News

Uche’s Guide to BellaNaija in 2011

Uche P

Wow! I can’t believe we are here.

After a blessed 12 months in 2010, a new year has bloomed and we are here in January 2011.
2010 was an amazing year for me and the BellaNaija and BainStone (BellaNaija’s Parent Company) family.
When I quit my full-time job in late 2009 to focus on building this brand as a business, I had no idea where to start. I knew two things though – 1) I was passionate about BN, and 2) I also knew that the people who visit BN are incredibly passionate about BN as well – So that was convincing enough for me to take the plunge!

It has been a thrilling (sometimes scary but always exciting) journey. A little over a year after  ‘the big plunge’, we have been featured on Oprah and CNN, we won the Africa Fashion Award for Fashion Communicator of the Year 2010 – we have also seen our readership soar from 427,533 Pageviews in January 2010 to 1,793,346 Pageviews in November 2010! With that, our web ranking rose making us the No 1 original content entertainment and lifestyle website in Africa.
We have only one person to thank for that – YOU!

Along with the BellaNaija team including our fabulous (and award-winning) Style Editor – Ijeoma Ndekwu and our wonderful Features Editor – Glory Edozien, our savvy Editorial Assistant – Gbenga Awomodu alongside Jite Ovueraye – our smart Business Development Analyst from the BainStone team and the talented writers and photographers (Kola & D) who contribute their work to be featured on BN; I aspire to make this a groundbreaking year for BN and for YOU!

We shall be amping things up with a glorious stream of what you have come to love about BellaNaija – Weddings, Events, Style, Music, Movies, Celebrities, Relationships and all that fun stuff! Did you notice that I did not mention – gossip? BN is focused on celebrating ‘the African Dream’ – entertaining, informing and most importantly – inspiring everyone who ever clicks on the site. We are currently building the areas which were on the backburner including our Career and Beauty sections. Late last year, we re-energized our Inspired section and we will be building it even further in 2011. In addition, we are exploring and testing new sections and features that we believe will add to the BellaNaija Experience. We are also working through technical upgrades (For Example, we  have heard your feedback and are working on the comments section) and improved social media interaction on the site.

Later in the year, expect a MAJOR change plus a big celebration for our 5th anniversary (Yes, we shall be sharing gifts!)

I will like to extend a sincere THANK YOU to everyone who visits BellaNaija as well as our advertisers; you are a blessing to us and we are so grateful! I will also like to encourage you to embrace this year as a new opportunity to explore and live a happier, healthier, wealthier and more exciting life – Take the plunge!

Anyway, enough of the mush! We’ve got lots of exciting content on the way – starting today. Over the next few weeks, we will be dishing out lots of content that you might have missed over the last month – the Christmas events, weddings etc…alongside fresh content – as it happens! We already have a major exclusive coming up next week!

Thank You.
God Bless.

xx
Uche
Founding Editor, BellaNaija.com | MD, BainStone

Get In Touch

General Enquiries: bella @ bellanaija.com
Style Editor – Ijeoma Ndekwu: ijeoma.ndekwu @ bellanaija.com
Features Editor – Glory Edozien: glory.edozien @ bellanaija.com
Weddings: bella @ bellanaija.com
Music: music @ bellanaija.com
Advertisements: adsales @ bellanaija.com

Only the individuals listed above are authorized to represent BellaNaija.com

Facebook
Twitter

1. Hazelavelie

January 10, 2011 at 7:13 am

Congrats to the BN team! We can’t wait!!

• Q-styl

January 21, 2011 at 6:26 pm

Congrats to the entire team. Im really proud of Uche. If she can, I can!

2. shade

January 10, 2011 at 7:15 am

Just for kicks, I’ma say first!!!

Cheers to Uche Eze & BN.

3. Nono

January 10, 2011 at 7:23 am

Uche, I think you have to be careful because as you acknowledge it is the readers that make Bella NAija what it is. Most of December and even now, there is hardly been any new posts instead we hear promises of better content. Just update with new posts no need for long story. I for one have starting losing interest in visiting the site. Remember Hi5 and facebook?? I love and appreciate what you guys do but I think it is important to put things in perspective. You can’t sustain a no 1 position with the current level of coverage. Best of luck with 2011 though!

4. cheaster

January 10, 2011 at 7:37 am

I wish you the very best of 2011, its been wonderful having a blog site that shows the true creativity of the african people $ showing a new meaning to the web world to the young$ aspiring nigerians. Pls keep up the good work,am expecting a lot from the careers$motivational section,don’t fail in that area.

5. nice

January 10, 2011 at 7:41 am

nice!

6. THE AMAKA

January 10, 2011 at 7:50 am

WE LOVE YOU BN & BN TEAM!!!!

7. fokasibe

January 10, 2011 at 8:32 am

Looking forward!!! Happy New YYear Bella Naijans!!!

8. Ready

January 10, 2011 at 9:32 am

I understand why there’ve been fewer posts, but you gotta make it up to us (e.g. make Bobo T write more frequently 😀

As a devoted & understanding reader (who should be rewarded with give-away prizes) I understand the reason for fewer posts, but you gotta make it up to us (e.g. have Bobo T & Glory write more frequently). You say no gossip, has there ever been? More weddings are necessary sha, those, fashion, and relationship features too. Congratulations on your success…and I look forward to more awesome things from you guys.

