News

18 Year Old Adeyinka Adeola & 22 Year Old Moses Edewor become Lagos Landlords through the Maltina “Sharing Happiness” Promo! Join the Competition Today as 3 More Homes are Up for Grabs

Most Nigerians residing in Lagos always dream of owning a home on the Lekki-Ajah axis of the city, anyone that manages to get a home there would have been thought “to have arrived.” Most Nigerian celebrities and wealthy individuals,  make it a point of duty to own a home there. But two very young Nigerians are now proud landlords of a three bedroom homes courtesy of Maltina – a premium malt drink from the stable of Nigerian Breweries Plc.

How did they do it? Find out exclusively here on BN

The Beginning
On Thursday 22nd March 2012, Nigerian Breweries Plc held a press briefing in Lagos where they told Nigerians that Maltina, a brand that is noted for “Sharing Happiness” will be giving out five brand new three bedroom homes, with all room ensuite, to its consumers through a Maltina “Sharing Happiness Promo.” It sounded too good to be true with many sceptics wondering how this can be true.

At that press briefing, Yusuf Ageni (Corporate Affairs Adviser, Nigerian Breweries Plc) said “The huge success of the 2011 re-launch of Maltina with a new packaging upgrade, new communication and revised positioning had a positive impact on the brand’s volume, market share and overall equity which also rubbed off on the consumers who also shared in the good fortune, smiling home with fantastic prizes”. He further said that “The success of 2011 and in response to the yearnings of our consumers, the Maltina brand has concluded plans to reward consumers this year with a national consumer promotion, a promotion which size and scale has never been done before in the history of non-alcoholic malt drinks in Nigeria.”

Modalities for Being a Landlord
Outlining the mechanics of the promo which runs from Friday 2nd April 2012 to Friday 25th May 2012, the corporate affairs adviser said it “Will be crown cork based, there will be two categories of winning crown corks – Instant Winning crown corks  and Alphabet Code crown corks. For the instant winning crown corks, whatever is seen under the crown cork is what the consumer gets instantly! The prizes are shown under the crown corks and prizes can be redeemed at any of our 1,200 redemption centres located across Nigeria. The instant prizes include N1 million, N100, 000 cash which will come in form of a Maltina branded ATM card and other brand memorabilia which include wrist watches, millions of free drinks and others”
The second category he outlined is the Alphabet Code combination crown corks which is for the grand prize of a Luxury Home. It would consist of the following letters, S – M – I – L- E. According Yusuf Ageni, “In order to win the grand prize, a consumer is expected to collect a combination of crown corks that spell the word S-M-I-L-E. Maltina will be giving out a total of 5 houses. Under the letter ‘M’ crown corks, there will be special differentiated alphanumeric codes. These codes qualify consumers for weekly raffle draws. The 5 houses will be given out in three weekly raffle draws as follows: 1st Raffle- 2 houses, 2nd Raffle- 2 houses, 3rd Raffle- 1 house.”
He reiterated that holders of the raffle draw crown corks can enter the raffle draws by either sending their code, name, sex, age and address (address should include state) to 30380 or going to any of the 1,200 redemption centers to register their names and contact details. Holders of the S-M-I-LE crown corks will be expected to keep them as the ultimate proof of ownership. The SMS will work with all major telecoms operators.

The First Raffle Draw Winners
On Sunday 15th April 2012, the first raffle draw was held in Lagos to pick the first winners. Anchored by the gorgeous Kemi Adetiba, the show lived up to its billing as it was shown on National Television. Kemi picked the first winner who happened to be Adeyinka Adeola – an 18 year old Mbiama, Rivers State based secondary school student. Kemi later invited Daniel Obi – a respected brand Journalist from BusinessDay Newspaper to pick the second winner who turned out to be Moses Edewor – a 22 year old secondary school leaver from Yenagoa, Bayelsa State.

How They Were Contacted
Kemi Adetiba first called Adeyinka to inform him that he is now a landlord in Lagos. The Mbiama based Ibadan indigene could not hide his feelings when he was contacted on phone to the hearing of millions of Nigerians. Kemi said “Adeyinka, my name is Kemi Adetiba and I am calling on behalf of Maltina, I want to inform you that you are the first winner of the Maltina home in Lagos.”
The elated young man said, “The voice of the lady was so sweet that I almost wanted her to continue talking. What she said after she introduced herself left me speechless. She asked if I entered for a Maltina promo and I answered in the affirmative. She then said “You have just won a brand new three bedroom home in the Maltina sharing happiness promo, Congratulations.”

Adeyinka said he thought it might be a huge joke, but it was no joke as things started happening fast. “I was told to proceed to the nearest Nigerian Breweries Plc office for authentication and for travel plans to be presented my new home in Lagos.”

