News

Success or Subtly Reinforcing Materialism?

“I was raped at the age of 9” – Oprah Winfrey

“I didn’t even complete my university education” – Bill Gates

“In my childhood days, I stitched shoes” – Abraham Lincoln

“I struggled academically throughout elementary school” – Ben Carson

“I used to serve tea at a shop to support my football training” – Lionel Messi

“I used to sleep on the floor in friends’ rooms, returning Coke bottles for food money, and getting weekly free meals at a local temple” – Steve Jobs

“My teachers used to call me a failure” – Tony Blair

“I was a 3rd class graduate in my first university” – Prof Wole Soyinka

Just like several other blackberry phone users I received this broadcast, read it slowly and the first thing that came to my mind was “yea, right”.  And then I received it again and again and again and again…and that is when I thought, “apart from highlighting the accomplishments beyond circumstances of the individuals listed in the broadcast, did the originator have something else in mind that I am not discerning?’

Maybe I do not understand the broadcast.  Hmmm, isn’t it basically reiterating that all these famous people started from nothing and are now successful so we the average Jo, can still be very successful?  Did I hear a yes?  Oh, so I do understand the broadcast!  In summary, it doesn’t matter what your circumstance currently is, you can still “make it” and end up like one of them famous peeps listed in the broadcast.  Yea, right!

Yes, Oprah was raped at the tender age of 9!  Yes, Bill Gates didn’t even complete his University education!  And blah blah blah!  They are supposedly true stories of people who went from total nothingness to huge “success” and thus are celebrated worldwide. I trust some would probably crucify me about my perceived lack of appreciation for the successful and awesome life stories of these world famous and renowned persons. But, can we just pause to think of the millions of persons who will read this blackberry broadcast and make “unrealistic” comparisons with their own lives?  Think of the forty-something individuals who will read the broadcast and consider their “average” lives not successful enough. Reflect on the teenagers who will likely read this broadcast and unrealistically assume that the success of these individuals is the worldwide approved parameter for measuring their own future success.  Now, imagine the disappointments and frustrations when these young ones put in a lot of effort as these successful individuals (if not more) and still never achieve their level of fame and wealth.  Did someone just mention destiny?  Yea, right!

Some may also argue that success is subjective.  So, why is Iya Tunde who single handedly trained all her six kids through University with the proceeds from her roadside smoked fish shed missing from the list?  What is the measure of “success”?  Is there a meter for it?  At what stage does one earn the right to be referred to as successful?  Does it have to be acknowledged worldwide before an individual can be accurately referred to as successful?  So many questions and no objective answers in sight.

What then is success?  According to the free online dictionary, it is the achievement of something desired, planned, or attempted; theOxforddictionary defines it as the achievement of an attainment or purpose which could be fame, wealth or social status.  In summary, success can generally be equaled with fame, wealth, social status and the attainment of something desired.  Now more questions arise!  If an individual desperately desires to attain something (Note: even though he doesn’t really need it to survive) and ends up not attaining it does it mean he isn’t successful and thus a failure?   Does a man happy with his situation in life but not famous not deserve to be called a success?  Is the nun who devotes her life to the church rather than the pursuit of wealth not qualified to be called successful?

Let’s call a spade a spade.  Success in the world today is being equaled to the pursuit of materialism and that is the underlying tone of both the blackberry broadcast and the dictionary definitions.  Before you all judge me, I urge you to strip all prejudices aside, open your minds and carefully consider all sides of my argument.  If after coming from an underprivileged background, you have to be as wealthy as Bill Gates or as famous as Oprah Winfrey to be considered a success then something is terribly wrong with the world’s mentality.  Everyone has their own unique circumstances, upbringings, backgrounds, goals and all these together makes up their unique story.  It is from this unique story that each individual should view their measurement of success and not from the Bill Gates and Wole Soyinka’s of this world.  However, it is sad to note that in reality majority of the world’s population focus on striving to become famous and renowned billionaires rather than focusing on the goals most important to their own unique circumstance and personal fulfillment.

