News

BN Exclusive: Miss Universe 2011 – Meet the Dazzling African Queens – Official Bikini, Evening Wear & Profile Photos

It’s that time again!

The Miss Universe pageant is gearing up for the 2011 grand finale in São Paulo, Brazil on the 12th of September 2011.
There are 6 beauty queens from Sub-Saharan Africa (Nigeria, Ghana, Tanzania, Angola, South Africa and Botswana), 1 beauty queen from North Africa (Egypt) and 1 beauty queen from the island of Mauritius at the pageant.

So far the beauty pageant pundits and experts have rated Angola’s representative – Leila Lopes as the top African beauty queen at the pageant.

Nigeria’s Sophie Gemal seems to be blossoming at the pageant! We totally love her profile, evening wear and bikini shots!

To vote for your favorite African Queen, head over to the Miss Universe website – Click HERE

Take a walk down memory lane – Check out BellaNaija.com’s coverage of Miss Universe over the years
Miss Universe 2006 – Feature 1 | Feature 2
Miss Universe 2007 – Feature 1
Miss Universe 2008 – Feature
Miss Universe 2009 – Feature 1 | Feature 2Feature 3
Miss Universe 2010  – Feature 1 | Feature 2
___________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Sophie Gemal

Country: Tanzania
Hometown: Dar Es Salaam
Age: 19

Photo Credit: Miss Universe Organization

1. Fairy Godsister

August 29, 2011 at 8:04 am

Sadly, I agree that of all the beauties, the Angolan lady is more…….looks like more…..

• Blossom

August 29, 2011 at 6:08 pm

Sophie, we all know you are not 22 years old…

• Lola

August 30, 2011 at 12:01 am

The Botswana girl looks like Michelle Obama

2. omoh

August 29, 2011 at 8:05 am

lovely…dey are all pretty.Wish all of them best of luck.

3. coco

August 29, 2011 at 8:06 am

this is some tough competition n we haven’t even included the latinos….God help her sha

4. Dee

August 29, 2011 at 8:06 am

My Favourite is Miss Angola…. Miss Mauritius is also stunning while Miss Tanzania looks good but she will not make it to the semifinals… Miss Nigeria is very short, i’ve met her in person… Mark my words Angola wil be amongst the Top 15

• Albertoxy

September 14, 2011 at 12:39 am

Congratulations, Angola win! Very nice!

5. Ngozi

August 29, 2011 at 8:11 am

Miss Angola and Miss South Africa nailed it!!

6. coco

August 29, 2011 at 8:11 am

any yes i agree,that miss angola is my favourite..she has this calm beauty u cant resist

7. http://myHairmyBeauty.wordpress.com

August 29, 2011 at 8:17 am

Sophie Gemal is SOOOOO GORGEOUS!!!!! Please VOTE FOR HER!!!!!!

8. unidentified blogger

August 29, 2011 at 8:23 am

hmmmm. me likey

9. doll

August 29, 2011 at 8:31 am

who designed her evening wear. it is lovely

10. amblaze

August 29, 2011 at 8:31 am

they are all buriful xept dat of bostwana…but check out naija gal..d gal 4rm angola and mauritus just hot.

11. oma-peduru

August 29, 2011 at 8:32 am

All pretty young women, wish though that Nigeria’s representative will learn how to pose properly for pictures.

12. shadeow

August 29, 2011 at 8:40 am

wow my moment of glory has come….im first…yay

13. princess onyeukwu

August 29, 2011 at 9:09 am

The niaja girl is the bomb, she is so gorgeous,am so loving her.

14. stella

August 29, 2011 at 9:39 am

9ja babe too much, beautiful babes except the lady from Botswana.

15. Lue

August 29, 2011 at 9:47 am

mehnnnnnn……………….God help naigeria

16. kizito

August 29, 2011 at 9:52 am

Abeg abeg angola babe is d issh. Drop dead gorgeous

17. D Pretty

August 29, 2011 at 10:04 am

D angolan chic is HOTTTTTTT. Sophie is pweetz too but d angolan is the ish

18. ennie

August 29, 2011 at 10:54 am

That Botswana babe has got correct body, but that face, mba! The angola babe is hot.

19. tinu

August 29, 2011 at 11:08 am

miss angola and miss nigeria

20. ANANUKWA SPYDA

August 29, 2011 at 11:34 am

d beautiful ones ar not yet born

21. pynk

August 29, 2011 at 11:35 am

a lot of these girls look mixed. I thot Africa was predominantly dark? And if Sophie is really half, i thought they didnt allow them compete in beauty pagents?

• Me

August 29, 2011 at 1:28 pm

So because she’s mixed race she cant compete? How would you feel if someone said that to you? The fact that she’s mixed does not remove the fact that she is a Nigerian girl so forget that side abeg.