The 18 year old who is still writing his West African Examination Council’s exams at Government Secondary School, Okarki said he saw the poster of the Maltina “Sharing Happiness Promo” on a billboard on his way to write one of his science practical’s exam. “I just spoke inwardly to myself that I will start gathering crown corks and participate in the promo. The next day on my way to write another paper alongside three of my friends, I bought them a bottle of Maltina each and collected the crown corks.”

It was now time to contact the next winner which Kemi did, even though Daniel Obi picked the winner. Moses said “On Sunday 15th April 2012, I got a call from a lady who identified herself as Kemi Adetiba. After ascertaining that I was the one on the line, she asked if I entered for the Maltina promo and I said yes. She then broke the good news to me and said I have won a house. After that the line started cracking and I couldn’t hear her well, I started shivering and praying that the line should be clear. The line later cleared and I almost collapsed when I finally realised that I have won a house!”

Moses said he ran outside and started screaming as if he was insane, his sister and cousins started running after him to hold him down. When they eventually did it was a celebration galore at their uncompleted and modest two room house which they shared with other families. From then Moses Edewor said things moved so fast that there was no doubt that “our level has changed.” Moses who graduated from Mein Grammar School Ogobiri, Bayelsa State and just wrote the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) examination is optimistic of gaining admission to a tertiary institution in the country after scoring 247. He intends to study Medicine.

How the Homes Were Presented
Adeyinka Adeola and his parents and Moses Edewor and his sister and her husband were later flown to Lagos and lodged in a hotel, all expenses paid by Nigerian Breweries plc where they were officially presented with their respective homes on April 22, 2012.
Presenting the keys of the brand new homes to the lucky winners Adeyinka Adeola and Moses Edewor, Walter Drenth (Marketing Director, Nigerian Breweries Plc) said “Maltina has made a bold statement that its consumers are special hence the need to provide a brand new home where they can continue to share happy moments as family. He enjoined the new occupants to make good use of the house as it is theirs for eternity, even saying  “You can even pass it on to your children as inheritance when you start having children.”

A visibly excited Adeyinka Adeola who could not hide his joy thanked the brand for the honour of providing his family a place they can truly call their own. His mother who was almost in tears could not contain her joy as well, she said “We live in a one room apartment and now God has used Maltina to provide a three bedroom home for us in Lagos, is there a word I can use to say ‘thank you’ to you?

On the other hand, Moses said “We were treated like celebrities and the toast of the moment. My sister, her husband and I were then chauffer driven to the airport and we boarded a flight for the first time in our lives to Lagos. We were lodged and fed in a hotel for three days. We were simply told to enjoy ourselves. I asked my sister that I hope we are not dreaming.”

Photos

The Brand New Home by Maltina

Adeola Adeyinka & his parents making their way into their new home

Walter Drenth (Marketing Director, Nigerian Breweries Plc) presenting Adeyinka Adeola with the key to his new house

The Adeolas

Moses Edewor

Walter Drenth (Marketing Director, Nigerian Breweries Plc) presenting the house keys to Moses Edewor

Moses Edewor, his sister and her husband with Walter

Were they Dreaming?
They were definitely not dreaming, Ngozi Nkwoji (Senior Brand Manager, Maltina)  said the brand is all about “Sharing Happiness” and family bonding. “The Maltina story has always been the story of sharing, friendship, trust, togetherness and faithfulness. It is all about bringing people together in an atmosphere of friendship. And what better way of bringing people together than by providing them with a big three bedrooms home where they can live as one family.”

Ngozi Nkwoji said the reason for the promo stem from the domino effect of the huge success of the 2011 re-launch of Maltina with a new packaging upgrade, new communication and revised positioning which had a positive impact on the brand’s volume, market share and overall equity which also rubbed off on the consumers who shared in the good fortune, smiling home with fantastic prizes after the post event launch. According to her, the success of that year and the yearnings of consumers, was what prompted the promo.

Are there Still more Homes to Be Won?
Proving clearly that you and I could still be Landlords, Ngozi Nkwoji said three more homes are still up for grabs, so also are millions of Naira in cash and other prizes. she enjoined Nigerians to keep drinking Maltina and keep on winning. The Maltina brand is noted for exploring creative avenues to consistently engage and reward its consumers. One of these creative consumer engagement platforms is the popular and highly rated Maltina Dance All (MDA) TV reality show – a platform for sharing happiness, promoting family values and bonding.

Since it hit the Nigerian market in 1976, Maltina has consistently satisfied its consumers with high quality natural malt drink, fortified with essential vitamins and minerals. It is the first and only malt drink officially endorsed by the Nutrition Society Nigeria. This provides Nigerians the vitality and superior nourishment necessary for their daily activities – including those special fun moments shared with friends and loved ones.
Advertorial – Sponsored Content

1. Kach

April 24, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Wow! Kudos, Nigerian Breweries Plc.