I totally support being inspired by another’s story, that story should however not be a threshold for another’s life journey.  To achieve true and lasting fulfillment, individuals shouldn’t base their success on another’s story whether famous or not.  We are different and have our own unique stories.  Each individual also has his/her own imprint to leave behind whether it’s just in the hearts of members of our nuclear families, small communities or shared with the entire world.  Forget the dictionary definitions!  Success can be found in every one of us.  It’s as simple as being realistic and honestly looking inside yourself to discover what you consider worthy of being called successful for you and your circumstances, and achieving it.  Your success could be measured by how many kids you can bear, or how happy you make your family or even completing a University degree programme or perhaps by being known by the whole world.  Whatever success is for you should come from you and from no one else.

1. buzzz

May 9, 2012 at 2:30 pm

nice one

• jacqueline

May 14, 2012 at 6:22 am

TO THE AUTHOR

YOU ARE OBVIOUSLY WRITING FROM NIGERIA, AND MOST LIKELY NOT WELL TRAVELLED…

I SAY THIS BECAUSE IN THE WESTERN WORLD, SUCCESS IS SEEN FROM MUCH BROADER LENSES THAN YOU DESCRIBE…I WOULD ARGUE THAT YOUR RESEARCH DEALS MORE WITH WEALTH THAN SUCCESS.

WARREN BUFFET ONE OF THE WEALTIEST MEN ALIVE SAID DEFINED SUCCESS AS
      “ATTAINING THE AGE OF 70 YEARS, AND IN LOOKING BACK YOU CAN SAY THAT YOU HAVE THE LOVE OF ALL YOUR CHILDREN. SUCCESS FOR ME IS ALL ABOUT HOW YOUR CHILDREN HAVE TURNED OUT”

• jacqueline

May 14, 2012 at 7:04 am

TO THE AUTHOR cont.

HERE’S SOME EDUCATION FOR YOU
      “I have learned that success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as by the obstacles which has overcome while trying to succeed.”

~Booker T. Washington

“Success means we go to sleep at night knowing that our talents and abilities were used in a way that served others.”
      ~Angelina Jolie

“What’s money? A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and goes to bed at night and in between does what he wants to do.”
      ~ Bob Dylan
      “Success is gaining a sense of inner peace or happiness and a feeling of self worth.”
      ~Oprah Winfrey

“Success is achieving a perfect balance between work, family, time, money and wisdom”
      ~Unknown

OBVIOUSLY SHALLOW PEOPLE ABOUND, NEVERTHELESS, THE MAJORITY OF THE WEST ARE STILL GUIDED BY VALUES, AND HAVE NOT BOWED TO MATERIALISM–IF THEY HAVE, THEN THEIR GOVERNMENTS WOULD HAVE BEEN AS CORRUPT AS THOSE IN AFRICA…BUT NO, THERE’S ONLY SO FAR A MONEY-BAG CAN DO HERE IN THE WESTERN WORLD…
      THE OPPOSITE OF WHAT YOU TALK ABOUT IS THE GUIDING FORCE THAT MAKES THE SYSTEMS OF THE WESTERN WORLD DIFFERENT FROM THE CORRUPT AFRICAN STATE: IT IS CALLED ””VALUES … AND MORALS””

MOST IMPORTANTLY, THE GREATEST SUCCESS OF THE BLACK MAN IN THE USA[THE WESTERN WORLD YOU TALK ABOUT] IS THE ELECTION OF BARACK OBAMA AS THEIR PRESIDENT!!

HE IS FAR FROM A RICH MAN, AND JUST FINISHED PAYING OFF HIS UNIVERSITY FEE STUDENT LOANS 9 YEARS AGE*

THE PROBLEM MOST AFRICANS IN AFRICA HAVE [from top to bottom] IS A LACK OF PROCESS AND DISCIPLINE TO INVESTIGATE AND ORGANISE STUFF PROPERLY- IN THIS CASE: NOT BEING THOROUGH AND PROPERLY RESEARCHING A TOPIC BEFORE DELVING INTO IT!!!

