News

BN Prose: Wrecked by Didi Umeaku

The time was 2.15pm. We were sprawled out lazily across my bed with our legs still entangled. Even with the summer’s heat, his warmth felt  invigorating. “It’s just sex.” This is what I told myself, especially for affirmation and a self-reminder that I had no emotional expectation from this. I wanted to hold on to this moment forever but I didn’t think of myself as one who was up for wifey drama, neither did I think I was a home wrecker. With Dave and I, it was a unique blend of unburdening our professional difficulties at work, offering each other advice and then long hours of unabated pleasure.

I met Dave at the annual banking conference couple of months ago. He stood out in a crowd of old men in their stiffly starched jackets, because he didn’t wear a jacket and towered over them. His voice was calm and stilled and he smiled all the time. On the second day of the conference Dave sat across the table from me during the lunch break. I had felt his eyes before I looked up. I barely heard the conversation going on round the table, I guess he didn’t either. I excused myself to go make a call. It was one I didn’t have to make but I was getting uncomfortable there and had to leave. Walking down the hallway with the phone to my ear, I stopped at a corner and heard the footsteps closing in.

“Hey babe, awake already?” he interrupted my reverie. “What were you dreaming about with your eyes open, hmm?” I raised my head from his chest to look into his face now and as usual there is always a calm smile on it.

“Dreaming about my promotion at the office !” I responded with a chuckle. He lightly tugged my earlobe with his teeth, “And I thought all that loving would’ve knocked you off to a deep sleep”, he grinned. “Well, it’s a holiday hun, so sleep all you want, we don’t have to rush back to work” he stated happily. “Neither do you have to rush back home.” I added. He raised an eyebrow mockingly.

“Has someone been missing me?” he smirked. “Don’t flatter yourself, Dave” I replied.
The loud shrill of his cell phone pierced the air; I reached to get it for him. He answered it with so much reluctance, I sat up when he started sounding  apprehensive.

“What!? how?…ok…calm down…you called 911…I’m on my way…don’t call Mrs Taun yet…do you hear me?..I’m on my way. ” I jumped out of bed as he did, my bewildered look asking all the questions. “What happened?” He hurriedly picked up his stuff looking dazed, I figured it must have been a problem at his home. I never had to concern myself with his household details. I wasn’t some crazy female trying to tear a man from his family. We had an overwhelming chemistry going on between us and there was no need to peddle into each others business outside the good thing that we had going.

He still looked confused as he fiddled with his shoes, I moved across the bed to him and gently started rubbing his shoulders, “What is going on?” I coaxed.

“My 3 year old son Ose, just had an accident……” A son? He has a son?
“He is autistic and frequency gets into little accidents…but this…this one sounds severe.” He was shaking now. He shrugged off my hands and stood up;I sat on the bed dazzled. He has a sick child!? I barely know this man, I’m only familiar with his professional life even more than his wife does. I got dressed quickly and raced after him. He was downstairs already starting his car but the recurrent spurting of the engine was an indication that he wasn’t going to get out of there as soon as he’d hoped.

He cussed loudly punching his fist on the hood of the car.

“Okay I will drive you. You need to get there as soon as possible.”

The ride to his home was uncomfortable; I felt more like a thief rather than a helper with each mile I closed and the silence in the car wasn’t helping. I’d never seen him this way. He was very unlike his calm self and the smile was off his face too. Maybe now was the time to find out more about the man I’d been with all these months.
“So how many kids do you have”.
He groaned aloud. “Arrgh, can’t you see I can’t deal with trivial questions right now?”
“I know but I was only trying to lighten the mood!” After a while he looked remorseful, “Sorry, I shouldn’t have screamed at you that way. I’m just..” He trailed off, staring out of the window, he continued,  “I was supposed to be with Ose today, we pay $35 per hour for an aide to take care of him because of his special needs. My wife had to work at the hospital today and suggested I spend the day with my son. Well, I paid my inexperienced neighbor’s daughter, a high school kid to sit him instead of being there for my son…Stop right here, there is my house.”