2. Adira

April 24, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Landlords imply they are renting the house to others (tenants). Home-owners is a more appropriate description. What a lovely prize to win. You can see the excitment on the winners and thier family’s faces!

• aj

April 24, 2012 at 8:30 pm

ummmm no looooool. not necessarily on moses fam’s face….LMBO.

3. hmmm

April 24, 2012 at 6:09 pm

haha the ic of the dad praying made my day….abeg thank the lord sir……:)

4. abbiba princewill

April 24, 2012 at 6:10 pm

this is really good… thumbs up to maltina

5. OmoBolanle

April 24, 2012 at 6:25 pm

I was so moved when his dad went on his knees. I can only imagine what they have been through. Good for them jare!

• Pendo

April 24, 2012 at 8:39 pm

me too i even got teary eyed! Well done to the winners!!!!

• Ayo

April 25, 2012 at 8:40 am

I got teary eyed too when I read “After that the line started cracking and I couldn’t hear her well, I started shivering and praying that the line should be clear. The line later cleared and I almost collapsed when I finally realised that I have won a house!” I just pictured him holding that phone frantically, praying for the crackling to stop.

God bless maltina for this. Me too I want to win.

6. ms pretty

April 24, 2012 at 6:34 pm

this is the type of kind things our rich men shd be doing o, put smile on d faces of d poor, look @ t excitement??

• Rabina

April 25, 2012 at 9:02 am

What a silly thing to say- a lot of wealthy Nigerians do things for poor people without others knowing- this is the true meaning of charity- I wish you and other people could stop saying all these baseless things without concrete proof- and you don’t even have to be rich to give. In any case, are you yourself a giver??? Have you done something to put a smile on ‘d’ faces of ‘d’ poor????

7. toluwa

April 24, 2012 at 6:35 pm

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well done maltina.

8. faith

April 24, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Going τ̅☺ buy 1 crate of maltina ryt away…lol

9. myHairmyBeauty

April 24, 2012 at 6:59 pm

This is sooo COOL!! I’ve always been a firm believer that opportunity is always knocking!! I definately love this initiative!

10. Tochi

April 24, 2012 at 7:11 pm

I am so happy for them

11. hansel praise

April 24, 2012 at 7:47 pm

congrats to the young man

12. baby

April 24, 2012 at 7:55 pm

I am so happy for them…..I am glad the poor reaped the benefit, hope the other 3 goes to those that can only dream and cant afford it. Well done MALTINA!!!!!!

13. Miss Natural

April 24, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Wow this is wonderful! Their happiness is amazing to see. Kudos to Nigerian Breweries! On a more sour note, what a shame that the govt responsible for providing affordable and decent housing for their citizens always fails.

14. Oge

April 24, 2012 at 8:34 pm

i wanna play

15. madman

April 24, 2012 at 8:57 pm

this is NOTHING — compared to how much BILLIONS Maltina makes in Nigeria. Nice PR move though.

16. zen

April 24, 2012 at 9:40 pm

lmao the father is really happy lolz…awww great prize…

17. fueltub

April 24, 2012 at 10:12 pm

this is so touching. GOD BLESS MALTINA

18. Janded

April 24, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I am so happy that everyday people won. Good for them

19. Bianca

April 25, 2012 at 1:46 am

Omg, the dad kneeling down to pray was so cool. I thought, maltina was a nigeria made drink, now I know. I’m happy for them. I wish rich Nigerians can learn how to invest, build business than wasting their money on luxuries all the time.

20. @_Iyore

April 25, 2012 at 3:03 am

WOW! THE DAD KNELT DOWN TO THANK GOD! AWW

21. cutie

April 25, 2012 at 3:48 am

congrats y’all

22. NNENNE

April 25, 2012 at 3:56 am

Now , that’s one good reason to drink Maltina!

23. Nma

April 25, 2012 at 4:15 am

wait did each of them win a whole house (as in building) or is it flat? Cos they only show one house and said three bedroom for each (that big house looks like it has more than three bedrooms…unless they are talking about flats.)

24. Brainy

April 25, 2012 at 6:31 am

Better off as landlords than to live in it and continue to look for pay. They can rent where they live. Then use rental income to enjoy life even build a house in home town etc. Boys can live in them when they grow up like start working. Or even when. They complete other buildings in village etc
    I bet that is advise they got from company.

25. faith

April 25, 2012 at 7:38 am

i think they r talking abt flats in d building…

26. JO!

April 25, 2012 at 8:03 am

Ok, is it occuring to anybody that they can not carry these houses back to Rivers and Bayelsa? I mean, will they now leave their lives and homes where they live and move here because they won a house, fine, I understand that the secondary school leaver might mant to come and school here, but this doesn’t make too much sense, don’t think Ngozi Nkwoji thought this one through entirely, what if it’s a mother with 3 children that won it? Will she leave her family and come and sit with a house in Lekki? I’m going to buy a carton of maltina now o :d but I just think it probably should have been for just lagos residents, shikena. Just my 2 cents

• diamond

April 25, 2012 at 1:21 pm

this house can be rented and the proceeds used wherever they leave. it’s extra income dear.