UNFORTUNATELY, IT IS VERY TYPICAL*

• Eguono

June 8, 2012 at 8:56 am

Thanks Jacqueline for your reply. I am the author and I am very well traveled and have seen the world from the perspective of people from different cultures and nations. I like all the different definition of success you have outlined, however the ones most seen by majority of mankind are the ones in the dictionary. Note that dictionaries generally define success as fame, wealth, having a lot of affluence, etc and if you will agree with me that connotes materialistic tendencies. The entire idea of the article is be what you want, how you want, and on your own terms not on the terms of what the media through different channels feed our brains daily. No one will directly feed your brain with materialism, rather, they will subliminally do it without you knowing and that is what marketing is based upon. Sometimes, if you deeply consider the opposite of conventional wisdom, you will discover things that could change your entire view of the world. Once again, thanks for taking the time to write out such a long comment.

2. Ndidi

May 9, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Truth!

3. Nkiru

May 9, 2012 at 2:37 pm

i like this piece. It’s reassuring for those who feel intimidated by the fame and acclaimed wealth of others but i agree with the writer that success should be measured by an individual’s goal and standard set by himself for himself and not by others.

4. revivedafrikana

May 9, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I am not looking to be as successful as bill gate and the rest on the list. Getting a degree, owning a business, having extra money to help the poor those will be my successes.

Not everyone can be as successful as those people, you just have to define what your success will look like. You cannot be the next oprah or steve jobs.
    This quotes are there just to help you work harder. You can use them as reference for your own motivation

5. aneye toto

May 9, 2012 at 2:51 pm

9ice

6. Odior

May 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm

Fanstatic…i say it all the time…i surely believe there are people out there with achievements that are overwhelming….

7. Gidi

May 9, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I had no shoes – GEJ

• IMO

May 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

LOOOOOLLLLL!!!! That was surely forgotten- how’s dat for a measure of success!

• becca

May 9, 2012 at 7:39 pm

LOOOOOL!!!

8. lol

May 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

set your goals, pray and when its achieved be content. Nice piece

9. lara

May 9, 2012 at 3:31 pm

so true

10. ade

May 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Nice contribution,i totally agree with you.This people have been given oppourtunities in one way or the other either through familly background,race,country,political cronism and what have you.We all desire not to be only successful but outstanding.WE need to read the book-OUTLIERS

11. Funmi.nikky

May 9, 2012 at 3:47 pm

The write-up is on point. Success can be defined by individual achievement under a given circumstance not a general yardstick of materialism.

12. leila

May 9, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Well written and the perfect definition of success!!!

13. IMO

May 9, 2012 at 3:53 pm

A nice read, good lesson to learn… its just dat personally i am probably my worst critic… I have managed to excel academically, bagging a masters degree n bout wrapping d second- in very different fields (story 4 another day), whilst selling accessories to make some money to complement family support, my friends think I’m driven and heading somewhere great, I believe it most times…but when my plans fail or i fail at something, it feels like death cos i’ m scared of being ordinary and by dat i mean not being of meaningful impact/relevance to my society…I’d like to be an employer of labour and a large one at that in my field… I cant lie a part of this is influenced by some of this stereotypical notion of success, but for the most part- I see the possibility of changing things in my sector and I’ve put in too much time n effort to rest now…. I guess I should be more grateful on the days things don’t work out n keep pushing… but where do u draw d line between resisting mediocrity and pursuing success….or can we ever really?

14. Chinel

May 9, 2012 at 4:01 pm

nice write up! absolutely true that we should focus on the goals that give us a personal sense of fulfillment.

15. Tos tos

May 9, 2012 at 4:10 pm

nice one eggy….i cud fight you on bb…bt ds piece deserves a gud appraisal…thumbs up gurl….i concur in every!!! btw watch out for my success story!!! *winks*xx

16. Jess

May 9, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I came here to leave the same comment Gidi left haha. I do agree though, these sob stories do nothing for me. You can be inspired by other peoples stories as long as you remember that their definition of success doesn’t have to be yours.

