News

Get Off the Fence!

I’m not a fan of politics of any sort. In fact, much to my shame; I haven’t followed the political preparations for our upcoming elections that closely. I got my voters card very reluctantly at the end of the allocated period and ended up queuing for 3 consecutive days before I could get my card. But for some strange reason, I’ve suddenly gotten very fired up and upset about the state of things.

Maybe it’s the fact that we are more comfortable going to the pharmacy instead of the hospital when we are sick. Maybe it’s the realization that a majority of Nigerian youth are either unemployed, or underemployed. Maybe it’s the fact that Nigerian education can either be affordable or academically sound, not both. Or maybe it’s because NEPA has refused to provide power for the last 3 days and my freezer now stinks of rotten meat. Or perhaps it has something to do with the price of diesel growing faster than the speed of light. Take your pick.

This is not a call for any political aspirant or a clarion call for any party. But for how much longer are we going to wait before we realize that it is up to US, to make our country the nation of our dreams? 3 out of 4 Nigerians live on less than N250 a day. We relocate to other countries for a decent standard of living, and polish off our education abroad for it to make sense. 8 hours of steady electricity a day is impossible for some states and traveling by road is more of a risk than anything else. When will we have enough?

The elections are finally here, have we thought of who we are voting for and why? We must, because we are the only ones who can bring change to this country. When Lagos Sate citizens protested against the tolls on the Lekki-Epe tollgate and the government responded by canceling the collection of toll fees, it was not just an indication of a listening government, but the clear evidence of what people can achieve when they come together to declare for a common goal.

In a taxi on my way home recently, I listened to Fela singing “Suffering and smiling”…how many years after that song was first heard, we still complain of the very same problems, the very same situation and yet the truth is, change can only come from us.

I for one am tired of reading in the international press about our intertribal violence, our fraud or our immense and immensely mismanaged wealth. I’m ready to hear more about scientific advances, about a growing economic climate, about the harnessing of our natural and mineral resources. Do you know that almost every state in Nigeria has at least one exportable product? From coal, cash crops to limestone, every state has got something to offer and let’s not even talk about tourism. Yet, there are people who still do not know that you can fetch water from a tap, people who still think that the only way to cook is with firewood. It’s our sad reality, but it doesn’t have to stay that way.

Just like every Nigerian seems to know exactly how the Super Eagles should be coached, and we all know exactly what is wrong with every Nollywood movie we watch, we are also experts on our problems as a nation. For years now we have complained on Facebook, Twitter and in the ears of passers-by about all of Nigeria’s problems. We not only know what the problems are, we know exactly how they must be fixed. Yet, how many of us will take the step to the polling booth to vote? For the first time in a long time, we are in a position to affect our direction; we have watched Election Debates, listened to reports and read editorials. We know our aspirants, we also know what we expect from these aspirants, so we can make it happen. This is our opportunity to finally take a step in the right direction. We might not achieve the Nigeria of our dreams overnight, but at least we can end the nightmare that things have become.

If we don’t vote in these elections, then to be honest, we have no justification any longer to complain about the state of our economy, epileptic power supply, poor roads or any of the other ills. If we don’t vote and things stay the same, we should all accept it as our due and make the best of it, because it was up to us, and we let it go.

We should not only be angry for Nigeria, we should be angry enough to make a change. We are fortunate that we do not have to fight to the death for that change, as happened in Egypt and Tunisia, but this is a fight nonetheless. I don’t know yet though, if we realize just how much of a fight it is.

A couple of weeks ago, a young aspiring actress named Chidinma Mbalaso died in a hospital in Kaduna. For hours after her accident, friends sent broadcasts asking for Type B or O blood. It seems ridiculous to me that there was none available in a hospital! We will never know if the early provision of that blood might have saved her life. Practically everyone knows a story like this; aren’t we tired of hearing and repeating them? We deserve hospitals where we can get the best medical care, where death is more than an avoidable calamity. This is what voting boils down to not just who rules Nigeria, but how those people will change our lives.

