.. I have now uploaded part 2 “Living Off The Land” and God willing I will also upload part 3 next week. Keep watching, rating and commentingand feel free to embed he videos or post them to friends. I do this for free, so my only profit is in providing this free service to the world. For Part 2 “Living Off The Land, please see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wcNDKarSVI . Please note that I have a compülete Playlist on Africa, so pleasse visit my Channel. Many thanks to all viewers, Blessings, Runi.

18. sade

October 13, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Funmi is good when it comes to tv, i feel she should be supported, she has content not razzmatazz. Weldone Funmi.

19. OKIEMUTE WILLIAMS (CALEB UNIVERSITY IMOTA)

January 16, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Nigeria documentary to be shown on BBC that a good idea, i believe through this documentary may be the negative perception the world has for Nigeria will change, people can watch and see the different cultures, food, dance, clothes of nigerian, FUNMI IYANDA Has done a wonderful job keep it up.