17. BettyB

May 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm

In our society many want to be famous, mostly so that they can be recognized by the world or for other self-centred gain. I blame in on our culture that turns ordinary people into celebrities for being ordinary. What set all those people apart is that they did not set out to be famous. Each person sets their own standard, nothing wrong in aspiring to be world renowed if that is what you desire.

18. ighxo

May 9, 2012 at 4:22 pm

Eggy, this is posh. Love it.

19. InCotonou

May 9, 2012 at 5:34 pm

THis post totally misses the point. These stories are told precisely so that people who are in difficult circumstances should not be discouraged. Regarding the woman who raises 6 kids by selling roadside fish, that is also an inspiring story. One inspiring story does not take away from another. And if people read Steve Job or Oprah Winfrey story and see only materialism, that is because this is what they want to see. The fault is not in the stories, it is in the people who focus on the wrong things when they read them.

And it is funny that this writer should start by saying I received this story on my Blackberry, and then blame judge others for seeking material success. What is materialism? Who defines when a person has gone past what is necessary to live a healthy happy life and is now in the grip of materialism? And by this definition, is a Blackberry considered a necesiity or a luxury?

Different stories are told at different level to reach different people. Steve Jo is a story of success, just like the woman who roats fish. The only reason you feel that one is more visible than the other is because you move in certain circles and are exposed to this information. I can assure you that in other circles, the woman who roasts fish IS the role model!

• sassycassie

May 9, 2012 at 8:11 pm

took the words outta my mouth
      sassycassie

• FBN

May 9, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Not everyone who gets a blackberry is being materialistic or trying to show-off, y’know? I appreciate being able to get my email on the go, has nothing to do with being materialistic.

• lafunky

May 9, 2012 at 10:55 pm

I share the same view as you. You have done the typing for me. Thank you.
      If the author wasn’t being materialistic, she should have referred her blackberry as a ‘phone’. Materialism is a BIG Problem in Nigeria, no wonder people (some) are corrupt/engage in silly things as they have to keep up with their status.

• Twix

May 9, 2012 at 11:14 pm

• fairweatherfriend(not)

May 10, 2012 at 9:28 am

True, your points very valid(except for the BB thing) , just as the writer’s as well..

• fairweatherfriend(not)

May 10, 2012 at 9:29 am

True, your points are very valid(except for the BB thing) , just as the writer’s as well..

• Eguono Ago

May 10, 2012 at 11:01 am

Thanks for your comment, I appreciate it. The media constantly bombards us with unrealistic materialistic stories which subtly gets into our subconscious and thus, shape our values and attitudes towards life. If you look around and compare with 10 years ago, one will notice that a lot has changed with the way people view success. The reality is that, the more we get bombarded with these examples of success, the more we are inclined to consider them the only yardstick for success and this is prevalent in the “get rich or die trying” mentality we see all around. People these days do not think of the personal fulfillment and then they make the money and become famous and still cant pinpoint their achievements. To add a bit of humor, I would also add that own a very cheap Blackberry which I got because of work purposes. I hope I have been able to make the premise of the article a bit clearer to you. Thank you.

• missus

May 10, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Y’all shd chill abeg…d writer mentioned broadcast n dt obviously implies blackberry as broadcasts are synonymous with the blackberry device…so witout even mentioning blackberry it was already obvious wat d writer was referring to…

20. Gimmer

May 9, 2012 at 5:40 pm

Noteworthy piece…

21. Erons

May 9, 2012 at 6:20 pm

My very intelligent, this is nice, truth be told the general perception of success is quite wrong, nice one Eggy

22. muynee

May 9, 2012 at 6:31 pm

truth….well told.

23. Ajoke

May 9, 2012 at 6:35 pm

“Success is the progressive realization of a worthy ideal”. This is the definition Earl Nightingale gives in his motivational tape “The Strangest Secret”.  Essentially what he is saying is that if someone is working towards a worthwhile goal whether it is becoming a teacher or becoming a billionaire, that person is Successful. Thus,  Iya Tunde can be seen to be as successful as Oprah or Bill Gates because they all achieved the worthwhile goals they set out to accomplish.