We are fighting a war of our own, we have casualties almost daily, we have our weapons (our votes) and yet some of us are refusing to use them.

We cannot all be Presidents, Ministers, or Lawmakers, but we can all be agents of change. So come tomorrow, let us together take a step towards the necessary change that Nigeria, our beloved Country so desperately needs.

Photo Credit: http://news.onlinenigeria.com

1. Tomisin

April 8, 2011 at 1:00 pm

I find it very strange that nobody is rushing to comment on this post.. I find it absolutely irking when Nigerians will rather feign i dont care or it doesnt affect me when it comes to the state of our nation.. please get informed and get involved.. your vote counts and really get off the fence! well put together piece. now lets read and go do something about it

2. BAVA

April 8, 2011 at 1:09 pm

This is the Best write up I’ve read so far on the 2011 election encouraging eligible persons to vote.

I was actually chatting with a friend of mine this morning who said he is not going to cast his vote in the senatorial election and i left my mouth wide opened….I just couldn’t believe he said that because he is supposed to lead by example. i asked him why and he said because he is not familiar or doesn’t know anything about the candidates. C’mmon!!! We should not wait for tv stations to organize debates before we know wh to vote for but make research and ask questions about these people campaigning to represent us.

We all need to work together to make Nigeria a better place. I strongly believe we (YOUTHS) can make a change! We can make a change by not being selfish and corrupt. We shouldn’t allow these olders ones who will soon take their exit out of this world dictate our future to us.

Change we need and we can make it happen! 231d245b

3. Luvlyn

April 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Numero uno!!!

• Bola

April 8, 2011 at 11:57 pm

Even in this sober moment of reflecting, I have to mention the magic words, “Not quite!” Loool! The Amaka, see what you have caused! hahaha!

• xadex

April 9, 2011 at 12:38 am

Really? Please why did you comment? People are talking about serious things here and your contribution is this? ok then…. (p.s you weren’t 1st )

• Bola

April 9, 2011 at 1:14 pm

You know this tradition is not going away anytime soon so sorry you will have to bear with us! 🙂

4. Sobe

April 8, 2011 at 1:26 pm

Lets all vote and make a change!!!!!!!

5. jummy

April 8, 2011 at 1:29 pm

cool

6. creamichoco

April 8, 2011 at 1:49 pm

nice touching..i wish so manynigerians can read this and decide to make an impact…nice piece…

7. Miss Face

April 8, 2011 at 2:00 pm

Very well analyzed! “Going to the pharmacy instead of the hospital when ill”, that really struck a nerve deep down and has suddenly made me very angry at the state of things in our country. Talk about suffering and smilling! However, I strongly believe that there is hope, considering how for the 1st time ever, everyone wants change and wants to be a part of the process.I heard that during a gubernatorial campaign in one of the states,each time the candidate(who is also the incumbent)shouts with clenched fists:”PDP!!!!”, the masses would respond also with clenched fists:”CHANGE!!!!!!”Need i say more?Nigerians have just about had it and we are indeed ready for change!Let’s vote.Please!

8. Word!

April 8, 2011 at 2:24 pm

I 100% agree wif u….
    I am 2 turn 18 in 3mnths & unfortunately nt able 2 vote……but I will make it my duty 2 vote in subsequent elections…….
    Long live Nigeria!!!!

P.S….first 2 comment and first post (had always been a silent BN reader)

• Ready

April 8, 2011 at 5:04 pm

Eeeyah…and I take immense pleasure in giving you your first ‘Not quite’. Ndo, it isn’t easy.
      Now that that’s outta the way, we’ve heard this before but can never hear it enough especially as election is a day away (fingers crossed Jega), but this is a beautifully written article. I really want politicians to get the message loud and clear…your deep pockets do not sway us anymore. We want change!