The ambulance was already there, the stretcher with Ose on it was loaded into the van as Dave and a pretty lady held the boy’s hands talking quickly. Everyone was moving very fast, trying to rush the boy to the hospital. The pretty lady seemed angry at Dave as she kept thrusting her finger at his chest. Dave jumped into the back of the ambulance van, our eyes met and he stared at me not with a sensual fever but with a void look which turned self-accusing. The pretty woman who I suspected was his wife slowly turned around with tears in her eyes; she caught my stare and paused to look at me. At that moment recognition seeped in. Standing there in her hospital scrubs was my cousin Rena, her eyes widened with confusion as she moved closer to my car.

She halted and asked “Nade, is that you?”.

Photo credit: agefotostock.com

1. Kach

August 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

Wow… I sure want more…

2. Floxybee

August 7, 2012 at 9:18 am

#Gengen…..Lobatan *K-solo’s voice*

3. LPS

August 7, 2012 at 9:21 am

4. Nelo

August 7, 2012 at 9:25 am

“WTF” was my exact expression at the end….i so want the story to continue.Welldone Didi, very well written story

5. lazioman

August 7, 2012 at 9:26 am

Wow. This is deep!

lazioman.blogspot.com

6. IRepNaija

August 7, 2012 at 9:29 am

Good story but “I’m only familiar with his professional life even more than his wife does”????

7. Aiyowie's baby

August 7, 2012 at 9:34 am

I dnt get hw she wldnt knw it was her cousin’s hubby..nice write up tho

• jmayaki

August 7, 2012 at 9:40 am

i don’t get how she doesn’t know her cousin’s surname? or even know the husband?

8. of course

August 7, 2012 at 9:40 am

na so the story end?

9. O.

August 7, 2012 at 9:54 am

I’m sorry, but this story is not very plausible. Fiction should be believable too.

10. Bdammy

August 7, 2012 at 10:03 am

Holy Shit!!! I want moreeeeeee, pls finish d story

• d-real

August 7, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Trust me, no shit is holy…That’s just blasphemous!!

• Nneka

August 8, 2012 at 4:52 pm

hahahaha… and how about “holy cow”?

Nice write up Didi.

11. mde ato

August 7, 2012 at 10:08 am

HMMMMMMM

12. brandigest

August 7, 2012 at 10:08 am

We need more…. why end it that way?

13. lola

August 7, 2012 at 10:09 am

@ Jmayaki and Aiyowie’s baby, its possible not to know your cousins husband especially if u’re not close and you didnt attend the wedding, i know i have a few cousins whose husbands names or even face have absolutely no data bank in my memory, of cos i know some of my cousins husbands but with a large family i cant keep track or even attend all weddings, the bigger crime would be not to know my siblings husbands name or face now that is preposterous @@

14. DANIA DAMILOLA

August 7, 2012 at 10:10 am

e haff finish!!!!!!!!!!!!! home wrecker toh badt! gen gen

15. elaine

August 7, 2012 at 10:11 am

nice story

16. Lulu

August 7, 2012 at 10:12 am

Very funny. Her cousin recognised her, so obviously they have a relationship. She didnt know her cousin’s married name, abi wetin? She didnt know the first name of her cousin’s husband? Her cousin has a 3year old son, so they’ve been married for a few years, in all that time, she never knew the guy’s name, even if she never met him. Obviously they are in the same geograhical location, you mean she has never met the guy before?

• Debo

August 7, 2012 at 11:10 pm

Hmmmm, as much as it is easy to pick holes in a story, let me use a real life example. Was in d same class (in primary school) with a 3rd cousin of mine (her mum and mine are 2nd cousins) and we didn’t know we were related. The surname was familiar to my mum (because my aunty’s husband is also from the same place as my mum and her cousin) but she has no idea what her cousin’s surname was. Till they met one day during school run.