I think the message from the BBM broadcast is NOT that in order for you to be successful you need to have achieved a certain level of wealth or social status, rather it’s saying that if certain individuals can come from extraordinarily bad circumstances and change them to extraordinarily good circumstances then you as an average person should be able to accomplish your goals as well.

Someone could have sent out a BBM broadcast about what Iya Tunde accomplished to convey the same message. I think people use well known people because well, we all know them & the message tends to be stronger when you use exaggerated circumstances as examples.

24. unknowed

May 9, 2012 at 7:10 pm

In my own word . ” I worked as a high class call girl in London to pay my university fees”
    But today I am now a director on my own company…..

25. Ruth

May 9, 2012 at 7:53 pm

@incontonou I agree with you. This stories are meant to inspire u. We sometimes focus on the fame and money they have and forget the real point in their stories, which is perseverance and never giving up on your dreams. Pressing forward no matter the challenges you face…. It might surprise you that this people quoted in your article, might not see themselves as successful. They may have not reached or achieved what they want in life……Achieving your goal is success and remember success is at different levels, for example, if my academic goal is to finish school at a certain age or come out with a 1st class, if I am able to achieve that, I am successful academically. Same applies to other areas of one’s life.

26. Anon

May 9, 2012 at 9:12 pm

This is not written in an intellectual manner or a motivational manner like the writer so obviously intends to do. I read the first couple of lines and immediately thought this writer is drunk on hater–ade . I get your point, its really valid but the way you put it across is too much like your envying them . You seem to forget that they actually rose from grass to grace and by telling their stories, they invite the lay-man never to give up and to continue to perservere . You on the other hand are persuading them to relax in a situation where improvements can be made.

• Sureboy

May 9, 2012 at 10:36 pm

I agree wit you 100%. Thanks for being an objective reader. Your eyes are wide open, and your head is screwed on right! Nice one

• Makema

May 10, 2012 at 7:37 am

There will always be people like this who just totally miss the mark! But what would we do without comments like yours eh? At least now, people can fight on BN because sometimes being reasonable is…boring.

• Africhic

May 10, 2012 at 10:30 am

Yikes!!!! Chill

27. Bella Noire

May 9, 2012 at 9:15 pm

Wole Soyinka did not receive a 3rd class degree. Read http://saharareporters.com/gallery/photonews-wole-soyinka

28. Corner stone

May 9, 2012 at 9:45 pm

@ inCotonou Ʊ xpressed my very thots….inspiring stories differ cos of different experiences…my story can inspire somone else whether I have a lot of money and riches or not..all these people Ʊ mentioned were probably worse of than d woman d̶̲̥̅̊α̲̅τ̲̅ sells akara..pls get it right the ir stories simply say Ʊ can make somthing good out of ϋя life if lots of riches come with it Thank God 4 it and Live it.
    @ anon 9.12pm—WORD!!!

29. Lynn

May 10, 2012 at 12:30 am

Honestly, you’re totally missing out the point in these stories. They were told to motivate people never to give up and also not to let their present situation discourage them from pressing on. When you talk about success it is absolutely a personal thing cos a palmwine tapper in the village can aspire to become a carpenter in the village and if he strives to get there, then that is success to him. Someone with a HND may be praying to God to just get a job that pays at least 100k a month whereas a Masters/Ph.D graduate will aim much higher. Each individual has his/her own understanding of success and this becomes their driving force depending on how high they want to climb. Everyone is a success but only when your success affects others will it be recognised, if you are successful and using your money for yourself alone without impacting others positively…then nobody will hear about you. Only your family members and your neighbours will see your new car, new house and other lil achievements of yours. But when your success rubs off on others, then you will be recognised so you cannot compare the iya Tunde with someone like Ellen who gives out gifts on her show. Iya Tunde’s success only affects her kids and neighbours who know what she has done and how she did it.

You asked about the measure of success??? There is no measure of success, it is to infinity so the question is how far are you willing to go? Those people you mentioned above did not just go the extra mile; they went extra extra extra extraaaaaaa….. mile.