9. Mex

April 8, 2011 at 2:44 pm

I’m right there with you. I look around, and all I see are citizens interested in gossips, night parties, aristo, popping champagne, sex, and drugs. None of them care about where this country is heading. We are the most blessed country in the world…yes, tell America I said it. We have been blessed with perfect weather, unlimited natural resources, and good geographical location to help our exports but yet, we mismanage these blessings, and cry foul at our so called “politrickal” leaders. We are the change we need. We must initiate the change we want. We have allowed ourselves to be distracted by trivial things while these old men loot and rape our country. We hail criminals that steal billions and punish hungry citizens that still hundreds. Personally, I would vote for Buhari because he is in a better position to lead this country forward. Jonathan is good but he is in bed with the very incompetent fools that have led this country astray. Stand up people! wise up! This is our country, our motherland, our first love; let’s come together, and push these perverts out of our political spectrum.

10. Theresa

April 8, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Wow!!! I am standing and clapping for you Arit! Very true and straight to the point. We Nigerians have PhD in complaining (I am guilty too), but will not lift a finger to make any change. If we cannot sacrifice some time at the polling queues, then we should not complain about NEPA wahala, doctors strikes, abbatoirs in the name of hospitals, etc. Unfortunately I can’t vote because I live outside the country. Chidinma Mbalaso’s case is soooo sad, the poor girl and her friends just watching as she slowly died. Sadly this is not a one-off, it happens very often, i too have lost a family member because of this inefficiency. Who knows who next it might happen to? Pls friends, lets be the change we want,vote for change.

11. dewowo

April 8, 2011 at 3:07 pm

Clicked my ‘like’ button… gbam!

12. Barbie

April 8, 2011 at 3:20 pm

First of all, nice writeup Arit!
    But i couldn’t help but laugh at all these comments. Like seriously are y’all for real? Please do something better with your life, help the needy and poor then wait for Christ to come again and judge everyone.
    Is a pity your lamentations, worries and votes wont solve Nigeria’s problems. Lets face it.. this hoodlums and greedy fools have already selected their candidates as usual and nothing can change that except God.
    Im sorry to say this is high time Nigerians realized that they dont matter to their leaders.
    Vote all you want but mark my word your votes wont count. Peace!

• Ready

April 8, 2011 at 5:10 pm

Wow…Really? And you have/had a blog? Is this what you spread? Many of us are not helpless like you; we will not sit on our hands to wait for God while a very small minority continue to run things. There are 360 members of Naij’s House of Reps, 109 members of Senate, 36 governors, and a president to be chosen; and you tell me that in these times of increased voter participation, youth zeal, international monitoring, and increased social media, that our votes will influence none of these. No boo, are YOU for real? I really can’t help but laugh at you and your ignorant helplessness.

• partyrider

April 8, 2011 at 9:38 pm

i reject you and your likes from the minds,heart and activities of Nigeria..AMEN

• partyrider

April 8, 2011 at 10:14 pm

Great article..
      @barbie are u Nigerian?i really have to ask.apart from ur comment that i find annoying,ignorant and absurd,you keep using “your” meaning its not ur business and u are not part of Nigeria abi..well READY has already given u a good answer..

• Zainab

April 8, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I agree with you 100%, we all know the election is going to be ridged as usually, so y waste my precious time to vote knowing that it wont count. All we need in Nigeria now is God’s intervention and I pray He answer our prayers.

• K!

April 11, 2011 at 2:37 pm

My dear, God isn’t going to come down from Heaven to intervene. He’ll work through you & I. So, go out there, join the queue and VOTE! Kapish?

13. W

April 8, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Nice Write up….it so convincing…am gon go out der to cast my vote whether it counts or not. We need Change!!!!.

14. BAVA

April 8, 2011 at 3:51 pm

@ Barbie….I don’t quiet agree with you on this. Remember all the happenstances affects you in one way or the other. I personally believe that if PDP, ACN, SDP, LP and so on already have a candidate that no matter what they believe will win and just 500 youths decide to make a change by voting for a credible leader, beleive me the youths will beat whichever party that has already chosen someone that the whole world think will become the next governor, president, senator what have you…and that is why it is called A VOTE. Just a single VOTE can make a DIFFERENCE my dear.