• Myne Whitman

August 11, 2012 at 3:32 pm

You’re right, adding the whole cousin melodrama opened unnecessary holes in the otherwise well written story

17. Lulu

August 7, 2012 at 10:17 am

Picture this scenario, your cousin’s married name is Animashaun, there is no way in hell, you won’t know her husband’s name. Ok, lets give allowance for she has never met him, but to not know his name, hmmmn. Ok, lets give further allowance, she forgot her cousin’s husband’s name, it happens. So, one day you meet a Dave Animashaun, wont you put two and two together, and even ask the guy, my cousin Rena is married to a Dave Animashaun, dont tell me, are u my in-law? Or, my cousin is married to the Animashaun family, cant remember his first name now, do you know a Rena Animashaun? Didi, there are enough holes the size of Texas in this your story o. Even people who have office affairs are not that callous, as in, they are not that tuned off from the man’s personal life. Natural curiosity will set in, no matter how good the sex is. Conversation will have strayed to his family once in a while. The man would have mentioned his family, even if it is once, unless he is a cold unfeeling bastard, who completely dissociates himself from his famly, while doing the nasty. Yes it is a prose, doesnt mean it is an escape from reality. This reads to me like a script from one of the infamous Nollywood movies. Lol

• Princess

August 8, 2012 at 7:19 pm

I guess u haven’t heard of things like first cousins and second cousins, my 2nd cousin and I were in same department in school and I didn’t know still she lost her mum and we met at the burial, she is married now I don’t know her husband or know her husband name, I cud meet her husband here in London cos I heard he is here have a fling and later find out oh dats my cousins husband

18. creamy

August 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

gen! gen!

19. debbie egwuogu

August 7, 2012 at 10:24 am

Na wa ooooooooooo!

20. prose guru

August 7, 2012 at 10:26 am

had a feelin it wud end lik dis veri prdictable nd not well construted . more lik a short story

21. DFD

August 7, 2012 at 10:28 am

Nice one.

22. Ozyy

August 7, 2012 at 10:29 am

itz possible she doesnt kw ha cousinz hubby or last name..dey mst av grown apart n kw lil abt themselves..i sure dnt know all ma cousins n der names talk more of der hubbies namess.

23. QueenofEverything

August 7, 2012 at 10:31 am

oh dear!!

24. tbn

August 7, 2012 at 10:35 am

Nice story which piqued my interest for more… I think its possible not to know one’s cousin’s husband, i say so because I’m not so close to my cousins and I hardly know their spouses, even though i know some of them…go figure. I noticed that the entangled legs in the picture look like two men’s legs as opposed to those of a man and woman… lol

• Missus

August 7, 2012 at 11:16 am

You may not know your cousin’s husband. Fine, but to not know your cosuin’s married name. A cousin that recognised you from a distance away, is not one of those myriads of cousins we all have. I dont know all my cousins, bcos my family is large, but the ones that can recongise me from far away and vice versa, i at least know their married names, even if i forget the names of their husbands once in a while.

• Ore

August 7, 2012 at 12:05 pm

Like you said, that’s you. I come from a large family and obviously do not know a quarter of my cousins. Even for the ones I do know, that would recognize me from anywhere, I have no clue who their girlfriends are or even if they have one at all. If the lady didn’t know, she didn’t know. Anything can happen, she might have ventured to once and was stopped by the man for all we know but the story also told us she wasn’t interested in his married life. Was she stupid for doing that? Yes but it’s pretty plausible and possible.

25. Chika

August 7, 2012 at 10:39 am

Oboy!!! It’s never good to mess around, who never know you have been sleeping with.

26. Fola

August 7, 2012 at 10:41 am

O boy! thats a nasty revelation. having an affair with your cousin’s husband???

• Didi

December 30, 2014 at 4:08 pm

Fola,
      The story is not about me, but a fictionalized story about someone else’s experience.

27. ennie

August 7, 2012 at 10:42 am

choi! indian film!!

