Music

BN Music Friday Top 5 – Back in the Day

Time Travel

It’s Friday again and you know what that means – another edition of BN Music Friday Top 5.

I walked into the office a few days ago and one of my colleagues was unknowingly humming Baba Fryo‘s “Dem Go Dey Pose” and it got us all riled up. So, we started laughing and reminiscing songs of old. Inspired by the nostalgia, I took to the internet in search of some of those “hits” from way back when and here’s what I found:

5. Daddy Showkey – Somebody Call My Name

4. Tony Tetuila – You Don Bash My Car

3. Trybes Men – Oya

2. Remedies – Shako Mo

1. Plantashun BoizDon’t You Know

I found a handful of some more nostalgic videos from the ’90s and the turning of the millennium and was glued to Youtube for a couple of hours trying to sort which ones to put up – from Azadus to Sound Sultan; Eedris Abdulkareem to African China; Lagbaja to Onyeka Onwenu and so many more.

But, It’s a top five countdown so there are only so many songs that can make it and well, even fewer whose videos I could find online. But, to break the rules a little, here’s an all star collaboration video from… to be honest, I don’t even know the year this was out but it was a hit.

Check on it.

Watch Tony Tetuila Feat. Ruff, Rugged & Raw and Plantashun Boiz – Omode Meta N Sere

So, with all that said, I’ll be right here waiting for you next week; and as I always say vivere senza rimpianti” (to live without regrets). Have a great day.

1. Lovely Grace

June 15, 2012 at 4:11 pm

i love it! thanks!

2. Partyrider

June 15, 2012 at 4:39 pm

Lmaooooo….I swear naija music has come a long way.
    See Sasha, see eldee Buhahahahahahahaha we thank the lord.

• Sabirah

June 17, 2012 at 1:42 am

Like! and Dr Sid. LOOOOL

3. ushees

June 15, 2012 at 5:55 pm

omG!!! dis is really hilarious…lmfao

4. purplepearl

June 15, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Back in the days, brings back some good memories………

5. Dr fomsky

June 15, 2012 at 6:51 pm

Dem go de pose was the SONG!!

6. HRS

June 15, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Mehn!!!!!!!! I loved these songs back then! Esp “U don bash my car” and “Mi o shako mo” …lol…! Thanks for bringing them back, love all!

7. Jane

June 16, 2012 at 3:36 am

this is hilarious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. o

June 16, 2012 at 4:16 am

Azadus was really good.

9. faith

June 16, 2012 at 7:10 am

»̶-̶̶ †̥ånKz-► bn

10. Gidi

June 16, 2012 at 9:58 am

going further back. to the days of Alex Zitto’s Tickle Me, Adewale Ayuba’s Bonsue Fuji, Daniel Wilson’s Mr. Ragamuffin and Etiene T.Boy’s Chop I Chop.
    Old age!!!

11. Dee-USA

June 17, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Mike Okri’s Rhumba Dance, Lt. Shot Gun’s Baby jo wo, Seyi Sodimu’s Love me jeje…

12. Dee-USA

June 17, 2012 at 5:48 pm

LMAO! What does “oyibo rekpete” mean? That video was so wack, it was genuinely funny. Does Tony Tetuila have any discernible talent?

Menn, that Oya video got em good. Those were the days menn. Everyone looking hungry under the intense Naija heat.

Eedris was the biggest con rhyme artist of all time. What exactly was he saying 90% of the time? I barely remembered the video, those mug shots with different shades were killing me softly. But I still like the song sha (covers face.) Jiggy jiggy baby!

Tuface…when he still had a voice was dope. I still remember that omo de meta video vividly. Even Black face’s “And I can go, and I can go on and on…rap” I loved this jam even though I didn’t know what anything meant and didn’t care for Tony Tetuila in it. I think this was 98 or 99.

Pls don’t diss me, but been trying to remember who sang this song called wetin dey. I can only give some parts of the chorus. If anyone remembers this, please help a sister out: “Where dey ma yarn oh, kilon so. Wetin dey, na wetin dey dey kilon so, talo nso kpe, hip hop never come to stay.” Or something like that…any takers?

13. Dee-USA

June 17, 2012 at 6:41 pm

I just followed the Remedyies song to Youtube so I could find other songs to rip and came across some songs by Azadus. I remember that name, but don’t remember any songs linked to him. But I think he was the one belting the chorus I posted above. If that helps.

14. haywhy

April 10, 2021 at 10:05 am

Def o clan(rabbai,buzzman,cyclone nd azadus) kilonso