Besides, no one is judging anybody! The poor which you seem to be fighting for will IMMENSELY benefit from the CHANGE we are talking about here. you don’t have to give the poor money before they can be satisfied but give them right to LIFE (HOSPITAL AMENITIES), EDUCATION, ELECTRICITY ETC. It has worked in the past and it can still work. Take this or leave it everything lies in the hands of the YOUTHS. like i said earlier, let’s make a change. Let’s vote right!

15. We Are Who We Are

April 8, 2011 at 4:51 pm

M.I. rapped in his song “Epic” off his 2010 album MI2: ” We are our own tomorrow/ we can’t be ruled by relics”

It is fair enough for everyone to aspire for the finer things in life – Ikoyi townhouses, fancy clothes, popping champagne and exotic coochies, dating models and rich heirs, being the toast of ThisDay Style and all that, but when the come down comes to the come down, all these things would not matter with the level of bad governance, failure of government and authority at many levels, high unemployment, poverty and ignorance in this great country.

Please vote, but better yet evaluate the candidates very well, and focus on issues not just personalities. Endeavour to research the profiles of candidates; do not just go off on what you have heard or read in a soft-sell print. Voting your kinsman due to racial sentiments can end up being counterproductive. Nigeria is too rich in human resources not to rise up from its present state of mediocrity. When I read the comments on BN, it brings a smile to my face though I do not always agree with every point.

Sometimes on hot, sleepless nights, I find myself looking at rooftop tiles, re-evaluating our nation’s profile. Watching my ceiling fan turn slower and slower, until it becomes a blur and merges with the sound of my neighbours rusty generator.

Nigeria is in a mess, and this election has to be the portal to a new era. My dreams sometimes take me in a new wonderland, where:

Nigeria was not dependant on petroleum anymore for its main source of revenue. There were huge farms and plantations in every state growing and exporting cash crops and food crops like cocoa, rubber, groundnuts, beans, rice, yams etc.

The Federal Government was paying farmers an incentive to discourage them from growing palm-oil as it was now over-produced.

In fact individual states had found various mineral resources to export. Delta State produced some of the world’s most decorated water Olympiads winning gold medals at the recently concluded Zamfara Olympics in sports like diving, swimming and water polo.

Imo State now looked like Monaco. Tourists came from far and wide to sail their boats on Oguta Lake and jet-ski on the Imo River. Owerri was a sprawling city, transformed from an education and civil service town to an industrial powerhouse courtesy of its oil wells.

Yatch sailing in Imo

Lagos also exported its technical know-how on tax collection and tollgate construction to other African countries.

Olumo Rock in Ogun State was now a bigger tourist destination than the Eiffel tower. Tourists came from all over the world to propose to their spouses and to climb the rock.

The Yankari Game Reserve in Bauchi State recently bought Paul the Octopus from a zoo in Germany. The octopus predicted that Nigeria will win the U-17 world cup again, this time with players really under 17.

Nigeria was among the biggest economies in the world. Senators no longer fought over Ghana-Must-Go bags. In fact anyone seen with a Ghana-must-go bag was guilty of possession of a dangerous weapon punishable by 25 to life. I made a mental note to remove all my baffs and clothes from my Ghana bags and burn the bags when I get home.

A very reserved business man called Chief Prince Okoronkwo Agujiegbe was now the richest man in the world – his company Olisa and Brothers Electronics had just bought over General Electric, and his other Ochuzo Motors had taken over General Motors.

Obudu Cattle Ranch in Cross River was the new Gstaad.

City night

Damaturu, Maiduguri, Lafia, Gusau, Abakaliki, Osogbo, Potiskum, Sapele and all other state capitals were all modern and thriving cities with banks, finance houses, restaurants, cafes, industries and airports.

The Niger Delta was the new Dubai; huge skyscrapers and bustling city life co-existed with working and functional rigs and refineries…..Amen

16. thatgal

April 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Nice one……..am so voting no matter what anyone says. N I know my vote will count. We r who we are, am so with you in that wonder land. I know it will be a reality some day.#praying harder.