You also asked: At what stage does one earn the right to be referred to as successful? You don’t need anybody’s approval or justification to tell you that you’re successful, success starts with you so if you wait for people to come and tell you how successful you are, then you go wait tire. See it from within because only you knows where you are coming from and where you are today.

Finally, you asked: Does it have to be acknowledged worldwide before an individual can be accurately referred to as successful? NO, it doesn’t have to be. You can be successful in your village, street, town, etc depending on how far you want to go. Chimamanda Adichie definitely did not just decide to write one book, she persisted and continued to write more books till she got recognised internationally. It’s really a personal decision

I just wrote an article on success titled SUCCESS IS A PROCESS…you can check it out here http://lynnville.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/success-is-process.html

30. mayowa

May 10, 2012 at 7:50 am

Why should i be another Oprah? That spot is taken!
    I would rather be MAYOWA and be known for how I make the world a better place in my own way…. nice piece. (thinking outta the box)

31. Sugabelly

May 10, 2012 at 8:58 am

But WHAT is this article? You obviously didn’t get it. And a 9 year old child getting raped is not something to go blah blah blah at.

What a horrible, clueless article.

32. Eguono Ago

May 10, 2012 at 11:14 am

@ Anon – Thanks for your comment, I totally appreciate it. I get that some of them rose from grace to grass however the point is if we do not know them individually to really know their story, then it is best we do not make them the yardsticks for our own success stories because when we do not achieve what they have achieved after we have put as much work as they did, we could end up frustrated. The article was written on the premise that success should be objective to your own life and was not intended to hate.

33. pynk

May 10, 2012 at 12:43 pm

haba BN! the point of telling the story of others is not to imply that you should be like these people. The point is to let you know that you might face extreme hardships or difficulties in life, however if you define your own success it is attainable. It tells us not to be discouraged. There was nothing about materialism in the BBM broadcast, the people referenced are merely well known people who happen to have a lot of money. Not many know who Iya fish seller who lives in your neighborhood and sent her 6 kids to university is, but they do know who Oprah or Steve Jobs is.
    Success isnt by accident, if you check out most of these people it is their fanaticism (good or bad) that got them their level of “success”. Only you can define what success is to you, no one can do that for you.

34. Dede

May 10, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Thanks InCotonou, Lynn and Pynk for your comments. Took the words out of my mouth. The writer needs to understand that people are motivated when they hear success stories of others not just those who are renowned but anyone who has been able to surmount their challenges and attain their dreams. I graduated with a third class (my fault cos I was playful in school but got myself together after), I was discouraged by people that I wasn’t good enough but now my present status (working for an international company) is a testament to the fact that through unrelenting resolve, one can achieve his or her goals in life. Mine, I would also add, it’s also cos God gave me strength to go on when everyone else gave up on me. I look back and it’s unbelievable how far I have come. The world doesn’t know my name but in my own right I am a success and would gladly tell anyone that no matter what, don’t give up on yourself!

35. OmogeNaija

May 11, 2012 at 8:58 am

Nice one, while I take a cue from your article, I think we should look at these people based on their achievements, not the wealth they have amassed, Bill Gates for coming up with Microsoft, Ben Carson for pioneering different kinds of successful and not so successful neurosurgeries, success in my opinion is using your gifts and talents to positively affect human lives, to live your assignment and fulfil purpose.
    While I am not a neurosurgeon, Ben Carson is one of my mentors, he rose from being the dumbest in class to being one the world’s finest neurosurgeons

36. yuware oronsaye

May 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm

hallo evryone,we will all agree dt dis is nice,not sayin dis cuza knw d writer,am sayin dis cuz ve read it 3ce more nd most words i read re rili true,in this new day world if somone isnt squandering publicly or declaring wealth publicly he is not seen as ‘sucessful’ nd dats not right.its obvious dt not evrybody can agree to dis write but its not evryone too dt cud come up wit it bfor my friend did,i heard som ple sayin ‘u took words outta my mouth nd stuffs’. meaning dey had d notion in but cudnt come out to post either for fear of bin criticized or fear of bin seen as ‘knw it all’….. well tanx alot Eggy for bringing this to our consciousness nd u shdnt feel bad abt any crticism bt learn frm it cuz dis here,is a good start……..tanx agn fr d lecture….muaaaaaaaaah