9. pearl

January 10, 2011 at 10:12 am

i cant wait to start devouring new updates on bellanaija. Bellanaija i love you joor

10. yemi

January 10, 2011 at 10:32 am

Under the people to contact for BN, I don’t  Jite’s name there isn’t he a BN rep?

11. AB

January 10, 2011 at 10:44 am

Roger that Nono. And there are some hot new guys doing hot new stuff o! Bella sit up o. Some are just months old sef. Shant name names!

12. Bola

January 10, 2011 at 11:58 am

Nono

oh puhleeze! Bella deserves a break to revamp! You guys are not paying her! If you deserve a break and a holiday/leave then I think she deserves one too. If you feel you have lost interest then i guarantee you that for every one reader that leaves then TEN more will join! Bella/Uche Eze is an inspiration. She is one person that let me know (personally) that yes I can! She also the site to beat! hahaha! You go girl! We your true fans are solidly behind you!

13. chynneka

January 10, 2011 at 1:19 pm

uche, glory et al, i think u guys hv bn doing a great job on d site..WELL DONE!!! Jst make sur dis yr is better than d last and plsss, more articles!!!!

14. iya

January 10, 2011 at 1:49 pm

Bola you are missing Nonos point. She isnt criticizing BN but pointing out how dry it was in December when many people had the time to browse the pages. For weeks on end nothing new was added to BN and I must admit it was extremely boring, however Uche has promised us new things so we look forward to it with glee!

If every one had your attitude of ‘good riddance’, then no company will succeed because the customer is always right and you have to do things to keep them coming back. Thank God you dont own Bellanaija, with that stinking attitude of yours no one will bother to log on. God bless Uche!

Anyway, Congrats Uche, I love your site and always look forward to popping in. Got it permanently booked marked on my PC and BB. Looking forward to the revamp in 2011.
    Your biggest fan 🙂

15. BC

January 10, 2011 at 3:10 pm

Uche you are doing an awesome job. I dont know how you guys do it. BN was a big part of my life in 2010. In fact, it changed my life a little. More blessings for 2011. Cant imagine my life woithout BN now. We’ve missed you, welcome back.

16. tatafo!

January 10, 2011 at 3:23 pm

Hope 2011 brings bigger and better things for you than 2010 ever did. Just keep working hard and delivering good content and thank you for listening to your readership. This is a community effort. Hope you gifts reach US/Canadian readers too lol

17. Timma

January 10, 2011 at 3:37 pm

happy new year to u Uche and BN team. We are expecting new contents, wishing u a great year ahead

18. glamrepottv

January 10, 2011 at 3:44 pm

we welcome uche and the team back, and cant wait for all the new exciting content

19. Lamide A.

January 10, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Proud of you! You’ve come a long way o! I remember the blogspot days 😉 & hope to see you grow even more!

20. Miss A.T.L.

January 10, 2011 at 4:45 pm

*dances in anticipation* We missed you Bella Naija!!!!!!! Glad to have you back.

21. Chibaby

January 10, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Congrats to the BN team. I agree with Nono’s point. Please hurry up and revamp. BN is looking more like how soap operas are(example, Peter raised his hand to slap Kendra- after you took 6 months break of watching, you come back to find out that Peter just landed the slap on Kendra).

You guys are doing good job, but I feel that BN team can do better. Give us weekly or bi-weekly updates on every tab.

BN lover.

22. D.O.T.M.H

January 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm

Awww… we love you Uche!!

23. Friend of Zara

January 10, 2011 at 5:37 pm

1.7million viewsss! DAMNNNNNNNNNN!!!!! get it girl!

24. kreamy

January 10, 2011 at 7:48 pm

BN u guys r jst great. Rili missed u though. Hope dis year wld be way better than last yr

25. Temiloluwa Adebayo

January 11, 2011 at 12:07 am

Well done Uche and BN!!! Love BN to little bits and I aint ashamed to say it! Can’t wait to see what’s in store 😀

26. NNENNE

January 11, 2011 at 1:31 am

Hang in there, girl….We LOVE YOU.

27. vickky

January 11, 2011 at 12:57 pm

What!!!!!??? You didnt acknowledge Bobo Omotayo and his “kilon sparkles” friday posts……..which didnt come out all december. sigh.
    Seriously, you guys are doing great. keep up the good work and we’ll keep on reading. cheers.

28. Jojo

January 11, 2011 at 5:28 pm

I started visiting bellanaija a long tym ago. Thank God for d success it has turned out to be. I remember bak then in university, all my friends wud gather round my PC, and despite d fluctuating wireless internet connection, we’d be flipping pages on BN. Thanks 2 me, most of dem r nw ardent BN visitors!
    Thumbs up to U guys. Can’t imagine a day without bella9ja

29. lizzy

January 14, 2011 at 1:23 pm

Waiting for all that you have promised Uche…..Happy New year to you all and all the fans of BN. Greater things await.. 🙂

30. Tina Ike

January 30, 2011 at 5:09 am

Better late than never, Uche/BN Team sending you big Kudos to your work here and wishing you the very best in 2011. I love the part your revamp says about gossip it shows the niche you are working on your brand focus, being in PR&Marketing i appreciate the work you guys put it, it can get hard providing good content and consistently but you guys make it so easy and i applaud everywhere i go. Keep up the good work, the world is watching!

31. myne Whitman

February 2, 2011 at 3:40 am

Just seeing this now. Well done to you all.