17. iphie

April 8, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Very inspirin article i must add dat Nigerians need to stop supportin corruption to start to do the rite things dont pay bribes insist on followin procedures….only dat way can things work…..they go abroad and act orderly and obey the laws so why is it so hard….

18. Neighbor

April 8, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Are people so blind to realize that what Nigeria needs is a radical change. Voting is not going to do anything, why? It is not a magic formula. Voting is nothing in itself! If there are no credible candidates, if there is no transparency in the system! If the system is completely rotten, you are wasting your time. This write-up is all heart warming and clean, completely unrealistic. My dear, we need to wake up, Nigeria is like no other country on this planet.

• partyrider

April 8, 2011 at 10:02 pm

…and your suggestion about this radical change is?

19. Myne Whitman

April 8, 2011 at 6:15 pm

Great article, the postponed date is almost upon us.

@WoahNigeria, may your dreams come true!

20. Uchechi

April 8, 2011 at 6:22 pm

Great post, I really hope present and past events will urge more Nigerians to vote for change this time around.

21. BAVA

April 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm

In 1645 one vote gave Oliver Cromwell control of England. In 1776 one vote saved America from the German Language and gave them the English language. In 1875 one vote changed France from a monarchy to a Republic. And unfortunately in 1923 one vote gave Hitler control of Nazi Party in Germany.Your vote is of great value, please lets use it for our future and that of our children. Vote & make sure it counts. Its our right and power.

22. mars

April 8, 2011 at 10:42 pm

This Post really gave me a cold chill!!! amazing.. the same news i have been preaching!!! WE ARE THE FUTURE!!!
    Truth is in some aspects we shouldn’t wait for the politicians to do everything. Some of us are fortunate enough to help out in the little ways we know how. sponsor a kid to school, it doesn’t have to be the best school. because the most important gift you can give other kids is godod education, so everyone can have a mind of their own growing up, and this people may be the mine gold, giving the ideas that will improve our country to another level.

you would never know, just help in the little way you can. if u feel u can positively affect this nation. join politics don’t say there’s only one ruling party and everything about politics is dubious, I feel with God things are possible.

Our ideas shouldn’t sit with us or end at the voting boot. we ve more to offer!!! please it is where you are from no matter how you feel about it.

23. Vanelly

April 8, 2011 at 11:56 pm

Power really is in our votes! Every single vote counts…. Its about time some if us stop living with this hasty misconception and generalisation that the elections have already been conducted, thereby concluding that there is no need to go cast your vote. this is one thing that has deterred us from voting in the past, but this time let’s make it a duty,respond to a clarion call to make it right, believing that your vote, my vote…..may just be the “wonder vote” to make Nigeria a better nation.

24. NNENNE

April 9, 2011 at 12:02 am

It it very encouraging to know that there are still Nigerians like BN bloggers.Inspite of all our problems in Nigeria, I have never given up on our dear country.If you go back in history, you will realize that most great nations went through what we are going through now.The only thing that bothers me though, is that in our country, we do not learn from our mistakes and we do not take kindly to change.But it is still not late.NIGERIA WILL SURVIVE.All we need is a credible political system,enforcement of law and order.Yes, it will not happen overnight, but a journey of one thousand kilometers, starts with a step.We owe it to the next generation! Believe me people, there is no place like home. No matter how comfortable you are in anothers man’s land, it is not same as your home.I personally would not want my generation written off my lineage.TUFIAKWA!!!!!!!

Great article! @ we are who we are…you brought tears to my eyes.
    Those of us who can vote, please go out and vote quietly.PEACE!!

25. xadex

April 9, 2011 at 12:41 am

But wait, what’s wrong with going to the Pharmacy? Isn’t a pharmacist a healthcare professional. It depends on what is wrong, some problems can be dealt with in the pharmacy instead of going to the hospital which can be a waste of time and money for the patients and the doctors.