37. yuware oronsaye

May 11, 2012 at 3:03 pm

hahahahahaha pple re rili funny,somone actually sed dis article is clueless,ve u chekd d dictionary for a proper meang of dt word?anoda claims to better be known for his name,whoeva sed u shd be known for d names written in d article?dey whr mentioned as an example of wat d world has solely accepted as ‘sucess’ true tho cuz d general perception of sucess isnt entirely right.somone wrote dt d writer was bin materialistc by writing blackberry,lets not forget she was talking about ‘broadcast’ a type of is obviously been sent only by blackberry fones.pls pple shd read this nd learn a lesson not looking for wrong words or reading meanings to it.and mind u the writer never mentioned blackberry fone to show of,it came up cuz she was talking about the broadcast(blackberry BC)whch was the first part of the whole message written in italics.well ‘sucess’ as a word canot nd shud neva be described by materialism or fame of an individua,as u may not evn be known but sucexful.then again somone else askd wat Oprah’s rape has got to do wit the article,my dear it has evrytin to do oh,ve seen girls dt whr raped in the past nd affectd dem so well that dey cud mk out notin of themselvs in future,do u knw wat rape can do to a person’s psychology nd all?i doubt u do.so dt rape part was to tell u dt evn Oprah dt was raped too came out as not jus a huge sucess but a ‘huge famous sucess’ tho again to tell u ts not jus abt d whole world knowing u as a sucess u actually call sucess…tanx Eggy dis is nice rili it is

38. yuware oronsaye

May 11, 2012 at 3:26 pm

hahahahahahaha saw somone write dt dis is clueless,pls consult ur dictionary to get a clearer meang of dt word,nd also someone sed d writer is materialistic by stating ‘blackberry in the write’ that was done bcos she got d above message about the sucessful names (written in italics) frm d BC(broadcast)sent to her and such message is obviously sent by a blackberry fone(pls note.someone else sed y shud he be Oprah,no one sed u shd be anoda oprah but ts just a step or example to show u dt thru such stories u cud be motivated,nd speakg about rape at 9,whch is so essential in d write ts two ways(1)som pple get raped nd dt can damage d future cuza psychology nd belief in hersef(2)even afta Oprah’s rape she stood up nd wasnt ltd nd is today not jus a sucess but a ‘huge famoue sucess’….dese re jus examples to motivate pple not to compare deir lives seen?tanx again Eggy for d beautiful writeup

39. yuware oronsaye

May 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm

hahahahahahahahahahah somone wrote ‘dis is clueless’ pls chek up ur dictionary for a clearer meang of dt word,nd also somome sed d writer is been materialistc by stating blackberry,no now that was done becos the above names written above the article in italics,the one about stories nd names of sucessful pple,it was gotten thru a sent BC(broadcast)knwn to used by only blackberry users that why it came up.then again somone asked wat has the rape got to do with dis write,my dear alot o,cuz som pple can as a result of rape loose focus for deir entire future,so this came up for two reasons;one, alredy stated,not evryone survived nd became sucessful afta bin raped as it damages their psychology totally;also evn afta rape Oprah wasnt limited but stl strong nd believg till she became a ‘huge famous sucess’……the examples stated in this article shud not give a wrong notion,all it mearnt was jus to illustrate examples for d topic at hand and motivate pple,seen?remain blesdd yall

40. Aina

May 18, 2012 at 11:43 am

People need to understand that success should be measured by themselves and not by what people tell them.
    Fortunately, only you know what you are capable of and going the extra mile.
    We should also understand that been rich or famous isn’t the only yardstick for measuring success.
    We can all be successful in our little ways in our environs.
    Eggy love it.

41. soteria

May 21, 2014 at 8:56 pm

nice publication..d true test of success is nt rilli in material possession bt is when you are happy