28. ricky

August 7, 2012 at 10:42 am

wow! hope there is more to this!

29. MizV

August 7, 2012 at 10:58 am

OMG! he left his autistic son at home for some side piece. shameful. he will never get over that guilt

30. kathryn cage

August 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

Lulu you have got it all wrong! There’s no way in the world you’ll know all your cousins’ husband names. This got me thinking, i don’t know a lot of my cousins’ married names. U can only know if you’re from a small family abeg.

• Missus

August 7, 2012 at 11:41 am

You may not know your cousin’s husband. Fine, but to not know your cosuin’s married name. A cousin that recognised you from a distance away, is not one of those myriads of cousins we all have. There are some cousins that come up to me in public, to say hi, and it takes me a few minutes to remember who they are. Sometimes I dont remember sef, adn go with the flow, but for sm1 the both of you recognised each other from far away. I highly doubt u wont at least know her married name, even if u forget her husband’s name or havent met him before. So, I like Lulu’s analogy. I dont know all my cousins, bcos my family is large, but the ones that can recongise me from far away and vice versa, i at least know their married names, and even the names of their kids

• Audrey

August 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Missus,You just contradicted yourself. Lets put the writer and her cousin in your place,your cousin who came up to you in public is the writer’s cousin and you are the writer.You notice that in the story the writer also didn’t recognise her cousin until she mentioned her name? it happens my dear

31. Greatness

August 7, 2012 at 11:23 am

Am at the edge of my sit now, please finish the story. Seated tite and waiting to read more, cause am more like oliver twist now.

32. anon

August 7, 2012 at 11:46 am

i grew up with this my cousin and obviously i cant remember her husbands last name, wth

33. Teebaby

August 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

It’s possible not to know your cousin’s marital name,there is actually no big deal to that,I have first cousins that I went to the uni with,all married now,they live in the north,we talk on the phone like every 3 months and for real I don’t know their marital names and I don’t see it as such a big deal ,very interesting story,can’t wait for the conclusion

34. meenah

August 7, 2012 at 12:00 pm

it is possible u dont know ur cousin’s husband’s name especially if u are not close…9c write-up…for dose criticising, pls send in urs

35. Lue

August 7, 2012 at 12:03 pm

theres no way you wont know your cousin’s husband name (a cousin that recognizes you fron a distance) or be facebook friends with her or even see one of the numerous wedding pictures somewhere (online)……no way.
    nice story btw

36. Nomy

August 7, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Toh! Good For you. And as for knowing your cousins husband, i have cousins who will recognize me on sight and i will recognize them too but i have no idea who their husbands are! I don’t even know the man’s name and they have one of these common Igbo surnames that tell you next to nothing about the bearer. Chichi Nweke comes to mind, what’s her husband’s name? what does he look like?

37. Sarah

August 7, 2012 at 12:25 pm

I love this prose, very thought-provoking. I just realised that I don’t know some of my cousins’ marital names too, so this story is not far from reality.

38. melzy

August 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm

i dont knw 4 of my cuzins husbands’ names,and i dont even knw how many children they hav,i onli knw dat dey are married and i can recognize dem if i see dem(my cuzins)

39. melzy

August 7, 2012 at 12:41 pm

so it is very possible,but rare sha

40. hadassah

August 7, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Lobatan o!!!
    @ all, very believable story. I do not know all my cousins’ husbands as a number of us drifted apart upon growing up… first cousins sef i mean. I do not know all their married names neither did i attend most of their weddings!

Very riveting writeup. Well done!

41. stacy

August 7, 2012 at 12:51 pm

more please!

42. bexxy

August 7, 2012 at 1:09 pm

Its very possible to have cousins and not know their even their 1st names, not to talk of their married surnames or their husbands.
    My dad is from a polygamous home and i av many cousins, mostly older ones and i don’t even rem their names, many of them r not in d country and we only see at family gatherings and functions. in fact many times our parents would av to introduce us to each other. Even the so called close ones dat r in naija, I cant rem their married names neither do i know their husbands except just a few very close ones from my mum’s family that I av details of.
    If she’s from my kind of family, its extremely possible.