• Ready

April 9, 2011 at 7:29 am

LMFAO! It’s funny that it bugged you so much, I was kinda thinking the same thing but the nationalist spirit took me over for a while. I guess it’s because you’re supposed to get the prescription from the doctor, and then have the pharmacist give you the medicine. But what if all I need is a refill? Like if I have heartburn, the pharmacist’s not wrong in selling me Milk of Magnesia or Pepto-Bismol; him/her should know that from all those years in Pharm school. I’m just sayin’…

• Miss Face

April 9, 2011 at 6:05 pm

Oh Please! We all know the context in which “going to the pharmacy” (or chemist) instead of hospital means.Do u know how many deaths could have been avoided if only they could afford to pay for proper,professional care and attention instead of just buying Alabukun with his last 50 Naira off the chemist’s counter due to a nagging headache that just wont go away,that could well be a symptom of say, brain tumor?Or do we scrap all the hospitals because we know how to diagnose illness/diseases and Papa Favour claims to have just the right drug we need for that fever? I dont think so! We are just asking for a system that works.Period!

26. zeenie

April 9, 2011 at 7:30 am

This is a beautiful writeup, it gives room for a little sober reflection but let the truth be told whether we vote or not it doesn’t mean our votes will countm it has been going  for years when before the election they already know the winners so what is the point in voting? Also, what is the probability that the peoplke we are voting into power will provide the necessary amenities of the people?

• Ready

April 10, 2011 at 6:47 am

The probability that the chosen leaders will actually deliver on their promise is pretty impossible to determine, but if everyone thought that, no one would ever vote. You just gotta trust that the same public who’ve risen up and changed the face of Nigerian politics this time will continually demand the best from their leaders. And if they fail to carry out their promises, we’ll vote ’em out.
      As for your initial concern about rigging, I bet you didn’t know that the names on ballot papers would be called out before you wrote that. Do you still believe the winners have already been decided? Unless you plan to get out of the country and do away with everything Nigerian about you, your apathy even in these changing times is disadvantageous to you and everyone you care about, and quite frankly, pathetic. #mytwokobo.

27. Czebs

April 9, 2011 at 9:41 am

nigerians have an unending capacity to endure and morph to accept our problems sometimes i wonder if a whole lot of us really want change or we just want our own opportunity to profit from the chaos. d average young nigerian does not want to fight for change he prays his uncle or friend or distant relative can be hooked up to government so they can start “living it up”as well. where i registered is quite far from my house since we cant move how do i vote n no leader or prospective leader has evoked in me any sense of passion to make me want to wake up early enough to try n get to the polling stations. they dont even hold proper campaigns the best they do is hire thugs to sit in vans and cause traffic and make a whole lot of noise and i dont even know what they stand for, who they are, what they can offer. noisy thugs sitting on d windows of moving cars is not campaigning. I’d rather not vote than vote for people i dont know and cant vouch for. In last four years how have represented us how have they served us did anyone of them even have an office we could walk into and talk with them. What steps were they taking to solve our problems these guys dont even do the basics right they unashamedly display the fact that for them its all about the money. Am not voting not because am apathetic i really want to vote but i dont know the incumbent dont know their challengers cant say diddley squat about them so i certainly wont risk my security voting for them.

• Ready

April 10, 2011 at 6:42 am

But you could educate yourself though…that’s what civic participation is about. You google them, read about whatever scandals they’ve been involved in, what kind of educational training they have, what their voting record looks like. You’re not gonna know what over 800 individual politicians’ platform is…you gotta find the people whose policies really concern you like the congressmen/women and senators from your ward, and make your decisions based on that. It’s a case of ‘if Mohammed won’t go to the mountain’ man…

28. shade

April 9, 2011 at 9:42 am

God bless you for this Arit!

You’ve said it all.