• pynk

August 29, 2011 at 4:00 pm

i said i thot they didnt allow them to compete. I am mixed it doesnt affect me. I know they disqualified one half Indian girl in the past, something about not being full Nigerian. Just asking.

• Winnie

August 30, 2011 at 5:30 am

I agree with your point and there is nothing wrong with mixed race competing. but it will be an injustice if our idea of a beautiful african woman is being completely replaced by light skinned women with flowing caucasian like hair…that to me means we are being misrepresented and sends a very bad message to the world that black is not beautiful

22. yeye

August 29, 2011 at 11:41 am

Ok…is it just me or does the botswana girl look like Mitchelle Obama?

23. Tiki

August 29, 2011 at 12:38 pm

Nigeria is the prettiest, Angola has the best skin, Mauritius has the best bod…it’s gonna b a tough one!

24. duchess

August 29, 2011 at 1:14 pm

The nigeria gal is ok but i seriously doubt she’ll mak it to  top 15 or wateva tops comes first…unless she appears diffrntly dan ds…

25. Me

August 29, 2011 at 1:27 pm

(1) The Nigerian chick is STUNNING!!…I really hope she wins.
    (2) The Angolan chick and Ghanian one are pretty hot too so they might be strong contenders.
    (3) But really, what the HELL is Miss Tanzania wearing on her feet? My Gosh…lol!!

26. cathy

August 29, 2011 at 1:59 pm

Angola and Ghanain babe are honestly pretty. two hotties!!!

27. THE AMAKA

August 29, 2011 at 2:19 pm

sorry, most of them look too eurocentric. Miss Nigeria looks nice, but Miss Ghana? still dont agree. the girl looks Mexican, in my opinion. and yes, shout all you want, things like this DO matter.

• THE AMAKA

August 29, 2011 at 2:22 pm

the reason why I’m saying Miss Ghana because we all know Accra aint her home town. she is Ghanaian-American, and picked from America. after all, she reprented Miss Minnesota at the USA pageant at one point. even the girl that represented Ghana last year was not really Ghanaian, just her parents were. YES, THINGS LIKE THIS DO MATTER, IN MY OPINION. they are supposed to be picking people that are “products” of that country.

• lovefashion

August 29, 2011 at 3:31 pm

well said!

• Ada

August 29, 2011 at 3:45 pm

And so what! Amaka? does that make her least Ghanaian? Does the Nigerian lady look Nigerian although she was picked in Nigeria? Isnt she also half caste?

• THE AMAKA

August 30, 2011 at 12:54 am

@Ada, you clearly missed the point. what i was saying is the girl should be a PRODUCT of her country, meaning she is a product of the society and education she recieved from there. it doesnt make sense to have a girl that was born and raised in America her whole life represent her father’s (parent’s country) when she is clearly not a product of that environment. i hope you get my point. its really not about being mixed or not. btw, they say Sophie is half Ethiopian, and that is not mixed race, its mixed in terms of her ethnicity. if she was at least raised in Nigeria, then she can freely represent if she pleases.

28. Jade82

August 29, 2011 at 3:11 pm

I agree with u THE AMAKA…..
    Miss Nigeria i wish u luck, as well as the others.
    Well people don’t sleep on miss botswana; it’s not by face they pick oh she has a very nice body too….check her curves….I wish them all the best!!! Miss Nigeria i pray u win oh

29. lovefashion

August 29, 2011 at 3:30 pm

I’m very sad to hear how Nigerian are going on about how hot miss Angola looks. I have just look at both girls and i’m sorry to say that my Nigerian girl is just as nice as the Angola girl. Dont think that the Angola girl is nicer than her.
    When will Nigerians support our own? I’m sure if it was the other way round, we would say the other girl is pettier. Even Ghana can’t produce girls from home that they have to go abroad and bring some latino looking kind of girl. We have a nice looking girl from home but we are not happy.
    I say go Miss Nigeria you look beauty and i would pick you from all the above.

• Rukky

August 29, 2011 at 5:58 pm

I’m not going to say that the Nigerian girl is prettier just because I would like to support my country. Yes she is pretty but if I think the Angolan babe is prettier, I don’t think that has anything to do with my patriotism or lack thereof.

30. Ada

August 29, 2011 at 3:58 pm

And Bella Naija, I hope you publish my full comment. You are always partial; when it comes to the comment of some of us, you edit and cut out but untouchables like Amaka have full comments published. That why I hardly comment / visit the site nowadays

• BellaNaija.com

August 29, 2011 at 4:36 pm

Aww that’s not true. The only comments we don’t publish are abusive comments.

We miss u 🙂

• chiny

August 29, 2011 at 5:47 pm

actually ada is right what i noticed is that any comment from the amaka is approved but some of my comments are never approved that is the reason why i prefer linda ikeji’s blog!