27. Komi

April 25, 2012 at 8:22 am

Amen! to the father prayer mehn!!

• Komi

April 25, 2012 at 8:23 am

Amen! to the father’s prayer mehn!! Comment awaiting moderation.

28. christy

April 25, 2012 at 8:30 am

*tears* why did they captured were d Dad was kneeling down? Nt so cool 4 me

• Purpleicious Babe

April 25, 2012 at 2:59 pm

he was appreciating the MAN upstairs. I like to think GOD. I think its cool. Only God knows the fasting and praying they had done. Although, I do think it can be cringe worthy for some pple

• partyrider

April 25, 2012 at 9:50 pm

Ermm its quite obvious the guy was thanking God na.

29. winnie

April 25, 2012 at 8:58 am

am going to host a party in my house and its only maltina drinks will be the drink at the party….i need the crown corks. not joking!

• hansel praise

April 28, 2012 at 1:19 pm

hi my name is hansel praise.blog address:hanselpraise.blogspot.com
      i want to know if you will like to partner with me in the maltina promo. i already have the crown corks:S and E.my number is 07068399394

30. Fabor Grace

April 25, 2012 at 9:01 am

Thank God for giving them a great smile….I pray I also win…I will b very grateful to God

31. Ema Leecious

April 25, 2012 at 9:22 am

I am going to start drinking Maltina till the promo is over!

32. Kemi

April 25, 2012 at 9:46 am

OMG! a house, im so going to get crates and crates of Maltina. I must win a house o!

33. EYEBALLS

April 25, 2012 at 11:02 am

This is such an awesome reward strategy but come to think of it, Maltina doesnt only come in bottles naaaw? why do they always alienate their consumers who take the canned maltina by not encouraging the wins of these promo on the bottom of the canned version? this is really not cool/wholistic at all.
    NIGERIAN BREWERIES PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS. THANKS

34. Anon

April 25, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I totally thot this wasn’t true oh…na wah. Up Maltina and NBL. I’m so happy for this guys mehn!!! so, bye bye to rent paying for them. Off I go to buy my Maltina 🙂

35. eggy*posh

April 25, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I was touched n brought to tears wen I saw d pic of d father kneeling n praying…I hope dis is real n nt acting cos there is nothing impossible in dis world…n if it is really real dn I hope d houses were built wit good solid materials n nt cheap building materials dt will get worn out in months…I am naturally suspicious of “wins” like dis…anyway while y’all start drinking maltina to boost ur winning chances I will still stick to my water…:D

36. Abdulhakim Haruna

April 25, 2012 at 4:57 pm

I have such crown cork with M

37. konnie

April 25, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Heart warming. Nice

38. Ukachukwu shadrach

April 26, 2012 at 11:10 am

Woa! This is wounderful, infact it is amazing, maltina plc. if not 4 anything, u guys have done something that have not be done in nig breweries plc keep it up.As for me i will keep on drinking maltina.

39. checkzy

April 27, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Nigerian Breweries Plc Truly you are the BEST of ALL

40. checkzy

April 27, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Kudos to a company that truly care for it”s HOST

41. Noble

April 28, 2012 at 9:39 am

One thing i know destiny may delay it cant change.we too hope for the great opportunity of multina shearing happyness, to be a landlord.Congrate to Adeyinka Adeola…

42. simpa

April 30, 2012 at 10:41 pm

I am going all out for maltina starting from today. thank God for the Lucky winner o. Keep it up Nigerian Breweries Plc

43. eky

May 1, 2012 at 12:07 pm

The procedure for winning the maltina promofor the flats is a long procedure, can’t the winning be instantly like others? i just one the letter M wating for result of 30th april, 2012

44. Dave

May 3, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Hi Winnie, when is ur (Maltina Drinking) Party Coming Up? I Do Need an Invite Plsss. Maybe I could help to make sure U Get All The Croun Corks. I no dey joke…….

45. Dave

May 3, 2012 at 1:53 pm

Yes Winnie! Just hit me on (facebook/diepriyed1)

46. augslaw

May 5, 2012 at 8:29 am

how can i win a house bcos i have a cork crown which house was drawn

47. augslaw

May 5, 2012 at 8:32 am

hw can i win a house, bcos i hv a cork crown that how was drawn in it pls help me out

48. ADEYINKA ADEOLA

January 28, 2016 at 8:09 pm

Wow… Godbless you all for your comments and love shared. Me winning the house was a divine intervention from God.
    @Bellanaija Kudos for the post ?
    @Maltina Its always a time to remember. Thank You