Sigh…

29. Timma

April 9, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Sitting on the fence cost me something very dear, what, you might ask? My dear husband’s life, just 2years and 6months into our marriage, how? The emergency unit of LUTH closed their gate against a dying man seeking oxygen and proper attention! Yes, one is bound to die but if one must let it the passage be as smooth as possible let it not be as a result of our inadequate or properly organised health sector, voting gives me the power to be able to say I am part of the change and no amount of bombing is enough to scare me from going out to vote, instead I go out to honour the very many Nigerians whose lives are cut short by insecurity of lives and properties due to having leaders that refuse to take responsibilities. I have just voted after being under the sun for 2hours, i dont mind doing the same next week and others to come as long as change comes

• Ready

April 10, 2011 at 6:38 am

I wish you strength and courage to get through whatever hurdles you may come across. I don’t know the right thing to say, but thank you for still believing in our country and I really hope that very soon, you’ll have cause to smile again and your loss will not be in vain. Best wishes, dear.

30. ify

April 9, 2011 at 7:47 pm

This article is one of the best i have read on bellanaija. Indeed, it states the condition of Nigeria as it is. Nigerians are yet to learn how to take their future into their hands. We are so nonchalant when it comes down to the politics of our nation but we want our nation to be great. *shakes head*. We need to realizes that we have the power to change our situation. The daily happenings in Nigeria is deplorable. Imagine a hospital in our nation’s capital not having a blood bank! That really scares the – out of me! Nigerians get off the fence!

31. UWEMEDIMOH

April 9, 2011 at 9:37 pm

I felt so let down that all my effort to register for voting came to naught, I believe I am not the only who feel this way. that is not to say that we are not going to sail through this time around whether i and others who couldn’t register voted or not. The thing is I believe in this Nation, I believe that we are simply going through a process that will finally take us there. I don’t have any problem with noise makers, people who only see the negatives, no electricity, no functional health system, no qualitative education, no this no that! Why I don’t have any problem with them is that, what we are doing is a sort of revolution. We don’t need to go out there like Tunisia, Egypt, Yemen, Libya, and the rest of them, I believe this ‘voice or agitative revolution’ is going to achieve the same purpose as a protest out on the streets and squares. Our past leaders are listening, the incoming leaders can not ignore the suffering voices and yearning of the masses, they must assuredly take a cue from what is happening in the Middle East and other places. Nigerians should be hopeful cause we are on the right path, for those who were lucky and smarter to register, don’t waste the cards because they are millions of Nigerians who wish they possess the voters card. Go out there and exercise your right, vote for a candidate you are sure will listen to these voices, let providence take care of the rest.

32. Kayode

April 10, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I simply love this.is just a shame i won’t be participating.

33. Mary

April 11, 2011 at 11:14 am

A very succint analysis of the consciousness of Nigerians and the reality of living in this country. It is so true, we need to be the change that we want the world to see, so rather than mummuring about the faults of Nigeria which is always traced back to the inadequacies of our leaders let us use our votes as the voice and weapon of change that this country needs. Once again Didi you have provided another thought provoking article! People lets not just leave our comments on this page, let us encourage our friends, families, colleagues, etc to go out and vote, with the elections now in full swing, let us all contribute to a positively memorable elections!

34. http://dakkylove.blogspot.com/

April 11, 2011 at 12:33 pm

I remember having a very long argument with some Nigerian on twitter who kept on spreading negative comments about our electoral process , i was adamant, Nigeria is not yet there but we are getting better, and we will prove all those nay sayers wrong, for the first time the youths are heavily sensitized about the electoral process and we are beginning to know what exactly we stand for. even though the high level of poverty in the country influences corruption but at least these so called leaders can no longer take us for a ride. Jega’s incompetence as it relates to planning aside, last weeks Saturday’s election results is a strong indicator that times are changing. Lets go.

35. Chuka Nestor

April 11, 2011 at 4:38 pm

This is one of those times I wish we undergo a “National Rehabilitation” & rid ourselves of that ‘drawing-board mentality’ and actually DO SOMETHING, this post got me thinking about the role I have played in making or marring Nigeria’s bright future, so i’m taking corrective steps after my brief soliloquy; but the issue is what will you do about it…it starts from that little effort, spread the word, make that sacrifice, condemn that stereotype! Nigeria is ours to Love,Nurture and Cherish. Walk your Talk and stand for Change. God Bless Nigeria! Much Love to you Arit Okpo!