• THE AMAKA

August 30, 2011 at 12:55 am

@chiny, actually, please only speak on what you know. there have been times without number where bella has not approved my comment, i even cursed her once (or twice) about not approving my comment. unless you are directly behind my pc or bella’s pc, how do you know that every comment i post here gets published? sheesh!

• missy~spectacular

August 29, 2011 at 11:34 pm

you guys take life too seriously shaaaa! So what if Bella Naija doesn’t post your comment? She know you before? Una worry oh!

31. On point!

August 29, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I get u Amaka, I’ve noticed Ghana is hardly represented by der proper black ppl

32. NNENNE

August 29, 2011 at 4:34 pm

@yeye…exactly my thought. I love that blue gown, miss Sophie! Wishing you the very best!!!

33. kiki

August 29, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Intelligent answers! Watch Miss Universe Nigeria Sophie Gemal’s First official Miss Universe 2011 Web interview. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRLfbEVJbJA

34. Jade

August 29, 2011 at 7:42 pm

blue gown is sooo beautiful on sophie… Go girl!!!!

35. Lizzy O

August 29, 2011 at 9:11 pm

So glad Sophie toned down the red hair. She is NOW fit to win this. I will support her 100%. She was my favorite ever since MBGN anyway. I just had issues with that red hair… but NOW, I’m on board. Love her looks. She’s Gorgeous….

36. toluh

August 29, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Miss Nigeria 22??? Then I must b 12. Am nt supporting cos I knw dats nt her age…….let d best lady win

• AdaAda

August 30, 2011 at 2:52 pm

LOL a lot of these pageant contestants look older than their stated age.

37. ij

August 29, 2011 at 10:20 pm

miss Botswana has the best figure though not the prettiest face

38. Na me

August 29, 2011 at 10:27 pm

I love the Nigerian contestant:) Very beautiful girls.. I hope she wins.. All other ladies look fab… God can create!

39. THE AMAKA

August 30, 2011 at 1:01 am

now that she has gotten rid of the red hair….as for the best looking African representatives.
    Nigeria and Angola tie for best looking.
    Miss Ghana follows and finally Miss Mauritius
    but i still stand by what i said that all of them (minus 2 and with the exception to Mauritius and Egypt) look too eurocentric, in my opinion.

40. eloho

August 30, 2011 at 1:46 am

@ Ada, the Ghanaian rep is not half-caste; she is American. Never been to Ghana, just of Ghanaian descent. She was chosen in America and sent off to represent a country she knows less to nothing about. I live in Ghana and some people are trying to fight this from happening. The only time recently a living-in Ghana queen was chosen was in 2009 (JENNIFER), since then they just go to the states and pick any girl without Ghanaians even knowing her. This is absolutely wrong!

41. sulemany

August 30, 2011 at 7:07 am

i think that the are or beautiful but nelly is the best

42. erica

August 30, 2011 at 9:52 am

i cant stop watching miss angola..ohh my god…she is the whole definition of beauty

43. Aggy

August 30, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Nelly is the best……………………………………………….

44. spicy

August 30, 2011 at 1:24 pm

Its a shame, hardly any of this girls look truly “African”….And the 1 who in my opinion does the most(Botswana), most ppl commenting are saying she’s not fine, how brainwashed are we???

45. Lailo

August 31, 2011 at 12:20 am

I go with Miss Botswana. Mark my words, she is taking the crown. She has the best posture and brainy too.

46. Mphoentle

September 2, 2011 at 9:02 am

Being fair and honest all the girls are very smart but i go with Botswana and South africa those are 100%Africans. No hesitation about it,Anyway the deserving queen shall win.God bless!!!!!!

47. oluchi

September 10, 2011 at 9:24 am

Last to comment yeeeeeeaaaah

Miss SA and bostwana are so totally african.love it.
    Miss egypt has got the best shape
    Miss angola is lovely too.
    And I think is wrong for ghana to pick foreigners to represent them.shows they are nt proud of their girls and they do have dark skinned lovely girls.
    If miss nigeria will jus tone down her makeup
    Well am gonna votin for her cos am proud and patriotic

And jus observed that bellanaija actually takes out time to reda comments.kudos!!shows great commitment and u totally appreciate those who bring out time to follow u

48. Adebimpe Ahmed

September 22, 2011 at 7:45 pm

Miss Angola and Miss Mauritus are gorgeous…but please vote for miss Nig .She’s pretty too..

49. Princess zee

November 10, 2011 at 11:47 am

Mirror mirror on d wall, who’s the fairest of them all……Miss ANGOLA

50. DEE

June 20, 2012 at 12:09 pm

Did anybody see this angola chic… she is drop dead gorgeous>>>muah…Gosh Gosh Gosh