• Pd

August 11, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Abi o…… I have older half brothers/ sisters that have lived abrad all their lives(still living sef) i dont know their names sef….pop don cross over.polygamous home na die ……cos we didt grow up together.

43. Audrey

August 7, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I have several cousins whose husbands or their surnames I don’t know. We live in the same City,I can easily recognise them anyday,it happens. Especially in an era like ours when extended family has lost it’s importance

44. Haba!

August 7, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Wow!!!!!!!!Mehn the guy neva told her he was married so there’s no way she could have suspected twas her cousin’s husband.Men wetin una wan chop no dey allow u use una brain ba!

• Lola

August 7, 2012 at 2:01 pm

U cant read. The story says, she knew the guy was married. Ah ah, is this sloppy reading, carelessness or just iiliteracy. I am from a large family too, but for me to recognise someone from a distance, and vice versa, and not know her married name. Thats very hard to believe o.

45. Alberta Sagoe

August 7, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Dis is very interesting, even though it needs some tightening here nd there 2 make it more realistic… But good work anyway.

46. Ola

August 7, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Well written

47. Kiz

August 7, 2012 at 2:13 pm

its possible especially since they didn’t talk about their personal lives, it was purely a sexual relationship

48. Kach

August 7, 2012 at 2:39 pm

BN Critics weldone! Even the best literary work has its critiques. What’s of importance to the author, is if his/her message is communicated effectively to the target audience. Long story, good-night.

49. chinco

August 7, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Why is the story based abroad. I like it though, but would have preferred it, naija based. Its very possible sha, cus my 1st cousin just got married abroad, and I don’t even know the wife or anything abt her family. Its very possible.

50. cathy

August 7, 2012 at 4:25 pm

what a life!

51. Paula

August 7, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I want more……….pls continue

52. NNENNE

August 8, 2012 at 1:29 am

Small world! .Be careful what you do.

53. femena

August 8, 2012 at 1:37 am

Wrecked Part 2 coming out very soon…To God Be The Glory lol

54. Princess of Zion

August 8, 2012 at 11:53 am

Great story; very funny but I’ve heard similar stories that have actually happened! May that never be our portion in Jesus’ Name! Amen!

55. Rosie

August 9, 2012 at 2:05 pm

Nice story.. Nice concept.. Hope we get 2c a concluding part..

56. buchi

August 10, 2012 at 2:27 pm

lesson i picked from this story: Know thy extended family! LOL

57. maegan

August 10, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Omo..dis wan na gbagaun ooo hmmm

58. Pd

August 11, 2012 at 1:57 pm

I dont even know my older half brothers names talkless of cousins………God no catch us! I think i will ve to make more efforts to knw and see pictures! No wan run down!

59. Bianca

August 12, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Possibly the mistress was unaware her cousin was married,it happens especially with large families.Now she knows,should she tell her cousin and apologize to her?but can she live with not telling the rest of her life? or should she let go,by that I mean keep a sealed lip about what has transpired never to see the guy again.

60. Changing Faces

August 12, 2012 at 3:52 pm

The last time I checked I had 56 paternal 1st cousins, many living in the same city with me. How am I supposed to know all their families?

61. Missy

August 28, 2012 at 11:07 am

its very believable o. i come from a large family and i see most of my cousins only when i attend family gatherings (which for me are rare) i knw most of them re married but i dnt knw their husbands/ wives nor new surnames.

62. Busayo

September 16, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I don’t know what the fuss is about not knowing your cousin’s husband. I have a second cousin who has been married for some years. They now have 2kids. I was not able to attend the wedding and till today I don’t know the guy’s name, neither do I know my cousin’s new surname. I guess life happened and we grew apart. Not like I’m proud to say it, just saying, ‘it is soooo possible.’ Nice write up. Just that I wish for more. Well done Didi!